Chapter 79

Youngest of Pieces: World Invasion (12)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The camera put on the car’s dashboard is filming Hannah behind the steering wheel. It’s a rainy Sunday and Hannah has just gotten Emelia’s help to stick the camera in place and turn it on; it’s Emelia’s tiny camera, with great quality that is borrowed for today’s YouTube filming. Maria had gotten the idea after Showtime, liking the comments about fans loving how 5 Pieces brought the karaoke to wherever they went, and Maria loves to sing in the car so after spending a lot of time watching Carpool Karaoke; singing in the car, she had said she will do it. And with Hannah now having a driving’s licence, a lady who lets Maria choose the music, the leader has decided to have the two of them film their own karaoke time in the car. Neither Emelia nor Julia would let Maria sit next to them and sing to songs.

To sit alone in the car, being filmed though it is their own filming, Hannah is feeling a bit awkward when waiting for Maria to come. She acts casual, holding her phone in hand while it is connected to her car to be in charge of what music to play. Before coming here, she went to the saloon to get a natural makeup look and to do her hair. In the car she has been playing random music from her phone, right now listening to Beyoncé’s [Pretty Hurts]. She has put her phone on silent and is writing to Kyungho while singing along to the song and glancing up to see if Maria is coming.

Typical Maria to be late. Hannah wrote to her three minutes ago, while they were supposed to meet ten minutes ago, and Maria just wrote back ‘two minutes’. Hannah keeps her eyes on the time, three minutes later, Maria is spotted.

Compared to Hannah’s laid back sweater dress in black and leggings, her long chestnut brown luscious locks and natural makeup, Maria is going for style as always. Dress-pants to a matching black turtleneck without sleeves underneath a long coat works perfectly to her long bob, her makeup pointing out at hr filled eyebrows and red lips. Maria in 2016 has really put more focus on red lips and filled eyebrows than ever before. She looks like she is going on a fashion show, according to Hannah.

Hannah lowers the volume on the stereo when Maria opens the passenger-door. The rain is heard more when she opens the door, clearer, more beautiful. But Maria groans loudly when taking a seat and shuts the door to get away from the rain.

“We’re on?” is the first thing Maria says and she tilts her head to look at the camera. “Awesome. But Hannah, what are you listening to?”

5 Pieces’ very own Japanese song [Star] is playing. Hannah hadn’t even thought about it, not hearing it as she was busy looking at Maria finally coming to the car. Without being told to, Hannah unplugs her phone to give Maria the cord, giving away the control of the music right away.

When Emelia sat in the car, helping Hannah with the camera, she took notice of the teddy bear in the backseat, commenting that Hannah is weird. Maria doesn’t comment on those things, not really caring if there is a teddy bear in the back or not. The gift Hannah had received in Dublin is sitting in the middle seat with the seatbelt on, not taking much focus but it is seen in the camera. Hannah wanted to have a teddy bear in her car, maybe to keep her company if she is driving alone or just because it looks perfect.

Driving off, Hannah is just smiling. Maria is already playing music, filling the playlist on her phone with songs she wants to do. They go right at it, fulfilling Maria’s wish. Well, Maria behaves the same as always; she needs music in the car and she starts moving and singing to it right away. She plays some English songs that Hannah doesn’t know, but Maria enjoys it and Hannah is enjoying Maria’s show. They thought it would be difficult to do this with the rain falling, but apparently it works.

Twenty minutes of Maria singing and dancing next to a driving Hannah, the leader suddenly pauses the music.

“We’re supposed to do some kind of introduction to this, aren’t we?” she remembers.

Hannah nods. So far it has been as expected; Maria hasn’t been still while Hannah has been singing along from time to time while mostly just focusing on the driving. But that’s their concept: Hannah with her safe driving and Maria living out her dream.

“So,” Maria says and looks at the camera, leaning to the middle as if she has to be in the centre. “There were a lot of people loving our karaoke time in the car for Showtime this summer…”

Hannah gives a point to Maria at those words.

“Yes, me too,” Maria admits. “Well, it’s pretty much just for me that we are doing this now, but we hope our fans will enjoy it too. Hannah is the only lady who said she will drive me, so she is … what is it called? Co-star?”

“Mm,” Hannah nods without really knowing what word Maria is looking for. Hannah gives Maria a glance, smiling because the leader is looking at her with a thoughtful face-expression.

“You’re the driver, anyway,” Maria concludes. “MarAh’s Car Karaoke. Now, that should be enough, let’s play some more music.”

Maria was bored of talking, making Hannah smile again as she starts playing the next song. Maria throws her jacket down her shoulders to start moving her shoulders to [Hard Carry], the song she has probably waited fifteen minutes to play. Hannah is in on it, just laughing at Maria’s passionate opening. Maria is moving so the car is bouncing while Hannah is driving slowly, one lady knowing maybe one word each sentence while Maria knows all the other words.

Even after parking, Maria has to finish the song before they can leave. It feels silly to just go for a drive and film this, so they decided to do some shopping at the same time. Hannah is in search for night cream and makeup cleanser while Maria is going for a bunch of makeup products. They are gone for three hours; Maria really fell for the eyeshadows that were on special sale and they went looking for shoes as well.

Back in the car, the first song they play is Bruno Mars [Uptown Funk]. Maria is already feeling the rhythm in her body as soon as it starts.

“Do you know the lyrics?” Hannah wonders.

“No,” Maria laughs but she is still feeling it. “But just go with the flow. It’s a feel-good song.”

She is quick to say the last sentence because she has to start singing, knowing pretty much the whole first verse. It is indeed a feel-good song. The two friends are moving and singing along to it, dancing on their own in the car. They have fun, playing songs from ten years ago, blasting out with their singing to some ballads, then they get all weird trying to rap to Eminem and Rihanna collaborations. Hannah goes from focused driver to karaoke playmate throughout the drive, depending on the song and how the road is. The big question is if this will even be useful to share on YouTube, or if they will trash it in shame.

Hannah just drops Maria and the camera off at the house before she drives home on her own. When finishing their filming, Hannah simply said ‘bai, bai’ (‘bye, bye’ but to Maria it sounded like ‘bai, bai’). Jonghyun is practicing for SHINee’s comeback, he has written that he will be home late. As it is weekend, he doesn’t have his radio live tonight so he did promise to come home for them to watch the latest episode of the K2 together. What he said the morning Hannah came back from vacation was true; he doesn’t want her to watch it without him.

At their apartment, Hannah is listening to music and doing some cleaning. How Jonghyun has managed to keep it clean while she hasn’t been home (both when she was on tour and also when she was on vacation) is still fascinating to her, because neither Hannah nor Jonghyun are much for vacuuming or wiping dust yet their apartment always seems to be clean when she comes home. She should probably ask Jonghyun of that. She got face masks when they went shopping earlier, samples that always are joy to receive, and she places two of the three on the living-room’s table before heading off swinging around to [Masterpiece] by Jessie J.

In the end she is sitting in the living-room, her laptop playing music on YouTube after suggestions at the side and Hannah is sitting with her notebook, suddenly busy writing. She gets inspiration from the music on YouTube, playing songs she knows or going through songs she hasn’t heard of before, depending on where the suggestions takes her. Then she writes based on the feeling. Hannah has a goal with her writing this time. Ana mentioned it to her over the summer, something that hannah just thought of. Ana asked Hannah to write the comeback song for the Musketeers. Hannah hasn’t thought of it, she took it as a joke, but now when suddenly thinking of having a comeback with the Musketeers, she wants to try write a song for them.

A song suited for the four of them, a dance track as they are a dance team. Not a focus on the y, far from the cute, just … dance. Of course the lyrics can be about anything, it’s not like she is sitting and coming up with the actual song. Hannah has ideas for it, smiling when thinking of what dance they could do to what she writes. Then she rewrites it, thinking it’s not good. It doesn’t go well though she has a lot of ideas. The problem is that Hannah writes the best when she just wants to share an emotion or story, but when thinking of who it is for and how to perform it with three other people, she stumbles and stutters. Carolina, for example, is the opposite. Carolina writes better when thinking of who is singing it, loving to imagine the singer performing the lyrics and the song she makes.

Time has passed quickly because three pages later, Jonghyun enters the hall. She hears the door open but is focused on finishing her writing that she doesn’t look up until hearing him come closer.

“Hi,” Hannah smiles and pauses the video of James Arthur singing [Say You Won’t Let Go]. Jonghyun grimaces in response, as he said ‘hello’ when he first entered the apartment. He leans down when coming up to her, kissing her on the head before falling down on the sofa behind her. Hannah is sitting on the floor to sit more comfortably with her arms on the living-room’s table.

“What are you writing?” Jonghyun tiredly asks and pulls a pillow under his head.

“Stuff. I’m trying, anyway. How was practice?”

“Tiring.” He moves again to see her profile, smiling a bit. “But it will be fun to make a comeback.”

“Only a few days left,” Hannah comments with a smile. SHINee are releasing their album [1 of 1] this up-coming week. She likes the way he looks at her, as if he is studying her.

Jonghyun takes his hand through her hair while Hannah closes her notebook, putting loose papers on the page she was on.

“I was thinking…” she starts to say, turning to the side so she can look at him, resting her arm on the sofa. “What if we do face masks while watching K2?”

She picks up one of the masks to show him, smiling cutely behind it while Jonghyun is nodding, still caressing her hair.

While Jonghyun takes a shower, Hannah washes her day’s makeup and puts up her hair in a bun, she prepares the episode they will watch as well so when Jonghyun is done, everything is prepared. He lies down on his back in the sofa, letting Hannah put on the face mask on him before she sits down to do her own and watch the episode. While his mask sits really well, Hannah is moving a lot under his legs as well as giggling so her mask is almost falling the whole time.

Finishing the time with the masks, Hannah is giggling again as she is leaning over to massage Jonghyun’s face after removing the mask. He is adorable when she does it, looking at her the whole time unless when he closes his eyes to ask for a kiss. Hannah doesn’t give him a kiss because she does still try to keep up with the drama.

“Is it that good?” Jonghyun wonders, turning to look at the TV now when Hannah is done massaging in the mask in his skin.

“It’s good. What will you tell Yoona if you meet her? Tell her that you’re not watching her drama?”

“She knows I’m watching it though,” Jonghyun chuckles, “because you told her.”

“I told her that I am watching it, and that you want to watch it with me,” Hannah answers and gives him another sweet smile when he gives her a grimace.

They sit quietly for some time but eventually, Jonghyun is looking at Hannah. In this episode of the K2, Ji Chang Wook gets in a fight – in the showers. med with their lower part blurred out but it is still a great scene with kicks and muscles, soap and wet bodies. It is a great scene indeed. Jonghyun lifts up his leg when seeing Hannah’s face, making her laugh and push his leg down as she wants to see.

“Why do you look so happy?” Jonghyun murmurs and sits up, using his hands this time to cover the TV and again Hannah is removing it so she can watch the scene.

“Oppa!” she ends up whining.

“You’re blushing, aren’t you?”

She starts hitting his hands in annoyance. “I’ll replay the scene, seriously,” she tells him and shoves her out to reach for the remote control. Jonghyun moves so he can wrap his arms around her when she leans back again, he is watching her face. He is the reason she is blushing. Though he is making fun of her cheeks, Hannah tells him it is his behaviour that is making her blush. He is cute, and a bit annoying because she really likes the fighting scene. She can’t stop thinking of how they filmed this scene, wondering if the actors were doing a bunch of push-ups and checking each other out, what underwear they wear behind the blurriness and so on. Yet her blushing cheeks and wanting to replay the scene makes it seem like she is only watching the muscles and skin. Well, that’s a good point in why she should replay the scene too.

Jonghyun won’t stop looking at her, trying to get her attention, until Hannah turns her head to peck him on the lips. He rests his head on her shoulder to watch the episode after that, satisfied as he knows the reason Hannah is smiling now is because of him; not because of Ji Chang Wook.

++ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - ++

Jonghyun leaves home before Hannah the next day. Hannah leaves to go to the house. Maria had texted her the previous night, saying they can film in the car today, asking if Hannah is in on it. When Hannah comes to the house though, Maria is sleeping. It’s raining today too. Since Maria is sleeping, Hannah goes to the other house. Julia is out, her mother is upstairs, while Carolina is in her room.

Everyone is on their own, it feels like. Hannah sits in Carolina’s room, listening to her friend talking about her plans once again. Their artistic friend is going to Sweden at the end of this week, planning three weeks there to set up a gallery. In their hometown they have this place where you can put up your art for a specific time before it will be taken down and someone else’s work will be put up. Carolina has sent in a request for it and will go to Sweden to work on what to do. Art. It is a wide subject but Carolina is excited as she will work with university students, she will get to use her hands to create things. Besides from music and instruments, art is Carolina’s passion and it has be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter