it's all about investing

Tis the Season for Love

when kyungsoo isn't sure about dating jongin because whenever he dates, he gives 100% and barely gets back 50%
this was written a super long time ago and was inspired by my communications lecture
also it may seem like there's more baek than nini but he sorta serves a bit of comic relief and as a catalyst for their relationship
it's time for finals so it basically means let's see how long i can study without wanting to kill myself (i fail immediately)
words: 1.8k
warning: kinda trashy and idk if you'll get the point that's aight since this is just a dump for ideas i have


“I like you.”

Kyungsoo slowly looks up from his paperwork to see Jongin standing before him, his cheeks slowly blooming into a pretty pink. He blinks and he drops a big fat, “What?”

Jongin wrings his hands and he shyly repeats, “I like you. A lot.”

“Uhhh…”

“Oh, you don’t have to say anything right now! I just wanted to tell you that I really really like you,” Jongin adds quickly. He opens his mouth to say something but closes it soon after. He sheepishly smiles at the man and then scurries out of the break room.

Kyungsoo stares at the door with wide eyes and his mouth open. He snaps out of his daze and fishes out his phone to call Baekhyun.

“Sup —“ Baekhyun answers.

“Meet me in the spot. Now,” Kyungsoo says as he gathers his things quickly.

“Oh .”

Baekhyun runs from his cubicle to the supply closet, the one near the back staircase that no one ever uses, and the moment he opens the door, a hand yanks him in. He lets out a high pitched scream and when he sees that he's face to face with Kyungsoo, he lets out a breath of relief. “What the , Kyungsoo! You almost gave me a heart attack!”

“Jongin said he liked me.” 

“Wait, what?”

Kyungsoo grabs Baekhyun and pulls his so close their noses are basically touching. “Kim Jongin said he liked me,” he repeatedly very slowly.

The other man looks at him in surprise and he pushes the shorter man away. “Whoa, he confessed to you? It was about damn time.”

Kyungsoo narrows his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest. “What do you mean it was about damn time? Tell me everything you know.”

Baekhyun leans back against the shelf, nearly knocking over several rolls of paper towels. “Well, I think the whole office knows that Jongin has the hots for you. It was pretty obvious after his first week here. He was head over heels when you were training him and we all started a betting pool to see when he would confess. Looks like I just won a couple hundred bucks,” he laughs evilly.

“This is not a joke! What do I do?” Kyungsoo cries as he punches his friend on the arm.

The elder gasps in pain and he says with extra emphasis, “Ow. And how should I know? He confessed to you, not me. Do you even like him?”

Kyungsoo freezes and a sly grin spreads on Baekhyun’s face. “I see that look on your face, Kyungsoo. You so like him! Chanyeol owes me fifty now.”

“Seriously, stop betting on my love life!” Kyungsoo exclaims. "And I don’t know, okay. I mean, he’s sweet and cute and caring but I don’t know if I want to date him. You know how things go when I date someone.”

The light in the supply closet flickers for a moment and Baekhyun looks up in horror. “Oh my god, did you see that?”

“Hey, focus!” Kyungsoo snaps his fingers. “What should I do?”

Baekhyun shrugs with a clueless expression. “I don’t know. Do whatever you want.”

“You’re not helping,” the former groans as he slaps a hand over his face.

“Fine, why don’t you just talk to Jongin about your little dilemma? I’m sure he’ll understand especially since he likes you to the moon and back.”

“Does he really?” Kyungsoo asks shyly, his cheeks turning pink.

“Yes! Now go out there and talk to the poor boy. I have money that’s waiting to be collected so have fun and don’t call me unless you’re dying!” Baekhyun sings as he opens up the supply closet door.

Kyungsoo sighs as his friend leaves him alone in the closet and he drops down to a squat. He runs a hand through his hair and lets out a breath. He thinks about Jongin for a little, agonizing over his feelings and issue, and decides the best course of action is to talk to the younger. He gets up from the floor and when he looks up, he sees just the man he wants to talk to.

“Holy , you scared me.” Kyungsoo jumped, holding a hand over his racing heart.

Jongin smiles meekly and he scratches the back of his head. “S-Sorry. Baekhyun said that you wanted to see me and that I could find you in the supply closet by the back staircase. What are you doing here anyways?”

“Thinking. Just thinking,” the elder answers lamely while cursing his friend to the high heavens.

The taller man nods and the two fall into an awkward silence. Jongin looks around the hallway, lips pursed together cutely, and Kyungsoo looks down at his shoes. He starts thinking about how dirty they look when Baekhyun’s words then come to mind and he lets out a groan knowing that his friend was right.

“Hey, Jongin?” Kyungsoo hesitantly calls out.

Jongin looks down at him and blinks. “Yes?”

