More Secrets

Keep Me Afloat
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[ A/N: Since I haven't updated in a while, click here for a summary of the past 10 chapters so you can refresh your brain ] 

 

Jaebum and Youngjae were the school’s most known dynamic duo. Despite being in different sports, the two were always seen next to each other during their spare time. They were really close as people could see, but it wasn’t exactly like that on the inside. With the ongoing fight, they were hardly talking. Youngjae knew deep inside that he shouldn’t be upset at Jaebum, but he was. Despite having his own secrets from the other, he hated how he could easily spot his boyfriend’s and hate how there just wasn’t enough trust in the relationship where they could tell each other everything. That was not how a relationship worked, but apparently that was the reality for the two of them.

 

Knowing very well that Jaebum was going to be busy over the weekend, Youngjae decided to head to heart of Seoul, as he usually did when he was not crammed with practice, schoolwork, or student council duties. He quickly lied to his mother that he was going to practice and texted Jaebum, in case he was to look for him, that he was not going to be able to see him for today, which was not a lie but there was just omitted information.

Youngjae quickly put on his floppy hat that covered his face in an artistic and appealing way. Once in Hongdae, he would meet with one of his friends who would give him all that he would need to play out in the streets. His name was Kyungsoo and their friendship was completely platonic, but Youngjae was more than grateful to have his help when he wanted to what he loved. The two met when they were fighting over the same spot to perform and then ended up having a sing off which later led to them quickly tiring out and getting to know each other through a cup of coffee.

He would set up at any spot and simply perform. There was no set structure to it. Whatever he wanted to sing, he sang. Whatever he wanted to play, he played. It made him feel content with his life. Throughout all the stress in his life, he knew he could rely on performing to make him feel at peace. Sure, there was also Jaebum to rely on, but during instances like now where they were in a fight, he especially needed music more than ever. A crowd would usually come and listen to him. There were also some regulars that he noticed that would come as much as they could to listen to his voice, sometimes even leaving little fan notes in his jar saying how much they liked him which was heartwarming. People often gave money in his jar which he would use to pay back Kyungsoo or if there was even a surplus, save for his dates with Jaebum.

    “Why do you go to a sports high school when you have such an amazing voice?” Kyungsoo commented as the two cleaned up the equipment after a long day of performing.

    “Hey! I play soccer pretty well too! You just haven’t seen me play,” he laughs, “You might think I’m lying, but God blessed me with too many skills. It’s so unfair for everyone else, I know.”

    “Whatever you say, Youngjae,” he laughed as he rolled his eyes, “I’d love to see you play one day though. Invite me to one of your games!”

    “Hmm, sure! I’ll let you know,” he grins.

Once they finished cleaning up, Youngjae sent his regards before heading back home. He checked his phone and there was a simple, “ah okay,” from Jaebum, knowing there wasn’t more because they still were not talking much. As they were still dating, they still updated each other on their whereabouts. By the time Youngjae got back home, there was cold food waiting for him at the dining table that he quickly ate. Then, he finished some assignments and headed to bed. This was his routine that Jaebum knew nothing about, his own secret.

There was nothing wrong with telling Jaebum, of course. He just felt like Jaebum would overreact and nag him to use the time to work on his responsibilities, soccer and ASB. It was already enough that Jaebum nagged him to not study so much and practice more instead. He wasn’t like Jaebum where he could dedicate his whole life to his sport. He wanted to experience more than that and his boyfriend didn’t understand that. Youngjae wasn’t even sure if Jaebum even heard him sing before and he was fine with keeping it that way for now.


 

Without fencing, Jaebum believed he wouldn’t be the person that he was today. He spent almost every waking minute practicing and striving to get better. He not only felt the want to become better, but also the need to get better. This dream of his started with his brother, Jaehyun.

Jaehyun was several years older than Jaebum and he was the one that Jaebum looked up to the most. His parents would always boast about how amazing his brother was and praise him a million times. Every time that Jaebum was a witness to his parents’ love for Jaehyun, his eyes would sparkle and he knew he wanted to be just like his older brother.

Jaebum watched his brother fence a couple of times and loved it. He fell in love with how the sound of metal clashing and all of the movement to avoid the touch of the blade. It was also amazing how Jaehyun was practically undefeated and his skill showed through his performance. Jaebum wanted to be that. He wanted to be a phenomenal fencer just like him.  

    “Hyungie! What time is your match? I want to come!” Jaebum asked the night before, he was only nine at the time.

    “It’s during the time you have class, Jae,” the elder ruffled his younger bro’s hair, “if I make finals though, I think you and mom might be able to make it to my last match if you hurry. So don’t get in trouble today so you can leave as soon a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter