Epilogue (Part 2)

Deadly (A Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghoon sits on the floor watching Dream playing happily with his toy truck. He runs his fingers through his hair and taps the floor impatiently, staring at his mobile phone. 
"Is there anything wrong?" Byul asks from the kitchen. Donghoon looks up, worry etched on his face. 
"Yes," he says honestly. "Jongkook hyung hasn't picked up his phone for the past eight hours." 
"I'm worried," Donghoon admits. 
"Maybe he just needs some time to clear his head," Byul suggests as she takes a seat next to her husband.
"Maybe," Donghoon murmurs, but he doesn't sound convinced at all. Just then, his phone rings. 
"It's Jaesuk Hyung," he says and picks up the call hurriedly. "
"Hyung!" Donghoon exclaims into the phone. "Has Jongkook hyung contacted you? He isn't answering his phone." 
"Haha ya," a breathless Jaesuk nearly yells. "I received a call from the hospital. They-they said..." 
Jaesuk trails off and Donghoon tenses up. He did not like where this was going. 
"What?" Haha asks despite himself. "What happened, hyung?" 
"Kookjongie." Jaesuk's voice is strained. "Come to the hospital, Donghoon. He's been involved in an accident." 
Donghoon bolts out of the door after promising Byul that he would call her later and speeds to the hospital.

Donghoon practically slides into the A&E department of Seoul National University Hospital. He gets directed to the waiting room by an all-too-calm nurse and finds that Jaesuk, Sukjin and Kwangsoo already there. Their faces are grim and sad. Donghoon's gaze falls on Kwangsoo who's curled up in a ball and crying on the plastic hospital chairs. Sukjin has a comforting hand placed on the maknae's shoulder and looks like he was going to start crying himself. So, Donghoon stumbles his way to Jaesuk and clings on to his arm. 
"A staff member called me just now," Jaesuk's voice comes out shaky. "They said that I was one of the names on Jongkook's emergency contacts. His family lives in Anyang and will take a longer time to come to Seoul. He's been in an accident, Donghoon ya." 
Donghoon holds his breath. 
"It's a bad one," Jaesuk chokes out. "They said, that when the paramedics found him, he was in a bad shape." Jaesuk's wipes away a tear on his cheek. 
"No," Donghoon whispers. "Hyung's a safe driver. He-he couldn't." He drops into one of the chairs and leans back onto the cold plastic.         
"Not after Jihyo," Donghoon says to no one in particular. "He can't die." 
Kwangsoo sobs harder after that.

 

Five hours in the waiting room and no news yet. Donghoon looks around him. The waiting room's filled with Jongkook's friends and families, and even Jihyo's parents and brother were there. Jongkook's and Jihyo's mothers were seated on the chairs, tears streaming down their faces while their husbands sat beside them solemnly. Jongkook's brother had to fetch his family  back home since they had small children and Jihyo's brother was talking to Jaesuk softly. Taehyun and Janghyuk were standing at the far end of the room, hands folded and expressions sad. Donghoon looks at Kwangsoo. He had stopped crying, but the maknae still looked like a total mess. 
"I'm going to punch the truck driver who had hit Jongkook hyung," Kwangsoo mutters. 
"It might not entirely be his fault Kwangsoo ya," Sukjin says. "Maybe Jongkookie was distracted as well." 
Donghoon stares at the ceiling. Jongkook had always been a careful driver, he wasn't one to let his mind wander when driving. But still, watching your wife die and knowing that you couldn't do anything about it was a horrible experience. Donghoon wonders a little, if Jongkook had let the truck hit him. He wonders if the thought of suiciding had ever crossed Jongkook's mind the night he came back from the beach to the house carrying Jihyo's limp body in his arms; or when he gently placed Jihyo's body on the couch and pressed one last kiss on her cold lips. Donghoon shuddered. 
"I know what you're thinking," Kwangsoo says all of a sudden. Donghoon turns to Kwangsoo who's glaring at him. 
"Jongkook hyung's not that kind of person," Kwangsoo shakes his head and presses his lips together. 
"I know, Kwangsoo. I know."

 

"Friends and family of Mr Kim Jongkook?" The surgeon questions hesitantly at the crowd gathered in the room. At once, many heads lifted and people rushed to the doctor. 
"How is my son?" Jongkook's mother asks desperately. 
"Is he okay?" Donghoon hears Jihyo's brother. 
"Where is he?" That was Jihyo's father. The doctor clears his throat and everyone falls silent. Donghoon bites the inside of his cheeks. He'll be fine. He'll be fine. 
"Mr Kim..." The doctor looks very very sad. "I'm sorry."
Donghoon mentally curses the doctor-what does he mean by he's sorry.
"He isn't responding to the tests we've given him; he has no neurological activity." The docto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter