Stare Battle

Stare Battle

Seo Joohyun’s POV

 

Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. It was so quite that the clock’s sound could be heard clearly. But actually, I was not the only human being in this quite big classroom. Right in front of me, a really handsome boy was busy studying for the SAT, and I couldn’t agree more that his charm was overflowing when he concentrate, except for one – his mouth hung open –. I bended my stiff neck to the right and left, tried to excercise a bit because it was near an hour that I didn’t move from my position, and of course, I took a glance to see Jung Yonghwa, the boy I told you before. I was about to just glance at him, but I could not. I kept staring and observing him. Yonghwa is one of my classsmate, and I must admitted that we were more than friends, but we were not  a lover. ‘Some relationship’ I guessed? And yes, I liked him. No, I loved him.

Perhaps Yonghwa felt my staring, he stared me back, and here it was, our stare battle started. I was not confident, to be honest.

“What are you doing Hyuun~?”

“Still asking, huh? I’m staring at you uri babo Yong~.”

Mwo?” Yonghwa seemed angry to be called babo, or did he surprise with my boldness? It was a new thing for him, that a Seo Joohyun let her pride down in front of him.

But like always, he gained his sense quickly. He put the pencil down, and started shooting laser with his eyes. He sent a signal to the butterflies to tickle my abdomen and to hit the drums at my heart so that it beats really fast. Damn!. No, I can’t lose this battle. I positioned my seat, put my hand on my cheek, and I gave him my loveliest smile. I must win!

I saw a change on his stare. He was infected, but he was not Jung Yonghwa if he lose like that. He striked back, showed his aegyo. Omo! A Jung Yonghwa did an aegyo? What dream I had last night! I got lottery!

And just like that, second by second passed, and we still staring each other. I enjoyed the beatiful scenery in front of me – his eyes, and his mole of course –, but I couldn’t content my feelig. I was about going crazy trying to slower my heart beat. I was about to lose, but when I tried  to grab the gorden to hide my face, Yonghwa already put his head down, and grab the gorden immadiately to close his reddening face.

I smiled proudly by the fact that I won this battle. But I also couldn’t hide my nervousness. My face turned red without I realize it. I grab the gorden that already in Yonghwa’s possession, not to see Yonghwa’s face, but to hide my face. A minute passed by without a sound. When we could get  hold of ourselves, we back to our position.

“I won, right? Yes!”I mocked him and gave him a meroong~

“Ya! Joohyun-ah, you cheat! I was not even ready when you suddenly start staring at me”

                “Na?I cheat?Ani... But, wanna have another round to prove that I don’t cheat?”I challenge him, but I just didn’t realize the consequences of what I did.

                “Why not?” I really didn’t expect that Yonghwa will accept. My face was getting hot dan red although I didn’t meet his eyes yet. When I was starting to seek his eyes, he was already staring at my eyes, and of course I really couldn’t stand it.

                “I’m not ready yet Yoghwa...” I hide my face behind my palm as soon as I find his eyes.

                “Yes! Yuhuuu... this time I won. Assa!” How could he act like winning an olympiade? Hyper Yong striked again.

 “Aish… molla molla. Kajja, continue our study. Don’t waste time, okay?” I reasoned, actually just to hide my embarrassment.

“Joohyun loses! Merong~.” Here it was, Yong-choding is in the house.

“Ya! Jung Yonghwa!” I pretended to sulk. Oh God please help me... This is so heart racing.

“Lets study again”, I continued. Then I took the mathematics sheet, pretended to focus on it, whereas actually I still tried to manage this crazy racing heart of mine.

“Okay, okay, mianhae uri Joohyunie. By the way, how to solve this problem? From a while ago I tried to solve it this way but I can’t find the solution.”

 And just like that, our stare battle ended. We back to the papers, question sheets in front of us, studying in order to get the best result so that we can be accepted to our dream respective universities.