Eighteen

Push-ups
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Anonymous asked: Can you do another one with more grown-up 2min from the jongyu au? :D Maybe like a 2min version of the one you did with jongyu, about how they started dating :) Like Taemin realizing he has a crush on his childhood friend, maybe even talking to Jinki about it, which would explain why Jinki knew before Jjong ;) Of course, that is just a suggestion. I’m sure everything you come up with will be great! Love the drabble <3

 

The kids were almost in high school, but still such good friends, but there was obviously something different in the air around them. Jinki had always observed them enough to feel the change, despite how faint or different it had become every time. The way they spoke to each other or behaved with each other was sometimes…just off, and that made Jinki really curious. A little more careful observation and Jinki knew they both liked each other, in the romantic sense. Jinki had caught glimpses and moments that made it too obvious, and he regretted not having caught them before. He pointed those moments out at times to Jonghyun too. But Jonghyun refused to believe, like usual, not because he was against it, but because Taemin was still too little in his eyes to be having such feelings.

So Jinki enjoyed it by himself.

All those little golden moments of innocent love colorfully spreading on his precious son’s face.


Minho’s uncle’s wedding was scheduled in the summer before they started high school. It was pretty hectic at Minho’s residence, with so many relatives staying over. His uncle had a comfy house too, but no one was disturbing it and were trying to adjust at Minho’s instead to keep it clean and pretty for when his uncle started his married life. So that resulted in Minho giving up his room and he slept over at Taemin’s for a whole month, because he just didn’t want to squeeze in somewhere and he needed a break from that noise as well, to study.

Minho was making sure not to be a burden when he stayed and a few days when Jonghyun had to leave early in the evenings, he had dinner already prepared by the time Jinki got home. Taemin helped him cook (more like, showed him where everything was and stood near the stove, glancing at the boiling contents excitedly and just keeping him company; he later did the dishes though).

One day when Jinki got home, he stopped at the kitchen door quietly, taking a peek into the kitchen, finding Minho tasting the curry, his brows constricted as he determined what was missing (or wrong), and Taemin glancing from the basin, squeezing foam absentmindedly, his eyes focussed on Minho. And when Minho turned, Taemin flinched and turned away in guilt, his cheeks getting a little red. He grumbled a little at all the foamy mess in the sink before cleaning it up.

Jinki just chuckled and went on to freshen up.


A few days later, Jinki caught Taemin in a similar situation.

It was Friday night and the two were trying to finish up their project (something extracurricular they had signed up in) after dinner and Jinki had decided to make them coffee since they were planning to finish it one night because Minho had to return home the next morning for the wedding preparations and would be busy for the rest of the weekend (the wedding was on Sunday).

They were almost finishing it and they decided to take a break before they stuck pictures and wrote the conclusions and index and stuff by doing some math instead. Taemin clearly didn’t want to take a break from studying with more studying (Minho was a little stingy when it came to his studies, he had already started on the high school syllabus). After finishing a couple of problems, Taemin paused and pretended to struggle with the next problem before just sighing irritatedly and making Minho look to him, worried. Instead of succumbing to that and reverting to watching or playing something for a while, Minho glanced into Taemin’s notebook and dragged his chair a little closer, patiently starting to explain the problem to him, leaving Taemin with a pouty face.

But soon it vanished as Minho’s serious, engrossed profile struck him, and Taemin’s eyes settled better on Minho, a little smile on his face as he asked him to explain it again. Minho just raised his brows, “Again?” Before he smiled a little, getting closer as he constricted his brows, thinking of a different approach while Taemin relished it all, trying not to give away his little pretense.

Jinki smiled to himself, pouring the coffee into mugs and placing them on the table before them, clearing his throat and Taemin flinched, getting flustered because Jinki’s little noise had made Minho look up and catch him staring. He ran away saying he needed to pee and Jinki took his chair instead, glancing at the problem, “He really couldn’t get that?”

“He got it.” Minho chuckled, “He blurted out the answer of part b when I was explaining part a, which he wouldn’t have known if-” He paused, realizing Jinki’s expression, averting his gaze and lowering his head in embarrassment, his face turning pink quicker than Jinki had ever seen Taemin’s turn.

“You don’t necessarily have to go home early in the morning, right?” Jinki asked, getting up, trying to make things un-awkward for the poor boy.

“Ye-Yes.”

“Good. You guys can have fun after you wrap up everything, just keep the tv volume to yourselves, okay?”

Minho nodded and Jinki began to walk to his room. He saw Taemin leave the washroom on his way and when Taemin passed by him, he flicked his forehead, making Taemin stop, “Wha- Jinnie!”

“Stop pretending to be stupid.” Jinki whispered before entering his room, leaving Taemin all flushed again.


They had attended the wedding and Taemin was dressed up in Jonghyun’s choice of clothes (a soft blue shirt with an off-white formal waistcoat which had a pink flower brooch on the chest pocket, paired up with off-white pants). He was quiet throughout the ceremony and even throughout the reception, his gaze lingering on Minho and sometimes his cheeks getting a little rosy before he bit his lip and averted his gaze, a little disgruntled. Jinki caught that happen more than twice and understood that perhaps Taemin was getting a little lonely but knew he shouldn’t feel bitter about it seeing him so busy, also because Minho was easily the most handsomely dressed of the lot with his beige tuxedo, styled hair, a white flower peeking out of his suit pocket along with a cleverly folded handkerchief that looked like another layer of petals. Just looking at him might have been a treat.

This time, when Jinki pointed out Taemin’s obvious forlorn yet fond expressions, Jonghyun didn’t deny it (nor did he admit anything). Jinki was too tempted to take a picture but decided against it when Jonghyun squinted at him, a little angry. Instead, he settled for a picture of the two when Minho was finally excused from entertaining his guests and relatives and had rushed over to their table, determined to spend the rest of his time with Taemin. Taemin’s mood did an 180 the moment Minho had come sit beside him, telling him of all the funny events, accidents and fails that had happened behind-the-scenes.

After a while, a few more cousins from Minho’s side had escaped the fuss around the couple and had settled at their table. Jonghyun and Jinki excused themselves to have a little lone time; also to let the kids have their fun. There were a few older (and familiar) kids in the lot as well so they thought Taemin would be fine for a while without them.

But when they returned after a stroll and chat, they found both Taemin and Minho goofier than usual and there was a slur in Minho’s voice, while Taemin was a little pink in the face.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Lee!” One of the older kids exclaimed on seeing the horror upon their faces, “Taemin drank some wine from my glass by mistake and he was fretting so much Minho drank some too to make him feel better about it. I swear they both only had, like a sip-”

“Are they stupid or what?” Jonghyun sighed, waving his palm and making all but Taemin and Minho scurry away. He went over to Taemin’s spot and pulled him up, grumbling, “I didn’t expect to carry my drunk son home so early in life.”

“That was the lamest excuse I have heard.” Jinki chuckled, watching those kids scurry somewhere far, looking scared as . He turned back to look at Taemin, “Anyway, he’s almost fifteen and it was a sip-”

“Definitely not a sip.” Jonghyun sighed, gesturing to the empty glasses fallen before them.

Jinki shrugged, “There’s a first for everything. At least he didn’t drink secretly or something.”

Jonghyun’s face resolved, “Yeah…” He glanced to Taemin, “But how much could he have drunk-” Taemin almost lost his balance the moment those words were out of Jonghyun’s mouth but Jonghyun caught him and Taemin groaned before whining and dropping back into his chair, “Appa…I feel dizzy…Appa…”

Jinki gestured to Minho who was all out, snoring softly, head rested on the table, “At least he’s awake.”


It had taken a while to leave the venue because Minho’s mother was sick worried when finding her son drunk an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter