smell the roses, taste the rain

something of the unexpected: a collection

“Careful, don’t want to trip over that fallen branch now, do we?” Minho warns, slowly guiding her through the thick forest. She barely manages, and moments later, she stops, not willing to move another step. Minho looks at her, his hand in hers, with a surprised expression on his face.

Jieun frowns deeply and whispers, “It’s impossible to get there, Minho… Please let me go back home.” Her eyebrows are creased together, and he knows that she’s more than just frustrated. He can never understand what it’s like to be blind, but he always tries. Carefully, he takes a step towards her and envelopes her in his arms.

“I really want to show the field of roses to you. It’s just a bit more ahead. Stay with me, Jieun?” His question comes more as a statement, and his lips press against her forehead. Warmth spreads from the spot at which he kisses, and a smile crosses her face. She can’t possibly stay mad at him.

“Fine, I will, but on one condition,” she bargains, “you have to carry me.” Jieun holds her arms out, and Minho chuckles softly, hoisting her onto his back, his elbows at her knees, her arms clinging around his neck. She smiles against his neck, nipping at it lightly, knowing that it tickles.

Minho laughs, “Jieun, stop that! It tickles!” But she doesn’t, and he has to live with it for the rest of the way. Fortunately, it takes only ten more minutes. Once there, he stops, breathless at the beauty of the scenery. There are roses everywhere, and there’s a musky smell of impending rain. Perfect, he thinks, and sets Jieun down. “We’re here, Ji.”

His fingers comb through her waist-long brown hair while she takes in the sounds and smells. She holds a finger out in the air, and nods. “It’s going to rain,” she says, and bends down to the ground, feeling the soil seep through her hands. “The soil’s fertile. Where are we?”

“A field of roses, Jieun,” he informs her, helping her to her feet and hugging her waist while explaining, “the roses are bright red, gorgeous, just like you. They smell wonderful, but I don’t want you to touch them. The thorns are going to prick your fingers, so I’ll hold one out for you, okay? And yeah, it’s going to rain. But you’ll get to taste it. Rain tastes nice.”

Jieun takes a deep breath, while he reaches to his side, still holding onto her, and plucks a rose. He holds it in front of her, and she takes a sniff, her eyelids shutting. She blocks out all other senses except for her nose, and the fragrance invades her lungs. Three words pop up in her mind immediately: fresh, young, intriguing.

“They’re all around us, Jieun. Just feel around, but don’t put pressure. Be careful.” Minho speaks into her ear, and the rain begins to fall. It’s nice to them, because it starts off as a drizzle. He hopes that it stays a drizzle, if not,  he’ll have to take her home. Jieun nudges him, “I’m not a child, Minho. And besides, if I’m hurt, I have you.”

“Sorry. I just…”

“Worry too much,” she finishes, laughing. Jieun bends slightly, smelling more of the roses. She feels the raindrops hit her shoulders, and she remembers what Minho said. She sticks her tongue out, and tastes the rain. With the smell of the roses and the taste of the rain, her senses go into an unexpected overdrive. Both are so intoxicating, and for a few moments she loses herself in the beauty of nature.

“Minho, this is… unbelievable,” Jieun turns towards him, almost tripping (but he catches her and holds her in his arms carefully), smiling widely. “I love it. Thank you for bringing me here.”

A pang of sadness overwhelms Minho just then. Why does she have to be blind? Why can’t her eyes be normal like everyone else’s so that she can appreciate the wonders of the world? She hasn’t even actually seen Minho before, and yet, she loves him. And he loves her, for what that’s worth. Occasionally he wonders how hard it must be to love someone you’ve never seen. And he always ends up without an answer. Jieun is special, he always tells himself, she’s strong. She’s the most angelic person he knows. He could go on forever, listing the reasons why he loves her. But for now, he just slides his arms around her waist and kisses her.

He can’t hide the tears that stream down his face, but because they fall together with the rain, Jieun can’t tell. Her blindness is a curse and a blessing, but now, it’s a blessing.

“The world is beautiful, Jieun, and so are you.” If only you could see it.