Chapter One

Leap Day

 

Kim Kyungmi P.O.V.

"Wake up, Kyungmi! Wake up!" I squinted my eyes open, wondering who ruined my perfect dream at 7 AM on a Monday. 

"Huh?" I groggily spoke, fixing my long black hair. 

"Don't tell me you forgot, Kyungmi!" Wait, I recognize this voice. My eyes widened immediately and I sat up in shock. 

"Bin? What are you doing at my house?" I asked, very much awake, and mostly confused. Bin smiled widely, showing his perfect eye smile that I wanted to have. Bin rarely came to my house in the mornings, mostly because he hated waking up early, but also it seemed as he was growing distant, being all good-looking and all. I felt like I was losing my best friend to a bunch of rowdy boys, but this was a surprise. His laughter snapped me out of my thoughts. 

"Kyungmi! How could I not come to your house when your birthday is every 4 years, silly?" He exclaimed while holding a bowl of clam chowder in his hands. I noted his still messy hair and my family standing in the doorway, well, my mom and dad, my brother seemed to be half in the doorway and half down the stairs. 

"Pft! We celebrate her birthday every year, it's nothin' special," My idiot older brother said. I glared at him. 

"Shut up!" I shouted with a face of anger. I saw him smugly smile.

"Don't talk to me like that! You're only 4 years old! Haha!" He exclaimed while pointing and laughing at me. I felt Bin poke me on the shoulder.

"Don't listen to him, just eat your clam chowder that I woke up so early to make. I had to wake you up early because this event only comes once every 4 years, I want to spend as much time on this day with you as I can!" Bin declared while handing me my bowl of clam chowder. I noted how the bowl was a medium size, not too big, not abnormally small. I smiled, I can't believe he remembered I didn't like having breakfast in the mornings, but still made it for me on my birthday. 

"Thanks, Bin," I thanked while eating my chowder. "Mmm, it tastes good, even though from a can." I winked at him while grinning. He blushed mildly, something I missed seeing while we were hanging out 24/7. 

"Aww, happy birthday, hun, we'll be downstairs if you need us," My mom and sad said while making their way downstairs. Bin stayed in the room with me while my brother, Hanbin, just strolled down the stairs, still bitter. Bin sat carefully on my bed while it slightly creaked at the weight. 

"So, feeling different when you're 4 years old?" He joked while I playfully hit him on the shoulder. 

"No, I feel different being 16 years old," I emphasized my age, making him realize I was no 4 years old. He just chuckled while adjusting his glasses that I always thought fit his face more than his contacts. He sighed, signaling that something was wrong, then I realized I knew what he was down about.

"Hey, you don't believe those rumors about how people go missing every February 29th," I stated while setting down my finished bowl of chowder. He looked to the opposite side of me, something I knew he did when he was lying. I scoffed. "You believe in those rumors, don't you?" I questioned with my arms crossed, pulling down my shirt. Usually, I would be uncomfortable wearing my favorite Mickey Mouse pajamas, but with Bin, I never minded being myself. 

"Kyungmi, you know, it's not that hard to believe. There are reports that go out every February 29th that someone goes missing today!" Bin claimed while crossing his arms. I ruffled my long hair and tied it into a bun.

"Bin, people go missing every single day, just because this leap day happens every 4 years, people think something's up, but it's just people spreading gossip and rumors, don't believe them," I scolded while hopping off my bed and trying to find my uniform. I knew I was always that one kid in class when everyone agreed on A, I would say B. But, it seemed like everyone nowadays believed in these rumors and superstitions that can never be proven. "I need facts to prove this," I stated clearly while finding my black and red uniform in the depths of my closet. 

"Really, Kyungmi? You don't need facts to prove everything, have some...imagination!" He exclaimed while standing. He grabbed his spare uniform he kept at my house, that he hasn't used in a long time due to the fact of him having other friends to hang out with. 

"Imagination? I'm sorry I'm not going crazy," I said while hopping into the bathroom and brushing my teeth. He scoffed.

"Ok, I'm not going to argue with you on your special day that happens every FOUR years, I'm just saying, that all the people missing on February 29th have been found, and there has been a lot less missing people on the leap day. But-"

"Don't tell me you've done research on this," I spoke with a brush still in my mouth. He rolled his eyes.

"Of course I have! Anyways, the people that have gone missing, and stayed missing were not eve young children, but always the age 16 and older. Don't you think that's weird? Plus, the people who have been reported to be gone missing, their family and friends have stated that the person did not even go anywhere suspicious on that day but simply staying in their room the whole day or taking out the trash or going to school with lots of people around etc," Bin stated while going on and on about these facts. By the time he was done, I was already done brushing my teeth and starting to change into my uniform.

"Bin, ok, these people missing may have snuck about of their houses or something when their families didn't know, I mean, if they weren't younger children, they must have been rebellious or living alone," I stated my view. Somehow, these arguments were what made Bin and I best friends. We've known each other ever since elementary school. He was the believer while I was a pessimist. We were quite the opposites, yet very similar in odd ways. I slipped on the black skirt our school required us to wear with a button down white shirt. I pulled my blazer over my shirt and tied the tie I liked to have. I combed down my hair, just so it wouldn't get caught in anything I walked by.

"Mi," He pouted while staring at me.

"Binnie," I pouted right back. He chuckled and stood while I noticed he somehow got changed into his uniform while I changed into mine. His face then turned serious while he held my hands. "Bin-"

"Ok, Kyungmi, I don't mean to scare you, but all the people that went missing had one thing in common," He spoke with a low voice. I was confused by his sudden change in character, but I stayed serious since he looked very concerned. 

