My Best Friend

You're Not My Best Friend

 

“Sengi,” he called. I looked up knowing if I look forward, my eyes would meet his chest. His dark brown eyes and his eye smile shine in the light, along with his smile, as he looks down at me.  His light brown hair dripping with water and his clothes completely soaked. His light toned skin covered with water droplets and shaping his sharp features on his face. Knowing that just a while ago, it was raining cats and dogs outside. He was probably playing outside, wanting to get sick to skip school for a day or two.

“Oppa,” I called, “SungYeol oppa is going to get mad at chu.” I grinned a bit seeing the panic on his face. “Omo! Please don’t tell SungYeol hyung, I beg of you,” he said letting his lower lip out as he pouts. Seeing how ridiculous for someone two years older than me act like a five year old, I fulfilled his pleads. As I helped him clean up the wet trail he made, I accidently slipped, falling on my . He rushes up to me with a worried expression written all over his face. “Are you okay sweetie?” he asks as he stretches his arm out to me. I gladly took it and he pulls me into a hug. “You klutz, what am I going to do with you?” he said as he loosens his embrace.  

I look up to him with a smile, a smile filled with pure happiness. The happiness I would feel every time I am with him. Even just a few minutes with him can last my smile for a day. His jokes that never failed to make me laugh whole heartedly with his silly personality makes a good combination whenever my day is grey. “Baby,” he would call me. “How was your day?” he always says when he starts the conversation. He always means well, never wanting to hurt me.

Stubbornness is what I receive every time I tell him to eat. He should really stop lecturing me about skipping meals, when he, himself, would skip a meal or two a day. Seeing my eyebrows furrowed and my lips into a small pout, he would sigh and do what I asked him. Satisfied that he at least put some food into his skinny body, I would tell him that I didn’t eat either. As his eyebrows furrowed and his eyes glared at me, I would smile and stick my tongue out at him. “Yah!” he yelled. “Go eat now or else,” he threatened. My lips curled into a smile and did as he pleased, well sort of. I would come back with sweets and he would get mad at me even more. “Well, you didn’t tell me what to eat,” I would say when we go through this argument every day. Realizing how pointless all our arguments were would make me laugh. It’s always more fun when we meet up with the whole group. Sadly, those days stopped since we all have been busy dealing with school work. It’s just been short conversations with everyone. He doesn’t like it either, but what can we do? 

 I would always wonder how he manages to stay happy every day. “Because there are people who love me and care for me,” he would say. He being truthful always makes it easier for people to approach him. Take my word for it when I say not all people would get along with him. Even if he is a friendly guy and is easy to approach, there are people out there who bully him. Luckily, there aren’t that much people who do. He is an easy going guy. He’s someone you wouldn’t be afraid to open up to. If I were to interview every person he knows, they would say that he’s the best, or something like, “He’s so nice and sweet. He’s like a little innocent child who is always asking for candy.” To tell you the truth, those words didn’t come from me. I actually asked a couple of people and those words came from my friend YeEun. He being himself is enough for a person to go insane, but I manage to accept him for who he is, we all do. It seems that all the maturity went to his twin, leaving him as mature as a five year old. When he becomes serious, that’s when I know that I should do as he says. He is smart, maybe even smarter than I thought. There are the moments when he becomes serious. Luckily, they rarely come.

Whenever he’s there, I would never want to leave his side. No matter what, I’ll be there for him. Knowing about his condition makes me want to break down and cry my heart out. I don’t want him to leave me. He’s my source of happiness. He makes me feel like I belong in this world. I love him with all my heart and soul. If anything bad would happen to him, I would be nothing, but a shell. He means a whole lot to me. I would never leave him and he would never leave me. He’s my brother, not my best friend, my big brother.