Fourth of July

Sugar, We're Going Down

This is probably the main one shot that sparked my desire to write this collection.

 

Just listen to the song and suddenly it was SCREAMING at me to write this out.

 

And I don't like angst, so I don't know how I got this out so easily (and so quickly).

 

Enjoy!


(You and I were, you and I were fire.

You and I were, you and I were fire.

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fire)

 

Sungyeol pulled his jacket a little closer around his body. It may have been almost the end of June, but Seoul nights still had a chill--especially at 9 p.m. Almost the last week, Sungyeol had found himself staying later and later at work--sweeps week was an absolute , especially for production interns--but Sungyeol found himself satisfied with his life at the moment.

 

Maybe not happy, more tired than anything else, but the man found himself satisfied with the position he acquired only a few years out of university.

 

Sungyeol moved to cut through one of the many city parks close to Banpo Bridge on his way back to his small flat. Suddenly small cracks and booms began to shatter behind him--the nightly fireworks and light show was starting. Most nights, Sungyeol paid no attention to the display behind him, but something was making him stop.

 

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

That went off too soon

And I miss you in the June gloom, too

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

I said I'd never miss you

But I guess you never know

May the bridges I have burned light my way back home

On the fourth of July

 

~*~

 

Sungyeol had no idea why his dorm mates were suddenly pulling him out to the beach near campus. He was spending a year abroad in California and all week the other boys had been talking about the Fourth of July for some reason. July 4th? What was so special about it?

 

It was a Thursday… but at least his screenwriting class was cancelled for the week. Actually, almost all of his classes were lighter than usual or just cancelled.

 

Either way, he followed the other boys down to the boardwalk to find it packed along both the deck and the beach below. One of Sungyeol's dorm mates had spotted a food cart nearby, leading the rest of the group away, except a distracted Sungyeol, leaving the tall boy--with only passable English--standing against the railing of the boardwalk and looking towards the beach randomly.

 

“Did you get ditched?”

 

Sungyeol glanced over to his right, surprised at hearing his mother tongue spoken so clearly. Next to him stood a dark-haired man with intense catlike eyes, pale skin, the most perfect nose--no jaw--no everything that Sungyeol had ever seen. And he spoke perfect Korean?

 

“Sorry,” the other man replied in English. “You looked lost enough that I thought you were Korean too.”

 

Too? “You’re Korean?” Sungyeol asked in surprise, his mother tongue flowing freely once again.

 

The man showed a bright smile--oh dear lord, the perfect boy had dimples too--and nodded. “Myungsoo,” he said, holding a hand out in greeting.

 

Sungyeol replied with his own introduction, shaking the outstretched hand as well. “So, what is happening right now?” the taller asked.

 

“You haven’t been to America on July 4th?” Myungsoo replied.

 

Sungyeol shook his head. “I only got here in February.”

 

Myungsoo nodded. “July 4th is the American independence day. They usually do bright fireworks displays and lots of food and picnics--”

 

“And I only got dragged for this? I have the lamest dorm mates ever,” Sungyeol whined.

 

“I think you might have gotten to see the best part,” Myungsoo replied, glancing back at the taller boy.

 

Sungyeol faced the other in defiance. “How so?” Suddenly, Sungyeol heard small explosions ahead of him and turned back to the beach to find a light show of purples, pinks, and golds, one after the other after the other--

 

“It’s beautiful,” the taller breathed.

 

“Yeah, it is.” Sungyeol turned to face the other man only to find those piercing eyes trained right on him.

 

~*~

 

I'll be as honest as you let me

I miss your early morning company

If you get me

You are my favorite "what if"

You are my best "I'll never know"

 

~*~

 

Sungyeol could feel warm breath moving over his neck as he slowly woke up from slumber. The taller man turned over more onto his stomach, feeling the breaths continue around his nape, then slow kisses moving down his spine.

 

The tall man sighed in pleasure, glancing over to the other side of the bed. “What time is it Soo?”

 

“Early,” a husky voice replied behind him.

 

“Then let’s sleep.”

 

Suddenly, Sungyeol was on his back and the teasing grin of the brunette above him now visible. “I have a better idea.” And Sungyeol’s lips were then occupied.

 

~*~

 

“Myungsoo?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you ever think about returning to Korea?”

 

“Maybe someday. I don’t have much to go back to though.”

 

“You’ll have me.”

 

“But you're here right now.”

 

~*~

 

“Do you really have to go back?”

 

“You know I do; I was only here for a year.”

 

“Then transfer here. Finish undergrad here.”

 

Sungyeol sighed. “You know I can’t, Soo. I would have nowhere to stay. And my family--”

 

“But you can stay with me.”

 

“I can’t, Soo. We’ve been through this.”

 

Myungsoo sighed. “I know. Still doesn’t mean I like it.”

 

~*~

 

And I'm starting to forget

Just what summer ever meant to you

What did it ever mean to you?

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean any of it

I just got too lonely, lonely, whoa

In between being young and being right

You were my Versailles at night

 

~*~

 

Sungyeol sat at the airport and sighed. He glanced over at his carry-on, spotting the parka laying across it--not really needed for December in California, but once he got home to Korea, he knew.

 

He watched as the plane in front of him was loaded with baggage from the handlers below. He checked his pockets, checked for his laptop, his headphones, his phone--just anything to keep him from glancing back at the concourse.

 

He was flying back to Korea. One year in America done and gone, and he had asked Myungsoo to come with him. The other just said that he would try.

 

And nothing.

 

Sungyeol ran a hand through his tousled hair; he knew it was too long and that his mother would scold him for it, Daeyeol would say something about his darker, tanned complexion… Yet all of that still seemed so distant and not his reality in only 15 hours.

 

The boarding call for his group was announced and Sungyeol dragged out pulling himself to his feet, draping his bags around him and heading slowly towards the gate. He stood behind an older woman and prayed for a slow line. There were then five people in the line in front of him, then four, three, two

 

And still no dark hair appeared.

 

~*~

 

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

That went off too soon

And I miss you in the June gloom, too

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

I said I'd never miss you

But I guess you never know

May the bridges I have burned light my way back home

On the fourth of July

 

~*~

 

Sungyeol watched the fireworks off the Banpo lightshow and just sighed. That summer, those last months in California seemed so distant when he tried to think about them. And yet, with the fireworks in front of him, a pair of intense dark eyes, raven-brown hair, and the most flawless face were all that he could see.

 

Why was he always like this during the summertime? Why was one relationship, so long ago, still so prominent in Sungyeol’s mind?

 

Fireworks always did this to him. Maybe it was the memory of that afternoon so long ago in America. Or maybe it was because the small explosions reminded him of how his short relationship with Myungsoo was--passionate, explosive, yet gone far quicker than you wanted it to be.

 

~*~

 

My 9 to 5 is cutting open old scars

Again and again 'til I'm stuck in your head

Had my doubts, but I let them out

You are the drought

And I'm the holy water you have been without

 

~*~

 

Upon his return from America, Sungyeol had completed his studies at university--two more years of undergrad, two years for his masters, and then moving immediately into a production internship at one of Seoul’s top broadcast stations. Intern life was definitely not the most glamorous, but Sungyeol relished the experience of it.

 

The busy hustle of everyday life behind the scenes, the constant chasing of newscasters, producers, fact-checking, constant viligance of the news cycle… But it was definitely draining.

 

Sungyeol had thrown himself into his studies and his job the moment his feet hit Korean soil once more. Maybe that was what he was trying to hide from--the man hadn’t had anything remotely close to a relationship since that summer--and sometimes Sungyeol wondered if he was stuck in the past or if Myungsoo still went through the same.

 

He doubted it though.

 

 

Another explosion continued in the night.

 

~*~

 

And all my thoughts of you

They could heat or cool the room

And no, don't tell me you're crying

Oh, honey, you don't have to lie

 

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean any of it

I just got too lonely, lonely, whoa

In between being young and being right

You were my Versailles at night

 

~*~

Sungyeol's family had to be aware that something changed during his year in America. He knew his parents and his brother thought America would have made Sungyeol even more of a goofball than he already was--yet, the sullen, focused Sungyeol that returned was definitely a surprise to his family.

 

Yet, as the fireworks went off in front of Sungyeol, all he could think about was that night so many years before when he met Myungsoo on the boardwalk and began their passionate coupling. And so many years later, Sungyeol could still feel his skin flame at the thought of the younger man’s touch along his skin during those California nights and days.

 

~*~

 

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

That went off too soon

And I miss you in the June gloom, too

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

I said I'd never miss you

But I guess you never know

May the bridges I have burned light my way back home

On the fourth of July

 

~*~

 

Sungyeol caught movement in his peripheral vision and turned his head, glancing at another man stopped a few feet away from him. The man was tall, not as tall as Sungyeol, with straight dark hair, fitted jeans, and a dark green button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. But what caught Sungyeol’s eye was the man’s profile--the perfectly formed nose and jawline one that Sungyeol consistently saw in his memories.

 

“Myungsoo--”

 

“You always were fascinated by the fireworks displays,” the dark-headed male said. “Though I still think the displays in America were a little more brilliant.”

 

“How long have you--”

 

“You look good, Sungyeol,” Myungsoo said, turning his body to face the taller man. “Late night?”

 

Sungyeol could only nod. How many times had he hoped to finally finally cross paths with his past lover once more? “I work in broadcast. It’s sweeps week,” the taller replied.

 

“Sounds intense,” the other sighed. “Are you happy though?”

 

Sungyeol nodded once more.

 

“That’s good,” Myungsoo replied. “I hope you stay that way.” With one last glance back towards the fireworks display still ongoing, Myungsoo moved to walk in Sungyeol's direction then right past the taller man.

 

~*~

 

I wish I'd known how much you loved me

I wish I cared enough to know

I'm sorry every song's about you

The torture of small talk with someone you used to love

 

~*~

 

“Wait!” Sungyeol suddenly found his voice, turning to face the Myungsoo’s retreating back. “Are you?”

 

The other man stopped, yet didn’t turn around. “I don’t know if I can say happy. Content, maybe? Or more just satisfied?”

 

“Do you think that could change?”

 

Myungsoo sighed. “I don’t know. I’ve been this way for awhile; I’m more just used to it at this point.” With that, the man started moving once more.

 

“Awhile, as in since that summer?” Sungyeol asked, taking a step towards the other man.

 

Myungsoo sighed again, this time turning to face the taller man. “And if I say ‘yes’? What does that change, Sungyeol? It doesn’t change what happened back then.”

 

“But things are different now!” Sungyeol exclaimed. “I had no choice back then; we both knew that. But now--now--why can’t we?”

 

“Because we have a past, Sungyeol! Where I loved you, but obviously you didn’t care to love me the same way!” Myungsoo yelled back.

 

“You have no idea how I felt!” Sungyeol replied loudly. “Just because I never said it doesn't mean I never loved you. Hell if I didn’t, would my mind still continue to race every time I see a damn fireworks display? Or even just think about you?!”

 

Myungsoo scoffed. “You can’t go home again, Sungyeol. Surely, you would know that.”

 

Sungyeol took a few more steps forward, bringing the two face-to-face. “Fine then. Because if we started this in America, we can leave all our crap back there. But Korea, here, now, this is my home. This is where I belong.”

 

The joining of their lips stopped any protest from the other man’s lips.

 

~*~

 

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

That went off too soon

And I miss you in the June gloom, too

It was the fourth of July

You and I were, you and I were fire, fire, fireworks

I said I'd never miss you

But I guess you never know

May the bridges I have burned light my way back home

On the fourth of July


This is probably the quickest one shot I have ever written in my life. XD But this song just had that vibe to it and I had to get the story out.

I'm currently listening to Fall Out Boy's discography on repeat right now, so we shall see what song comes to me next. I also may not use complete songs like I did here -- the one just worked so well -- so feel free to leave me a lyric or a verse (or even another song) and we'll see what I can make happen. :D

Thanks for indulging my fangirl convergence, everyone! <3