Blue Skies

▁▁▏Edge of the World
BLUE SKIES

“What is Earth like?” The woman asks her two companions while their Nebula vessel draws closer to the planet in question. She peers out through the transparent membrane of the Nebula as the others process her question and search their internal database for the most suitable reply.

“Earth is similar to any other habitable planets equivalent in dimension. There is life, there is civilization, there is technology.” They both answer harmoniously.

The woman slides her long, delicate nail across the synthetic material and her thoughts, like a catalog scanner, stops at its creator, the man she is to seek out on Earth. “How technologically advanced are these humans?”

“If Earth’s civilization was to be ranked, their technology would lie on the ten percent mark.”

“That low? But Mr. Apocalypse is from Earth, is he not? He created this vessel. He created you. How can it be that their rank so poorly?”

“Though Apocalypse resides on Earth, he is not part of Earth’s lineage, and therefore, the technology at his disposal is alien.”

Their answer makes the woman doubt her own lineage. “Is mother and father also... can you tell me about them? Why did they send me out here alone? Where are they now? What are they like? Are they like the mothers and fathers in the TV dramas I watch? I mean, what are they like in the past...”

Her two companions look at each other. Their expressions remain blank.

“It would be beneficial for everyone.” The woman continues. She holds her breath, praying that they do not question the benefits... for there is undoubtedly very little if any. “Come, Tesa... Yui... make it like a story... to pass the time until we enter Earth’s outer atmosphere...”

Tesa and Yui detect no immediate danger, but they have not received the proper permission to divulge any information concerning Wang Hunjun and his wife.

“Miss Cyndi, I am afraid we cannot indulge you.” They have refused to share her parent's story countless times. Yet, she continues to ask without end. Is this what humans call... stubbornly persistent?

In a moment, Tesa grabs the woman sharply while Yui unlocks a small compartment in the floor.

“We had not predicted the new flux while entering Earth’s thermosphere. The artificial ozone layer must have tampered with the levels of—” The Nebula lurks forward, knocking all three of them again the walls. Yui assists Tesa in carrying their princess to the hidden compartment.

“It is safer for you here. Please refrain from excessive movements.”

“What about you two?”

“Do not worry for us. We will be here once the Nebula lands.”

"Miss Cyndi's stress level is rising."

"You must not give worry. We cannot be harmed. We will be here for you once the Nebula lands."

"Promise?" She utters the word like in the movies. The ones that make her eyes water.

They close the compartment door. And soon... she is left in complete darkness.