No. 1

Chained Down

A/N: So I just figured out that AFF filters out curse words for people reading while not signed in I believe?? This fic is gonna have it's fair share of cursing here and there so I just thought I'd make a note now that if it seems like words are missing in between sentences and you're not signed into your AFF account there's probably some curse words being filtered out. If you are signed in then it's just a typo lol  Idk if there's any way to adjust settings or whatever to make them show up, so if anyone knows anything please let me know! Thanks!

 

~~~~~~~

 

*6 Years Ago*

Gunshots rang around them and bodies fell to the ground.

A fifteen year old boy stood in a darkened corner in the lower floor. His hands shook violently under the unfamiliar weight of the gun he held in his hands and beads of sweat dripped down his forehead. He was terrified. He shut his eyes tightly and wished he would have been more like everybody else. His father had warned him after all that getting out of this life was impossible. He should have listened and at least learned how to shoot a damn gun properly.

The door was wrenched open and a gasp caught in Jongin's throat.

"Are you ing kidding me?" The seventeen year old boy cursed, "What the hell are you doing hiding here?" He hissed.

Jongin winced, "I... I... I don't know what to do" He blurted out.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes and reached over, gripping Jongin's arm tightly.

"You man up and shoot the ones that are trying to arrest us" He explained so calmly that Jongin almost believed it could be that easy.

He glanced down and caught the stains of blood splattered on Myungsoo's shirt. It was no wonder that his father liked Myungsoo the best. Aside from the innate pain of being subtly hated by his father, if he wanted to leave Myungsoo in charge of his precious "business" it was fine with Jongin. He didn't want any part of it.

"Come on" Myungsoo snapped as he pulled Jongin out and dragged him down a darkened hallway. The guns kept firing above them and Jongin wondered if his father was dead.

The door to the staircase up was kicked open and they both paused for a brief second before breaking into a run for the other door at the end. They reached the door and Myungsoo pulled it open and shoved Jongin out.

"There are people waiting, you know where to go right?" He said quickly.

"What about you?" Jongin asked nervously looking behind him, the footsteps were getting closer.

Myungsoo smirked, "I'm not a fan of running away" He said and slammed the door shut.

His smirk disappeared the second he let the door shut on him and freedom. He was old enough to be tried as an adult too so he supposed this was it for him as he turned to face whoever was coming down the hall. He raised the gun, keeping it steady. At least he would get off a few good rounds he decided.

"Where's my son?!" Jongin's father, their leader, asked.

Myungsoo stiffened, unable to understand how he could care about that sniveling piece of crap right now.

"He's safe, I got him out like you wanted me to" Myungsoo said, what he should have also done was asked why he hadn't let him escape too. After all he had done for him wasn't his life worth at least as much as Jongin's?

"Good. Now come. We're going to get out of here" He said and Myungsoo followed obediently.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Commissioner General Park!" An officer called as he raced over to the man taking cover from fire.

"What's wrong?" The older man asked calmly despite the high stress of the situation.

"We've got eyes on Kim Jaehyun near the back of the building. It looks like he has a hostage with him!" The officer explain quickly and he nodded.

They took off running toward the back and came to a halt when they spotted him. Kim Jaehyun stood boldly, his back to the wall of the building as he held a teenage boy with a gun to his head.

"We don't want any more casualties right Commissioner Park?!" The man sneered, "I'll shoot the boy if you don't let me go this ing minute!"

"That's not going to happen Jaehyun. Just give up, half of your men are dead and the other are god knows where" Park Taehwan yelled approaching him slowly, carefully eyeing the boy in his grip.

He looked young, probably around the age of his own daughter and that probably played a role into why he was so hesitant on calling his bluff. The last thing he wanted was an innocent boy's blood on his hands again.

Jaehyun laughed cruelly, "I'll kill him. I'm not bluffing"

Myungsoo believed him and though he understood this was the way their life worked, it didn't stop him from resenting the man. If he wanted to play hostage he should have grabbed his own damn son. Instead he tried to assess the situation carefully. There had to be some way to break free and make a run for it. Jaehyun would probably hunt him down and kill him for running off, but that was only if he could find him. His fingers twitched with anxiety.

Not yet, don't make a move yet. Wait.

"Commissioner Park, we've got the shot" A voice spoke into the earpiece Park Taehwan had embedded in his ear.

He sighed quietly, he hated having to take lives, but in this case it was impossible. He nodded as the sniper positioned himself and fired off the shot. The boy's eyes widened when he heard the shot as he instantly tried to pull away and two things happened at the same time. Kim Jaehyun's gun fired straight into the boy's arm and not a second later a round passed cleanly between his eyes.

Myungsoo started with wide eyes as Jaehyun fell into a pool of blood. His eyes were frozen wide as if the last thought to cross his mind was disbelief. Myungsoo supposed that very well could have been his final thought.  His mind spun before a body crashed into him and sent him down into the pool of blood besides the man he had considered the closest thing to a father figure for the past 5 years. He screamed, an instinct more than anything, before he felt the weight be pulled off of him quickly and he was pulled out.

Commissioner Park was a tall man so to the teenager, he seemed to tower over him as he pulled him up to his feet. The kind eyes he had did nothing to ease the fear of the consequences to come that ran rampant in Myungsoo's mind.

He barked orders over his head, keeping a firm hold of Myungsoo's shoulders. Everything moved too quickly. His mind was blank. He should have been looking for a moment to escape, but he just stood there with his gaze glued to the man lying dead on the ground.

It wasn't until Myungsoo sat in the interrogation room that he allowed his shoulders to hunch over and contemplated his future. He would kill himself rather than go to prison he decided firmly.

"What's your name?" The man asked him, staring at Myungsoo's bandaged arm.

Myungsoo stayed silent.

"My name is Park Taehwan and I can either be a very good ally or a very scary enemy" He said, hoping intimidation would get the truth out, in reality Park Taehwan hated this. The kid had been through god knows what and he hated knowing he might be making it worse, "If you tell me why you were there you don't have to be locked up with the rest of them" He offered and Myungsoo looked up slowly.

"... My name is Myungsoo" He said quietly.

"Got any parents Myungsoo?" Commissioner Park asked.

Myungsoo shook his head.

"Do you work for Kim Jaehyun?" He asked and Myungsoo shook his head fiercely.

"He found me a few months ago" Myungsoo lied, hoping that they didn't have any information of him with them from years ago. For the most part, he had been kept out of the really big operations and to his knowledge the few people he had killed had never been found.

"Why would he keep you around if you weren't useful?" The man asked.

Myungsoo shrugged, "I was beaten and told to run menial errands on a regular basis. I had nowhere else to go" He said, shutting his eyes tightly hoping he looked believable.

Despite all the of things he had done, Myungsoo found himself faced with a visceral fear that gripped his insides tightly. He didn't want to go to jail.

"Two officers are going to come in and finish interrogating you" The man said, "If your story checks out you'll be free to go" He said before standing up and leaving him alone in that room.

Park Taehwan sat in his office contemplating the situation. Myungsoo reminded him too much of the kid in his first case of his career. The kid that had died at his hands all because he was too eager to catch a damn criminal. The case had been a career maker, but the casualties haunted him to the day. Maybe this was his chance to atone.

"Sir?" The man at the door asked.

"What is it?"

"We've finished interrogating the kid"

"Any drugs in his system?" He asked first and the two officers shook their head, "Anything strange come up? Any hits on his fingerprints?"

"Nothing sir, it looks like the kid was telling the truth" They said and he nodded in relief.

"We're typing up the report for the case to submit. We'll have it ready in a few days"

"No problem. But the kid, where's he going after being released?" He asked.

One shrugged, "Probably back to the streets"

Commissioner Park sighed and ran a hand through his graying hair, "I'll take custody of him for now, and he’s what? Sixteen?"

"Seventeen" The other man said, "But are you sure? He could be dangerous"

"He doesn't seem like it. Consider it my good task of the year" He said with a small smile as he walked them out and walked down to the holding cells.

He stopped at his cell as Myungsoo looked up from the cot that he sat on, legs drawn up to his chest.

"You're free to go" He said, unlocking the cell and pulling it open.

Myungsoo stood up quickly, almost tripping over his own legs as he scrambled up.

"Just one more question. Have you been going to school lately? Do you have plans about where to go?" He asked and Myungsoo shook his head slowly.

The man didn't say anything else and Myungsoo hesitated before beginning to walk past him. His escape was so near he thought gladly. All he had to do was walk out and find Jongin. Jongin wasn't up to run any of the business on his own. It would take nothing to convince him to hand power over to him and if he for some reason didn't want to, he was asking for his own death then. Myungsoo hadn't busted his working this long for his father to be left with nothing in the end.

"Let me help you Myungsoo. I... would like to give you a place to stay and offer you the chance to go to school I would like to give you the chance to get out of this life" He offered and Myungsoo stood still as he stared up at the older man incredulously.

What on earth would possess the man to offer him such a thing? Was he some sort of ert?

He probably saw the hesitation on his face before he added, "Try it for a couple of weeks at least. If you hate it then you're free to leave" He offered.

Myungsoo was about to decline when Jongin's voice popped into his mind. His stupid stories about how much he liked going to school because of course he had been given the chance. The one doing the dirty work had been Myungsoo. He glanced down, ashamed of himself for discovering the ounce of jealousy that he had hidden all along from himself. He hesitated another moment, trying to think, if anything he could use this opportunity to clear himself of any suspicion and gain information on what they truly knew about the inner workings of their organization he decided. That small excuse was the only thing that allowed him to accept.

It was going to be temporary anyways.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

Hyemi stood in complete silence, her arms crossed in front of her chest, as she listened to her father introduce that mess he had brought home. The boy in front of her stood too quiet, too still. His head was bent low and Hyemi couldn't help, but think about the feeling she got that his act wasn't right. Something about him just gave her a bad feeling. She had a knack for knowing when people were hiding things.

"So what? You're like adopting him?" She asked snidely.

"Hyemi" Her father warned and she straightened her back.

"I'm just asking" She said, feigning innocence lazily. Her father saw right through her.

"He's also going to be starting school in your grade so I want you to help get him used to things. He hasn't been to school in a while so he's going to need help" He said calmly.

"He's older than me... so he's an uneducated orphan on top of everything?" She asked and her father's scolding went ignored as she focused on the way Myungsoo's jaw clenched with anger and his entire body tightened with what she imagined was rage.

He wasn't fooling her and she was going to make sure he didn't make a fool of her father either.

"Hyemi go to my office. We'll talk in there" He said firmly.

"Whatever" She said angrily, going straight for his office and slamming the door shut. She was right about that guy, he wasn't normal and she didn't want him in her house.

"I'm sorry about her behavior. She's a little out of control at times, but once she gets used to you, you won't find anyone better to have on your side" Taehwan explained and Myungsoo looked up only once he was sure that his anger was locked away.

God, that girl was going to be a pain in the .

"Go take a look at the room upstairs at the end of the hall. It's a guest bedroom for now, but we can start decorating it to your tastes, if you decide to stay. I'll get you some food too" Taehwan offered and Myungsoo nodded as he climbed up the stairs slowly.

It really baffled him why he was nervous of all things. Was if because the only true home he had ever been in was barely the size of their living room? He stopped in front of the guest room and wondered if he shouldn't just hop out of the window and take off. He might make the jump. He opened the door quietly and flipped on the lights. The room illuminated in a second and Myungsoo cleared his throat as he looked around. His eyes landed on the window. He went over and peered out. He could definitely make the fall.

The smell of food stopped his thoughts cold. God, he was starving he realized as he stepped away from the window and watched as Taehwan came in with a plate of hot food.

"Hyemi usually cooks since I get home late, she'll probably throw a fit because honestly she likes to be stubborn, but you just enjoy it" He said with a smile and Myungsoo nodded blankly. He watched as Taehwan's eyes slid to the window and back at him with an understanding smile, "Remember, you're not here against your will, but I would eat before making any decisions" He said before stepping out and closing the door behind him quietly.

Myungsoo stood in the room alone and felt a whole lot of emotions that he didn't quite comprehend come over him. He pressed his toes into the warm carpet and liked that despite the freezing cold outside it was warm in here. He sat at the desk to the side of the room and smelled the food. It smelled better than anything he had eaten in years and it tasted as good as it promised too. He ate the entire plate up in a matter of minutes and sighed in content. He tipped back slightly in his chair and stared up at the ceiling.

He thought about everything that had happened in the past 16 hours and touched the wound on his arm gently. He was 100% sure that tonight he would have died had the police not shot Jongin's father before he could aim properly. What the hell was he doing here though? Pretending to be someone that he hadn't been since he was 12? If what he had done ever came out, this man would have never opened up his home to him. He didn't belong in a place like this he decided. This place was for normal people and he was anything, but. He was a criminal. This is the type of place that would suit someone like Jongin he thought and at the thought a bile of hatred and jealousy came back up.

He opened the window angrily and stuck his upper body out. The cold air bit into his skin painfully and he grit his teeth. Good little Jongin, the one constantly looking to get as far away from their lives and yet earning the pride of his father even as he refused to help out with the business. He didn't even have to live with the rest of them, no, his father had kept him separate from them in a nice little apartment.

He rolled his eyes and bit his tongue to keep himself from screaming. He pulled himself back in and slammed the window shut. One night. He would stay just one night only to see what Jongin had been living like. To see what on earth made the idiot so desperate to run away.

The bed he slept in that night was the most comfortable place he had ever sunk his body into.