Epilogue of one imp and his stray cat

Of one imp and his stray cat

Epilogue of one imp and his stray cat

 

Their relationship was complicated.

Jaehwan knew that.

But how could he care when it brought him happiness so overwhelming, that he was constantly drunk on the feeling.

 

The day of the art exhibition ended in Taekwoon’s apartment, in his bed and June was dragging the warmth of the day late into the night, but even so, he could not let go of Taekwoon.  Not for a minute, not for a second and not for a single heart beat.

‘I think I love you.’ he whispered, and he was watching, watching close as Taekwoon’s eyes dilated, as his cheeks flushed and as his lips parted in silent surprise.

When he spoke, there was an uneven note to his voice. ‘Jaehwan, are you really…’

Jaehwan rolled them over, gently, straddling his hips and leaning down over him. ‘I love you.’ he repeated, and it felt good. It felt good to feel his cheeks flush and to watch as Taekwoon’s face went red beneath him in the pale light of the street lamps. ‘I love you.’ he grinned, and then he was laughing, a bubble of joy building in his chest that he didn’t want to stifle.

But Taekwoon did it for him, yanking him down hard and fast, the kiss messy and amazing and his hands went under Jaehwan’s shirt, stripping it up with surprising efficiency. Jaehwan fumbled to help, getting in the way and refused to stop kissing him long enough to get it over his head.

Taekwoon shoved at his shoulders, a frustrated sound building in his chest until he managed to get Jaehwan’s shirt off, tossing it to the side. ‘Why is it so hard to get you ?’ he asked, sounding adorably frustrated.

Jaehwan burst out laughing then, his face flushed. ‘Yeah, well, I’m trying.’ he said, even as his fingers slid under Taekwoon’s clothes, mapping out the expanse of skin with teasing caresses.

‘You are insufferable, imp. ‘ he whispered, and the sound was raw and thick and just like that, Jaehwan was on his back again, and that was a shock of pure pleasure as Taekwoon’s breath ghosted against his throat.

‘I think I love you too.’ Taekwoon breathed against the curve of his neck, and Jaehwan gasped, dizziness swamping him even as a smile tugged at his lips.

‘Is this revenge, cat-hyung?’

Laughing, Taekwoon repeated it as his lips slid down the skin of his throat, words exhaled over the curve of his chest, over his heart. ‘I love you.’

‘Are you sure?’ Jaehwan asked as his fingers slid into Taekwoon’s hair, caressing the locks gently.

Taekwoon’s eyes flicked up to meet Jaehwan’s, his lips curving in a soft smile and Jaehwan’s heart stuttered. ‘About the why? No. Because I’m discovering something new every day.’ he said, pushing himself up. ‘But I’m sure I’ve never wanted anything more.’

And he kissed him again, slow and chaste and adoring.

‘Are you sure?’

‘Yes, absolutely.’ Jaehwan whispered, dragging him down and then he stopped thinking entirely.

~*~

It was complicated - the two of them and everyone else would agree.

They stumbled into it after all in a completely unorthodox way, forgoing official sounding dates and rules about kissing and everything that seemed like the traditional way.

Maybe that was the reason why Jaehwan gave up his flat right after Taekwoon began his residency at the local hospital and moved in with him, saying he already had most of his stuff there anyway.

And that second toothbrush next to his was not waiting anymore.

Taekwoon was a bit shocked at how easily he accepted that, how right that was… And his medical texts and guitar might have acquired smears of paint in the process, but that was right too and he jokingly asked Jaehwan to paint the walls too.

Instead he painted abstract patterns on the skull that overlooked the living room, naming it Ken, and proceeded to find place for art in the fortress of medicine.

His – no – their apartment had never looked better.

The smell of fresh paint mixed into the aroma of coffee and the lingering scent of antiseptic that followed Taekwoon home complemented the faint cigarette smoke that Jaehwan carried around, giving their home an oddly comforting character.

