Strangers

Danger
chapter one strangers

You're on my heart, just like a tattoo.

The one thing on her mind wasn't the sound of birds chirping outside, it was the guy she was infatuated with one night in her best friend's house at a party.

It was the weekend before final exams, the dreaded week for all university students which put most kids on the edge of their seats. Hyeyeong was one of them. As a way for her to tuck her anxiety away for the night, Kiyoung, her best friend invited her over for a 'small get-together' which she learned later on that it was indeed not small. Regardless, Hyeyeong went away.

She could remember walking into the house with buzzing music blasting through the walls that it was vibrating with the noise. Strangers stealing glances in her direction as she made her way towards her best friend's bedroom, hoping to find her there.

When Kiyoung's voice popped up, she turned around startled but greeted her happily with a large smile pulled onto her lips.

"Hey, come here, I have a few people I want you to meet," Kiyoung announced and reached for her hand, gently guiding her into another room, designed like a family room, where unfamiliar faces were present.

The same glances had greeted her and she felt the inside of her stomach wanting to burst from nervousness.

"Everyone, this is my best friend Hyeyeong. Hyeyeong say hi~"

"Hello," she threw her hand up for a gentle wave. "It's nice to meet everyone, I hope we can have fun tonight."

"Oh right," Kiyoung chuckled softly and began introducing her to the group. "This is Jiyong, he's the guy I told you about before." Kiyoung gestured to a cheeky, older guy with youthful looks. 

"Pleasure to meet you, Hyejeong," Jiyong stuck his hand out while grinning.

Hyejeong paid the same respect as she gently shook his hand.

"And this is Eunyoung," Kiyoung gestured to a woman around her age with soft brown hair and cold eyes that sent chills to her bones.

"Pleased to meet you, girl," said Eunyoung, a small smile peeping at the corner of her lips, surprising Hyeyeong with a small giggle.

Noticing the interaction, Kiyoung chuckled and whispered towards her best friend, "We call her the ice princess, but she warms up instantly."

Before Kiyoung could introduce the last two, an older man, around Jiyong's age, approached her formally with a bow, and extended his hand. She held it out for the latter and was taken into complete shock when he laid a gentle and chaste kiss on the back of her hand. "Pleasure to meet you, princess. You can call me Daesung."

Hyeyeong's cheeks flush with a tint of crimson and bowed back, "Thank you, Daesung."

He winked quietly and returned to his seat.

The last stranger's name was a blur. Hyeyeong's eyes drifted towards his soft brown eyes which welcomed her warmly. The intensity of his gaze sent chills down her spine. 

"Hyeyeong."

"Hm?" She quickly looked away and glanced at her friend.

"Were you not listening?"

"I- oh, of course I was!" She nodded quickly and played along with a confident grin.

"Alright then let me get some snacks and drinks and have a kick night," said Kiyoung before she disappeared.

The stranger only stared at her as she went to find a seat near the group. A chuckle spilling from his perfectly thin lips.

It was the one moment she regretted lying to her best friend. But if it wasn't for this moment, she couldn't have met him any sweeter than this.

- - -

"Hyeyeong!" The barista from behind the counter shouted out her name which signalled that her coffee had been done. She approached the worker with a bright smile and thanked her before walking out of the coffee shop, happily sipping on her new latte.

Today was a brand new day, she had a day off and decided to go shopping to relieve any stress that was on her mind.

Kiyoung was working and so was Jiyong and everyone in their clique, though she wasn't sure about the stranger. She didn't want to be reminded of him but he was affiliated with the clique and that meant she had to live seeing his face every day even if it had her heart breaking into pieces.

Even now, Hyeyeong calls him the stranger. Hearing his name, saying his name, or even seeing it written was like venom to her brain.

She was glad everyone was busy even though it made her seem selfish. It had been awhile since she had any alone time to herself. Everything was peaceful, quiet, and the perfect breezy day only made her day even better.

Grabbing the sunglasses from the crown of her head, she placed it on the bridge of her nose and plugged her ear phones in as she strolled through the vivacious streets.

The noise was replaced by a soulful voice. She sung along while the stranger's face appeared into her mind the moment the chorus rolled in.

Don't look back, got a new direction. I loved you once, I needed protection.

You're still apart of everything I do, you're on my heart just like a tattoo.

"I'll always have you."