Chapter 3: In All The Confusion

A Worthy Fight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seolhyun was already informed that Hyejeong had caught a cold so she'd rest for a couple of days before joining them in their activities. Although Seolhyun mentally prepared herself to see Hyejeong (who was sick), her eyes sprang open in some form of fright when she actually met Hyejeong: 
Exhaustion was apparent in her sunken reddish eyes and her weary movements only reaffirmed that she was flagging with each passing minute. She looked like she hadn't slept a wink, or at least that's what Seolhyun thought. Her condition was no different and even worse inside: she had a splitting headache and was feeling a bit dizzy and weak. Seolhyun figured out it wasn't a simple 'cold' as she was told - Hyejeong had definitely got the flu. 

Even in that condition, though, Seolhyun couldn't help admiring her beauty: have you actually ever seen someone who's better at combining cute, y and gorgeous than Shin Hyejeong? She felt emotionally swept away by Hyejeong and was probably not in the most rational state of mind, and at the same time, she felt extremely concerned and worried over Hyejeong's health, and the feelings she got from the whole concern and happiness from meeting Hyejeong could be compared to the physiology of having a panic attack - but instead of wishing it'd stop, Seolhyun wished this warm, fuzzy feeling would just never leave her. She was just thanking God for having Hyejeong in her life and surviving this whole time without her when it seemed impossible.   
"I missed you so much~" She leaned forward and put her arms around Hyejeong's shoulders, then planting her head on Hyejeong's chest. Meanwhile, Hyejeong half-closed her eyes while leaning her head on Seolhyun's shoulder but had them snap wide open again very quickly, accompanying it with a heavy sigh. 
"You can get sick." She uttered with a weak, husky voice and tried to move away. 
But Seolhyun did not move, she could feel the weight of Hyejeong's stress and yet stayed there and even tightened the hug. Usually, when hugging Hyejeong, Seolhyun could feel nothing but the comfort and warmth Hyejeong offered; though it was quite different this time. A cold, disheartening distance was all she could feel. Hyejeong was so drained that she couldn't say anything more, but the weird part was that she didn't even make any effort to hug her back. Seolhyun tried to reassure herself that Hyejeong was simply tired and that explained her behaviour: yet she couldn't help but feel anxious as hours went by, as Hyejeong never even smiled or talked to her for more than 3 minutes, and even when she did, she would only reply through drooping her eyelids downwards instead of saying anything; however she could force a smile or exchange a few words with some other members. 

[The Next Day] 

"Seems like fever." Choa announced after leaving SeolJeong's room in the morning.
"She will live, right?" Seolhyun asked with fervor, implying distress. She perfectly knew the answer, but the whole confusion in her mind led her to feel wrecked and concerned. 
"Oh God..." Jimin groaned out. "You're unbearable when you're worried." 
"I can't help it." Seolhyun sniffed and crossed her hands. "Oh, Yuna eonni! Could you please..." She called the older girl and pointed at some other room, hinting with a gesture that they had to talk. Yuna looked disquieted about the impending talk (as she already knew what Seolhyun was going to ask) but still decided to follow Seolhyun. Her expression remained changeless: preoccupied look, with inconvenience and uneasiness drawn into every feature of her face. Seolhyun closed the door as soon as the two got in the empty room. 
"Eonni, did something happen while you were in Japan?" 
"N-no? We were just, uhm, working." 
"But, something's wrong with Hyejeong eonni's attitude... what's the problem?" Seolhyun inquired. 
"She just.." You could literally feel Yuna's discomfort just by the way she breathed or spoke. ".. had no rest ever since we went there." 
Seolhyun furrowed her brow in an expression of disbelief and stared upon Yuna in a distrustful way. "This isn't everything, right?" She demanded. 
"Err... Yeah.. I mean, no.. It is.." It wasn't like Yuna was actually that bad at lying; she just obviously wasn't ready to talk to Seolhyun on this matter yet. She definitely knew something but was hiding it and Seolhyun knew her too well to see that. 
"Please, eonni," She insisted, "I know something is wrong with her.. I saw her talking to Youkyung and you, she was actually energetic, but as soon as I came in, she started acting like a battery going down fast..." She lowered her gaze and spoke as though begging. "I know you're the only person who knows the matter..." 
"Me?... She's much closer to Youkyung and Mina." Yuna looked away, in an attempt to avoid the eye-contact. She always did that whenever she felt uneasy about talking on a certain subject, and Seolhyun was now assured that Yuna indeed knew everything. 
"You were the only one who was with her in Japan." she stated. 
"Chanmi was--"  
"Stop changing the subject, eonni, I'm sure that you know the reason behind her actions." Seolhyun bugged. Yuna said nothing, she just stood there, blankly staring at the wall and silently listening to the voices in her head, argu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter