Chapter | Three

Indomitable

 

 

Yixing paced back and forth outside of Jongdae's hut, with Suho watching him. The hunter had stopped by to drop off a few slices of meat from the game they had caught that afternoon, and had run into a pacing Yixing. He had decided to keep the medic some company, though he was beginning to regret it. Dinner would be starting soon, and his position during pack dinners was near the front, close to the Head Alpha. He couldn't be late.

"This is the third Sunset, and I have yet to catch Jongdae at home," Yixing repeated for the fourth time.

Suho rolled his eyes, "I'm sure he is not interested in meeting with you. If he was, he would have made it easier to find him."

"I convinced the Head Alpha to give him a chance." Now that caught Suho's attention. Jongdae as the Head Alpha's mate? It actually wasn't a half bad idea.

"Well," Suho sighed. "I haven't seen him trying to impress her. If anything, all he is doing is working hard like usual. According to Sehun, he brought in six baskets of ripe fruit, seven jars of berries, and four jugs of water. On top of that, he repaired three huts, and carved some new toys for the pups. All by himself, too."

"Isn't that excessive?" the medic asked, eyebrows raised high in shock.

"Sehun assured me it was normal, but I still brought him some extra meat, cause that sounds exhausting."

"It's normal," Jongdae announced as he rounded the corner of his hut, hair wet from the bath he was taking.

Suho and Yixing both turned to greet the male, not expecting him to just appear from where ever he came.

"And it's exhausting," he continued, smirking at both men. "Thank you, Suho."

The lead hunter only nodded his head before practically taking off, "Got dinner to get to!"

Yixing looked at Jongdae, who was making a point not to look at him.

"You've been avoiding me?" The medic walked closer to Jongdae, looking him in his face and noting the bashful shade making its way over his tanned skin.

"Not on purpose," he muttered. "I do need to talk to you, I just, I don't know how."

"Have you been putting yourself in the line of our Head Alpha?" Yixing asked instead, getting straight to the point.

He knew that Jongdae was intimidated by the woman. After having her preside over the Ederra tribe now for thirty suns, he could thoroughly say that she wasn't someone to be trifled with. She was intelligent, tenacious, and protective. Whenever her own guards playfully challenged her, though it was a game, she always managed to win without a doubt.

And she was beautiful, something he doubted evaded Jongdae's attention. Even if her physical attributes were not enough to make Jongdae completely infatuated, that didn't stop her from being extremely attractive. And if the opportunity was afforded to Yixing, he would have actively tried for her attention. Much like, and he hated to admit it, some of the other contenders were actively vying for the Head Alpha's attention. Fights were even breaking out, and she wasn't paying them any mind.

Jongdae had a beautiful opening, she said she would keep an eye on him, but was the Omega taking advantage of it?

"I've been working," came Jongdae's small answer. "The Alpha's of the pack don't come near the gatherers, since they are lower ranked. So I haven't seen her in a few suns."

"Everyone knows you were in line to offer yourself to the Head Alpha. And now you're not showing up for any of the competitions they are putting on to win her over. They think you are not a threat."

"Then let them," the Omega answered quickly, feeling the irritation of this conversation grow. "I'm not going to parade around her, showing off the fluff of my tail or the gleam of my teeth, just to have anyone ranked higher than me, command me to leave. If they were to do that, I'd have no choice but to listen or suffer even more embarrassing consequences."

"Do you also want her to think that as well? That you're not a contender, and you're weak?" Jongdae could be as wrapped up in his work as he liked. He could bend himself over backwards trying to please a pack that didn't acknowledge him. He could never try to increase his ranking if he wanted too, but the least he could do, was let Yixing know. The older male just wanted his friend to be restored to a position worthy of his hard work.

Jongdae didn't give an answer, instead he shuffled his feet around the grass, stalling for time. He was glad that Yixing cared so much about him. He was a good friend, but presenting himself to the Head Alpha in front of the pack, was an embarrassment he was looking to avoid. So he continued on with his daily work while the others pranced around in front of her.

"I, too, need to leave for dinner," Yixing sighed. "Will you join us tonight? I know you are only allowed to sit in the back and eat last, but if you come, she may see you there. It's worth a shot."

Jongdae was still kicking grass, but he managed a small nod of the head, that was enough for Yixing.

~~~

Joining dinner when he was first made Omega, used to be one of the most humiliating experiences to his young mind. Not only would he be starving by the time dinner was ready, but he would have to wait until all of the higher ranks had their fill, then he'd have to wait until all of the lower ranks finished, before he was allowed to even look at the mess of bones and gristle that was left behind for him to chew on. It was why he took to eating the fruit and berries he gathered throughout the day. He even experimented with some plants, finding out which ones were edible and which were not, the hard way.

It wasn't until Suho, who had recently been made Lead Hunter back then, took pity on him and began sneaking him slices of meat, did the dinners become less and less humiliating. He would prepare his own meal at his hut, consisting of dried fruit, berries, some of the green leaves he'd pick, and his very own slices of meat. If it wasn't for Suho's generosity, Jongdae would only be a thing of bones instead of boasting the naturally healthy slender body he had.

There was no humiliation in being able to sit and wait patiently for his turn. Instead of the fidgeting and sometimes begging, that used to happen when he felt like he would never be allowed to eat.

Even now, as he sat in the back with the eyes of lower pack members on him, whispering to each other, there wasn't that pathetic burn of hopelessness that used to plague him. He was used to his pack members either whispering about him, or ignoring him all together.

That night it seemed they would whisper, as a few Alpha's and Beta's finally noted his arrival towards the front of the seating arrangement.

"Your Omega is here," Biga jokingly whispered into the ear of Ji'Heiv. Her initial reaction was to slap him and make known he wasn't her Omega, but that wouldn't be true, because he very much was her Omega. So she bit back her retort, and the frustrated growl that wanted to leave her upon her realization.

Some where, deep inside of herself, she was excited that he made an appearance. She hadn't seen him in a few suns. As a matter of fact, the last time she had seen him, was when he was dashing back and forth from the forest with a full basket of fruit in his hand every time.

Suddenly, she stopped chewing, noting the sweet taste of the fruit in .

She couldn't just be figuring out that he was the person who climbed high in the trees for fruit? The, what did the pup, call him? Omega Leader?

Her head snapped up, trying to overlook the many heads of the pack members facing her as they continued to eat. She needed to spot the Omega, to see him, for some strange reason. Of all the members of her pack whom she studiously watched work, she never once went to see what the Omega did with his time. She assumed he didn't work, as most other Omega's in other packs were far too weak and sick to contribute to daily pack life.

She was glad that the pack sat horizontally, twelve in each row. So she had to only look pass nine sets, before her eyes found the head full of messy black hair that looked wind blown. His eyes were casted down and away from the rest of the eating members. He looked uneasy.

She focused her ears, starting to pick up on the immediate conversation, as she kept hearing the word 'Omega' thrown around too often.

"The Head Alpha hasn't paid him any attention since he most likely made a fool of himself in front of her."

"She wouldn't want a pathetic creature like him anyway. What is a wolf with no scent?"

"I think he would make a sweet mate. I would pursue him myself if that wouldn't bring my rank down," a softer voice was heard amongst the Alpha's in the front row. She spotted the Beta who said it, a young girl with small eyes.

"And he is strong," another girl answered. "Remember when the head Alpha had to command him to stay down just to end the fight between the two? I nearly lost all my respect for our Alpha then."

That comment caught the attention of a few Alpha's in the front row who turned to address the Beta female, "He wouldn't stand a chance against the Head Alpha now. Nor would he against her guards. If he can't at least be as strong as them, then why would she want him to father her pups? Or even share the same furs with her at night?"

The Beta female nearly lost all her backbone, before the small eyed girl next to her spoke up, "Have you seen him? Just because you're an Alpha, that doesn't affect your body type for the better. I'd prefer him under my furs than you and your small-,"

"Enough!" the Head Alpha rose, hearing quite too much of the petty conversation in front of her. She could feel the Omega's eyes on her frame, making her stand straighter and radiate more confidence.

She had no reason to say the words that she was about to pronounce. If anything, they would be fool words that Biga might attempt to chew her out for, later on. But the fighting for her attention, the competitions, the absurd conversations, all of it, it needed to stop.

She wasn't interested in any of the people that were in line to offer themselves to her so many suns ago. The only person that managed to intrigue her, was the Omega, and she couldn't even say that was completely in a good way. It was more a precaution for herself and her imperium that she even considered the idea of possibly mating with him.

But it was now or never, as everyone's eyes found their way to her, she cleared , "I want a private audience with the Omega Jongdae, from now on."

A quiet hush ran over the full crowd as they tried to figure out what she meant.

"I thank you all who have tried, and failed," she emphasized. "At getting my attention. But this Omega, who is generating so much conversation during dinner, seems to be more interesting than the lot of you."

Her eyes flowed over the pack members, taking in the shock stares they directed at her, "Maybe I should give him a chance? What do you say, Biga?" She looked to her second, hoping he wasn't too upset with her sudden outburst.

The man only looked at her, a small smile playing with his lips, "Why not? It would be nice to see if he is as strong as this Beta says."

"And what about you, Lau?" She asked her third. The man was already laughing, enjoying the flabbergasted faces of the audience his Head Alpha was commanding.

"I'd certainly would like to know if he can warm your furs better-,"

"Thank you, Lau," she cut him off, shaking her head at his antics. "Hiru?" She looked to her fourth. "What do you say?"

"I say I have a really nice home thanks to him," the wolf laughed. "He's done more for me than some of these Alpha's in the front row." He ended seriously, a growl forming in his throat to silence the offended Alphas.

Yixing, who was sitting at the edge of the third row, was fighting the smile that was trying to take over his face. He couldn't believe his ears, was the Head Alpha single handedly removing all challengers out of Jongdae's way? Better yet, was she now only allowing Jongdae the chance to win her over?

"Well then," the Head Alpha continued. "I think it's settled."

She took a moment to think over what she was doing, making sure as much as possible in her spur of the moment decision making, that the right choice was being made.

She finally allowed her eyes to meet the intense stare Jongdae was giving her. She sent a wave of dominance his way, just to gauge his reaction, watching as it bowed the members of the pack. She noticed when he felt it, the slight flinch was a dead giveaway. But he pushed through, eyes watering and jaw clenching as he fought the pull to submit.

Holding her head higher, she eyed the male, decision firmly made in her mind.

~~~

Lau was knocking on the door that was separating himself from Jongdae. The Head Alpha had sent him to retrieve the Omega after deliberating multiple times that morning, if she should bring him to her, or wait until he showed up on his own.

For some reason, she was under the impression that he wouldn't come on his own, citing that he was, "too headstrong".

Biga seemed to be in full support of her decision, wanting her to settle down and offer an heir as quickly as possible. He only had her best interest in mind, as they all did, knowing that her gift of bringing good will to the packs she conquered, was her own special talent. There was no other leader Lau knew, that could service a pack better than Ji'Heiv could.

With her choosing a mate, she needed someone that could be independent of her and who would be able to provide where she couldn't, while she was weighed down with pregnancy.

He wasn't sure if Jongdae was the right one for the job, but he was sure the rest of the disputing male Alpha's and Beta's were not. They were all seeking some sort of power with mating. Something they would not find by mating Ji'Heiv. He could say, at least, Jongdae was used to the lack of power, so it wouldn't be something he automatically sought out.

The door opened suddenly, revealing a haggard looking Omega. He didn't get much sleep the previous night since some of the Alpha's from the hunting group thought it would be fun to antagonize him. It wasn't until Suho came to run them off, did he manage to try and rest, and even then his brain was running with thoughts of the Head Alpha.

"I'm here to you to the Alpha's Den. She would like a word," Lau began, assessing the Omega's appearance. He was a shorter man, slimly built. But his exposed arms showcased the muscle that could only have come from hard work. The tunic that stopped right above his knees also exposed tone legs.

The Omega before him wasn't the typical breed he was used to seeing. Usually females tended to be labeled Omega for varying reasons. Since the title represented the one who was the bottom of the pack, the appearance of the Omega also reflected that. They were usually scrawny, scarred, and dimwitted.

The Omega nodded his head, leaving the hut to follow behind the tall wolf. They had quite a walk to go, since the original Alpha Leader made sure Jongdae would be situated as far away from him as possible.

"Are you excited?" Lau asked, snapping Jongdae from his nerve ridden thoughts. "She chose to give you a chance, though none of us really know why, but I guess we'll all find out."

"She likes a challenge," Jongdae mumbled, head held low to show he wasn't trying to stand on the same level as the Alpha walking slightly in front of him.

Lau smirked at the lowly said words. That wasn't anything new, Ji'Heiv had always liked a challenge, he wasn't sure how the Omega was providing that challenge, but to each his own.

They caught the stares of a few gatherers who were sitting in a circle, weaving together branches. It was like they were looking at a phenomenon, until one waved her hand, smiling at Jongdae. That act alone, eased some of his nerves. It was nice to know that he had the support of the bare minimum in his pack.

"When you enter," Lau started again, just before walking towards the entrance of the den. "Just be yourself."

Words he'd heard many times as of late.

"Thank you, Lau," the Head Alpha rose from her furs. Biga and Hiru were in the den as well, standing on either side of the entrance. Jongdae could feel himself locking up as the severe smell of Alpha clouded his mind, tearing at his nerves and making him freeze up. He felt like he had just walked into a trap of the worst kind.

"Calm down, Jongdae," she spoke, staring at him with her head tilted to the side. "This is a friendly meeting."

She didn't sound friendly at all. She sounded and looked intimidating.

"You know, I've never heard you talk." She started to circle him, observing his stance. "Does your voice not work?"

"Oh he speaks," Lau laughed. "He said you liked challenges just before we arrived."

Jongdae gritted his teeth, regretting ever having said anything regarding the Head Alpha. As he was reprimanding himself, Biga snorted, "He knows you so well, Head Alpha," causing Hiru and Lau to laugh.

"Out," she commanded, pointing to the entrance and exit of the den. "All of you can stand outside to guard. I will talk to him alone."

Jongdae could just feel his chances of impressing her and keeping his own hind safe, melting away as the three Alpha's filed outside.

She didn't say a word once they were finally alone. Taking the moment to study him further, she noted the moles that decorated the side of his face, neck, and even his chest. Beauty marks she hadn't paid much attention to before, when she was only focused on his lack of scent.

She could feel his eyes looking at her, studying her as well, even though he was far less obvious about it. Every time she met him, there was a minute charge in the air. It was almost unnoticeable, but as she came to terms that she was the one forcing a potential relationship to blossom between them, she focused more on the light static in the air when she was near him.

"You figured I liked challenges?" she began, hoping that easy banter might ease his nerves.

Her eyes followed the movement of his throat as he swallowed once...twice, before opening and then closing his mouth.

She didn't want to tell him to relax or to not be nervous. Him being on edge was something she preferred to keep in the dynamics, until they were both sure of each other.

Jongdae clenched his fist at his sides, biceps flexing with the action. He just needed to get the words out. He determined that he would give her the challenge she seeked, that he wouldn't keep being the fool. That was proving to be harder and harder as he continued to meet her.

"Yes."

That was it. That was all he could get out, a simple minded, numb skulled, basic 'Yes'.

"I mean," he shook his head, aggravated with himself. "I can tell, by what you do when around me."

"And what do I do when I'm around you?" she inquired, admiring his tone of voice, while moving closer to him.

His nose flared as he told his feet to stay grounded and not to step back, "You're doing it now. Intimidating me to see what I would do."

Ji'Heiv could have laughed.

Apparently, he paid as much attention to her body language as she did his, "Your reaction to those in higher rank, when they are dominating you is, how should I say this, disrespectful."

"How?" he asked quickly, trying to keep the shock off of his face.

"I think you know how," she smirked, now standing directly in front of him. "Don't hold your breath. Face me head on," she commanded, tone sharp.

Jongdae felt like his air was being taken away, his voice wispy, "I don't know what you mean." He blinked hard, trying to keep his eyes on hers and his breathing steady.

A small smile found it's way to her lips. Maybe she was a machoist, because there was extreme pleasure in watching him struggle to get and keep a backbone.

All Jongdae felt was extreme frustration at the situations he kept finding himself in. He was too uncomfortable to take deep breaths, and too nervous to speak up. All in all, he felt like the internal stress would cause him to faint before anything else.

Ji'Heiv couldn't have stepped closer to Jongdae if she tried. Even though Jongdae was completely uncomfortable, he hadn't taken a step back yet. He was holding his ground, whether he was aware of it or not. Without even knowing it, he was impressing her, with the small shows of stuached will power.

What she needed in a mate was someone who would hold their ground, someone who would protect their family even while facing a no win situation.

"I've been watching you," she started, giving him space. "I said I would from the first day we met. Granted," she shrugged. "I haven't seen very much of you, but I've heard quite a bit about you. Apparently, you're a hot topic."

The air that Jongdae gulped, while she was retreating, was glorious and made him slightly light headed. His ears tried to focus on her words, catching the important parts.

"I've asked Yixing to tell me, why he was so adamant about you being my mate? Do you know what he said?" Jongdae only stared, nervous to hear her answer. "That you're a hard worker."

She laughed slightly, shaking her head, "He kept repeating that you would take care of me. That you work hard and I should give you a chance."

"Why me?" he had to know, because at this point, every encounter with her was proving to be torturous. He felt like she was taunting him.

"Why not?" she turned her back to him, the exposed skin catching Jongdae's attention. Her dark green tunic wrapped around her neck, and fell low around her back, showcasing the toned muscles she trained hard to keep. "Do you know why you're an Omega, Jongdae?"

"I don't have a strong scent," he answered plainly.

"Wrong," she turned to face him. "Simply put, your lack of scent, makes you a threat. No one knows when you are coming or going."

She could see the wheels turning in Jongdae's head, the new information sinking in and explaining itself to the man.

"As a precaution for myself, I'd rather have you as a friend than an enemy. I have too much to lose during this sensitive period in my life, and sadly, I have to mate with someone before my 25th senescene or it will be too late for me to produce an heir. So why not you?"

"What senescence are you currently in?" Breathing was coming easier, the threat she was purposefully radiating was decreasing since she finally began to talk business.

She smirked as a dry laugh came out of , "my 23rd. That's right, I only have two more to go before I've gone too far."

Jongdae took that information in, adding it to the other mental notes he'd taken on her.

If she made him mate with her, they would immediately have to start on the impregnation process. He knew he wouldn't like the fact that he was going to not only be mated for life to someone he didn't know, but he would also father her pups.

The urge to get over his insecurities when around her was even more prominent now. High ranking wolf mates always provided a united front. He couldn't do that with someone he didn't know or understand too well.

Taking a deep breath, he stood up as straight as he could, "You're giving me this option, but I know I don't really have a choice." She stared intently at him as he spoke, "I know I can do it. I can impress you, but I'm not interested in trying to do so. I just want to be myself, and hopefully that will be enough."

"People love you in this pack, I've noticed that they adore you. Others," she began to pace. "Not so much."

She was in front of him again, but not so close as was her habit, "I don't know if it's because you're the Omega, so they feel they have to dislike you, or if it's because they sense the threat in you as I do, I can't be sure."

"I'm not a threat. I want to help the pack the same as anyone else."

"How noble of you," she smiled at his serious statement, noting the building conviction in his eyes. "And you will continue to do so, I can promise that."

She called for Biga to come back into the den, already forming a plan in her head. Once the huge man entered, she looked to Jongdae again. She needed to be sure of him, "Jongdae will train with you and the Warriors for seven moons. I want to see just what kind of defensive and offensive skills he has."

Biga nodded, eyeing the frame of Jongdae.

Hiru came in soon after she called for him, a teasing smile still adorning his face. "Hiru, I want you to train Jongdae with the Hunters for seven suns. I'm sure his lack of scent works grandly in that field."

"Lau," she called, watching as the tallest of them entered the den. "Fraternize with your new pack members. I want to know everything they have to say about my potential mate."

All of them had their eyes trained on Jongdae, who was fighting the fine battle to keep his back straight and his head held high. So far he was succeeding, despite the urge to give up.

"Jongdae, I hope you know how serious this matter is to me. And, I hope we can be good friends," she reached up to pat his cheek, a demeaning gesture to anyone with a semblance of pride.

"Me too," he mumbled, wanting to turn and leave after receiving that degrading pat to the cheek, but knowing he very well couldn't disrespect the Head Alpha outrightly. So instead, he slid his eyes down and to the side, ignoring her presence until she dismissed him.

Her indignant laughter startled him, causing his eyes to focus back on her, "You're doing it now. That small disrespectful thing you do to those in higher rank." She was once again even closer than before, evading his breathing air, "You think I can't tell you are dismissing me? Acting as if I am not present?"

Jongdae could smell the threatening scent of Alpha's rise as their leader showed her irritation, "We are not equals, and you have a long and hard road to go before you're my mate, to which even then, we won't be equals."

Despite how the situation was turning, Jongdae would not regret his snark. It was apart of him through and through, and it has always gotten him in trouble when he was outwardly impudent. Now even his more hidden brazen ways, were being thrown in his face. But he wasn't going to change himself and his means of dealing with being unworthy for anyone else anymore. So instead, he clenched his jaw until it hurt, trying to hold back words that would surely get him a beating.

That was the Jongdae she preferred, the one struggling to stay in his place. That was the challenge she liked from the spirited Omega. The kind that showed who he really was, and not the submissive person he was made to be. If she got closer, if she was as bold in that moment as she had been in past situations, she would have buried her nose in his neck, just to see what a defiant Jongdae smelled like. Would it still be a mixture of spices? Or would it smell tangier, peppery?

"Show him back to his hut, Lau."

~~~

"Are you crazy?" Lau laughed, long blonde hair bouncing behind him. He was skipping, the tall threatening Alpha was skipping with glee. "You were provoking the Head Alpha. Like, you were standing there as if you had a right to be, do, and say what you want." he chortled. "Even though, you didn't do or say anything. It was all in your demeanor, and that was gold."

Jongdae continued his walk with his head down. It was another embarrassing moment if anything, and it made him upset. He already knew his place, everyone in the pack reminded him of it day by day. He had to deal with losing parts of himself for too many interchanging moons and suns, so how he reacted to being dominated now, was his concern and no one else's. Not even the Head Alpha's.

"I don't know how you find that to be something to compliment," he told the Alpha. Upon hearing the defeat in the Omega's voice, Lau stopped skipping ahead, slowing to a walk.

"You're going to need to show some kind of dominance if you plan on being the kind of mate our Ji'Heiv wants. Yes, little Omega," Lau began to snicker. "Even to our Head Alpha you will have to show some dominance. You may never be her equal, but you still have to be someone she can respect. When you two have little pups, they won't just be hers alone, they will be yours as well. She will need to know that you won't just submit when they or even herself, is in danger."

"Is that why she has me training with Biga and Hiru?"

"Yes, and no. If you can't even defend and provide for yourself, through security and hunting, then I can almost guarantee you she will no longer be considering you as a mate. I'm sure she just wants to see how well you do in both aspects first."

"And you?"

"What about me?" he shrugged. "I'll just be socializing with the locals, and getting as deep in your personal business as I can," he laughed. "But I'll be cheering for you!"

"How reassuring," he muttered.

"Can't help the sass, can you?" Lau question, aqua eyes still shining.

Jongdae bit his lip, head lowering again. He couldn't help it, it just slipped out, "I'm sorry."

"It's ok, I like it. It'll help you fit in with us," Lau smiled.

"Jongdae!" someone called from behind him. Lau immediately went to step in front of the Omega, confusing both Jongdae and the identified approaching Sehun.

"Pup," Lau spoke up, scenting the air. "No more. You're an Alpha now, huh?"

Jongdae peered from behind the tall man, smile reaching from ear to ear, "You manifested today? And as an Alpha, too?"

"Yeah! Wish I had cool bottom teeth like you though," the young Alpha pouted. "I'll be training with the warriors now. I just wanted to let you know that I won't be able to help the gatherers anymore."

"Do you respect him that much, that you had to tell him personally?" Lau was already starting to question the pack members. It put Sehun on edge, Lau was admirable in appearance, but that only made him more dangerous to the newly manifested Alpha.

Jongdae already knew why Sehun was telling him. Suho may have been the one who delivered the meat to Jongdae for dinner, but Sehun was the one who smuggled it to the Lead Hunter after is was cleaned.

He was basically telling Jongdae that he wouldn't be able to get his food to Suho, which meant Jongdae may go back to starving unless Suho came up with some other idea.

"I do respect him," Sehun answered, holding his head high and his back impossibly straight. "Jongdae has always been good to me, just because he has the lowest rank, he still earned the title Omega Leader."

"How did he earn that title?" Lau was relentless, stepping closer to Sehun who was not backing down.

"By working hard, never complaining, and giving his all no matter what," Sehun jutted out his chin in defiance.

"Ok, let's go, Jongdae," Lau turned, pulling at Jongdae's arm. "Maybe I shouldn't man handle you like this, but we need distance from that Alpha."

Jongdae was confused, "why? What did Sehun do?"

"He is protective. And he might be smelling himself too much. If I provoked him, I could sense he would be stupid enough to try and fight me."

"Isn't that how Alpha's are?"

"Not smart ones," he answered quickly. "Smart Alpha's know where their power lie. That's why we only have one Head Alpha and all other Alpha's rank themselves according to their strengths. He is new, but he will learn."

"So you were protecting him by leaving first?"

"Yes," he laughed. "I don't want to have to bash in the faces of the youth too early, that would be mean."

Jongdae laughed at the joke, surprising Lau. The wolf was already used to Jongdae taking things too seriously.

"We can stop here, Lau. I have work to do, so I won't be returning to my hut until late, but thanks."

Lau gave a mocking salute before taking off in the opposite direction.

Jongdae took a deep breath, grateful for the small freedom. Impressing the Head Alpha meant learning how to dominate. That was something he could easily do, since that is what came naturally to him. But his rank as an Omega, hindered any methods of dominating anyone in the pack. He couldn't even seem like he was telling the pups what to do without their mothers coming for his neck.

He supposed, the only way to get under Ji'Heiv's skin and show that as her potential mate - and someone who would be ranked second highest in the pack someday - that he deserved her respect, the small acts of stubbornness would have to continue, maybe even on an increased scale. Sure, she would remind him who was in charge, but it wouldn't hurt to remind her that she was the one choosing him.

 


 

A/N: KimChiNii Mar 11, 2016 16:40:50 I feel like if Jongdae wasn't an Omega, he would be that right someone that Ji'Heiv should fear showing insubordination. Almost-scentless but capable and strong is actually a really bada** combination for a wolf. Cuz as is mentioned, he's technically invisible. The former head Alpha was smart (despite being unjust) for making Jongdae Omega as soon as he manifested, cuz had Jongdae been treated any differently when he manifested, then he def wouldn't show submission and would probably take matters into his own hands if someone treated him or his pack badly. TL;DR: I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS AU! (Also I know from ur other stories that you develop characters really well, so I'm totally looking forward to how different Jongdae would be by the end of the fic. I hope it would be bada** Jongdae using his weak scent to his advantage, and maybe helping Ji'Heiv conquer other packs.)

This is from a discussion I was having in the comment section with this reader. She was commenting on the 2nd chapter, but this is what she gathered from the story so far. Notice how right she was in this third chapter. I had to put her comment out there, cause it was so accurate and she took the context clues and applied them appropiately! It's beautiful! Though this isn't a mystery story, I still hope to see more of you in the comments with your thoughts, suggestions, and encouragements! Come at me!

Plus, I've noticed that someone has been participating in the upvotes on comments! I am very happy to see that as commentators deserve some recognition! Keep it up guys!

Now come at me!