Epilogue (Part 1)

Deadly (A Short Story)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongkook finds himself outside her favourite cafe, hand on the silver handle of the glass door he dare not pull open. His eyes flicker to inside of the cafe where he spots their usual table at the deepest corner. A waiter in the cafe looks at the entrance, eyebrowns sewn together in confusion at why the man standing outside hasn't entered yet. Jongkook pulls the door open and steps into the cafe, the strong scent of coffee and baked muffins inviting him in. 
"May I help you, sir?" The waiter asks respectfully. Jongkook looks at the boy properly- he couldn't be more than eighteen years of age judging by his bright eyes and youthful features. 
"Um," Jongkook pauses. He wasn't sure what he was doing at the cafe, to be honest. "One latte decaf and one iced macchiato, please." 
"Of course," the boy nods before hurrying behind the counter to prepare the drinks. Jongkook settles himself at their usual table and stares at the empty seat opposite him. This cafe was where they had their first date, he remembers fondly.
"Sir," the waiter says. Jongkook looks up at the boy.  
"Yes?" Jongkook asks as he places the drinks on the table. The boy's eyes are soulful.
"People leave, and we don't have to get over it,we just have to accept it."
Jongkook feels that that was the best advice he had gotten for a while. He mutters a thanks and a small smile before slinking out of the cafe.
He sips on his decaf slowly in the car. He leans back on the headrest and breathes out when his muscles loosen. The lights blinks back to green and he steps on the accelarator, his black BMW speeding ahead the rest of the cars. He looks at the macchiato that will probably never be drunk. Maybe, he thinks, he bought it just to hold on to a tiny glimmer of hope that everything would go back to the way it was before.
He exists the highway and turns into a rather deserted road. His mind clouds over with Jihyo. He stares blankly at the mostly straight road with occasional turns, which his hands take care of by magically turning the steering wheel as if they had a mind of their own. A car with three kids seated at the back and two parents at the front passed by and Jongkook looked at them enviously. Him and Jihyo had wanted children, two girls and a boy, he recalled.

He came knocking on her door that night, dressed in nothing but a sleeveless tank top and broadshorts. As he stands outside awkwardly, he wonders why he was even here. He was aware that the entire hallway was filled with cameras capturing his every movement, but he figures the editors and PDs would just ignore the matter with a slight raise of eyebrows and shrugs. She opens the door about eight seconds later with messy hair. She was clad only in a white bathrobe and he couldn't help but scan her from head to toe. His eyes unconsciously travels to her cleavage

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter