Chapter Eight

Leap Day

Kim Kyungmi

"Kyungmi, wake up!" 

"Rise and shine, princess!"

"C'mon, the rest are already getting ready, Kyungmi!" 

I felt something hit my head. 

"Kyungmi-ah!" 

I opened my eyes that were shut tightly. 

"Huh?" I asked with a raspy voice. I heard deep laughter. 

"Finally, you're awake." My vision cleared and saw I was looking at Seungcheol. I gasped. 

"What's going on?" I asked, now sitting up. I looked over at my clock. 7 AM. I scoffed. "It's not even 8, I'm not late to breakfast." I then realized what was going on. It had been three days since the conversation about training. The injured members had come back yesterday feeling sore and tired, but some of them could still train. 

"First day of training, don't want to be late. We have to eat breakfast early so we won't barf during our training." Seungcheol stood. "Well, now that you're up, we'll be waiting in the same place every morning." He turned to go walk out the door, but I wanted to talk more.

"Wait!" I called out. Seungcheol stopped and turned while smiling. I gulped. "I'm sorry. For everything, for putting you guys in danger. It's all my fault why we have to train, why we have to fear. You guys have probably been living a peaceful lifestyle before I came. Not only did I put your guys' lives in danger, but all of Htrae. I'm sorry." I apologized, choking up. Seungcheol turned back to my bed and sat on the side. He gave me a grim grin.

"Oh, Kyungmi. You don't have to apologize, ever. It's not your fault, never will be. You were taken here for a reason, maybe for the better, maybe for the worse, but it was never your choice. All of this is out of your hands, and out of mine too. The best we can do now is to prepare for whatever these enemies of ours will throw at us." He spoke with such a calming voice that I just had to believe him. It took a bit of the burden off of my shoulders, but not even close to all of it. I sighed, throwing off the covers. 

"The boys don't want to train. They all hate me. They think it's all my fault." I blamed. I knew it was childish to say, but I was just so frustrated. One person tells me that it's not my fault, but the majority doubt me. What am I supposed to believe? Seungcheol nodded and stood pacing back and forth.

"I know what they think. But that's only what the think. They don't know anything. Plus, the ones who got back don't believe that. They fought for you, Kyungmi. We believe you have to be safe. The boys will later understand that we need to stand together." I nodded. Seungcheol stopped moving. "Now c'mon, we have a long day ahead of us." He smiled and left. 

I groaned. Gross, training. 

I walked downstairs in my gray sweatpants that fit snugly,, but was stretchy enough for me to move. I threw on a gray sleeveless too. This was now my training clothes, and I had to wear it to most of my training. I walked downstairs to the dining hall. I ignored the glares from most of the boys and piled bacon on my plate. I wasn't in the mood to eat anything else so I grabbed a cold cup of apple juice and sat at the table. 

They were all shooting daggers at me in their gray clothes. I felt slightly uncomfortable eating my food while people were watching me, especially people who were staring intensely at me. I didn't even realize I plopped down next to Jeon Jungkook. I turned to him. His cheek had a cut on it and his arms were bare, showing a few bruises on his right arm. His knuckles were cut and he still looked in pain.

"Like what you see?" I met eyes with Jungkook who was smirking at me. I scoffed, I would have blushed if he wasn't in pain. 

"Are you still hurt?" I asked while plucking up the courage to bite my bacon. It was his turn to scoff.

"I'm fine. I'm training with you all today, aren't I? And I'm probably the most injured one, so don't worry about the others." The whole table was watching our interactions. 

"We wouldn't be training today if Kyungmi wasn't here." Seungkwan mumbled. Hansol nudged him on the shoulder and Seungkwan ignored him, glaring straight at me. Some of the boys agreed with him, other's looked away, and only a few were ok with me. 

"That's true, Seungkwan. Maybe you should thank her." Everyone whipped their heads to who spoke. My eyes widened when I realized Mingyu was talking. I didn't think his voice could sound spiteful. 

"You seem to be defending her a lot. Also noticed you sneak into her bedroom occasionally, Mingyu." Minghao spoke. These two argued a lot, but I was worried. 

"Yeah, the only thing she's done while coming here is Mingyu." Chuckles broke out from Yoongi's comment. I turned red at the comment and so did Mingyu. Yoongi smirked, directly staring at my eyes. I wanted to curl up into a ball and run away.

"Hyung, come on, don't say those things." I was surprised at who spoke. Yoongi turned his head to Taehyung. 

"What? You're defending her? Really? We all agreed she was the one who did this, ya know, except Hoseok." Yoongi glared at Hoseok who bent his head down. 