 

And if the old lady from the second floor gave him a perfect muffin receipt and Jaehwan a pat on his head the first time they ran into her after the moving, then it was for him to be mortified about and for Jaehwan to promise that no cigarette buds would disgrace the fire escape now that he moved his smoke upstairs.

 

Taekwoon was also sure there was nothing better than waking up to Jaehwan’s sunny smile, the smell of his skin and the feel of his fingers as they caressed patterns into his skin.

And if Jaehwan ever got startled by the noises the air compressor made, then he was glad to make fun of him as he kissed a silly smile to his lips.

Even if he sometimes questioned their sanity.

 

‘Have you seen my underwear?’

Taekwoon pinched the bridge of his nose with firm fingers as he tried to bury himself under the covers. ‘Far too often, and not often enough’ he mumbled, and he was sure that the imp was grinning.

‘Well, have you seen them recently?’ he asked with laughter in his voice and dragged the covers down Taekwoon’s head to ruffle his hair.

‘Are you asking because you are wearing mine again?’ Taekwoon groaned and swatted at his hand, way too slow, mostly because he wasn't really trying. ‘Uh, whatever. I don’t even want to know.’

 Jaehwan reached over to ruffle his hair again, and this time, Taekwoon caught his hand, dragging it down to press a kiss in the curve of the palm.

‘Stop being annoying.’

‘Hyung, you ask the impossible of me.’ Jaehwan moved to sit on the bed, making it bounce, messing the blankets and wiggling around with far more force than was necessary, putting his head on Taekwoon’s chest and grinned up at him. ‘Impossible.’

‘I ask because you are so good at accomplishing the impossible.’ Taekwoon said, his voice still groggy from sleep as he moved to pull Jaehwan into a hug. ‘Your own fault.’

‘Isn’t it always?’ Jaehwan chuckled, snuggling into him.

‘Always. Now get off.’ Taekwoon sighed, caressing his back. ‘It’s Saturday and I should still be asleep… Also you have work.’

‘Actually, I don’t - in reality I’m slaving away my summer in order to support my boyfriend.’ Jaehwan grinned.

‘You're not being cute right now.’ Taekwoon deadpanned, reaching to the side for a pillow he smacked lightly against his back.

‘I made breakfast, though.’ Jaehwan pouted, casting an offended glance at the pillow.

‘Now you are getting there.’ Taekwoon said, trying to hold back a smile. ‘Still, get off.’

‘But, hyung...’ Jaehwan whined. ‘My never ending love only means that much in the face of sleeping?’

‘Yeah.’

‘But I love you.’

‘You know, that's not a get out of jail free card, imp.’ Taekwoon said, raising a brow.

‘It kinda is, actually.’ Jaehwan grinned, and Taekwoon thought it was probably true, and the imp knew it too because he began laughing.

So he simply ignored Jaehwan's laughter, putting a foot against his ribs and shoving him off the side of the bed. ‘Go to work and let me sleep...’ he said, going back to his blanket and pillows.

But he was hiding a smile, and Jaehwan scrambled up off the floor with an exaggerated sigh.

‘As Leo is my witness, I do not know why I am dating you.’  Jaehwan said, reaching out to pat the guitar that rested against the wall.

Taekwoon glanced at him from the cover of his bangs. ‘Cause I'm pretty good looking?’

‘Maybe.’

‘Cause no one else will put up with the abomination that is your insistence that drinking instant coffee is acceptable?’ Taekwoon asked, reaching out to brush his fingers against Jaehwan’s.

‘Says the one, who thinks his baking is safe for human consumption - even though he is a doctor.’ Jaehwan taunted, waving their fingers together.

‘Cause I don't judge you for sleeping in socks?’ Taekwoon asked, ignoring his jab.

‘Excuse me, at least I don't put ice cold feet on your legs in the middle of the night.’ Jaehwan groused, though a smirk was playing on his lips.

