Why?

The Unlikely Duo

There were so many questions that Emily didn't have an answer for. Why was she being treated like this? Why did she always like the bad boy? Why couldn't anything ever go right? She sighed for the third time and finished collecting her books. A tear was sliding down her cheek as she stood up, and locked eyes with Park sonsaengnim.

"Emily-ah, who was doing this? Who was being rude to you? I won't accept that behavior in my class room," he demanded.

She thought about it for a minute. She liked Dongwoon and didn't want him in trouble. Plus, she figured, doing that would probably cause even more problems. "It was nothing, I just accidentally dropped them. Luckily, Son Dongwoon picked up a few before he left with his friends. I mean, his friends were probably laughing at me, but I guess it's expected, right Park sonsaengnim? Kamsahamnida," she said bowing, and walked passed him in order to get to lunch.

Just as she was about to open the door, he called out to her. "You know, it really means something if Dongwoon stopped to help you with your books. He must think your something special."

Emily's hand froze on the doorknob. She could almost hear the smile on sonsaengnim's face. "He must think I'm something special?" she muttered to herself. "That can't be possible... I'm no one special," she whispered, shrugging and opening the door. "See you after lunch. Annyeong."

She walked into the lunch room and was surprised by its size. The place was huge, but yet she was almost sure she wouldn't even find a place to sit. Food was placed on her tray and after she finished paying, turned around. Her eyes darting back and forth, she attempted to find a place to seat, but reached no success. Just then, one of Dongwoon's friends came over to her. She had no idea as to what he name was, and she really didn't care. They were all up to the same thing anyway. "Annyeong Emily," he began. "I noticed you have no place to sit. What a shame," he jeered. "There is an empty seat at our table next to Dongwoon, if you want to sit with us," he snickered, emphasizing his name. He must know that Emily liked him.

"No, that's okay," she replied. "I'll find somewhere to sit. Thank you, though."

"Good," he sneered. "We wouldn't have let you sit there anyway," he retorted as he slammed the tray from Emily's grasp, resulting in food flying and landing all over her clothes. He started to walk away, but stopped. "By the way, Dongwoon thinks you're by far the grossest and ugliest person there was to ever exist, so don't even bother," he callled over his shoulder and walked away.

Yet again, the tears started to sting at her eyes. Covering her face to muffle her sobs, she ran out of the lunch room. Dongwoon sat at his table, not a word escaping his lips. When his friend came back to the table, they started talking badly about Emily.

"Did you see her face when I hit her tray?"

"Ne! She looked so scared~ Keke."

"I love doing this, it's so easy to make her cry."

"Yah! Dongwoon-ah~ Next time it's your time to make fun of her."

All the faces at the table turned to him, and for one of the first times in his life, he actually felt nervous. "I guess so," he shrugged, placing a forkful of food into his mouth.

"You... guess so? Why don't you want to do it? Do you... like her? You don't do you? You better not?"

He felt his reputation on the line. "No," he scoffed. "Of course I don't. I'm just.. not in the mood today," he lied.

"Ah, okay. Whenever you feel up to it then."

"Ne, I will," he agreed, just as the lunch bell rang. The boys got their belongings together and stood up to head back to class. On their way back, they saw Emily standing at the vending machine.