And Hope To Die

Cross My Heart

6th Century BC
Classical Greece

Before the very beginnings of the Roman Empire had come into thought and long before the Greek gods and goddesses retreated into the heavens, the divine immortals walked among men whether in disguise or not. Of them was the mischievous god of love1, who took pleasure in toying with the lives of the mortals, striking arrows here and there as to set the stage for romances that he watched in awe-filled wonder. As he sat in his home and watched through a pool of water the life of these mere mortals, he dreamt hopelessly of finding love one day himself, not that he would ever let anyone know of such thoughts. He was immortal, after all, and falling in love did not seem to be a part of his string that the fates guarded and kept hidden.

Upon Mount Olympus2 rested a place so exquisite in feature and so beauteous in taste, that if any mortal being could lay eyes on it, they would surely go blind from the pure majesty of the sight alone. Pillars of white marble stretched higher than the human eye could see and well into the clouds until it reached it’s peak where domes of gold formed the roof of the grand structures.

The archways were filled with the most beautiful sculptures of the gods and goddesses themselves and only the finest of food was produced for them there to eat. There were fountains that flowed endlessly with sweet ambrosia3 that was scooped into golden horns and drank solely by the immortals. Sunlight filtered through the clouds and spread rays of gorgeous hues onto the place where only the fairest of weather was allowed.

It was here that Baekhyun, the god of love, spent his days, lounging on benches made of marble, adorning the finest of silks and sipping on the ale provided by Yifan4, the god of wine, from time to time. Now and again, he grew bored of such paradise and sough entertainment, as did the other gods amongst him, and he often tampered with the love lives of mortals for pure joy. Such was the life of the son of Aphrodite5 - the mischief maker - perpetually trapped in the most youthful part of life and an icon of ual desire for both  men and women human beings.

“Do you venture to the surface today?” Kyungsoo6, the god of shadows, questioned Baekhyun as he saw the boy move to gather his quiver and bow.

Baekhyun shrugged, “Perhaps.”

“That means yes.” Kyungsoo decided, “Can you not leave the mortals alone for more than a week?” he sighed.

A smirk curled onto Baekhyun’s lips, “They are much too fun, brother.”

Kyungsoo merely rolled his eyes and sunk back into his seat, letting the melody of the harp lull him back to peace, “Play nice.” he offered as his last piece of advice before Baekhyun let his white, feathered wings free.

“I make no promises.” Baekhyun mused, which Kyungsoo understood as a ‘no,’ before he took to the skies.

The mortal world was full of things that Baekhyun did not understand and nor did he care to understand them. Baekhyun was not interested in the worldly possessions that so often man sought, because all of those goods could easily be his own if he so desired them to be. Oftentimes, being a god had its own strange perks, and this was simply one of those things. Not that he cared anyway, as his objective today was to target some unsuspecting soul and, oh, how he delighted in that so much.

Walking amongst the humans was quite simple enough, Baekhyun had learned this since he had first come into his existence from Chaos.7 He was followed shortly afterwards by his siblings, including Kyungsoo who often criticized him ruthlessly though he was younger. Upon the discovery that he could disguise himself with the charm of being immortal, Baekhyun spent many years wandering the earth and taking his time to become acquainted with all parts of it.

It was vast and bigger than any of the humans seemed to even realize, which, sometimes, made him laugh at their blatant ignorance. Other times, he pitied the fool that believed his or her life was the center of everything in the universe and spent their lives making sure that they had it all before they died and their soul journeyed to the underworld through the rivers Styx8 where they would then be greeted by Hades.9 Sometimes, he wondered what it would be like to die and take that voyage.

♡♡♡

Sat by a pool of water, a young man glimpsed his reflection in the ripples of the crystal blue and sighed. Ever since he had been born, his mother always boasted over his beauty. As a small child, it became clear to his family that he would be simple to find someone to marry him to, for he was always so polite and charming. He had a wide smile, a handsome face and a sweet personality that everyone adored. Years passed and still he sat waiting for someone to court him properly and propose marriage.

