VII.

Words of Wisdom

 

“Tell me honestly, Hyoyeon. Do you like dancing?” He asks, watching her as she practices the same dance over and over, getting frustrated each time. She throws her fringe back, tightening her ponytail. “… Well, of course I do. I’ve been doing it for so long, how can I not like it?”

 

“I’m not asking you how long you’ve danced. I’m asking you if you like it or not.” Eunhyuk asks, pressing on. He throws her a water bottle, and she catches it, stopping for a moment. She ponders over his question, drinking the water. “… I do. I do. Yes, that’s right. … But why are you asking me this in the first place? It’s none of your business.”

 

“Who says it’s none of my business? Your business is my business. And I’m asking you because sometimes you seem like you’re just going through the routine of dancing. It makes me wonder whether you’re really happy doing it or is this just a… façade.” His voice lowers to a mutter, trailing off into the silence. The music is off, and the lights are on Hyoyeon. She feels like she’s being interviewed, biting her lips. She wonders why she’s nervous.

 

“What are you talking about, oppa? I love dancing. … And I’m happy doing it. Just like I’m happy… Ah, never mind.” She shakes her head, cutting of her thought and stretching herself before doing a front split, reaching backwards to touch her back leg. “That’s good then, do more of what makes you happy. I like seeing you happy.” He says, smiling.

 

She nods, still in her split position, as if it’s the easiest thing to do. Of course, to her, a dancer, such things are not difficult at all. It’s the basis, flexibility, apart from confidence that makes a dancer. “… Oh, and just like what?” Eunhyuk asks, getting up and then sitting beside her.

 

Hyoyeon returns to normal split position and turns her head to look at him. “It’s nothing.” He shakes his head, raising an eyebrow. “It’s not nothing. Now come on. Tell me or I’ll use my ultimate weapon on you.” He threatens, grinning.

 

“I’d like to see what that weapon is.” She grins back, crossing her legs and turning towards him. “No way I’m telling you. That’s top secret and totally—”

 

She isn’t given another moment of being smug before he leans in and presses his lips onto hers. For a moment she feels like hitting him, because it’s her first kiss, but then slowly, ever so slowly she finds herself moving her lips against his, but moments later he pulls away, smiling.

 

“Now will you tell me?” He asks.

 

“… It’s just that… Well… Just like the way you make me happy.”