Intermission of the doting mothers

Of one imp and his stray cat

Intermission of the doting mothers

 

Hakyeon was a cheerful and energetic in his opinion, and he always wanted to know what happened to the people around him and why. He studied sociology for that reason too, to have the foundation for better understanding the world, the social life of people and all its changes and diversities.

Some called him nosy or annoying for that curiosity. But he just thought of himself as someone who cared.

He also felt responsible to make sure that none of his friends stayed alone after a fight or, in this very special case, after a kiss that should have ended differently.

So he stayed by Taekwoon’s side even after he’d gotten home, knowing well that he didn’t need to say a word until he started to talk, so he waited. Then Taekwoon talked, not much, mostly in confusion and Hakyeon let him do that because that was what he needed.

Taekwoon was complicated, Hakyeon would know, they’ve been friends for six years already.

And Hakyeon remembered how often he got misunderstood, categorized as someone cold and aloof when he was just not interested. And one really had to work on getting him to open up, but when he did he was a wonderful friend. Patience was the key, and he mastered the art already…

After things seemed right again, Taekwoon smiled at him, apologized for messing up his date and right out asked him to look after Jaehwan too.

He considered that more than a success.

By the time Hakyeon got back from Taekwoon’s apartment, it was already past midnight so he called Eunji to make sure that she’d arrived home alright too as he climbed the stairs to his apartment.

‘I’m really sorry Eunji-‘

‘No, oppa, don’t worry!’ Eunji cut him off. ‘Nothing happened, really, I’m glad I got to know your friends.’ she said, and Hakyeon could just picture her smile.

‘They are embarrassing most of the time, like me, but I hope you enjoyed yourself anyway.’ Hakyeon said, chuckling softly.

‘I did. And maybe we could repeat this, but with just the two of us.’ Eunji said, and Hakyeon nearly tripped on the stairs as his heart skipped a beat.

‘Really? I mean, yeah. Yeah, I would love to.’

‘Great, then I will call you later.’ Eunji laughed, sounding happy and Hakyeon was smiling wide too.

‘Yeah, good night, Eunji.’

‘Good night, oppa.’

‘At least someone is happy about this evening.’ Jin said without turning to look at him, sitting on the floor while staring at the couch.

‘Where is Jaehwan?’ Hakyeon asked, worried that his favorite painter might smoke himself to next week.

‘Went out for a walk with Sandeul.’ Jin said and added after probably reading his mind. ‘I confiscated his cigarettes and his wallet too, don’t worry. Sandeul’s too.’

Hakyeon plopped down next to him with a sigh, joining the blank staring at their couch. ‘And what are we doing now?’

‘Cleansing ritual.’ Jin deadpanned, frowning at the couch in distaste. ‘Hyung, we seriously need to throw this thing out now.’ he continued as he tried to keep a straight face, and Hakyeon couldn’t help the snort that escaped him.

Then they just burst out laughing.

Seokjin became his flat mate by chance during his second year at the university and he’d been really awkward at first - he still was. But Jin was also open, kind and had a weird fascination with the color pink and food. He also loved to laugh more than anything so Hakyeon thought he got lucky to get not only a flat mate but a great friend too.

Jaehwan labeled them both as mother figures, and it was oddly fitting seeing how they both were the oldest in their circle of friends. Friends that mixed and mingled after being exposed to their combined nosiness, making a nice family.

Said family was also the cause of many headaches, but they were the resident moms for a reason.

‘Ridiculous.’ Jin sighed, after catching his breath.

‘Agreed.’

‘I can’t decide which one of them is the bigger idiot.’ Jin continued, shaking his head in sheer disbelief.

‘Both of them are idiots.’ Hakyeon smiled.

‘And what did Taekwoon-hyung say?’ Jin asked, reaching for some leftover pizza to munch on.

‘That he is confused, because Jaehwan is complicated-’

‘Says him.’

‘-and this whole relationship is complicated.’

 ‘See, Hani was right. They either kill each other or they fall in love.’ Jin nodded after a while, offering a piece to Hakyeon. ‘I think we nearly crossed over to the kill part of things.’

‘Yeah… but I don’t think we should interfere.’ Hakyeon shrugged, accepting the pizza that was most definitely still good and really, Jin’s talent in cooking was a highlight in their shared life.

‘Interfere?’ Jin snorted. ‘I value my life and sanity, thank you very much.’

‘Aren’t you a psychology student?’ Hakyeon teased, nudging him with his elbow.

‘I don’t remember getting paid.’ Jin laughed.

‘I won’t even comment on that.’ Hakyeon smiled. ‘And what about Jaehwan? How did he take it?’

‘Surprisingly well, actually. He laughed after he’d blinked himself back to reality and mumbled something about scaredy-cats.’ Jin shrugged. ‘I guess he knows what he got himself into.’

Jaehwan surely would. He was a rather complicated person too, friendly and open and acted cute because he liked to be loved, but was sharp in his observations, witty and had a stubborn streak that could wear anything down. Even Taekwoon.

Hakyeon was hoping he would.

‘Think we should fetch them?’

‘I think Jaehwan probably charmed himself a pack of cigarettes already, hyung. And if not him, then Sandeul surely did… so yeah, we should.’

‘I keep telling them that they should stop smoking.’

‘And when did they ever listen to anyone, hyung?’

‘Never. Especially not Jaehwan.’

 

Hakyeon really couldn’t wait to see how this would end.


 

I’m with you Hakyeon, I’m with you :D
Well at least the boys are not completely hopeless cases, even if the couch has to go…

92liners' friendship is precious, so is Hakyeon. And I have to admit I enjoyed his drama with Eunji too much haha.
Next one is a regular chapter, dears <3