What Does Family Mean

Answer

  Month passed quickly, nothing changed at all. But Myungsoo should visit doctors this week, so everyone was anxious and worried, but no one was showing it. Another school day started. Nothing different from the other days. On the break boys were sitting in the park. They had 15 minutes, before bell would rang.

“What are we planning today?” Dongwoo asked and lied on the ground. Boys were eating snacks and looked at each other and shrugged shoulders.

“Today I have dance class, so hang out without me. “ Hoya said and put last piece of cake in his mouth and stood up from the ground.

“By the way Myung, when are you going to check doctors?” Woohyun asked and glanced at Myungsoo, who frozen when he asked him.

“This week…” He said and softly bit the sandwich. Everyone became quiet. Sunggyu looked at everyone and uncomfortably laughed.

“What’s wrong guys? He will do few analyzes, no need for worries.” He said and everyone, except Myungsoo forced smile on their faces. Myungsoo sighed jump from the ground.

“I have to reread history…” He said and walked away, boys for a long time stared at his back, before he disappeared in the crowd. Sunggyu breathed out.

“Guys stop making Myungsoo more nervous.” Everyone was worried, they didn’t know what kind of results will come. Maybe disease became worse? Maybe he will return into the hospital again, will struggle from all of this surgeries? They didn’t know and of course they were scared and waiting for the worst. After a while they returned into the building and spotted Myungsoo in the hallway.

“Myung-“But then they heard a loud shout, what made Myungsoo turn around.

“FIRE!!” Someone screamed and the bunch of the running students showed up.

“Yah Myungsoo!!” Sunggyu called him, but before Myungsoo could ran away, room crowded with thousands of students, they were pushing everyone from the back, without worrying that many of them fell on the floor. Boys couldn’t see Myungsoo anymore, they also were pushed and surrounded by other students.

“Please everyone be careful and stop bumping each other!” They heard teachers shouting it. Boys lost each other. But somehow they managed to leave building without any serious injuries. In the outside everyone was group by their classes. Few students were lost and left in the building. Boys walked away from this chaos.

“Wait a minute where is Myungsoo?” Sunggyu asked, there were only 6 of them. Boys went to his classmates and they said that Myungsoo didn’t show up yet.

“I saw how he was running to our class...” One of them said.

“What? Why?” Sunggyu asked, but way too loud.

“He said that he left something in the class… I don’t remember what concretely he said…” And then all of them understood what Myungsoo was searching for.

“M-maybe he said a necklace?...” Now Sunggyu’s voice faded away, as he was ready to faint.

“Yeah you’re right! He said that he’s going to take his necklace.” Sunggyu breathed out shaky and nodded.

“Thanks… Don’t tell anything to teachers, okay?” She nodded and went to her friends. Sunggyu groaned from the anger.

“This kid doesn’t have gram of brain!!!” He shouted and smashed everything he could see, but Woohyun crossed his arms. “Hyung calm down… We will find him…” Even though he wasn’t confident in his words.

“I will go search him, you stay here and control the teachers okay?” Sungyeol said and was ready to run away, but then Sunggyu caught him by his arm.

“I’m going with you-“But Sungyeol immediately cut him.

“It will be a burden if so many of us will go inside…” Sungyeol said and pushed Sunggyu’s hand away. And quickly ran away from his friends. Quietly he sneaked inside the school and was terrified what he saw. Everything was in flame, walls burn up. He didn’t have many time, he should find Myungsoo before firemen came. Myungsoo’s class was on the second floor, so he ran to there. Avoiding those huge lines of the fire flames.

“MYUNGSOO!!” He shouted as he entered second floor. And then he saw him, but huge flame was covering his way to run away.

“Sungyeol I’m trapped here!!” He shouted from the other side. He tried to look calm, but he was scared as hell. Flame was getting bigger and bigger, there was no time left anymore. Sungyeol should think quickly and then idea hit him. He looked at the window and broke it with his hand. There was second one to Myungsoo’s side. Distance from this two window wasn’t very big.

“Myungsoo broke your window too! And crawl to my side from the outside of the building!” Myungsoo looked at him cowardly, he was scared to do this, but more than it he was scared of this flames around him, which were getting bigger and bigger. He saw chair next to him so he took it and broke the window. But before putting his leg out from the window he looked at Sungyeol again. Yes, it was second floor, but building was very high, so if it was very dangerous.