‘I need my blood focused in other places when you're in bed with me.’ Taekwoon teased and that earned a toe-curlingly dark look. ‘Is it because-‘ he continued, but Jaehwan fell into the bed and onto him and grabbed him by the front of the shirt, pulling him forward.

‘It's because I love you.’ Jaehwan said, eyes laughing.

‘That was going to be my next guess.’ Taekwoon said, tangling his legs with Jaehwan's and allowing his head to be pulled up for a kiss. It was long and slow and sweet, and when he pulled away, he said. ‘But just so you know, the instant coffee thing? Makes it really hard.’

‘Shut up, hyung.’ Jaehwan grinned.

‘Really, really hard.’ Taekwoon said, nuzzling his throat and pulling him closer.

‘Seriously, you can stop talking at any point now.’ Jaehwan said, arching into his touch. ‘You know, if you'd just woken up nicely, skipping the listing of my many faults, we would have had a fifteen minute option and a breakfast after-’ Jaehwan managed before he rolled him onto his back.

‘And now?’ Taekwoon asked, because his life would be easier if Jaehwan just took his own advices and shut up himself – then again he loved to make his voice hitch.

‘We have a 10 minute option, no breakfast together and me possibly being late for work.’ Jaehwan said, his voice indeed hitching as Taekwoon pressed a kiss against his pulse point.

‘Let’s take that option.’

 

Summer was still seeping into the sunny days of September when Hani and Hongbin announced that they were getting married, not giving any of them much time to prepare. But Taekwoon sat through the pandemonium after the announcement with Jaehwan grinning next to him in excitement, and figured they probably couldn’t mess up too horribly.

Wonshik was also immensely glad on his other side that he’d thought ahead and composed a song for them already. Hyuk thought preparing for a wedding in three weeks was nearly as adventurous as a run-away one, which was the very definition of excellent in his book – Hakyeon promptly told him not to give the pair ideas. Jin just asked them, for how many people he should cook.

 

They survived the preparation with less nervous break downs than he would have expected.

 

If the girls ever mentioned that Hakyeon had the most, then Taekwoon thought it was not a surprise – he tended to try taking care of everyone and everything after all.

~*~

‘Will you dance with me? Please?’

They moved to a restaurant with a picturesque garden that they reserved through sheer force of luck, and the wedding was going amazingly well - a nearly perfectly executed ceremony in the park, tons of embarrassing photos and stories, amazing dinner and VIXXED playing as the couple had their first dance. Then it was time to really start celebrating as the sun began to set and painted the white décor and the green leaves of the trees in golden colors.

‘Why do I feel like I'm being politely invited to my execution?’ Taekwoon asked, raising a brow as he accepted Jaehwan’s outstretched hand.

‘I’ve got lessons from Hyuk.’ Jaehwan grinned back, pulling him to his feet.

‘Exactly.’ was his deadpan answer, but he was smiling so Jaehwan was not too concerned about his immediate safety and he led him to the dance floor, mingling with their friends.

The laughter and yelling and singing and even more laughter swirled in perfect rhythm with the music, and Jaehwan took a moment to just observe as one of his hands slipped into Taekwoon’s, the other settling around him and they stepped into the wave of dancers.

The whole place was alive and warm and cozy and Sandeul was trying to teach Hani a new dance move and Jin was opposed to this plan, and Hongbin was laughing so hard that his face was flushed and Wonshik was grinning along him, eyes bright as he tried to save the situation as the best man. Hyuk was running a commentary on the events as Sungjae countered his words with even more absurd ones and Hakyeon gave up trying to stop them, letting Eunji spin him around as her eyes danced in mirth.

And Jaehwan’s vision of them shifted as Taekwoon twirled him and pulled him in close afterwards, his hand settling on the nape of his neck, fingers rubbing gently.

‘Not bad, hyung.’ he grinned and Taekwoon’s lips twitched up in a smile.

‘You are not the only one who took a few lessons.’ Taekwoon chuckled. ‘But not form Hyuk, never from him.’

‘Fair enough.’ Jaehwan nodded with a smile and he twirled Taekwoon in turn, his gaze following his every move as he settled back against him with a faint chuckle.

And it was a mesmerizing sight.

The sun drifted lower and the garden around them became velvety, the trees shifted too and the bodies of shadows tumbled in along the movement, but a delicate, soft evening halo wove its way into the dark locks of Taekwoon’s hair and it just hardly resembled any earthy lights.

And maybe the secrets of the passing day and the wakening night glimmered in his warm, brown eyes as he gazed back and Jaehwan was enthralled, knowing that it was just so good to be alive as love itself poured through his veins.

‘What is it, Jaehwan?’ Taekwoon whispered softly, as if he was seeing the same miracle of the twilight – and maybe he was.

‘Hmm, I’m just sentimental.’ Jaehwan whispered back, leaning his forehead against his. ‘You know, an artist thing.’

‘Whatever it is, you look relaxed and happy. I like it when you are happy.’ Taekwoon smiled, his hand cupping the side of Jaehwan’s face as his thumb caressed his lips. ‘You look amazing.’

Jaehwan got lost in the wash of heat that started somewhere low in his stomach, something like comfort and love and desire, all at once. ‘If I didn’t know better, I would say you are just trying to get into my pants.’ he said, lips curling up.

‘Why bother trying? I know I will.’ Taekwoon rolled his eyes and Jaehwan burst out laughing, a bit too loud and a bit too hard, and maybe he was an embarrassment but Taekwoon was smiling back at him, all the warmth of the world in his eyes.

So he leaned forward and kissed him, hard and fast and maybe there were catcalls, but he didn’t really care either way.

When they broke apart, Jaehwan could feel the heat in his cheeks, and Taekwoon was flushed, and they were surrounded by smiling faces, laughing eyes and voices raised in a cacophony of humor and acceptance, and it was so strange. So strange to be there, among these bizarre people, so dissimilar, but so familiar...

But they were there, all of them were there, and there was Taekwoon, solid and stable and amused, next to him, his arms around Jaehwan, his fingers on his cheek, his mouth swollen from that fast, hard kiss.

And that was perfect.

‘So I look okay?’ he couldn't help but ask.

Taekwoon leaned in, his lips almost against Jaehwan's ear, his breath a flicker of touch on his skin, and whispered. ‘When we get home, I'll show you just how okay you look right now.’

Jaehwan shivered. ‘Well, damn, now I regret agreeing to dinner.’ he said, and Taekwoon laughed.

And it was the most amazing sound, open and honest and him.

‘Always dinner first. Make me work for it.’ Taekwoon advised, and that was perfect, too.

‘So who wants some cake?’ someone yelled and they laughed together as a chaos of voices rose around them.

 

They met at the center of a storm.

They ran into each other – literally – books and papers falling to the ground in a loud clatter, only dwarfed in sound by Jaehwan’s yelp and slight swearing.

They met again thanks to notes that got mixed up in the fall, but they kept on meeting because of something entirely different.

And now they stood together in the midst of it, the storm called life, and maybe it was still their own making - rain of bills, thunder of student loans and whirlwind of MA courses and work hours.

But this time they didn’t go their separate ways, starting off towards a path they wished to walk together. Building a life they could share - out of friendship, out of passion, out of love - and working on it every day to make it last.

A promise for the future.

And maybe it was a hard path they choose, complicated and sometimes tiring. But there was trust, the words of truth, the language of touch and a breath of apology when it was time to forgive and forget... They were prepared to be there for the other to fall back on.

 

And that was how it began, the story of one imp and his stray cat.


 

We reached the end of this story, but I hope you enjoyed this little baby~
Thank you for for reading, commenting, subscribing, voting and loving it! <3

Thank you dears~

And just in time for VIXX's comeback too, let's see if we can survive it ;D