Kyungsoo takes in a deep breath and he slowly exhales. “I really don’t know how to say this,” he starts as he scratches at that spot below his ear.

Jongin’s face falls and he tries to hide his feelings behind an awkward smile. “Oh, I understand. I’m sorry for—“

“Wait, what? You didn’t even hear what I have to say!”

“So…you’re not rejecting me?”

“Something like that?”

Jongin’s eyebrows scrunch together in confusion and he shakes his head. “I-I don’t understand. Are you saying yes?”

Kyungsoo groans and he grabs his hair in frustration. “ing Baekhyun, he better run away the minute I see him or else I’m going to kill him,” he mutters under his breath. He looks up and struggles to speak. “What I want to say—it’s not you, it’s me—wait, no, I—“

Jongin places a hand on his shoulders and gives a reassuring look. “Take your time. But not too much time since lunch is ending soon,” he says with a small smile.

The elder is grateful for his patience and he weakly grins. “Thanks. Okay, what I’m about to say is not because of you, but because of me. Jongin, I was extremely flattered when you said that you liked me. To tell the truth, I like you a bit too but I don’t know if I’m ready to date. You see, every time I date someone, it never really works out because I’m always giving my all in the relationship while the other person doesn’t really care much. To put it simply, I put in one hundred percent while they only put in fifty or less and it’s extremely exhausting. That’s why I’m scared about dating. I don’t want to be the only one putting in all the effort and using up all of my energy when the other person treats it as a fling. Do you get what I’m saying?”

Jongin listens intently and then lets out a breath of air he didn’t know he was holding. He his lips and plays with his lanyard as he thinks to himself. Kyungsoo watches him and is worried that he scared off the boy with his whole speech but that concern is washed away when a small smile appears on his face.

“A relationship,” Jongin says softly, “can’t work unless both parties share the workload and responsibilities. You did all the work in your past relationships and you’re scared that that’ll happen every time but I promise you, that won’t be the case with me. I will be the one doing all of the work. I will be the one putting all of my energy and effort into it. I will put my all into making this work. Like I tell our clients, it’s all about investing. I will invest the same time and effort as you so that you won’t be tired at the end of the day. Only if you let me, of course.”

Kyungsoo is taken aback by his response and he chuckles breathily. “If you did everything while I did nothing, I’m pretty sure you would break up with me in an instant.”

Jongin snorts and he stuffs his hands into his pockets. “We’ll see when that happens. So is that a yes?”

The elder takes in a breath and he exhales with his lips curling up. “It’s a yes.”

Jongin stares at him for a moment before engulfing him in a warm hug. Kyungsoo bursts out laughing and he hugs him back. The taller man pulls back and he shyly asks, “Can I kiss you?”

Kyungsoo chortles and he tilts his head up and closes his eyes. Jongin flusters for a moment before he closes his eyes and presses his lips against his now boyfriend. He smiles into the kiss and when he pulls back, he says, “Wow, I’ve been waiting forever to do that. You have really soft lips.”

“So I’ve been told,” Kyungsoo smirks as he opens his eyes.

Jongin’s face turns red and Kyungsoo can’t help but smile. “You’re really cute, did you know that?”

“I prefer to be told that I’m handsome but I’ll take it. So this is official?”

“No, I lied,” Kyungsoo deadpans.

“Wait, what?” Jongin panics.

The elder breaks out into a wide grin and he laughs, “I’m just kidding. Yes, this is official.” He then looks down at his watch and he frowns. “Shoot, lunch is over. We should probably head back before the manager rips us a new one.”

Jongin nods and Kyungsoo can’t help but mentally compare him to a puppy. The two walk back to the main cubicle area and cheers erupt the moment their coworkers see them together. Baekhyun is leaning against the wall of his cubicle with a smirk and he waves a twenty dollar bill in the air. “Thanks for my rent, guys.”

“ you, Baekhyun,” Kyungsoo curses and Jongin looks at him cluelessly. The elder pats his cheek and he says, “Don’t worry, it’s just Baekhyun being a .”

Baekhyun cackles and Jongin wraps an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “Well, if he wants to be a to you, he’ll have to go through me from now on.”

Kyungsoo melts at his words and he throws Baekhyun the evil eye. “Hear that, ? You gotta go through my man now if you want to mess with me.”

Your man? Do Kyungsoo you—“

Baekhyun,” Jongin warns lowly.

The brunet gulps and he nervously chuckles. “Wow, would you look at the time? I should probably head back to work. Congrats on your new boyfriend, Soo. Hope things work out for you this time.”

“I’m sure they will,” Kyungsoo says and then looks up at Jongin. “After all, it’s all about investing, right?”

Jongin beams at him and nods. “Right. It’s all about investing."