Chapter Seven

Leap Day

Kim Kyungmi

I laid in my bed, staring up at the blank ceiling. I watched the ceiling fan spin around and around due to the hot weather. I closed my eyes and thought of the actions that were done yesterday afternoon. I thought everyone is now safe, but a few of the guys were still at the hospital, thankfully their wounds weren't fatal, but they still hurt. 

What were those guys even doing there? Why did they want me in particular? 

I thought how Jungkook immediately pushed me out of the way. 

Why did Jungkook save me, even getting hurt in the process? 

I growled at the thought of Jungkook blaming me for his injuries. Somehow the face Jungkook showed to me when he told me to run flashed before my eyes. I sighed.

This is all my fault, nothing like this ever happened before I came, Jungkook was right, I don't deserve to be here. 

Before I could go too much into thought, I heard two knocks at the door. 

"Come in." I spoke with a rough voice. I hadn't spoken since yesterday, I didn't trust myself. The door opened and there stood a tall, but slightly injured Mingyu. He smiled.

"Hey." He calmly walked over to my bed, sitting down. I sat up immediately.

"Hi." The only noise in this room has been my soft breathing and the ceiling fan spiraling. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked. I scoffed at the vague question.

"I'm feeling great, everyone just got totally beat up and attacked from some men who wanted to attack me and the only thing I could do was sit in a little store and hide. Feels awesome." I couldn't hide my sarcastic tone when I was stressed. I expected him to run from me and get away from the girl who looks down upon herself, but to my surprise, he smiled and stayed.

"I expected that response. But I meant physically." I blushed at my outburst and turned to look to the side.

"My body is fine, it's the others I'm worried about." I admit. He nodded with a face I could not read. 

"Do you remember the first conversation we had together?" He questioned. I nodded quickly, how could I forget? 

"Yeah, I do."

"Well, I want you to remember that conversation very clearly. I told you that I knew you were different and that I had faith that you would change us for the better. I need you to remember this. Despite the terrible things that happened yesterday, we agreed that we were not safe, including you." My eyes widened. Not safe? "It will not be the last time these guys attack, so the guys told me to inform you that we need to train." I jumped up at the words.

"Train? Train for what?" I asked with a slight jump in my voice. I paced through the floors, ignoring the thumping in my head. I heard him sigh and shift in the bed, typical nervous body language.

"I don't know Kyungmi, but we're expecting..."He trailed off. I grew angry. 

"Expecting what? What am I training for?" I felt my anger overpower my usual self. Mingyu was now avoiding my eyes. He gulped.

"The boys are expecting a war." His words shot through my heart like a bullet and like it whizzed past me. I felt the urge to laugh, but it wouldn't come through. 

"War? Against who?" I questioned. He stood. 

"I think it's best if you follow me." He led me out of my room that I had been stuck in for a day now. He led me downstairs to where all the boys were talking. I noticed that Seungcheol, Jungkook, and most of the boys from Htrae were gone. All of Jungkook's friends besides Hoseok were still here. I frowned thinking about how Hoseok chose to fight too. 

"You got the girl out of her room?" Yoongi mocked. I raised a brow.

"I don't remember anyone trying to get me out." I snapped. The atmosphere shifted due to my outburst. Namjoon cleared his throat. 

"Well, it's great that Kyungmi is here since most of the problems involve her, no offense." I shrugged and let him continue. 

"While out encounter yesterday, we've pieced a few clues together," Jin said. "This was their first encounter with us and they seemed to target just Kyungmi for some odd reason. I expect they know some more information than we do. And when I say some, I mean a lot more." We all nodded while I shifted uncomfortably. The idea of someone targeting me was scary, terrifying. Living in fear was not my ideal lifestyle. 

"That does not mean we should be afraid, instead we need to be prepared for anything. That's why we need to train for this. We need to prepare ourselves with all the fights to come and even the war we suspect is arriving." Jihoon spoke with confidence. His short stature was overlooked when he stood straight and spoke with such a powerful tone. He mesmerized everyone with his words and his speech. He cleared his throat and saw all glanced at Hansol who raised his hands. "Yes?" Hansol cleared his throat.

"What do they know about Kyungmi what we don't?" He asked curiously. The question was an innocent one, but it made my heart race. How could these people know more about me than myself? 

"Good question, we have no idea yet. But whatever they know is the vital reason why they want to capture her. We already know she is special being the first girl who arrived on Htrae when the rest were boys. But we don't know if she's special because she's the girl or that she's the only girl because she's special, make sense?" Namjoon explained. Hansol nodded, but everyone looked even more confused. Somehow I understood and started to piece things for myself too. 

"When is this war going to come? How many people are we expecting?" I remembered his name was Chan. He was the youngest here, along with me.

"We don't know that answer either, but we have to expect the worst and the most powerful." Jihoon answered, kind of. 

"So we don't know anything, is that what you're telling us? The only thing we do know is that this Kyungmi girl is a threat to our safety and well-being? How the hell does that make sense of us keeping her here?" Yoongi argued. I felt my confidence sizzle away when he said those words.

"Yoongi, you need to understand that it was not her choice to come here in the first place. And due to these threats, we have to become closer, not fade apart of else we'll all fall apart. Understand? Now that we have people coming after us, we need to protect each other and stay together. Teamwork is key here, ok?" Everyone nodded at Namjoon's words. I saw someone else raise a hand.

"When do we start training?" Seungkwan asked. By his face, I could tell he did not want to train, at all. 

"When all our boys are released from the hospital. We do not know when that will be exactly, but probably in two days or so." Jin explained. He nodded. Two days, two days to prepare for fighting. I was not made for fighting. 

"Meeting dismissed, you can all go rest, you're going to need it. When we start training, you're going to be physically and mentally drained. Start preparing yourselves." Jihoon stated. I noticed some of the guys shot my dirty looks while walking pass me. They mumbled words I wanted to forget as they passed me. Yoongi was the very last one to get up and leave. 

"I'd leave here if I were you, all you're doing is putting us all at risk," he whispered. He shot me a glare, making sure the words were engraved in my mind. "Don't guarantee our safety because of your problems, Kyungmi." I watched him walk up the steps. I stumbled to my bedroom after eating a muffin from the breakfast counter.

I shut the door with a slam, I dropped to the ground once the door was shut and locked. I felt tears trickle down my face. All of the information over-whelmed me and made we just want to run away like Yoongi suggested. Tears coated my clothes and wet the floor below me. I felt pathetic sitting on the ground, crying about my own worries. I pitied my own sobbing noises as I cried, alone. The ceiling fan drowned out most of my groans and pathetic whimpers of sadness. 

I thought of the pain and fear I caused every one to have. Yoongi is right, everyone was safe before I came along and made dangerous men try and kill us, specifically me. All I could do was hide in a store and hear the screams of innocent people and battle cries of my fellow people living on Htrae. I cried for Jungkook and Seungcheol who did the most to protect me. 

My crying died down when I thought about apologizing to them and thanking them for sacrificing themselves for me. 

But my crying picked up at realizing I could do nothing to protect them. I was a weak girl who could do nothing and could protect no one. I couldn't protect these guys from getting hurt and I couldn't protect Bin from losing his best friend. 

I then thought of Bin. The tears fell harder from my eyes. the face he made when he wrapped his arms around me, trying to shield me from the strange butterflies. 

"Bin." I choked back a sob. "I need you here, you would know what to do. You could explain to me all of your conspiracy theories and I would deny them and say that if you can't see them then they aren't true. Just please, come back, I need you with me." I spilled my thoughts to no one in particular, I just need to say them. 

Then the unimaginable happened. 

I saw something moving from outside my bedroom window. I saw butterflies warming and flying around my window. 

I gasped and tried to laugh, but it came out as choked back crying. The butterflies flew around in circles like the night Htrae took me as its own. The night where I last saw Bin. 

Is this is a sign?

If it was any other time before I arrived in Htrae, I would saw it was just a coincidence. But I knew it was sign to fight back, I knew this was a sign Bin would want me to be strong.

So strong I will be. 

Strong for you Bin.

I will be the strongest person I know. 

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What even is this chapter? I have no idea, do not ask. It's like the size of an ant.

Summer is finally here! Yay! No more school and stress! YAY! 

I wanted to get out knew updates faster, but I've been having some serious writers block and laziness issues. But I will try and get updates even faster than before! :D

See you all next time!