Deadly

Deadly (A Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The illness was spreading like wildfire. It started with her kidneys, causing an emergency operation to be unavoidable and many chemotherapy sessions after that. All the new drugs introduced were rejected violently and painfully and chemo just wasn't  working anymore. The illness attacked her lungs next, red hot flames the walls and sending shots of agony throughout. Finally, it targeted her heart. She didn't have much time left, they said.                 
There were millions and billions of people on earth, but he wonders why it just had to be her.

He gets brought back to his senses by the rev of the engine. He blinks a few times, confused, before registering the interior of the Jeep. He turns to his right and smiles, staring at the woman dozing on his shoulder. Gently, he srokes her silky black hair. He closes his eyes and leans back on the leather seat. 
"Tired?" Jaesuk asks quietly. 
"Yeah," Jongkook replies. 
Jaesuk just nods and gives the other man a squeeze on the shoulder. They are silent for the rest of the ride, watching the view outside the window pass by in a blurred mess.

"Honey, we're here," Jongkook calls to her softly as he tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. The moment she opens her eyes and looks at him, he regrets waking her up. She looks tired- dark brown eyes gazing up with barely any life, skin paler than paper and chapped lips. But still, she was beautiful. 
Jihyo manages a weak smile at her husband and slides her thin hand into his stretched out one. Jongkook supports her as they slowly make their way into the beachside home they had booked. Jongkook tries not wince at how skinny she feels and how she looks like she might collapse any moment. His mind wanders to a life without her-not that she was going anywhere, he hastily corrects himself. So,he continues holding on to her, because that's what he always has and forvever will be doing.

It had been Jihyo's idea to go on a trip. Jongkook had refused strongly at first, and so did her family and friends. But Jihyo pleaded for it to happen, and nobody could refuse Jihyo. It took much begging and pleading to get the doctor to sign the form and let her out.
"I want her to have nice memories," Jongkook remembered saying to her doctor.
"I know," the doctor says back. 
"She really wants to go. And i want to spend more time with her. You get it?" Jongkook's voice comes out in a hoarse whisper. 
"Yeah, I do," the doctor replies just as weakly and signs that form after that. 
Jihyo's doctor makes sure to hug her patient for a second too long on the day of Jihyo's discharge. "You take care of yourself, okay?" The doctor murmurs as she pats Jihyo's back. Jihyo nods and smiles, squeezing back lightly. When her doctor releases and stands back to look at Jihyo, there are tears in her eyes. The doctor looks at Jihyo with glassy eyes as she hobbles out of the hospital room and smiles at her one last time.
"I'll miss her," the doctor whispers just loud enough for Jongkook to hear. 
Jongkook pretends not to hear it.

Jaesuk, Sukjin and Haha were in the kitchen cooking dinner. Gary and Kwangsoo were engrossed in watching a movie on the iPad. Jihyo was resting her head on Jongkook's shoulder. She focuses on her breathing. In,out. In,out. Jihyo could feel the tension in her chest fade away slowly and the room becomes silent. She listens to the sizzling and the clanking of pots and pans in the kitchen, the gentle crashing of waves and Jongkook's humming. She closes her eyes and breathes in Jongkook's scent. She wonders when her last day on earth, last day with him was and sighs. She would miss him-,she would miss everyone, but him the most. Jongkook, who had wiped away her tears and made her smile despite how much she didn't want to; Jongkook who nagged at her to eat healthy and exercise more; Jongkook who was with her th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter