A Mall Meetup

W.H.A.L.I.E.N (Words Heard Alienated Like I Existed Never)

“Aish, I’m sorry I’m late. There was traffic and I overslept and..” My best friend had a grin on his face, his hands on his hips and had this giddy attitude I wanted to slap off of him. But that was my best friend.

 

“Kai, why are you staring like that. It’s so weird.”

 

“But you came!” He draped his arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug. I was baffled by him on me, the light scent of and cologne lingered on him still. It meant he was with his boyfriend Kyungsoo again last night. I sighed softly, scratching my head and ignored it.

 

“Why did you bring me here, I could’ve been sleeping...” I said quietly. When I got the message, I thought it was of urgency. My mom had just went to bed after taking care of Dongwoo all night and I had just pushed him to her again. I felt awful inside, I should be the one taking care of him, giving my mother a break for once. Kai handed me coffee, credit card, and a list.

 

“Two espresso shots, just the way you like it. We have a hour to get all of this done.”

 

“Kai, that’s a little bit unrealistic. There’s so many people here this morning surprisingly, I’m not going to get half of this done.” I glanced at the list. All of these are so specific. Left handed scissors, red plaid jeans, come on Kai, i left my family for this?

 

“It’s only unrealistic if you don’t start moving, let’s go slow .” He slapped my behind and I started going. I never agreed to it. But that was my best friend, I couldn’t possibly say no to him no matter what the request was. I reevaluated the list again, Most of it was art supplies so I head down to the nearest Micheal’s or art shop. Just searching and searching, thinking that I’m trying so hard for someone who doesn’t see me the way I see them. I sighed. What was Kai doing with Kyungsoo anyways? Kyungsoo never seemed like the type to date people anyways. He always seemed like he had something against the world but of course Kai would choose him over someone who knew him better than he knew himself. But then, I never told him how I felt and that bothered me. I kept searching. Sometimes I regret giving people my 100% because I know somehow in some way, they will find away to abuse it. Abuse me..  

 

“Where the hell is this fabric glue?”

 

“It’s up here.” A voice spoke down to my crouching down stance. I got up and picked up the fabric glue and turned to thank the person who helped me. I did and as embarrassment strikes, I bumped into him. He looked no older than I was, brown hair, brown eyes... sharp, stunning...

 

“Sorry, you’re in the way.” He reached over my shoulder and reached over to the nontoxic glue.

 

“Handsome..” I said in awe. I felt embarrassed but I couldn’t help myself. The man looked at me and raised an eyebrow. “I-I meant your glue. It’s a really good brand, we call it handsome.”

 

“Oh uh.. Right? Thank you.” He nodded and read the label in the back. I felt awkward. I should’ve just left but since I was here being held against my will, I should have myself a little fun, right? Even though I was an embarrassment to myself.

 

“No problem, um my name is Oh Sehun, what is yours?” I put the glue into the basket and bit my lip slightly, hoping he’d take note of my helpless flirting.

 

“Byun Baekhyun.” He put down one glue and looked at another one. He didn’t seem interested of what I had to say whatsoever. I was ready to go until he grabbed my wrist. “Oh Sehun. Let me ask you a question?”

 

“Yes Baekhyun?”

 

“If you were doing a project that included glue, which would you get, the normal glue or the glue that disappeared and left no marks?” He looked at me with all sincerity, I didn’t know what type of question that was but in all honestly, I hated glue. Glue made sick and that one episode of Powerpuff Girls made me sicker. But Baekhyun seemed like he really needed an answer.

 

“The one that disappear. Those are better because you don’t want to make mistakes on the paper often.” I nodded and smiled before walking off. A couple steps in and he called out my name.

 

“Oh Sehun, THANK YOU.” He smiled and got the disappearing glue. I waved to him. I suppose that was the last of him for now. Baekhyun seemed satisfied with his decision, I wasn’t sure why.. It was just glue. My phone vibrated, it was my mom. She sounded like she was crying.

 

“Mom.. Are you okay?”

 

“Yes son, where are you?”

 

“Working on a project at the mall with Kai.”

 

“Alright, I love you, be good okay?”

 

“Mom... are you alright?”

 

“Yea, I just had a dream that.. Something bad happened to you and Dongwoo woke up crying. I’m going to go take care of him so I’m leaving first.” She hung up the phone. Something bad to happen to me? I’m 21 years old. Why would something bad happen to me? Shaking my head I continued to look around for these weird miscellaneous items that Kai wanted me to buy for him. What kind of project was this for anyways? For a best friend, he surely doesn’t tell me a lot about his endeavors.

 

I got as much as I could, three fourths of the items were bought, so it was a lot easier. I went to go find Kai. He was surprisingly with Baekhyun. They waved at me and I walked over. Baekhyun was  still as handsome as ever and his smile was even more handsome. I was in awestruck but I had to compose myself.

 

“Baekhyun, this is my best friend Sehun.”

 

“Oh yea, we met inside that store.”

 

“Oh yea? That’s great.” He smiled and wrapped his arms around both of us. I was confused, why is so giddy? More than usual. Not to mention how boyishly cute his smile was.I looked away and gripped onto the bag.

 

“Sehun, this is my friend Baekhyun. He’s in my communications class.”

 

“You.. sure have a lot of friends..”

 

“I’m in a lot of classes,” He pet my head and looked over to Baekhyun. He kept grinning and Baekhyun kept smiling back. I felt out of the loop of some type of inside joke and stayed to myself. My insides screaming in agony to get me out of here so I can be with my mom and my brother again, sleeping.

 

“Sehun, thank you again for helping me with the glue!” He was really excited and held my hand for a split second before a beautiful girl voice came running down the mall.

 

“Baekhyunnie!” She tackled him into hug and took the bag. “Do you have the glue?”

 

“I got everything you needed me to-”

 

“That’s great. Okay got to run, see you later sweetie.” She ran off.

 

“Okay, bye babe!” He waved anticipatingly.

 

Both Kai and I watched as she jolted down the hallway and stared at Baekhyun. He was head over heels in love, starstrucked. But Kai and I both knew right away that something fishy was going on. Kai patted Baekhyun’s head and smiled. His constant flirting with others made me upset and I wanted to leave but I knew this one was for a good cost, not seeing a friend get hurt.

 

“Do you ever feel as though.. She’s using you?”

 

“Using me for what?”

 

“Nothing. Me and Sehun have to go. Text me later okay?”

 

“Mm.. okay.”

 

Kai then took my hand as we went down further into the mall to go look at the puppies. He liked puppies a lot. Every chance he can get me outside the house it was babo tea and puppy playing. I personally liked this as well. It was calming and it was soothing and it was a friend thing that we did together and truth be told, I think I needed a friend more than ever.

 

We sat down and played with the puppies. They were more attracted to Kai than they were at me which was good because I really just wanted to finish this coffee. Kai looked like he was in heaven playing around and cuddling with them.

 

“Sehun~ they are so cute. You look like this one!” He held one up. I can only laugh at him and call him dumb but, I didn’t really know how to feel about this. I’m constantly overthinking things and even though there was nothing going on now. I couldn’t help but wonder about my mother. Is my brother doing okay? Should I pay my grandfather a visit? Should I skip classes today? My mind was literally all over the place and all Kai could do is play with the puppies. One moment I’m in my thoughts and the second minute, I’m being tackled by Kai who snuggled into my arms and held a small brown dog.

 

“Are you good?” I said softly to him, inching away from the taken man that I liked.

 

“I want to adopt this one so badly. He’s so cute and fluffy and this is as big as he can get.”

 

“Then why don’t you get him?”

 

“I can’t have dogs. My mom is allergic.”

 

“That’s inconvenient” My voice lowered, petting his head. Kai nuzzled my neck and relaxed in the puppy pen. He was so cute and peaceful and I didn’t know what to do. So I leaned over and went to kiss his neck. Just a friendly peck and then he moved. .

 

“KYUNGSOOOOOOOOO”

 

Right. His boyfriend. I sat up and immediately grabbed my things. Kai went over to kiss him. And suddenly, I wanted to go. So I got up and left.

 

There wasn’t any real use for me to go home, having 2 hours until class and all, so I went to my university which was conveniently 5 blocks nearby. I didn’t care if he wondered where I went and I didn’t care if he got mad that I did but I needed to be away from him. Away from my feelings. He’s my best friend but I’m getting sick and tired of him, constantly playing with my heart and the way I feel.

 

In retaliation of my anger, I knocked some student’s books out his hands. He looked at me weirdly and I turned to him to apologize. But he just shook his head and grabbed my arm and took me to the back of the library. I was fighting him for a while but after it, I kind of gave up. We went to the foreign language part of the library where he looked at me and stared. I looked at him again and before I could apologize he spoke up.

 

“You seem angry, are you okay?” His korean wasn’t that good, so I guess this was the place to be, he seemed to care but I’ve just met this person, he might’ve been curious as to why I did that. I didn’t know him at all, I just didn’t want to release all the anger I felt so I nodded and apologize.He accepted my apology but with that. He hugged me.

 

This is how I met Tao Hwang. International Student from China.