"What?" I asked curiously while peering into his eyes, seeing no lie in them. 

"They-"

"Kids! You're going to be late to school if you don't get your asses down here and stop making out!" I heard my stupid brother yell. I rolled my eyes. 

"Coming!" I shouted, ignoring his last statement. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "What were you-"

"KYUNGMI!" I heard him screech. I groaned.

"UGH! Ok, just tell me later, ok, Bin?" I said while squeezing his hand gently. He nodded like an obeying puppy and followed me downstairs. I glared directly at my older brother while pulling on my shoes. 

"What's with the face?" He asked with a cracker in his mouth. I growled. 

"Shut up, Hanbin!" I growled. He looked away from my gaze, afraid of what I was going to do. 

"Now, now, kids, let's cherish this day, ok?" My mom said while look affectionately at my father. I felt the urge to twitch at the affection, but I decided to make this scene not as awkward as it was supposed to me.

"K, bye mom, dad," I said hurriedly before running out of the door, pulling Bin along with me. I shut the door and sighed. I then glanced up to Bin who was smiling smugly. "What's with the face?" I asked, teasingly. I admit, sometimes this kid confused me, but I was glad to have him all to myself for today. He shrugged.

"Nothing, it's just abnormally dark today, even though spring is just around the corner," He stated while pointing at the dark sky and pulling out an umbrella that he got from my porch. I frowned.

"Wow, way to point that out on my birthday," I emphasized the last word while scoffing. "Plus, it's randomly dark on some days and randomly sunny, don't just mash dark and evil into the same things," I stated while crossing my arms. He grunted.

"Still, it's a weird day, weird things could happen," He noted again from the conversation we had earlier. I rolled my eyes. 

"Ok, and we're weird people, therefore weird things happen to us," I glanced over at him and stopped in my tracks to make a point. He sighed at my intense gaze. "Eh, wrong," I said while imitating a buzzer. "We have weird personalities, but nothing weird has happened to us," I commented while continuing my walk. I saw Bin cross his arms in disbelief. 

"Fine, believe whatever you want to believe and I'll believe whatever I want to believe," He stated maturely while walking ahead of me, leaving me to run next to him to not get very wet by the rain.

"Fine, fine, let's just pick up the pace so we're not late," I mumbled while also picking up my pace. Then, something caught my eye. I paused in my tracks while Bin stopped also.

"Hey, what's-"

"Isn't that weird?" I asked while pointing at a flying insects. Bin squinted his eyes and adjusted his glasses. 

"Yeah, yeah it is," He said while taking a couple steps forward. I stood frozen in my tracks.

"Don't butterflies usually come out only when it is sunny?" I asked, with my heart picking up. I knew that is was only logically for butterflies to only come out when it is sunny, not when it is dark and pouring down rain. Stop it, Kyungmi. You don't believe in these weird things. Let's just walk on and forget about it. Butterflies can come out whenever they want to. 

"I told you something was just off and weird today..." Bin trailed off with his words while looking slightly panicked. 

"Bin, what are you-" He cut me off while grabbing one of my hands and looking me straight in the eye. I felt my heart rate increase, even I felt something wrong in this moment, and I don't even know why. It's probably just his freaked-out-ness that's making me worried. We're best friends, it's probably contagious or something."Bin-"

"Ok, Kyungmi, just listen to me. You know that thing that everyone had in common while going missing today?" He asked me, knowing I wouldn't know the answer. I could barely focus with my heart pounding loudly. Suddenly, I couldn't even hear the pouring rain that seemed to be making the umbrella heavier and heavier. Literally, I just need to calm down, stop freaking out.

"What?" I whispered almost inaudible. He gulped while my I heard my heart stop pounding when he opened his mouth.

"They all had the same birthdays; February 29th." The rain started pouring down harder and I grew scared at the rain. I winced at the loud wind and I felt Bin pull me closer. He grabbed my hand and interlocked our fingers. "Just whatever you do, Kyungmi, do not let go of me, ok?" He stated harshly and loudly over the rain. I gulped and nodded. Even though a majority of me wanted to shout at him for being crazy and making me scared, and that I would have been perfectly fine if he hadn't put all these rumors in my mind from the first time we met and I told him about my birthday. I then felt him shake me. "Kyungmi, look." I flashed open my eyes that I didn't even know that were harshly shut.

I gasped. A swarm of butterflies were now in a line in front of us. 

"Kyungmi, look at their color," Bin whispered while clutching my hand harder. I examined their color more clearly and realized that this was a type of butterfly I had never seen or heard of. They looked unnatural with their bright mint green wings and purple body. Not even a hint of black was on them with their neon blue bodies. I even saw hints of red sparkles on their wings. None of this makes sense, none of this has any logic to it. I just can't even believe this. Maybe Bin was right all along. 

The butterflies then changed their course and circled around us, never making contact with our skin though. I gulped and I knew I was scared now. 

"Binnie," I whined, something even though I did often, I never meant my fear as much as I did now. 

"Mi, just like I said, don't let go of my hand, if anything happens to you, I will never forgive myself," Bin stated clearly into my ear. We stood in fear while watching the oddly color butterflies swarm us. Then, in a moment, I saw a flash of light, and then I fell into darkness.

 

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

WOO! First chapter up! I know, I know, I shouldn't be uploading new stories when I just have so many stories to take care of, but I'm not waiting another four years to release this story! ;)

I just can't wait to go into an alternate universe! It's going to be so interesting to write! :D

I hope you all liked it and continue this journey with me! :)