"I'm not defended her. But I'm not hating her either. We know how it is to be thrown into this, to have left our places on this Earth. None of it was our choice, and it's most definitely not hers." Taehyung said without a smile. He bit his muffin and left Yoongi in a sour mood. 

Seungcheol, Jin, and Namjoon finally came back to the table. 

"Hey, so, how are all of you?" Namjoon asked cheerfully. This kid has no idea what conversation just went on. I glanced over at Mingyu who's face was still a light shade of red that matched mine. 

"Nothing, just welcoming Kyungmi, am I right?" Jungkook lied. I glared at him. He gave me one of his cold smiles. 

"Oh, is that true, Kyungmi?" Jin asked happily, thinking that these guys are the sweetest kids ever. I scoffed as the boys who just offended me just gave me a face that said 'go ahead, I dare you to say it.' 

"Nope, I'll tell you later in my room because apparently all I do is guys in there." I couldn't help what I said, but it was done. The boys shifted uncomfortably. I glared straight at Yoongi who gave me a shaky look which translated to a fake face of confidence; fear. I smirked. 

"Um, what?" Seungcheol asked, who was just in my bedroom. I shrugged. I glanced over at Mingyu, who gave me a look of thanks. 

"Nevermind, let's train. I'm tired of spending time with these s." I stood, from my seat and stuffed the remainders of the bacon in my mouth and downed my juice. For some reason, the boys stood in my lead and dumped their plates away. We got in cars and I sat next to Mingyu in the passenger, he drove. I gave him a small smile. He smiled back, showing his cute smile. 

"I never knew you could be so vulgar, Kyungmi." He joked. I laughed.

"I'm not usually vulgar so to speak, but more like I'm bad at hiding my true emotions." We laughed. 

"Yeah, yeah, shut up love birds." Minghao spoke. I glared at him. I was glad that Mingyu sped to the destination. 

The boys hopped out of the cars while I wobbled out. Mingyu rushed to my side and helped me walk. I knew he was laughing at me.

"Shut up, I'm still getting used to this." I defended myself. We met up with the other cars as the leaders led the way. I gasped at the sight in front of all of us. The 21 of us had the same reaction.

The training arena was huge. It looked like a normal giant building on the outside, but as we entered, the whole thing got wider. Doors to rooms were wide open and showed instructors who were already waiting for us. I furrowed my eyebrows together as I wondered how they prepared this. I made eye contact with some of the instructors who gave me a welcoming smile. Some gave me cold stares. I gulped, assuming that they knew who I was and they they could kill me if they wanted. 

Namjoon, who was leading the pack, stopped abruptly. We all stopped. 

"So, before we get too overwhelmed. There's some things I have to explain to you. First of all, this is where you all will be training. We will be training every day in preparation for a war to come. We will train hard to prepare what ever comes at us next. Some of us have already trained in our free time, that is why we stayed back to fight in the first attack. Second, Htrae officials have already heard of the news. The others at this arena are volunteers and others in our military preparing to fight. It was a big decision for us to train as well, but since the threat is coming directly to us, we have no choice." I saw glances in my direction, but I stood straighter and accepted them. 

"We will split into groups of three. Your leader will be Seungcheol, Jungkook, or Jun who are skilled in fighting." The three stepped forward. Suddenly, a women wearing tight black clothing stepped forward. Her hair was a bright blue and blonde color that was tied into a ponytail.

"Hello. I am Instructor Hyoyeon. I am to introduce to you about the test you will be momentarily started. 

"The teams will be determined on your skill test, starting as we walk into the training room." I froze. Wait, what? A test? Like a freaking pop quiz, are you kidding me? I started to panic. I couldn't fight. I then thought back to three days ago. The butterflies, the sign. I'm meant to do this. I'm meant to fight. I took a deep breath. "You have no need to worry. The test will be fairly easy on your skill set. You will just fight one on one with one of the instructors here. " She smiled. "As you wait, you will sit in the seats outside of the room. We will call your names when it is your turn to test. Good luck to all." Namjoon, Seungcheol and Jin nodded to her as she stepped away into the room. 

All of us did as we were told and sat in the chairs outside. I looked around and realized Seungcheol, Jungkook, and Jun didn't have to test. I frowned, but realized that was a given. 

"First test: Jeon Wonwoo." Wonwoo sighed and stood as we all cheered for him. He smiled nervously and walked in. The rest of us sat alone with no instructors outside with us. 

"This whole thing is crazy, why not just give us guns and teach us to shoot?" Yoongi said bitterly.

"Why? Afraid to get hurt?" Jimin smiled. I sighed. The smile reminded me so much of Bin's. I choked back the tears. 

"Yeah right. The only person who should get hurt here is Kyungmi. I say we just give her up, all they want is her." Yoongi added with scowl. 

"Hey, that's crazy. They want all of us." Joshua spoke softly. I hadn't heard Joshua talk before, but his voice was so soothing and kind that even Yoongi couldn't argue, except people from his group did.

"No they don't. When we were being attacked, they seemed to flee when they realized Kyungmi was no where to be found. They want her and only her. I agree with Yoongi, let's give her up." Jeonghan stated. 

"That's bull, and you know it, Jeonghan." Mingyu growled. 

"Is it really bull? We give her up and it's all over. She's gone, we can continue with our normal lives. Easy as pie." Minghao glared at Mingyu. They held their stare for a while before I had to say something. These boy know no manners, they talk about me like I'm not even here. I cleared my throat. 

"I know many of you do not like me. I know others are suspicious of who I am. But before you treat me like some object you can throw away, you're wrong. I did not come here on my own accord, before coming to Htrae, I was a normal girl with a best friend who treated me like every thing. Did you forget that? That I had someone who cared for me, yet you still talk about me like I'm trash you can discard whenever. I was someone's everything and you all are too. Stop acting like ing children. Our teamwork is key, and if it's not, then we're all dead." My harsh words silenced everyone. Only sighs and nervous breathing filled the air. 

"Jeon Wonwoo. Team Jun."

"You're wrong, Kyungmi. We give you up and we stay alive. We had a happy life and then you came here and started questioning every thing. You destroyed our peaceful lives." Jimin spoke softly. I stood a little straight and looked him straight in the eyes. 

"Peaceful lives? You mean ignorant. Is that really living? Admit it, I'm the closest thing you all have to discovering why we're here. you just don't want to admit it." Jimin's eyes widened while Yoongi and Taehyung avoided my gaze. 

"Second test: Min Yoongi." 

Soon, most of the names were called, I was the last to be called. 

"Twenty first test: Kim Kyungmi." I calmed my nerves and walked into the room. It was pitch black for a moment, but the sensors activated and a dim light lit the room. Not much of an improvement. The air was cool and the walls were gray, like our clothes. I shivered at the AC going, even though I would be thankful for it once we started to fight. I was unsure what to do. 

I felt a cool gust of air whip past me, I then saw a arm fly at my face. I screamed and covered my face. 

"Reflexes: 5/10." 5 out of 10? My face didn't get busted. The fighter backed away and I studied her face. She had long black and brown hair with distinct features. I stared at her longer. 

"Wow, you look like-"

"Wonwoo? Yes, he's my brother." I gasped. Wow, they look a lot alike. Some things clicked. This is why Wonwoo was slightly uncomfortable talking about his sister, she was an instructor, a fighter. She was supposed to be undercover at all times, at least I assumed. Her intense stare did not waver at my sudden realization. She pushed me back and I stumbled. 

"Uh, are we supposed to fight?" I asked dumbly.

"Yes, give it your all." She came at me with a flying fist that almost hit my face if I didn't fall to the ground. She swung her leg next which I caught and pushed it back, making her fall to her . I kinda just stared at her. She scoffed. "What the hell was that?" I stared at her. 

"Uh, what do you mean?" Her stare was now confused.

"You just stared at me when I was on the ground. You didn't do anything." She commented. 

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Kick you on the ground? That's lame. Plus, I don't want to hurt you." She scoffed at my words. 

"You keep doing that and that's why all the boys make fun of you." She swung again, this time faster, connecting her fist on my arm. I groaned at the pain. I didn't realize she kicked my side, slamming me into the ground. She tried to kick me again, but once again, I caught her leg fast enough and pulled her down. She let out a small scream of pain when I threw her to the ground harder. 

"What the hell am I supposed to do? What do I have to do for the test to be over?" I questioned feeling frustrated. She gave me a small smile. 

"To make your opponent unable to move or call for mercy." She smirked as I gasped and she tackled me from the front. That's why I saw none of the boys walk out again. They were probably being treated or the other instructors were being treated. I groaned from impact of the floor, even though it was matted down. She was on top of me, trying to smash her fist into my fist. I rolled under her, out of her killer grasp and kicked her off. She hopped to her feet right away and started to throw punches again. I realized I couldn't just not hurt her anymore, either I give up or fight her. I took a breath and knew what I had to do. 

"Mercy." I spoke clearly. She froze as her fist was right in front of my face. She looked shocked and stumbled away. 

"What?" She asked again. 

"I called for mercy. I give up." She looked around, like she was looking for help. 

"You give up? Seriously?" Someone from the intercom spoke. Other instructors walked out. 

"What the hell so we do now? None of the others gave up." I gulped. Now this is just awkward. 

"Was that not something I was supposed to do?" I asked with a smile. The others looked at me. 

"Uh, it's something that was not expected." One man said. I smiled.

"Well, as they say, to win a battle, you have to expect the unexpected. Or say the unexpected." They stared at me.

"I don't think that's a saying." Seulgi stated. 

"Well, we have to choose her team, but she barely showed us any fighting." The same instructor said. 

While all the instructors were arguing along with the team leaders were were training us came out. I noticed someone who was more intimidating walk out. 

"Instructor Jung Yunho." The instructors stopped and bowed to him. I assumed he was the head man in charge. 

"What are you here for?" Seulgi asked. He took a long look at me with disgust. Damn, I'm getting a lot of those nowadays.

"I'm here to say that Kim Kyungmi is not allowed at our training center." Seungcheol, Namjoon, and Jin gasped. 

"What? Instructor Yunho, sir, please. She has to be able to train. She's the one that they're after. She needs to be ready." Seungcheol argued. Instructor Yunho shook his head. 

"In a state of war, we do not accept those who just give up on the battle field." He looked into my eyes. "You are a disgrace to this world! First you try and mess it up and I get a call saying that all of my soldiers have to come and train here. With a bunch of kids who think they can fight. You should come back from where you came from." He spoke harshly. Hearing these words from him meant nothing to me. I grew angry at his words instead. 

"You think I want to be here?" I laughed hysterically while the others were shaking their heads. "Trust me, if I had a choice, I would be long gone from Htrae forever, but hey, look at this, I don't have a choice! Therefore, I'm stuck on this ing planet with a bunch of stupid asses who think they're so much better than me!" Instructor Yunho lashed out at me. I quickly rolled out of the way. I noticed no one tried to stop him, knowing they couldn't. I growled. He took a swing, but I quickly ducked out of the way. 

"Coward! You can't fight me and you do not even try!" Instructor Yunho yelled out. I grunted as he got me in the side. The hit was way stronger than Seulgi ever did. He towered over me and was about to make a final hit until I kicked him in his groin. 

"Take that you idiot!" I shouted. 

"Stop, Kyungmi!" Seungcheol yelled, holding me back. One instructor stepped in front of Yunho. 

"Stop, Yunho. You are better than this. She's just an innocent girl. She doesn't know anything." I felt anger bubble inside of me. I knew I should be thankful that this guy stopped Yunho from beating the out of me, but I was too angry to control myself. 

"I don't know anything? And do you think you know every single thing?" I laughed bitterly. "You know absolutely nothing. And if you know more than you've been lying to all of us all along." They all froze and I knew I was right. I chuckled. "So you've all been hiding the truth, am I right? Let me get this straight, you think you have every thing under control but you have no idea what these people are capable of." I looked straight into Jung Yunho's eyes that was anger with an underlying tone of fear. "I can tell that you're afraid of me. And I have no idea why but you know something I don't, but dammit, one day I will." He opened his mouth, about to say some remark. "Don't speak. I'm right, aren't I? I'm weak, even I know that. I have no idea why you tried to attack me, but I know that I'm somehow I threat to you and this world. So be ing prepared." 

I left the room with a dramatic exit. I patted an imaginary hand on my back for sticking up for myself and speaking my mind. I knew that no one stood up to this guy, seeing how everyone let the crazy man loose on me. As I made my way out onto the blue grass, I checked my injury that was a blueish, grayish color. I groaned. Gross and ouch. 

I kept walking, and walking, until I ended up somewhere I had no idea where I was. The grass was still blue here, but the clouds were bright and everyone was inside. I rolled my eyes and sat on the ground.

I shivered. Something just gave me the creeps about Yunho. The way he stared at me seemed like her really wanted to hurt me, kill me, or capture me. There was no reason for him to lash out at me since I was defenseless. I couldn't fight, but he full on fought with me. I shook my head. 

"I guess it's time to run away from all of this and figure something out."

 

 

 

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------

Woah a long chapter! YAY! I'm really content with this chapter because I wrote a lot and didn't give up halfway through it, good for me updating! :D

Comment what you all think of this chapter. I appreciate your feedback and comments! :)

You all should tell me who your favorite character is and why. That way I will know who really reads these long authors' notes. XD