“No need for worries, you should take one or two steps, if something will happen I will catch you, so don’t worry.” Myungsoo nodded and put his leg on the wall. He clenched to death on the window sill with his one hand and stretched other one to Sungyeol. Sungyeol’s half body was hanging out from the window, but hopefully he caught Myungsoo’s hand. Bunch of people crowded and they were staring at them from the down. Boys were hoping that clumsy Myungsoo won’t slip his feet. Teachers were shouting at them, saying to return inside and wait before firemen will appear. But there wasn’t any time, place where Myungsoo was standing already was in fire, so there was no way out. And happened what everyone was aware of Myungsoo’s feet slipped. Everyone gasped for a second, because he almost fell down, but Sungyeol was still holding him. Now Myungsoo was hanging in the air.

“!! Give me your second hand!” Sungyeol shouted, but Myungsoo wasn’t hearing him anymore, he was too scared. “Crap!!” Sungyeol shouted and leaned even down, causing Myungsoo to scream, as he thought that he was falling down, but Sungyeol caught his second arm and with all of his power pull him up. Myungsoo bumped on Sungyeol and both of them fell on the floor with a loud thud. But they should hurry up, Sungyeol made Myungsoo stand up and they covered their nose with their arms and ran away. Ceiling was ruining down and it almost hit them twice.  But they still managed to get out from this hell. When they were out Sungyeol fell on his knees. Coughing from all of this smoke he inhaled, tears were rolling down from his eyes, because they were burning up. But Myungsoo wasn’t in better condition, he also fell on the ground and coughing as he was ready to threw up. Everyone rushed to them, giving them water to calm down a bit. Teachers started to scold Sungyeol for going inside the school in such a critical moment. But in the end Myungsoo and Sungyeol were sitting on the ground wrapped into the blankets which doctors gave them, when they appeared. They helped Sungyeol with his hand, because when he broke the window, pieces of glass went inside the skin and his arm was all in blood. Now it was in white bandage and wasn’t hurt anymore. They were waiting to other guys, who promised that they will bring some food for them. It was uncomfortable aura around them. Myungsoo looked at Sungyeol’s arm and felt guilty.

“Sorry…” He murmured and Sungyeol looked at him angrily. “Sorry?! You think it will change something?! How could you be so stupid to go on risk like this because of stupid necklace!” Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows.

“It’s very important for me! My father gave it to me! But it doesn’t matter anymore, I couldn’t find it and it burnt with everything else in this school…” He said and dropped his head down. But Sungyeol wasn’t going easy on him.

“Do you think your father would happy if you almost died because of his present? Are you desire to go back to hospital, which you finally left? Okay you don’t think about yourself, but think about us. Don’t put us in problems anymore, we were so worried about you! ” He said harshly and looked in the different direction. Myungsoo was feeling so guilty towards them. Sungyeol wasn’t talking to Myungsoo, he was still angry at him. So Myungsoo tired few times to fix everything, but then gave up.

Everyone already went to their houses. It wasn’t too late, but everyone was tired after what happened, so they didn’t plan anything. Sungyeol went on the balcony to smoke, soon Sunggyu arrived too.

“Hey” He said and Sungyeol looked at him.

“Yo.” He said and put cigarette into his mouth again. Sunggyu gave him a bitter look and stand beside him and pressed his back on the wall.

“You really should stop smoking, it’s bad for your health…” Sungyeol snorted at it and looked at Sunggyu.

“Are you my babysitter or what?” Sunggyu was quiet few long second, but then spoke again.

“Thanks for today.” Sungyeol silenced. “Really thanks… Even though I envy you.” Sungyeol gave him weird look. “You’re the one who always saves Myungsoo. I’m such a bad big brother… I can’t take a normal care of my little brother. He always loved you more than me. That’s why I’m jealous. I want to be hero for him, like other younger brother see their hyungs. I want him to look at me the way he looks at you. That’s why…” Sunggyu looked at Sungyeol, so Sungyeol did same, they looked though their eyes. Wind blow their messy hair, they were only in thin shirts and freezing, but atmosphere around them become warm and comfortable, that’s why they didn’t care at all. “That’s why don’t hurt him and protect him, because I can’t. Today was example that I can’t protect my brother and you doing my job better. I really wanted to be on your place…” Sunggyu leaned his head back and slid down and huffed. “My poor young brother.” He cried out. “He didn’t get a chance to spent more time with our parents, I was so jealous when they were treating him better than me, but in the end I’m the one who got a chance to be with our parents and make more good memories than him, I feel like I took everything from him. He lost his parents and then this disease showed up, he spent half of his life in the hospitals, surrounded by doctors. Why? He didn’t derisive it. I want to switch places with him, so he won’t be forced to do all of this surgeries. I feel so bad for him. He’s so young, but already struggled so many difficulties. My poor little brother…” He closed his eyes and let them tear up. “We are thankful to your family, if not you, we would be on the streets right now.” Sungyeol chuckled at it.

“What are you saying? Others boys would do the same.” Sunggyu breathed out and looked at him.

“You know how to ruin the moment, don’t you?” But then looked away again and stared at the dark blue sky. “But…” He stopped, as it was hard to find right words. “I hate when Myungsoo calls your mom his mom. Because he’s not her son. But it’s not his fault, he doesn’t even remember his real mom. But I don’t want to, no matter how thankful I am, I don’t want Myungsoo to think, that your parents, are his parents. He had. He had a real family, but… If we didn’t go too far, if we didn’t play with the fire, this wouldn’t happen. If I didn’t run away and helped Myungsoo to come out, parents wouldn’t go inside the house. I regret so many things, sometimes I think why Myungsoo doesn’t hate me…” He put his face into his knees and sighed. Sungyeol couldn’t say anything, they never had talks like this. He just patted his shoulder.

“Don’t think this way, Myungsoo adores you. He’s Myungsoo after all, he doesn’t know what ‘hate’ means” He smiled and walked inside. Sunggyu stayed like this for a while, he felt a bit better after saying everything he held inside so many years. He walked inside the house and saw Sungyeol putting jacket on and heading to the door.

“Where are you going at this time?” Sunggyu asked sleepy, he tired after day like this.

“Somewhere~” Sungyeol smiled innocently and walked out. Sunggyu shrugged his shoulders and went into his room.

Sungyeol walked to their school, it was partly burned. He looked around, to his surprise policemen weren’t standing outside the building. So Sungyeol went inside. What he was doing here? He took his flash and gently walked upstairs. He was afraid that it would ruin down, so he was very relieved when he already was on second floor. Somehow he found Myungsoo’s classroom and went to his locker. “He always leaves the necklace here…” Myungsoo always put his necklace into a small metal box, so Sungyeol was hoping it didn’t burn. It wasn’t in the locker and he couldn’t see anything, he tried his best, to find this thin necklace only with flash in his hand. He saw something sparkling on the desk, he went to it and was happy, that finally he found it. He took it from this box and hanged it on his hand and smiled. Quickly he returned to home, because it felt like in horror movie there, dark, no one around, it really creeped him out there.

He walked inside the room and Myungsoo was still up, he was looking out from the window. When Sungyeol closed the door, he turned around.

“Where you was?” He asked and walked towards him.

“Can’t sleep because of nightmares?” Sungyeol asked and lied down on his bed. Myungsoo nodded and lied too. “Myungsoo about necklace-“But Myungsoo didn’t let him to end what he was going to say.

“You was right, it’s just a necklace. It doesn’t mean anything for me.”

“Don’t lie to yourself Myung.” Sungyeol said and stared at his face, they were lying face to face.

“I’m not lying. I don’t need it anymore!” He said and covered himself with a blanket.

‘If you say so…” Sungyeol said and put his hand in the pocket, where he put the necklace. He closed his eyes and Myungsoo did same. Myungsoo fall asleep quickly, but Sungyeol was light sleeper so he woke up as soon as Myungsoo hit his tummy with his leg. Sungyeol opened his eyes and stared at Myungsoo, then he took the necklace from the pocket and wrap it around Myungsoo’s neck and locked it. He smiled and stood up from the bed. He walked inside the kitchen to drink water. When he returned into the room, Myungsoo was jerking and trembling. He was calling his parents in his sleep, Sungyeol sighed and went to him.

“Again nightmares about that day?” He asked softly, he knew that he will never get answer from Myungsoo, because it was impossible to wake him up. He took Myungsoo’s hand and massaged with his thumb, Myungsoo tightened his grip, almost painfully. Sungyeol quickly fell asleep, without letting Myungsoo’s hand. In the morning when he woke up, Myungsoo was clung to him as a little baby, Sungyeol tried to push him away, but he was stick to him. He poked his cheeks.

“Hey Myungsoo wake up!” But Myungsoo still was still sleeping, breathing in and out softly. “Myungsoo wake up!” And kick him with his leg, so Myungsoo reacted on it.

“Already morning?” Sungyeol nodded and stood up from the floor.

“Did you slept well?” He asked and took off his shirt.

“I had nightmares again…” Myungsoo murmured softly, he wasn’t woke up fully yet. Sungyeol made ‘o’ face, like he didn’t know. Sungyeol left the room first. Myungsoo felt something on his neck, so he touched it and saw his necklace. He looked at the door and smiled.

 When they were eating, Myungsoo put chopsticks on the table, he looked nervous, so Sungyeol’s mom looked at him.

“Something wrong Myungsoo?”

“Today I will go to hospital, I want to do this, before we will go in new school.” Myungsoo said and looked at Sunggyu. “You will go with me right?” Sunggyu nodded. They quickly dressed up normally and went to hospital. For a long time they were sitting in the waiting room, time felt eternity, like there was no end of it. Myungsoo couldn’t help himself from shacking his legs, so Sunggyu put his hand on his thigh.

“No need to be so nervous. I’m not worried at all, see?” And forced a smile. Myungsoo looked at him with scared expression.

“I’m scared…” For the first time Myungsoo said it, for this 16 years he never ever said that he was scared. So Sunggyu couldn’t act like he doesn’t care anymore.

“What are you saying?” He chuckled, but it wasn’t from happiness. “Don’t make hyung worry too.” He weakly smiled at him. “Everything will be alright, oh? Even though I can’t take proper care about you…” He said and looked down, Myungsoo quickly glanced at him, with blank expression on his face.

“What?! You don’t take a good care about me? Who does if not you? Because of me you grow up so quickly, because you always had to act like my old brother and plus my father… Don’t say such a thing anymore.” Sunggyu looked up at him. So this is how Myungsoo felt?

“Really? You don’t hate me?” Myungsoo furrowed his eyebrows.

“Why would I? Aish hyung!” He shouted and hugged him. “You’re my brother, how can I hate you? Don’t say such a meaningless things, I-“But he was cut by a doctor.

“Myungsoo you can come with us.” He smiled at him and Myungsoo pulled himself from Sunggyu and nodded. Myungsoo walked to the door, but before leaving Sunggyu there, he turned his head and weakly smiled.

“Hyung I love you.” Sunggyu’s eyes widen up, they never acted so lovely to each other. He nodded and barely murmured.

“Y-yeah me too…” Myungsoo smiled and walked away. When he finally left, Sunggyu’s eyes started tearing up, he hold his emotions for a long time. He was nervous, of course he was, but if he showed it, Myungsoo would freak out, so he stayed still. He chuckled at himself and let tears roll on his cheeks. They struggled from many difficulties, but they always were together, nothing can apart them. No one was in the waiting room, so Sunggyu let all of this emotions splash out. He never cried, he didn’t cried when parents died, he didn’t cried when Myungsoo was diagnosed with this illness. He didn’t cried when they took Myungsoo for surgeries. He didn’t cried… Around people. He always cried like this, alone, so no one could feel sorry for him, so Myungsoo won’t think that he’s weak, every brother is trying to  impress their younger siblings.

  After an hour they already were at home, when the door opened, everyone ran to them.

“So what did they say?” Sungyeol’s father shouted.

“They will give results tomorrow…” Sunggyu quietly said and Sungyeol couldn’t help and groan.

“Why so long? Gosh.” He said and angrily walked inside the room.

Whole day everyone was on nerves, they couldn’t wait when sun will rise and they will get the results.

  Next morning, Myungsoo checked his email and results were already there. He jumped from the chair and covered his mouth with his hand. At this time Sungyeol walked inside the room and when saw Myungsoo like this fear filled him up.

“What are the results saying?!!!” He rushed to him, he didn’t even care that he was only in boxers.

“I says that…” Myungsoo couldn’t speak normally so Sungyeol glanced at the screen and read it by himself.

“IT BECAME A BIT BETTER?!!!!!!!!” He shouted so loud that everyone smashed into the room.

“What we have results? What it says?” Sunggyu shouted.

“It’s not dangerous for life anymore!!!” Sungyeol shouted and everyone’s eyes widen up. In the end everyone was hugging Myungsoo. But then mobile ranged. It was Woohyun.

“SO WHAT DID THEY SAY??”

“It’s not dangerous anymore!” Myungsoo shouted. One by one everyone called him. After blink of an eye, everyone was in Myungsoo’s room.

“REALLY?! You aren’t joking right?!!”

Dongwoo asked who was still in his pajamas. And Myungsoo happily nodded. Room filled with whistles and shouts.

“We need to celebrate this!!” Sungjong said and everyone agreed. Quickly everyone left the room to dress up, because everyone rushed out from their houses.

They decided to go to karaoke bar. Myungsoo was walking behind everyone and staring at them from the back. Everyone was happy and energetic as usual. Now they were less worried. Myungsoo couldn’t help and was smiling creepily, his cheeks already hurt from it.

 They always stayed by my side. Everyone takes a care about me in different ways. Sunggyu with his nags, Dongwoo with his happy smiles, Woohyun with his greasiness, Hoya with his lame jokes, Sungyeol with his sincere and Sungjong with his ability to listen to me and give good advices. When my parents passed away, I thought everything end up there. I locked myself into my imagined world. But they dragged me out of there to reality, they made me see that I could get over it. I could start everything from the new chapter. We aren’t real brothers, but I’ve never took them just as friends. I have 6 brothers, who I love the most.


So here's new chapter ^^