Encounter

Aged to Perfection

 

Chapter 5

 

Last night after they put the boxes away and got Jinki and Gwiboon to bed they had searched the name Shiny Soul on the internet and found an address.

In the morning Eunsook filled the photo digital frame with the photos of her mom and father as planned and wrapped up the frame in gift wrap before work. She hid it in her bedroom closet to give to him in a few weeks for his birthday. While Minho was in the bathroom shaving and her father and Gwiboon were eating breakfast she snuck back into his bedroom and retrieved a photo of Taemin and one of him with her father in the tree house from the secret shoe box and put them in her purse.  Eunsook and Minho worked at the family butcher shop, her grandparent’s had owned; it’s now hers. After Gwiboon was born Jinki signed the shop over to his daughter so he could stay at home and take care of his precious grandbaby. Eunsook and her husband left the house; Minho went to the butcher shop as Eunsook drove across the city to find the shoe store….

 Eunsook listened carefully to the GPS; she was nibbling her plump bottom lip nervously, a habit she inherited from her father.

“You have arrived at your destination” The GPS told her; she slowed down and drove slowly past a modest sized red brick building nestled between two very much taller buildings.  Above the door a large black sigh with silver font read “Shiny Soul.” She whispered to herself. “This is it.”  She found a place to park a little up the way, along the side of the road and got out.

After putting money in the meter she walked slowly down the sidewalk towards the store. She stood in front, frozen. What am I doing here? Should I go in? What am I doing? Should I go home or go in? She nibbled her lip a little as she pondered if she was doing the right thing. She paced back and forth, walked towards the car then back again then away once more but finally turned around and walked back to the store.  She planned in her head what to say: nothing. What if he was married? She couldn’t have him find out she read love letters, that would be embarrassing for both and especially if her dad finds out. She’d go in and check it out perhaps, what would it hurt. See what he looked like and see what happens? She doubted herself and what she was doing; not even really sure what it was anymore or how it would work out. She sighed. She came all this way; she might as well go in even if she ended up saying nothing; after another deep breath and being a buddle of nerves she walked inside.   

A tiny bell sounded as she entered and a young handsome man came out of the back and greeted her. “Hello, Welcome to Shiny Soul. May I help you today? We do everything from sizing your foot, to polishing, repairing shoes, boots, and heels, you name it. We do it.  And as you can see we also sell shoes, all the major brands and some of our own designs as well. If you have a design we can make it for you too if you like. We want our customers to walk Seoul with a perfect sole.  A Shiny Soul!” He smiled cutely.

“I.. I’m just looking.” She grabbed a shoe from the display and turned it upside down to look at its sole, trying to act causal.

“Just let me know if you need any help.” He turned away to go into the back room.

She took a deep breath and stopped him from walking back into the office room by saying “Th-there is something. Maybe you can help me?”

“Yes?” He turned around.

“I’m looking for….” She paused as an older handsome gentleman in his mid 50’s with hair just above his shoulders, with a streak of silver hair in his wispy ebony bangs, in a long sophisticated looking black pea coat with a soft gray scarf folded neatly into the top his coat came from the back door.  He was looking down into his wallet, stuffing bills inside. “K, Kibum, I’ll be back in a few. Going to grab us some lunch. You wanted eggrolls and green tea right?” He looked up with a smile but it quickly faded and his eyes widened. Beginning to breathe heavily in disbelief he blinked then glanced to Kibum then back to the woman. His eyes began to water. “You.. you” He gasped barely audible and covered his mouth with his black gloved fingers. The older man stumbled back; in shock he almost fainted at the sight of her.

Kibum rushed to grab him. “Dad! Are you ok?”

“Dad?” She whispered to herself.

“Appa, are you alright? You are so pale like you saw a ghost. Hang on, I’ll get you some water” He grabbed a stool from behind the register counter and guided his father to sit down until his return; he disappeared into the back room.

Eunsook didn’t know what to do. She nibbled her lip and that made a tear slip from the senior.  “Hello” she greeted softly, then nervously looked around before returning eye contact.

 “You … You look just like him. Like… Like..” He panted and tried to clear his throat before his dry voice cracked as it trailed off “Like Jin…ki.” A tear slipped from his eye. So many old memories flooded into his brain like a tidal wave.

His son came bounding out of the back room with bottled water. Taemin’s shaky hands took it, and sipped. “Dad, you stay here, I’ll go get lunch. Your blood sugar must be low, must be why you are about to pass out. Sorry for the inconvenience madam.”

Eunsook replied “Not a probably at all. It’s alright, you go get lunch. I can stay with him until your return. To make sure he is alright.”

Taemin nodded “Yes, Yes that must be it. Food, I need food.” He lied to his son then paused glancing back at the woman. “I’ll help this customer while you’re gone. Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.”

She turned around to watch the man about her age leave. She slowly turned back around and he was still staring at her and his eyes had begun to puddle again. Before she could speak Taemin whispered “You’re Lee Jinki’s daughter aren’t you?” He blinked causing a lone tear to slip. “I’m sorry” He cleared his throat, composing himself the best he could.

“Yes” She replied softly

“Sorry my behavior must seem strange. I use to know your father. This just took be by surprise. You really do look just like him, a mirror image, a spitting image. Amazing. I knew Jinki would have great genes.” He smiled softly. She giggled and her smile made Taemin smile and breathily say in wonderment “That smile… I haven’t seen it in 40 something years.” He wiped a tear dangling from his lash.

“There is no need to apologize sir. He was a friend of yours? It’s understandable to be taken back after not seeing him, or someone that looks like him in so long. By the way I hear that a lot; that I look like my dad.”   

 “I don’t doubt it.” He chuckled. Feeling more comfortable now he finally greeted her “Hello, I’m Lee Taemin.” He reached for her hand. Shaking it he explained “Yes, your father and I were…” his smiled faulted for a split second knowing he couldn’t finish that sentence. But then smiled as he let go of her hand and remembered a happy memory he hadn’t thought of in years and started again “…were very close friends. Best friends. Thick as thieves we were. Always together running a mock. Grew up together…. We lost contact in our early twenties.” he trailed off, clearly hurt and hiding it. Seeing right through his pain, it broke Eunsook’s heart but she knew she couldn’t let him know she knew about their past or that she read some of their letters. It had to look natural their meeting so Taemin and her father’s secret could remain until her father was ready to tell her himself about Taemin, about being gay. Which he never will if this plan doesn’t work.

Her smile grew bigger with an idea. “Well, it’s his birthday soon. Would you like to come over and visit with him? It could be a surprise.”

Taemin smiled and airily replied “December 14th

“Oh, wow. You remember.”

“Of course I do. Your father meant a lot to me. One never forgets a person like Jinki hyung.” light wrinkles crinkled at the edges of his almond shaped brown eyes as he smiled brightly.

“My name is Eunsook, I’ll give you my number…”

With all his might he tried not to sob; Taemin in his bottom lip trying hard but his eyes welled up once more at the mention of her name.  Concerned she stopped talking and asked “Are you alright, Mr. Lee?” She came around the counter and rubbed his back soothing him. He chuckled weakly, as the tear finally rolled down his plump check. “You’re name is Eunsook.”

“Yes?” She hummed tenderly.

“I love that name, it’s very beautiful.”

“You do? Thank you.”

“He always wanted a daughter you know? I said if he did he better name her Eunsook. I’m just so happy; He kept his promise… He kept his promise.” The tears where ones of joy; he wiped them from his face and breathed deeply. “Wow, well, today was productive.” He chuckled nervously. He wrote down his number for her to take. “I’m nervous to see tok- I mean Jinki hyung after all these years. But I would love to see him.”

She smiled cutely at his slip up and pretended not to hear it. “I’ll set it up. We’ll be in touch. I’m so glad I stumbled upon an old friend of his. Dad will be over joyed I’m sure. “

“How is your mother?”

“She passed away actually. Cancer.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” He truly was. “Recently? Hyung must be so heartbroken.”

“About five years ago. And you if that was your son, are you married?”

“Not anymore. Divorce.” He looked away, fiddling with the bottle cap. Uncapping it eventually and taking another sip.

“I’m sorry.”

Taemin nodded and swallowed.

“Did you know my mother too?”

“I knew of her yes. Met her only a few times. She was very lovely. I liked her; She took good care of hyung when he was in the hospital. He was lucky to find a noona like her. I wasn’t so lucky.” He laughed awkwardly.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Lee”

“It’s ok. My ex-wife and I are friends now. In the end it worked out for the better.”

“Well, keep in touch. I’ll call you ok? And please call me if you need anything ok, Mr. Lee.?”

“Thank you. You’re very kind. Jinki raised such a great woman. I always knew he would.” He handed her the paper with his information on it.

She took it with a smile “You should see him with Gwiboon.”

“Who’s that?” He took another sip.

“My daughter” She said putting his number in her purse.

Almost spitting out his water he blinked in amazement and amusement, a bit of water dribbling down his chin he exclaimed “Jinki is a grandfather! Really? Oh that is so cute! I can so picture it.” he wiped his chin with the back of his hand as he giggled for a long while. His laughter contagious she started laughing too.

Just then the bell chimed as his son came back with lunch “I see you’re better?” Kibum smiled. “Food is here, nice and hot appa.”

Taemin couldn’t stop giggling over the cute images in his head of Jinki being a grandpa. “Kibum, this is Eunsook. Eunsook would you like to join us? I’d love to get to know more about you.”

“I’d love to but I really must be going. If I don’t get back to the butcher shop, since its lunch by now my husband is going to be swamped, he might get ticked I’m taking so long..”

“Oh but I haven’t even helped you with your shoes?”

“Oh, um. I was just window shopping. But I’m sure I’ll be back.” 

Taemin smirked proudly “Butcher shop? He owns his parents shop too?”

“I own it now.” She winked.

“Oh, that’s my girl! Love it! Well, his girl. But I named you.” Taemin chuckled.  Confused Kibum kept looking back and forth between his father and this mystery woman.

“It was very nice meeting you Mr. Lee.”

“It was an honor to have met you Eunsook. We’ll most definitely keep in touch.”He looked like he had something else to say but stopped.

“Yes?” She asked.

He couldn’t hold back, he hugged her and whispered in her ear. “Thank you. I’ve missed your smile… his smile.”

Eunsook, smiled and whispered “My pleasure Mr. Lee.” She pulled out of the hug and kissed his cheek as if he were family. “You take care of yourself. I’ll call you soon.”

The bell chimed as the door closed behind her; Kibum turned to his father “Who was that?”