Prologue.

Dysphoria

Prologue

Past memories.

(A/N; This is my second vkook fanfic, but my first time doing a story in this style – I hope you enjoy ! Also this chapter is only background story)

 

December 27th 2008

•••••

Snow dripped clumsily from the sky, soft white velvet petals falling. Gently brushing the floor before melting into it. Every bit as gently as it fell, it enveloped a body, still warm.

 

Frost travelled through out the body, icing its draining veins and freezing the tears which fell down a young boy's cheeks as they poured. It was the body of a woman which laid in the snow, face bloodied and unrecognisable. The boy held her hand tightly, entangling his warm and small fingers with the woman's stiff, lifeless ones. The boy's hair fell in front of his face in wet strands as he hung his head low, his dark caramel locks matching the roots of the disfigured woman, who seemed to have had dyed her own.

 

He heard the soft whisper of snow crunching behind him, making him jerk his head up in fear, only to meet eyes with a short, chubby-cheeked, boy who looked his own age. Said boy stared at the caramel-haired boy in front of him, his lightly bronzed skin and porcelain features. Simply mesmerising. Then his eyes, a colour he had never seen or even fathomed, something he never imagined ever coming across. Gold. He was entranced by his uncommon, but, beautiful appearance. The golden eyed boy blinked at the other boy, small droplets of snow falling off his long, dark eyelashes as he did so. He was well dressed, some kind of nouveau riche style. Despite his eloquent clothings, his raven, jet black hair was scruffy and his shirt was only half tucked in his boyish shorts. His drooping, black doe eyes shimmered and reflected different hues of blue as the moonlight bounced off of them.

 

However, their examination of one another was cut short, when further steps were heard. Snapped out of his trance, the other boy finally looked down at the poor, beaten woman that tainted the white blanket of snow around her crimson. His eyes slowly widening in horror.

 

Kookie-ah, don't run ahead without us in the middle of the ni-” A similarly well dressed woman's mouth fell wide open as she, straight away, spotted the horror show sprawled out on the ground in front of her. Followed by the deep hollow gasp of a man who the boy resembled strongly. After being shell shocked for a few minutes, the man began rummaging nervously through his pockets as his wife rushed over to the mutilated woman on the floor. The boy moved out the way to let the woman through, she dirtied her expensive dress without hesitation as she quickly checked the body for a pulse. In vain. She was hopeful, but it was blatantly obvious the woman was dead.

 

Call the police...” She spoke in a soft mournful voice, her husband quickly nodded and did as told. The young boy tilted his head at the woman in confusion. The woman hadn't paid much attention to the little boy until now. The boy saw the beautiful woman's eyes widening as she realised he was there, a light summer blue swirled in her eyes despite them being black, matching blue hues that twinkled in the other little boy's eyes. He watched, cautiously, as hesitatingly moved, trying to formulate words. The woman then stared at the boy's unusual golden eyes and as she looked ready to speak, but, she was interrupted by the deafening sound of sirens.

 

Where is your mother ?” The woman managed to ask, as her husband guided the police over, but the boy stayed mute.

 

What is your name ?” The boy remained quiet but when he saw the men in uniforms approaching, fear filled his picturesque, golden flecked eyes and he began cowering nearer to the woman. The woman raised an eyebrow, full of worry and whispered comfortingly to the little boy.

 

They will ask you questions about what happened so you will have to go with them. Don't worry nothing bad will happen to you. Just tell them the truth.” As the woman spoke a glassy coat began to cover the boy's eyes. Shivers wormed themselves into the very tissues of his muscles. He ran.

 

Hey !” The woman stood up to chase after him, but her complicated attire slowed her down too much – she realised very soon she could not possible catch up. The other boy, Jungkook, stared off avidly in the direction the boy had ran off. A close by forested area, where the trees stood tall and knitted into one another.

 

Jungkook felt as if he had two paths laid out in front of him. Back to his mother, father, the police and the bleeding body.. or the tree tangled forest the mysterious boy had ran off to. The more he dwelled on it, the slower everything became. The snow falling around him, the cold creeping into his every pore.. and the fleeting blood of the woman's body, spreading so far in the snow. Slowly reaching his feet. He knew which path was the right path.. so why did he choose the wrong one ? Jungkook ran, he ran faster than his little legs could manage.

 

Jungkook-ah !” The woman screamed after him, she bore no mind towards the rest of what was going on, the police or her restraining outfit; this was her child running off now. Taking her shoes off, she ran bare foot in the biting snow after him.

 

Seo-ah !” Her husband shouted after her, he wanted to follow but when he glanced at the officers, they gave him a dubious look. He knew he had to deal with the situation at hand before running after the both of them. Guiltily, he bit his bottom lip, angry he could not help his wife. But he had to subdue that anger and answer the officers the best he could.

 

 

Jungkook ran, faster and faster. Scared he would trip over at any minute – but he didn't care. It wasn't his mind that led him to run, some other ethereal feeling. He felt stupid, chasing a fleeting shadow of a boy. It was as though he was playing tag with his imaginary friend when he was even younger than now. He heard barely audible, muted shouts from behind. Probably his mother. He couldn't slow down, even if he wanted to, something further was pushing him. Like his legs were cursed.

 

Despite not being able to focus his eyesight well, he tried to look around as much as possible – alas he was entirely lost and was being guided solely by his feet. Suddenly, something he feared would happen did, he tripped over on the smaller root of a big tree which was blanketed over in snow. Jungkook tumbled down some sort of hill. Luckily the thick snow cushioned his fall and he got away with only a few scratches and tears in his garments. Jungkook landed face flat in the snow at the bottom of the steep hill. He felt like giving up when he heard familiar sobs. The ones that led him to discover the body and boy in the first place. His body lifted itself up, as if it was acting of its own accord. Mechanically following the sounds, Jungkook's mind went blank. He was entranced. Bewitched.

 

 

It had been a while since the golden eyed boy had been running away now. He was almost certain the woman stopped chasing after him. Praying he ran far enough, he finally let himself go. Fell to his hands and knees, scraping them on the way, his little hands melted the snow beneath them and he felt his feelings slowly engulfing him. A warm, unpleasantness raced back to the corners of his eyes, blurring his eyesight. It hurts. It was the only thing going through his mind. Repeating over and over, like a haunting chant, burning him alive. Glistening, transparent pearls trickled down his cheeks, dropping to the snow, their warmth melting it as they sank in. Just like his hands did. He tried to drown the little noises that blurted out of his mouth by muffling it with one of his hands, droplets dripping from his cold fingers as his hand had previously been in the snow.

 

He heard the snow crunching lightly underneath steps, slow and uneasy steps. The boy jerked his back in the direction of the sound, not caring about how weak he looked with his tear covered face. It felt like a deja vu. The two boys ogled each other out once again.

 

Why are you crying..What happened to you.. The thoughts lingered in Jungkook's mind, but he didn't muster up the courage to ask them. Instead he just kept looking at the crying boy, his beautiful face failing to hide the pain which tortured it, stained by tears which kept rolling down its sides. Jungkook had no clue what to do. Shouldn't he be cautious of this boy ? He found him next to a dead body, he didn't know how or why the boy was involved in something that was clearly murder. Even though Jungkook was only eleven, he was mature for his age and could tell the boy was trouble. So why did his legs keep walking towards him ? Why did his body ignore him ?

 

The golden eyed boy followed Jungkook's movements careful, his honey eyes widening when he realised Jungkook was getting dangerously close to him. Scared he was going to harm him, he flinched. However, to his surprise, the boy slumped down on his knee, to his level and looked him straight in the eyes. His big drooping, doe eyes locking the boy's gaze to only look at him. He felt helpless in front of the other boy before him, his body would not move an inch, all his limbs became unresponsive and his tears kept streaming down. Jungkook wasn't sure what he was doing, but he wanted the boy to stop crying.

 

Slowly, Jungkook wrapped his arms around the boy, latching securely onto him. A warmth rushed over the golden boy, not just from the the warm clothes of the boy, but something else. He felt elated, his sorrows became smaller, even just for an instant. Jungkook began rubbing the boy's back in circular motions, still unsure as to why he was helping this strange boy, the latter snuggled deeper into the hug. Jungkook could feel him shake, his breath hitched and he heard the odd muffled sob. Calmly, he tried his best to console the boy.

 

What is your name ?” Jungkook finally spoke, in a hushed voice as to not scare the boy. He waited for a reply. After a while he started giving up on getting one, not that he expected one that much anyway.

 

Taehyung.” A small, angelic voice spoke out. Jungkook's eye widened and he felt his heart beat begin to increase all of a sudden, he didn't think the boy would answer, let alone have such a sweet voice.

 

I'm Jungkook.” He said simply. He felt the boy's head nod acknowledging what he had just said.

 

Not long ago, Jungkook had two paths in front of him, which would change his life forever. The right one or the wrong one. Little did he know he picked the wrong one, and grave consequences would come from having chased after Taehyung.

 

Slightly, he pulled away from the frail looking boy in his arms to look at him. Wiping tears away with his thumb and drying his golden flecked eyes with the sleeve of his other arm. He couldn't begin to fathom how this boy could be in anyway shape or form dangerous, Jungkook was sure he made the right decision in chasing after him.

 

Jungkook had finally managed to get Taehyung, the sensitive, golden eyed boy to calm down. His sobs drowned down to faint hiccups now. They sat together in the cold snow, Jungkook dotingly down the boy's dark caramel hair. As he dis so, he noticed the boy wasn't very groomed. His hair was clean, but, barely. Tangled in places and not cut well either. His clothes were not up to scratch, creased, stained and a couple of discernible tiny holes. Considering the current weather too, he was no way near wearing enough layers to keep him warm. Who was exactly was he ?

 

Jungkook-ah !” A familiar, angry voice boomed from behind Jungkook, he looked at Taehyung's face before turning, he was scared. It was none other than Jungkook's mother who had finally caught up, the first thing that grabbed Jungkook's eyes was her expensive dress in tatters. Probably ripped from running through the forest. The second was her bare feet. Guilt filled Jungkook's eyes, her feet were turning red from the sheer cold of the snow, they were covered in small scratches and bruises. Jungkook scrunched up his nose feeling awful for having abandoned his mother earlier, leaving her in the dark. He looked up at her.

 

Umma, I'm sorry..” The woman's face softened immediately once she realised Jungkook was safe and no danger came to him.

 

Do not run off like this ever again.” She commanded, sternly, etching this rule in bold. Jungkook nodded to show he understood. Her gaze then wavered to the boy behind Jungkook. It was the one from earlier. She furrowed her eyebrows, wrinkling her forehead slightly and looked at Jungkook again.

 

Jungkook-ah, this boy.. we need to bring him to the police his mother was ..” She didn't finish her sentence, not knowing how to tell two young boys they had just become witnesses to a gruesome murder.

 

His name is Taehyung-ah,” Jungkook firmly informed, ignoring what his mother was trying to say, “Could we keep him ?” he said this so straightforwardly, like this was a normal request. The woman widened her eyes and raised her eyebrows, in disbelief that her son just asked if they could “keep” another human being.

 

Jungkook-ah, he's not a pet, we can't just take him with us ! He probably doesn't want to either ! Besides, the police needs to have a word with him too !”

 

I want to come with you.. please.” Taehyung's sweet voice came out from behind Jungkook, he looked at the woman with glassy, pleading and desperate eyes. He did not fully understand why he suddenly volunteered to go with them, but he had nowhere else with his mother gone .. and Jungkook was the first person he felt safe by.

 

But.. we do not want another child..” The woman lowered her gaze to the snow below, not wanting to see any more of that begging look Taehyung gave her. Suddenly, he stood up, snow flicked off his trousers as he did so and some of it stuck. He bowed. Low. Fighting back tears. The woman looked at him shell shocked, gaped slightly open. She looked at him with a pitiful expression.

 

Taehyung-ah.. If you come with me to testify what you saw to the police.. I will consider asking my husband if you can work for us.” Taehyung's eyes glittered as he looked up at her, disbelieving his own luck. The woman looked at Jungkook.

 

Jungkook could use someone to take care of him while we work.. and be his friend.”

 

Taehyung nodded, the young boys trailed after the woman. Tracing back their steps in order to leave the ghostly forest. Naturally, the woman took hold of Jungkook's hand, motherly looking after him. Naturally trying to protect him. Taehyung merely kept following behind, his dewy eyes locked on to Jungkook and his mother's entwined fingers. It hurts. The thought crept back in and erupted into his mind. The tears began glossing over his eyes again but he managed to subdue the pain and hold it in.

 

Today, the golden eyed boy had lost a lot. Much more than a twelve year old boy should. Taehyung lost a person he remembered as his mother, and knew he felt strongly towards – but he did not know why or how he knew this. He also lost his home too, but he did not know where it even had been before. Taehyung had lost all his memories prior to the incident. All he had were scattered fragments of meaningless moments here and there. He had to do his best to convince the boy and his mother to somehow take him in – not that it seemed likely to happen. Despite the unquenchable pain, mentally draining him, he had to do his best. He looked at the raven haired boy. His hair darker than the night sky when all the street lights were turned off – yet the boy shined. He seemed like his only way out, his only salvation from this situation. If Taehyung failed to convince them to take him in, he had no idea where he could possibly go or what untold miseries would tumble upon him.

 

 

Having made their way back already, Taehyung was speaking to the police as Jungkook's dad stood by, listening in. However, he only grasped a little a bit of information before being asked to leave them to speak in private. He made his way back to his wife and son, surprised to see Jungkook did not take his eyes off Taehyung a single second, not even to acknowledge he came back. When he looked up at his wife, she gave him a pitiful expression and began to speak about what Jungkook had asked earlier.

 

Did you see anyone at all after the attack, perhaps running off away from the scene ?” The officer spoke to him like he disregarded the fact he was just a child.

 

No.. I-I only remember opening my eyes and-” His voice broke, the other officer put his hand on his partner's shoulder.

 

He doesn't remember anything, the poor kid's got some sort of amnesia it looks like; there's no point trying to pry more out of him.” His partner furrowed his eyebrows but his face softened when he looked at Taehyung's worried expression. After all, the poor child did lose his mother today.

 

Where should we take him ? We can't put a kid in a cell.” He got down on one knee, dirtying his previously immaculate uniform in the snow. “Where is your home ? Is there anywhere you can stay ?” Taehyung shook his head as an answer. He had nowhere to go, if he did, he didn't remember where.

 

Uhm..” Someone behind them spoke up, it was Jungkook's dad. “If the boy has nowhere to stay and doesn't remember anything.. we could use another worker at our house while you continue your investigation or until he remembers anything.. of course you can keep checks on him too.” The man was very tall and had an faultlessl clean shave, he took out some business card from his trench coat's pocket and handed it to them.

 

Oh, you're Mr. Jeon !” Announced one of the two officers. The other examined the card, Kim Jeon was a very well respected business man, a genius prodigy making remarkable advances in his field of work.

 

I'll check with the head of our department.” He grumbled quietly to his co-worker and stepped away from them, lifting his radio up to speak to it. Taehyung looked up to Kim Jeon, unable to decrypt his poker face.

 

Moments later, the officer came back.

 

I didn't know you were a personal friend of the head of the department.” He belted in a chuckle. “He said it should be fine for at least tonight considering the circumstances, although we will definitely get in contact with you tomorrow, for now at least the boy will have a place to stay.”

 

Taehyung felt himself welling up, hoping it would all be okay. Having heard what the police officer said, the first person he looked to was not the man accepting him into his home, but Jungkook. When he did, he saw Jungkook smiling at him simply. He looked like he was telling him;

 

Everything will be fine.

 

 

(A/N) Bonjour !

This chapter was hella long... I'm not sure if the others will be this length haha.

 

This is my second story on here (and third story I have written altogether), in a completely different style to my other one, but I hope I get responses as positive as my other story did.

Thank you for reading !