Finale

Of Edges and Scars [Seventeen's fanfic contest]

 

“There is this secret that can’t be told to anyone else.”

 

 

A loud thud of books echoed through the room along with the sound of the bell ringing. A few small cheers of excitement and relief were heard through the room, not long before it was cut by a deep voice.

“I believe that is all for today, my students. Please do not forget that we will be having our English examination tomorrow, so studying is definitely necessary for your grades. Do not waste your time playing and goofing around, boys,” Mr. Joshua stated, emphasizing on his last sentence before he walked out of the class while fixing his glasses.

The class soon became wild and excited screams were heard after the said teacher went out. Everyone was delighted that the boring hours of school—to what most students call as—is finally over, and all of them began to shuffle out of their way from class.

However, there are a few students still inside the room with some... unfinished business.

“Put my books back to the locker. Like usual,” a firm voice commanded to a brunette named Wonwoo. The words came out from the tallest guy in class, Kim Mingyu; earning a small nod from the shorter boy before Wonwoo proceeds to gather the books as commanded.

A thin-haired male glanced over the two’s direction and heaves a quiet sigh as he heard the same old commanding tone coming out from Mingyu. Mingyu had always been treating Wonwoo as a servant, and the latter without hesitation would always obey the former’s orders. Many people were surprised that they weren’t brothers due to the close distance between the two.

Dino really felt bad for Wonwoo, who was actually his best friend slash crush since junior high school. After they enrolled to high school, everything changed in a blink of an eye until Dino could barely grasp what’s happening. Wonwoo began to distance himself from the boy and they never really talked properly anymore since then, despite the fact that they always encounter each other every day. Dino felt heartbroken because they seem to have gone back to the first phase of friendship; strangers.

Since then, Dino began to look after Wonwoo from afar, only to find himself break into pieces whenever he sees the brunette with Mingyu almost every time he turns his head. Seeing them so close to each other makes Dino feel that Mingyu had replaced his spot as the person who was always with Wonwoo wherever they go. Oh, how much he wished Wonwoo would at least initiate a conversation with him and have a small talk for once.

A faint slam of a metal piece was heard through the room, shaking Dino off his own thoughts. He looked over again to notice that Wonwoo was locking Mingyu’s locker and slung the taller’s bag over his shoulder. His blank gaze never leaving the two until they walked out the class together, disappearing from his sight.

A small sigh escaped from his lips. “Do you think it’s easy for me to see you with someone else?” Dino muttered faintly, feeling his heart shatter at the thought of those two together. Tears brimmed into his eyes and a tear rolled off his cheek without his realization.

“Hey, Di- are you crying again?”

Dino flinched at the question and turned his head to the source of the voice, only to find himself wiping his cheek with the back of his hand immediately whilst a small chuckle escape from his lips. “I’m alright, Vernon,” he replied to the boy, etching a smile onto his lips to assure him.

Vernon pursed his lips together as he kept his suspicious look onto his best friend. He understood how Dino felt; knowing he himself is experiencing the same thing towards the younger boy. Dino, after all this time, hadn’t realized Vernon’s affection towards him was because he likes him. However, the brown-haired boy was aware about Dino’s feelings towards Wonwoo, even though he never confessed about it. There won’t ever be a time where ‘Wonwoo’ isn’t mentioned whenever they are having a conversation, making Vernon melt into a puddle of jealousy every time.

Messing up his own bangs, Vernon released a defeated sigh, knowing well not to trigger the boy’s sadness further. “Don’t you dare cry over that jerk. He doesn’t understand about feelings. He’s probably heartless. Now stop crying,” he mumbled audibly for Dino to hear as he wiped Dino’s cheek with his thumb, forcing a smile to carve on his lips before he patted the boy’s cheek gently. “It makes you look weak. Let me take you home, now.”

Dino chuckled at Vernon’s last sentence. “Thanks, Vernon. I adore you!” he said in a sing-song voice as he retreat his hand away gently.

“Yeah, I know. Stop fronting and just tell me!” Vernon teased, earning a playful act of blushing from the latter and laughed together at their silliness afterwards.

Vernon always knew what makes him comfortable, Dino thought, and he was indeed grateful to have a best friend like him. Shrugging the thought off, they stepped off the building, leaving the school and making their way home.

As they head to Dino’s house, Vernon discreetly stole glances to the quiet boy beside him who was looking down onto his feet as they walked through the road. Maybe he still couldn’t erase Wonwoo from his mind, Vernon thought to himself. It was evident; no one can forget someone they’ve liked for a long time in such a short period.

Unable to handle the uncomfortable silence—well, that’s what Vernon thought—Vernon cleared his throat awkwardly as an initiation to break the ice; inwardly his efforts will pay off. “Hey, Dino. How about we study together for tomorrow’s exam? You know my ability in English. I bet you’ll get an excellent score!”

Dino turned his head to him and blinked once before he lowered his head again and nods as an answer, earning a frown from the latter. Vernon was determined to lighten the atmosphere up. He scanned his surroundings and his eyes widen in excitement along with a wide grin appearing on his lips once he saw an ice cream stand nearby. Vernon immediately left the boy’s side and ran towards it.

Not realizing that Vernon had left his side, Dino’s thoughts drifted off to the two figures he saw before he left the building. A sigh escaped between his lips, slumping in shoulders in thought as the sadness overcame him again. He couldn’t get his mind over those two, questions and what ifs appearing in his mind.

Dino paused on his tracks as a cone was shoved in front of him, widening his eyes for a moment before he followed his gaze to the hand holding it, seeing a wide grin displayed on Vernon’s lips. He quietly stared at the cone for a few moments, questioning inwardly when did the brown-haired boy left him to buy it for him. Probably when he was wandering about Wonwoo, he thought.

A sudden realization hit him that it has been quite a while since he last ate his favorite chocolate ice cream. The last time he recalled eating it was because Wonwoo treated him before.

“Dino!” A voice called out his name, coming out from Wonwoo’s mouth. “Here’s your favorite: super duper choco ice creamo!” Wonwoo exclaimed happily as he lend Dino a bowl with five scoops of chocolate ice cream in it.

A smile appeared on his lips as he received the bowl, carefully taking it with his small hands. “Thanks, Wonwoo,” he mumbled, looking up to the boy with brightened eyes. “Let’s dig in!”

Both of them ate the ice cream together peacefully. But they eventually experienced brain freeze due to them eating it too fast. They laughed at each other while looking at their chocolate smeared faces, contented with the moment.

“Hey, what are you thinking about?”

Vernon’s voice snapped Dino off his thoughts. Dino forgot that the former was there. He glanced at the ice cream in his hands and took it carefully, mumbling a small ‘thank you’ before he take his first of the ice cream.

Questions were running through Vernon’s head as he stared at his best friend for a good moment. Was he thinking about Wonwoo… again? He suppressed his urge to ask, eventually sighing as he onto his own ice cream.

The brunette knows very well that the person he has been eyeing for a while loves someone else. But he promised to himself if Dino is meant to be with him, Dino will be a great partner and Vernon would treat him as if he’s a precious gem that he discovered. He smiled at the thought and immediately holds onto Dino’s wrist, turning their direction towards Vernon’s house.

 

***

 

Wonwoo stood beside the shirtless Mingyu beside him who’s full of sweat due to the latter’s exercise session. Mingyu is considered athletic and his favorite sport is basketball, therefore there’s no denying that the taller has a well-built body. Even though he may not be the captain for the school’s basketball team, Mingyu’s an important player in the team; the Ace.

People who rarely see him like this would faint at the spot, but it was different to Wonwoo since he’s used to it already. Wonwoo wanted to scream at this face, telling him that he’s tired of his commands and requests, but he couldn’t. Two years since they lived together made him unable to gain his freedom. He felt so miserable, yet guilty at the same time.

 

The skies turned pitch black, indicating that it’s midnight already along with the full moon that appeared between the stars. Sounds of leaves rustling were heard through the quiet and cold night, but it was a different night for Jeon Wonwoo.

Wonwoo couldn’t take it anymore. His mind went crazy as he looked around, trying to find something that would satisfy his cravings. He could go insane. Wonwoo immediately ripped his clothes off and then ran out of his house to the nearest forest he could reach. During the journey, an excessive amount of hair started to grow moderately all over his body, making the boy groan once he glanced at it. Slowly, his human form turned into a shorter figure with fur all over; a wolf.

No one knew that Jeon Wonwoo was a wolf. Werewolf, technically, since his parents are a mixed blood of wolf and human. He didn’t want anyone to know his true form; therefore he never stepped out of his house after his curfew, especially during midnights. But this night was different for the boy. The full moon appeared in front of his eyes when he was home. No wonder he had been craving for raw meat for the whole day, he thought. He couldn’t step back. Wonwoo knew that very well.

Once the werewolf boy reached the forest, he immediately went up on a hill and howled loudly towards the moon. His eyes scanned his surroundings in hopes to find something that’s raw and meat, or he won’t be able to change back to this human form.

Suddenly, he smelled something, and his eyes widened after. Humans, he thought. What are they doing here? Wonwoo immediately turned around and ran. He didn’t want to hurt the humans, despite their meat smells delicious to his taste buds.

However, a few shots were heart and the bullets pierced through Wonwoo’s body. He growled in pain and fell onto the ground with a thud, unable to move due to the sudden attack.

“Finally I got you,” a deep voice cheered as he saw Wonwoo’s saddened situation, making the boy turn his head and squint towards the broad figure coming towards him.

Wonwoo growled again as he attempted to escape on his painful state, but he fell with a thud afterwards. The man crouched beside his form and took off the bullets from his body, eliciting dark chuckles as he heard Wonwoo growl in pain.

He couldn’t just stay still even though he’s in this state, Wonwoo thought. Anything could happen to the boy, and he needed to act fast or he’ll end up being the man’s precious victim. Without thinking about his surroundings, he immediately latches his sharp teeth towards the man’s nape, ripping the flesh apart without mercy. Wonwoo kept repeating his actions, not caring if the man’s screaming in agonizing pain or if his paws are now painted in blood. He had to protect himself, not realizing the fact that the man’s breath slowly turns shorter until none is left in his lungs.

“Dad! Dad, where are you?”

A voice shook Wonwoo off his thoughts. He stared at the bloody figure below him, immediately sitting on the cold ground as he shook his head, denying the fact that he actually killed the human. He tried to escape, but ended up hissing in pain once he realizes that the wound on his body is getting worse. Wonwoo unconsciously turned back into his human form, holding onto his leg that was attacked.

The voice became louder and faint steps were heard. Wonwoo couldn’t hear them because he was too dizzy to find out due to the blood starting to flow from his wounds.

Mingyu’s eyes widened in surprise as he saw a boy covered in blood. His eyes immediately shifted to the lying bloody figure beside the boy and he ran there in a speed, only to end up covering his mouth as he try to hold back his sobs. A tear rolled off the brunette’s cheek.

He couldn’t believe what’s actually happening. He shook his father’s body awake, in hopes to see a response. He began to panic when all his father’s body parts are limp then checked his breath.

None.

“No, this isn’t happening…” he muttered under his breath, tears beginning to flow off his eyes. He eventually let out choked sobs, realizing that his father is now long gone. First it was mom due to the accident. Now.. him? He thought to himself, clutching onto his father’s bloody hands tightly. He’s now… alone.

Seeing the boy mourning over the man’s figure, Wonwoo immediately tried to move quietly, planning to escape from the two figures. He tried his best to tone down his hisses at every subtle move he was making while glancing back constantly to make sure the boy wasn’t looking at his attempts.

Mingyu pursed his lips together and looked up to the exposed figure in front of him that’s slowly moving away. He immediately realized that the boy was trying to escape. His eyebrows furrowed together as the anger slowly boils up inside him before he stood up and stomped towards the boy and stopped Wonwoo’s actions.

Wonwoo gulped quietly. Seeing Mingyu’s expression signaled him that the boy had finally realized what happened to what he assumed, the boy’s father.

“You,” Mingyu said sternly, looking down at Wonwoo with an angered expression and Wonwoo couldn’t do anything but shiver a bit under his cold tone

 Mingyu quickly scanned the boy from top to toe and realized that he looked like the same age as him. He also found out that there were a few gunshot wounds on his body. Dad was a wolf hunter. Why did he shoot him? He thought for a moment, confused on what’s going on.

Mingyu cleared his throat and pointed towards his father’s corpse, trying his best to hold back his tears. “What happened to my father?” he asked, keeping his cold tone.

Wonwoo looked down, pursing his lips together as the guilt slowly creeps up towards him. Seems like he finally figured it out, Wonwoo thought. Quietly but audible enough for Mingyu to hear, he muttered, “I-I’m sorry…”

Mingyu widened his eyes, the realization slowly sinking to his mind. The wounds, the blood… he’s a… werewolf…?

“What are you?” Mingyu gritted his teeth as he gripped onto Wonwoo’s shoulders tightly, making the latter hiss quietly because of the wound Mingyu accidentally held onto. Tears began to roll off Mingyu’s eyes. He couldn’t believe that his assumptions were true. “What are you- screw that question,” he shook his head abruptly before staring back into Wonwoo’s eyes with full of anger; his hands shaking. “I don’t care who you are, but why did you kill my dad?!”

Wonwoo’s guilt is eating him inside. He looked down onto the ground as he held Mingyu’s hand that was holding his wound, feeling the pain shoot through his flesh again. “I-I’m s-sorry…” he stuttered, unable to look at the boy onto the eyes due to the guilt.

Mingyu scoffed at his words. He let go of his grip, making Wonwoo inwardly sigh in relieve that the pain decreased. He gave a cold look towards the blood-covered boy and spoke between his gritted teeth. “You better tell me what’s going on or I’ll ing tell the police.”

His threat made Wonwoo squirm and the latter nodded abruptly at his request. Wonwoo began to tell Mingyu about what happened and about himself. Basically, he told everything that no one ever knew about him; his darkest and deepest secret. Mingyu listened attentively and couldn’t help but scoff again as he muttered out those words at and emphasizing on every word of his sentence.

“Be my servant for a lifetime or I’ll spread this to everyone; especially those around you.”

 

“Towel… towel!”

Wonwoo snapped off his thoughts, shaking his head subtly before he followed his gaze towards the source of the voice, only to see Mingyu staring at him with his hand on his waist from afar; an angered expression evident on his face. “Where’s my towel?” he yelled.

“Oh, um,” Wonwoo looked around and took Mingyu’s towel on top of the table beside him before he ran towards the taller boy, lending the towel as requested. “Here you go.”

Mingyu snatched the towel off Wonwoo’s hands, making the boy flinch slightly in surprise. “I yelled for a year. What the heck is going on in your mind?” he asked sarcastically while he proceeds to wipe off the sweat off his body.

Wonwoo could only look down and purse his lips together, releasing a quiet sigh as he shook his head at the boy’s question without a word; earning an eye-roll from the taller boy.

“Whatever. It’s not important for me anyway,” Mingyu stated as he threw the damp towel towards Wonwoo—which was caught swiftly by the shorter boy.

Mingyu motioned Wonwoo with his index finger towards the house and commanded, “I’m hungry. Make me some bread with strawberry and blueberry jam.” Before he left Wonwoo and entered the house, slamming the door behind him.

Wonwoo sighed again, knowing he couldn’t back off. Without a word, he entered the house and carried out Mingyu’s order.

 

***

 

“I’m very surprised, students. Everyone did well for the examination. Mansae!” Mr. Joshua cheered as he waved a stack of papers with a high average of scores. Other than the students’ great achievements, Mr. Joshua’s love, Mr. Jeonghan, accepted his love; therefore double the excitement. “Now that we’re finished, we’re going to divide everyone into pairs for the group project!”

All of the students started to groan and cooed at Mr. Joshua’s statement. Well, being paired up with the same gender was no fun unless their partners were girls. Too bad it was an ‘only boys’ school and no girls are allowed inside the building.

Mr. Joshua flashed a bright smile as he saw the students’ reactions. “It will be fun working together with your friends, students,” he said, earning the same response like before.

Suddenly Vernon raised his hand. “Sir, we can choose our partners, right?” He asked with a wide smile. He was ecstatic when he heard that they’ll be divided into pairs, and Vernon really wanted to be Dino’s partner so they can stay up all night; just the two of them talking and laughing while doing their project together.

“No,” Mr. Joshua shook his head. “We’ll pair you up using the secret number box game!” Then he proceeds to lift up a small box filled with small rolled papers inside it. “There will be twenty numbers and all numbers have their own pair. Example,” he coughed subtly. “If you get number three, your partner will be the one who holds the same number as you.”

Vernon frowned, much to his expectations. It seems like there is no hope for him to be partners with Dino; considering he is usually unlucky when it comes to randomized pairs. Inwardly, Vernon hopes his luck is on his side today.

As the class went chaotic with the randomized pairs, Mingyu was busy drawing on his book. Beside him, Wonwoo was sleeping peacefully as usual. That guy can sleep anywhere; especially when his seating position is at the back with the air conditioner near him.

However, Seungkwan, the Jeju Island boy, noticed that Mr. Joshua was scanning the class. He then turns to Wonwoo and patted his shoulder for him to wake up. It earned a sharp look from the latter, but he just shrugged and motioned Wonwoo to pay attention because Mr. Joshua was looking at the students.

“So now, one by one shall come to the front and get their own number. Don’t open before all your friends get theirs. We’re going to open them simultaneously. Now Vernon,” Mr. Joshua motioned the said boy to come forward as he opened the box’s lid. “You may pick out your number.”

Vernon nodded at his request and stood up, walking towards the teacher’s table and picked a random rolled paper before he walked back to his seat and sat down, his nerves getting into him. He’s really curious what number he got and what number will Dino get. Inwardly, Vernon kept repeating lines similar to please be Dino, please be Dino, please be Dino…

After everyone got their numbers and was seated back in their own chairs, Mr. Joshua commanded, “Now open your papers!”

Everyone followed his command and a few sighs were heard after the papers were folded back together so the other students won’t see. On the other hand, Dino was afraid he’ll get the same number as Wonwoo, or even Mingyu. He hopes that he’ll at least be partners with Vernon, his best friend. Or maybe Hoshi, the clever dance boy.

“I’ll announce the numbers,” Mr. Joshua stated and cleared his throat. “Number one!”

Two students stood up and they were Hoshi and Minghao. Dino bit his lower lip and got more nervous since Hoshi isn’t in his list of partners anymore. Crossing his fingers together, Dino hopes he’ll be paired with anyone but Wonwoo and Mingyu.

“Number two!”

Jun and Dokyeom stood up at the same time after the announced number. Dang, Jun’s nice, but he’s already partner-taken, Dino thought to himself. Well, another one was out of the list.

“Number three!”

Vernon stood up. He inwardly hopes his partner meets his expectations. However, it was soon crashed when he looked behind and found Seungkwan standing up as well.

His expectations were drowned in front of him. He didn’t expect he’ll be partners with the Jeju boy. He really wanted to be with Dino, not him. Well, it doesn’t necessarily mean he doesn’t like Seungkwan, but, you get his point.

Soon, all the numbers were called and the last number came. “Seems like this one is already obvious,” Mr. Joshua chuckled before he announced. “Number twenty!”

The last two uncalled students stood up starting from Wonwoo then followed by Dino who stood up a bit later because he felt the tension between them. As they glanced at each other, they immediately looked away; completely not expecting this would happen.

Why must it be him? Both of them thought to themselves before they sat down again, completely placed in an awkward situation.

Vernon who figured out it was actually the both of them began knocking his forehead against the table, not caring if he’ll earn a bruise with his actions.

On the other hand, Mingyu was furious because he couldn’t accept his servant Wonwoo had to be partners with someone else. He had to be partners with Wonwoo so he could order him whenever he wants. Unable to hold back his anger, Mingyu immediately stood up; making the entire students look at him as the class went silent.

“Sir, may I change partners?” Mingyu asked politely through gritted teeth. He didn’t want to be partners with Woozi. He’s cold to him- wait, scratch that. He’s cold to everything.

Vernon inwardly cheered and turned towards the teacher. “Yeah, me too, sir!” he agreed, not realizing that Mingyu raised an eyebrow at him but he shrugged the boy’s actions off nevertheless.

Mr. Joshua shook his head with a smile. “No,” he firmly stated. “Once a partner, always a partner.”

Dang it, both of them thought at the same time as Mingyu sat down with a loud screech onto his chair while Vernon slumped his shoulders sadly.

Wonwoo and Dino thought the same thing after hearing Mr. Joshua’s answer. They don’t have a choice now, do they? Both of them took a deep sigh. Well, it’s not going to be that hard, right?

“So, the topic of this project is ‘When I Grow Up’,” Mr. Joshua cleared his voice as he stood up from his chair. “Everyone knows that you all will go to college and leave this all-boys school, right?” his questioned, earning a few nods from the students. “Well, I want all of you to write down all your dreams and ambitions along with the good memories you had in partners so that will make a good friendship!”

The students groaned, not really agreeing with the teacher’s instructions. However, Dino was quite contented with the project. He will have his chance to be with Wonwoo again and he’s definitely anticipating this project; despite he’s also figuring out ways so it won’t be awkward because it’ll be just the two of them together.

A loud echo of the school bell rang, signaling it’s time for lunch. Everyone packed their stuffs and proceeds to get out of the class towards the cafeteria to fill up their empty stomachs.

Mr. Joshua was still inside the room fixing his papers until a shadow came up to him. He raised his head towards the source and fixed his glasses as he noticed the figure that’s blocking the light.

“Oh, it’s you, Vernon,” he chuckled quietly before he places all of his stuffs inside his bag. “Is there anything that I could help you?”

“Sir, why can’t I change my partner? I’m not even close to him!” he protested. “Why can’t you agree with Mingyu and I’s request so we could switch partners? It’s more efficient that way!”

Vernon frowned. He hopes that Mr. Joshua will fulfill his request. He doesn’t want Dino to fall for Wonwoo anymore. It’s enough for him seeing Dino being sad over Wonwoo, and now this?

Mr. Joshua got his point and displayed a knowing smile at the boy as he stood up while slinging his bag over his shoulder. “Do you like Dino, Mr. Chwe?” he asked while ruffling the said boy’s hair.

“W-what? No!” Vernon retorted as he retreated Mr. Joshua’s hand from his head. “I don’t like Dino, sir. I-it’s just because he’s my only friend in class and I’m used to be with him doing things together,” he mentally smacked himself for stuttering.

He can’t afford being nervous in front of Mr. Joshua or he’s screwed. “And as you can see, Wonwoo is closer to Mingyu. Do you get my point, sir?”

“Oh, I do get your point, Vernon child,” he chuckled, holding onto Vernon’s shoulders. “But you know what? You guys are in the same school and same class, so you can still look around for Dino. What’s wrong if you let go of him to make friends with Wonwoo and you make friends with Mingyu?”

Being more than friends for those two, Vernon inwardly thought, sighing a bit at Mr. Joshua’s explanation.

“Now I believe I should take my leave,” he let go of the boy’s shoulder after giving it a few light pats. “I’ll see you around, Mr. Chwe,” flashing a smile, Mr. Joshua walked off his desk and went out of the class, leaving Vernon who still couldn’t comprehend what’s actually happening.

 

***

 

Dino was grabbing lunch in the cafeteria. The menus were nice today: spaghetti, crème soup, milk, and tangerines. A bright smile was plastered on his lips while he thought how nice it’ll be on his taste buds.

However, his bright smile disappeared when someone gripped onto his shoulder and pulled him back, making Dino have to hold onto the tray tightly so the food won’t fall off. Dino glanced over the hand to see the one figure he’s been hoping he won’t be seeing for the rest of the day.

“What do you want?” Dino had to look up to Mingyu due to his height.

Mingyu grasped Dino’s shoulder. “I don’t like you being partners with Wonwoo.”

Dino inwardly sigh. He knew this was going to happen. He cleared his throat and lifted up his chin slightly, despite he’s actually very scared inside. “Oh, so what’s the big deal? It’s just for the group project.”

Mingyu couldn’t hold his anger anymore. He flipped Dino’s tray and all of his lunch were at the edge about to fall off. However, a quick breeze was felt between them and all of Dino’s food were placed on the table neatly without a scratch.

Mingyu turned his head towards the gadfly. “What are you doing?” he gritted his teeth, letting go of his hold onto Dino’s shoulder as he gave a sharp glare at Wonwoo.

“No, what are you doing?” Wonwoo replied, beginning to feel his anger boil inside him. “Just leave him alone, Mingyu. It’s just for the group project and we can do it at our place together.”

Our place? Dino asked to himself. So after all these times, they live under the same roof? Sleep together? Eat together? Shower together?

No one knew that they lived together because both parties were very secretive. Dino can’t help but look at the boy who just splattered out those words from his mouth. Are you saving me, Wonwoo…? He couldn’t believe that this is actually happening.

Our place?” Mingyu scoffed at Wonwoo’s statement, keeping his sharp look onto the boy. He can’t believe that Wonwoo is actually doing this. “It’s my house and you are nothing. And now,” he motioned to Dino using his chin. “You’re trying to be a hero for someone when you hurt and kill people?”

He did not just say that, Wonwoo thought as he clenched his jaw, curling up his hands into a tight fist as he heard Mingyu’s words.

“Look at you,” Mingyu continued. “You have a human body but you’re just an evil wo-”

A loud thud was heard when Wonwoo punched Mingyu’s cheek hardly, making the said boy lay down on the floor due to the impact. Gasps were heard through the area as the people there witness what just happened.

Dino took a few steps back from the sudden action, his body shaking from shock as he kept his eyes on Wonwoo; completely in disbelief. Did Wonwoo just…?

“I told you not to say anything,” Wonwoo grumbled under his breath as he approached the lying figure in front of him, looking down onto Mingyu who’s holding his cheek where he just hit.

Mingyu shot him a glare but managed to plaster a smirk between his lips. “Say what? That you’re a we-.”

Wonwoo couldn’t hold back his anger anymore. He hovered above Mingyu and began to throw punches at the said boy, earning pained groans from the figure under him who was defending himself by covering his face using his arms.

Mingyu couldn’t afford getting himself to be seen weak by the people around them, so he stood up and gave a hard kick onto Wonwoo’s waist, earning a loud grunt from the target. Wonwoo stopped his attacks and seeing Mingyu had a chance to attack the unguarded boy, he threw a punch onto Wonwoo’s stomach, earning loud gasps from the witnesses.

Wonwoo curled himself up to avoid Mingyu’s attacks. Suddenly, he felt his arm tingling and his eyes widened when he noticed how his hair is starting to grow on his arm. He cursed quietly, figuring out a way to escape this chaos and he must not be seen in his true form.

Wonwoo peeked through his bangs and squinted at Mingyu, noticing that he’s quite unguarded around his head. He lurched forward and smacked Mingyu’s head, making him faint and lie down on the floor helplessly with blood flowing slowly out of his head.

Seeing that Mingyu had passed out, Wonwoo began to take steps backward and then ran, leaving the injured boy as he seeks his escape. The students who were there immediately delivered Mingyu to the school’s health unit for him to give him proper treatment and make sure he’s fine. Soon, the crowd began to scatter away as if nothing happened.

Meanwhile, the person who has been there watching up close from the start was sitting alone at a table in the cafeteria once the school bell rang. He didn’t care if he was late or get detention. He’s still trying to comprehend what just happened earlier.

Dino folded his hands together under his chin as he let out a sigh. He was wondering if the fight was because of him and he can’t stop thinking about it. What was Mingyu actually trying to say? He thought to himself, another sigh escaped from his lips at his own question that cannot be answered.

Pursing his lips together, Dino decided to think about it later and head back to class once he heard the school bell rang once again, indicating the exchange of subjects. He stood up, placed his hands on his pockets and walked off the cafeteria with unanswered questions lingering inside his mind.

 

***

 

Lying down onto the comfy mattress, Dino scrolled onto his notifications and opened one that contains a lot of notifications which is from the class’s group chat. He let out a sigh as he realized that most of his classmates were talking about the incident in the cafeteria a week ago. It’s still a hot gossip in school and no one is able to deny the gossip because there were witnesses. Thankfully there were no traces of videos and strangely, all the CCTVs in the cafeteria weren’t working during the incident.

While scrolling down the chat, Dino’s eyes widened when he saw that one of his classmates announced that Mingyu was hospitalized, and rumors said that he went into a coma. Well, it wasn’t a surprise considering the impact and areas that were hit, he thought to himself.

Dino let out another sigh when he saw that a few of his classmates were searching for Wonwoo. The wanted boy disappeared after the incident and there were no traces found. His friends tried visiting his house as well, but there were no signs of people occupying the house, earning a loud sigh escaping from Dino’s lips once again.

Where could he be? Dino thought, the same question he has been asking himself repeatedly since Wonwoo’s disappearance. He worries about the boy’s well-being, if he has been getting great meals and enough sleep and more. He tries to be positive by thinking that Wonwoo went back to visit his parents and that somewhat helped lessen his concerns.

While he was rolling on his bed back and forth thinking of Wonwoo’s existence, something hard landed on Dino’s forehead, earning a pained groan from the resting boy. He looked to see it was a rock with a sticky note wrapped around it.

Dino blinked a few times at the small thing. He sat up on his bed and opened the crumpled paper, widening his eyes when he saw the handwriting written on the small paper. “Wonwoo?” he whispered to himself as he read the content.

Why aren’t you sleeping?

I’m in front of your house.

Can you come out for a moment?

He also noticed that it was written in green ink, making his jaw drop slightly. But Dino immediately shook his head after. “Wonwoo’s favorite color is indeed green, but he would never come to my house again, wouldn’t he?” he said to himself before tossing the crumpled paper away to the trash bin before he lied down on the bed again, covering himself with the blanket as he lull himself to slumber.

 

“Dang, is he really sleeping?” Wonwoo scratched his head in confusion as he looked up to Dino’s room from below, knowing that his bed is not far from the window for the rock to at least hit his form. “It’s still eleven. He doesn’t usually sleep this early,” he mumbled to himself, heaving a quiet sigh at the thought of the boy already headed off to dreamland.

It has been years since he last came to Dino’s house. How long has it been again? Two years? Three? It seems like it was since their graduation day where Dino invited him to have a celebration at his house along with a sleepover. They used to do fun things together. Technically in this area, since it’s near to their school, most of the people who live here don’t live with their parents since it’s houses for the students at their school, and it’s an all-boy neighborhood—but females are still allowed to walk around the area freely, of course.

Wonwoo’s guts is telling him that Dino wasn’t fully asleep yet. Looking around his surroundings, he immediately climbed the tree that’s near Dino’s window once he checked it was strong enough to hold him until the top. He was determined to see the boy tonight.

 

Dino was halfway to slumber until a few rustling noises disturbed his peaceful sleep. He furrowed his eyebrows together and tried to ignore the noise, but it was no use since he can’t sleep with noises around him. He immediately stepped out of the bed and scanned his room, checking the source of the noise. Dino face palmed once he realized that the glass door towards the terrace was still opened. How forgetful of him.

When he reaches the door, a shadowed figure appeared behind the door. Dino’s eyes widened in shock and he fell onto his back, scooting backwards once he realizes that the unknown figure was getting closer to him.

Dino was about to let out a scream until he realizes the figure who entered his room with messy hair and crumpled shirt was the person whom he has been thinking just earlier.

“W-Wonwoo?” he stuttered, fixating his gaze onto the boy who’s now patting his shirt off while coughing subtly.

Wonwoo turned his head as he heard Dino’s call, flashing a sheepish smile as he finished cleaning himself off. “You know, the trees were pretty hard to climb,” he pointed towards the door, the trees, specifically, before he approached Dino who was still lying on top of the floor.

Dino was still in disbelief. Wonwoo was right in front of his eyes and he hopes this was a dream so he won’t wake up forever just to see his face with his own eyes. His thoughts were immediately shaken off when Wonwoo approached him and pulled the boy into his arms, hugging Dino’s small form tightly, making Dino’s dreams crash into reality.

Dino was surprised at his actions. After Wonwoo’s disappearance, he still couldn’t believe that Wonwoo actually came to him and now he’s inside his arms. He slowly wrapped his arms around the taller boy to return the hug, a bit hesitant, but was more assured when he felt that he can touch him. He can feel Wonwoo’s warmth against him.

It has been years that Dino’s missing his hugs, and he’s contented that it’s still the same like before, cozy and comfortable. Wonwoo’s scent is still the same. So Wonwoo-like; just the way he likes it. Dino buried his face onto Wonwoo’s shoulder, sniffling slightly because he can finally feel Wonwoo against him again after all these times.

Wonwoo broke the hug after a while, earning a slight disappointed look on Dino’s face because he still would like to stay in his arms longer.

“I…” Wonwoo began to mumble, inhaling a deep breath as he breathed out while going onto his knees, bowing apologetically towards the smaller boy. “I’m sorry.”

Dino panicked slightly and tried to lift Wonwoo up from his position but failed since Wonwoo’s taller and heavier than him and he’s also in a position where he couldn’t stand up. “No, i-it’s okay, Wonwoo,” he mumbled, tugging the boy’s shirt to motion him to stand up.

“It’s not like that…” he sighed quietly, earning a confused look from Dino. Wonwoo braved himself to stare into Dino’s eyes, inwardly contented that the flash in his eyes still manages to make his heart pound against his chest. “I have many things to tell you but please don’t get mad at me. I’m really sorry for hiding everything from you. And to add that, ignoring you as well,” he mumbled, pursing his lips together in guilt.

Dino blinked a couple of times and shook his head, retorting to Wonwoo’s statement with a small smile. “You do know you can talk about it to me from the start right?”

And that was enough to assure Wonwoo that Dino will understand him.

Wonwoo helped Dino stood up and both of them sat on top of Dino’s bed. He began explaining everything without a single detail left out. How he is a werewolf, how he killed Mingyu’s father and had to be Mingyu’s servant, how he didn’t want Mingyu to tell anyone especially Dino because he’s afraid that Dino will hate him, how he actually ignored Dino because he doesn’t want to hurt the smaller boy. And mostly, how he loved Dino since the first time they build their friendship.

Dino was speechless, confused, angered, yet ecstatic at the same time. All those feelings mixed up together made Dino unable to say anything because he’s trying to process the information through his head. A few tears rolled off his cheek as he heard Wonwoo’s explanation attentively. All the things he thought were opposite; he thought the boy loved Mingyu, but it was all just his stupid own thoughts.

But he was still unsure of one thing.

“You can’t be a werewolf,” Dino shook his head. “That’s impossible. Werewolves don’t exist. And you’re in a perfect human form. How could you be a wolf? You must be lying!” he cried in disbelief.

Wonwoo sighed quietly, knowing he’ll get this reaction from the boy. He was well prepared when he decided to pay a visit to Dino’s house. Glancing out the window, he blinked when he saw the moon rising—full moon to be exact. And it was a perfect timing for him to make Dino believe him.

Wonwoo gripped onto Dino’s wrist gently and pulled him outside towards the terrace, the cold wind hitting Dino’s skin makes Dino have to cover his body to warm himself up. However, he tried to ignore the feeling and anticipates what Wonwoo is trying to show him.

The former looked up to the moon and inhaled his breath before he turned back to Dino, letting go of his hand, making the warmth leave Dino’s wrist. “Please don’t be scare of me…” he muttered quietly but audible enough for Dino to hear.

Slowly, Wonwoo let out a few grunts when hair starts to grow on his arms, followed by the ones on his legs and body. His ears changed into pointy ones and he got down onto fours, his body slowly transforming into a larger and broad one; making his clothes rip into pieces. Wonwoo’s regular human teeth turned into canine teeth and his noise transformed into a pointy one. Finally he’s in his full wolf form for Dino to see.

Dino’s jaw dropped at what he’s witnessing at the moment. His crush really turned into a werewolf. He glanced onto the furry figure’s eyes and can see the same flash he always sees on Wonwoo’s eyes. Trying to grasp reality on his hold, he crouched down onto the figure in front of him and reached his hand out, earning a soft gasp when Wonwoo replied it by nuzzling his nose against his palm. He really isn’t dreaming.

Wonwoo mentally sighed, relieved that Dino finally sees through him, but he didn’t want the boy to see him in his wolf form. Therefore, he immediately ran inside Dino’s room and hid under the blankets as Dino followed after him. Wonwoo turned himself back into his human form; only, he hid under the blankets because of a relevant reason: he’s not wearing any clothes.

“Um…” Wonwoo shifts awkwardly on Dino’s bed. “Do you have some… spare clothes I can wear?”

Dino blinked a few times before the realization sinks in, making his cheeks turn into a shade of red at Wonwoo’s question. “Ah, hold on.”

He awkwardly rummages through his wardrobe closet to find his large clothes for Wonwoo to wear. Once he found it, he tossed it to the boy on the bed and immediately turned his back against him, feeling a bit shy.

Wonwoo who was witnessing Dino’s embarrassment just chuckled quietly while placing on the clothes Dino gave him, amused at his reaction despite the fact that both of them even had seen their exposed selves before. Well, maybe this was different since they both had finally confessed to each other.

“I’m done,” Wonwoo mumbled and Dino immediately turned around, patting his cheeks together to calm himself down. The taller boy chuckled and patted the empty space beside him, motioning Dino to sit beside him. Dino immediately shuffled his way and sat properly on top of the bed, face-to-face with Wonwoo.

“I didn’t want you to hate me, so I never told you what happened all these times,” Wonwoo started, rubbing his nape sheepishly as he glanced at Dino. “I never stopped loving you, though. I just… didn’t want you to get hurt, which is why I distanced myself away from you,” Wonwoo looked out, still feeling guilty for not trusting Dino when he knows fully that Dino’s the person who knows him best.

Dino now understands everything and he doesn’t need further explanation. He wiped his own tears before holding onto Wonwoo’s hand, a sincere smile carved on his lips. “I missed you very much, you know,” he admitted, chuckling at his own words.

Wonwoo returned his smile and intertwined their fingers together. “So, you’re in love with a werewolf?” he teased with a knowing yet proud smile, earning an eye-roll from the embarrassed boy.

“Where is the lie?” Dino said in a sing-song voice.

Both of them laughed together at their own silliness. It was great that now there are no secrets kept between them. Everything’s now seen clearly and there are no more misunderstandings. They’re contented with it.

“But I’m curious,” Wonwoo suddenly asked. “How’s Mingyu?”

“Well…” Dino trailed off a bit awkwardly, shrugging his shoulders. “He got a coma since the day you guys left, rumors said.”

Wonwoo punched onto the mattress, groaning at the thought as the guilt slowly creeps up to him again. “I should’ve just let him tell the truth. All of this wouldn’t happen if so. Dang it!” he cursed under his breath, quite angry at himself.

Dino tried calming him down by scooting close and rub his shoulders soothingly in an attempt to help him control his emotions. “Wonwoo, it’s not your fault,” he assured.

Wonwoo glanced at Dino while biting his lower lip. He has no choice to stay here anymore. He needs to move from a far place before his identity could get exposed. But he doesn’t want to be separated from Dino as well. It’s already suffocating seeing him every day but unable to spend their time together for years.

“I know this may sound crazy but,” Wonwoo spoke quickly, immediately inhaling and exhaling to calm himself down. “Dino, I have to disappear from this town and find a new one for me to stay. I can’t afford living here anymore.”

Dino didn’t try to hide the frown on his face. Wonwoo chuckled quietly at his reaction and placed his index fingers on the edge of his lips before pulling them up, curving them into a smile.

“I wasn’t finished yet,” he continued. “I was wondering if you would like to come with me…” Wonwoo trailed off, rubbing his nape sheepishly. “Um, will you?”

The asked boy blinked a couple of times, processing the new information that has just been given. Seeing his reaction, Wonwoo panicked a little and added, “I-I mean, if you don’t want to it is fine as we-”

“No, I’ll come with you,” Dino cut his sentence, making Wonwoo immediately shut up at his answer. Dino chuckled and held their hands together, staring at Wonwoo’s dark orbs with an assuring smile. “If two people were meant to be together, they’ll eventually find their way back. Don’t you agree?”

Wonwoo smiled widely at his response. He pulled Dino’s face close to his by his nape and crashed their lips together, pulling him into a soft yet loving kiss. Dino whose eyes were widened in surprise felt his heart pound against his chest loudly, even thinking Wonwoo could hear his heartbeat, when both of their hearts are beating together in sync. He slowly fluttered his eyes closed and returned the kiss, moving their lips together in a silent tune only they could hear on the quiet night.

 

Once the morning came, both of them had finished packing the stuffs they need to bring. Most will be left here in the town, since they probably won’t need too much luggage. Wonwoo and Dino stared at each other for a while after they locked the door and both of them smiled, nodding to one another before taking it as a cue for them to step off the house, indicating that they’re taking their leave.

Memories being left behind them, already in the past but most definitely won’t be forgotten. It’s time for them to forget all the bad things and move on to a better future for them to see, spent together in each other’s arms.

And that is already enough for them.