Iron Smoke Sin

▁▁▏Edge of the World
Iron I
heist
from noisestorm

"I don't like that suspicious old man, sis."

With the door now closed, the little woman called 'Miss Xinling,' flings her long blade onto the bed and begins to undress. "What? And you think I do? I don't like him either."

"Then why do we have to stay here?"

"Because this place has a bath and hot water. I need to wash my hair. It feels so disgusting."

"It wouldn't be such a problem if you cut it off. Want me to cut it off? I will cut it off and then we can sell it."

"You dare?" She stares at him with eyes that can pierce through tomorrow, challenging him to give it a try. "I will cut you down first, little brother... and watch you bleed to death." No joke. She is capable of that. He does not doubt it. "What are you still standing there for? Come over here and help me with my bath. I want all of this grime out of my hair. I want it out now."

Little brother, Jaejoong, though nothing about him is little, unhooks his huge- gun and proceeds in helping his sister undress. After dropping her body into the tub, he moves to open the copper valves connecting to pipes running along the crease where floor and wall meet.

"Why are you so slow? Do you not wish to wash my hair? Because, really... no one asked you to come along and serve me, you know..."

"That may be true... but... you're carrying my goddamn eye, woman!!" So there is such a thing as anger inside. "You think I'm just going to let you waltz down dangerous alleys with my eye?!"

"Hu-huu..." She covers with the back of a bare hand like a dainty, little lady that she is supposed to resemble. "That is completely your fault. No one asked you to bet your left eye and lose."

"I didn't think you would actually scoop out my eye..." What kind of sister would steal her younger brother's eye? Even if he did bet and lose.

"Well, that's because you're stupid."

Hot water flows through the pipes, bringing along a distinct, rustic smell. Xinling does not seem to mind the smell. Not at all. So long as she gets her wash.

"Oooo, fresh lemon soap. I like the smell of lemons." She chucks the bar of soap at Jaejoong and motions for him to scrub her thick, black hair with it. Such a state of tangle it has been these pass few days. "But, really, little brother... I don't see why you're so unhappy about the new arrangement. I think you're better off with just one eye. Really, I do."

"Are you serious?" He smacks her head with the bar of soap.

"Ow! Are you picking a fight with me?! That's it... that's it! I'm not going to help you wash your hair next. I won't!"

"I don't need your help. I don't want it!"

• • • • • •

Despite his grand declaration, Jaejoong subjects to his big sister's rule... because she is overpowered like that. He is sitting in the wooden tub now with flesh bare, half submerged under steamy water. Another bucket of water is unloaded directly above his head, plastering his raven hair to his perfectly shaped skull. Unruliness so easily tamed. She seems to be in a much better mood now... now that she is fresh and clean with hints of lemon fragrance still clinging to her loose, flowy hair.

Damn. Her good mood is a serious nuisance. He better do something to stamp it out.

"So, you think someone in this establishment has one of our family heirloom?"

Xinling smacks him unexpectedly over the head with the bar of lemon soap. Revenge for earlier? "I don't think it, little brother. I know it. These greedy bastards. They will probably sneak an attack on us in the middle of the night. I am counting on that old man to relay the news... the fact that I am in possession of precious metal."

"Oh... so that's why you paid for our room with it. I thought it was a bit out of character for you to be handing it over so easily. Why are you taking this task so seriously anyway? It's not like father is lacking in work dogs... to fetch back the stolen goods. Isn't this just an excuse to avoid the marriage? You're running away like a sissy, sis."

Xinling knocks his head again with the soap bar.

"Ow... what the hell? You already got your revenge earlier!"

"Oh, there was a little, white maggot in your hair." An obvious lie. Why would he have a maggot in his hair?

"Like hell I'll believe that!"

"It was wiggling so I had to make it stop wiggling... by smacking it. You should be thankful that I used the bar of soap instead of my hand."

The image of her weaponized prosthetic arm wiggles into mind... most diligently. It is true. He should probably feel super thankful.

"But, seriously... I don't see why you dislike him so much. He is handsome, well respected by the elitists, in love with you, and he still has all his limbs intact. What is there to hate? If I was you, I would be rushing the marriage before prettier girls snatch him away. You're not much of a beauty, you know... and you're not getting any younger, sis. I mean... you're practically an old hag right now... in a few years, you'll probably be deemed—"

There is a dark force weighing on his head. Maybe he over did it this time. Maybe... but, only a little.

"You should learn to restrain yourself, little brother... or else I can't guarantee your safety. I don't really care about him. I truly hope the masochistic pig finds someone else to obsess over. Having all of your limbs intact is nothing to brag about. It's bothersome. I don't want to be bound lawfully to something so troublesome for the rest of my life."

"Well... isn't there a way to fix that? You just need to chop off one of his limbs, right? Just don't chop off the limb that he needs to produce an heir. Then, he won't be immune anymore. Of course, I'm not quite sure if he'll allow you to do that... and father will probably disown you and then kill you. Or maybe... maybe he'll kill you first and then disown later—Hey sis! Your hand shouldn't be there!"

"What? Has it gotten smaller? Why have you become so conscious? I've bathed you since you were four. Let's wash you quickly... then you can sleep with big sister. The sooner we sleep, the sooner they come. The sooner they come, the sooner we can get our hands on the stolen heirloom. The sooner we retrieve it, the sooner we can leave this town."

"Is something else wrong?"

"Well... there has been someone following us recently. I intend to find out who it is after we're done here. Move your hand... it's in the way. There's no point in covering it up now."