His name was Park Chanyeol10, the second son of three, and born of a military father who had spent many years as an honorable chief within the Greek army. His father had been highly celebrated and was renowned amongst the city, which meant that his sons also held high status. Chanyeol’s elder brother, Luhan11.1, was the first to be married of the three to a young soldier who offered everything in return for his hand in marriage. The Park family had been delighted that Luhan was the first to be married and had hopes that Chanyeol would be next.

That was why it was a surprise to all when the youngest of the three, Zitao11.2, was the next to receive a proposal. Zitao had been wandering into the marketplace more often than not and enjoyed the pleasures of shopping for silks and spices with his friends. It had been another day in the marketplace for Zitao when he stumbled into a young aristocratic man who took one look at Zitao and desired more than anything to make him his husband. So, a husband Zitao became.

It was not that Chanyeol was not courted as his brothers had been. It was fact that he was seen as one of the most beautiful youths that had ever walked on the surface of the earth. Luhan and Zitao had been jealous of Chanyeol all their lives for when men came to their home, they often times sought Chanyeol. These men pined their affections onto the young man, gifting him with flowers and jewels and words of absolute enchantment. Chanyeol indulged them and smiled with that twinkle in his eyes, but the truth was that none of these men ever considered him for marriage. For Chanyeol was too handsome and they felt far too unworthy of such a man.

“Has no one yet come for you, brother?” Zitao teased on most days when he saw Chanyeol at the marketplace.

“To think my husband could have been yours.” Luhan laughed mockingly when he came home to visit his family.

Chanyeol did not mind their taunts, not so much as he showed anyway. He took their comments with a rather light heart and chuckled behind his hand, but inside he wondered if he would ever truly find a husband. They came from far and wide to court him and yet he was alone. Destined, he thought, to always be so. Perhaps he was cursed from a young age, perhaps he was doomed to spend his life without the experience of love as his brothers had found.

It was here, by the pool of water hidden in the thicket of woods, that Chanyeol spent his days. Away from the people who adored him, but dared not ask for his hand in marriage, for they were all too much in their gestures of affection and slow to act upon the feelings that they expressed through their woven words. And it was here that fate changed its course, the moirai12 taking two thin threads in their hands and bringing them together. For it was here that a young, playful god found a young, fascinating master.

Baekhyun had been flying over the earth for some time when he grew tired, his wings aching from such a long day of playing with love, and so he took to Athens where he often took joy in the people there. It was as he drifted over the city with the clouds when he spotted the boy spread upon the ground and humming to himself. Intrigued, Baekhyun flew closer and hid himself within the branches of a nearby tree.

The boy was singing softly to himself with a lyre in his hands that he strummed expertly as if he had been born to do as such. He sang sweet verse with a deep voice unlike any the young god had ever heard and made rhyme so endearing that Baekhyun felt himself, for the first time in his existence, tears slipping down his cheeks. If there was ever a time in anyone’s life that they could point out and say for certain that they sensed a change in themselves, for Baekhyun, it was this moment.

When Baekhyun had spoken with Aphrodite of love, she told him that the answer he sought was not what he would want to hear, and yet he pressed further regardless of what he was told. It was then that Aphrodite stooped to behold her son and told him that love had no definite answer, but rather it was felt from within. Love was ambiguous. Baekhyun had agreed with the goddess, that this was certainly not the answer he had wanted and decided that love was nothing if it was not definable, for everything was. Even the darkness had a name and it was Kyungsoo, even the great void had a name and it was Chaos.

In that moment that his life changed forever, Baekhyun discovered that love truly did have a name. It had a name, a face, an enchanting voice and handsome features. And it was Chanyeol.

♡♡♡

Chanyeol loved Fridays for one reason and one reason alone. Friday was the day that a young shepherd boy would come to the Park home bearing all he could afford - often times it was freshly picked flowers or lamb meat if the week had gone well - and he would court Chanyeol. His name was Kim Jongin13.1 and while he was a poor man with barely anything to his name, Chanyeol admired him. He was the only steady thing in his life, for most men that came to court him never returned, but Jongin was different.

Baekhyun hated him.

“You are as beautiful as a rose,” Jongin would say and his face would turn all shades of pink as he spoke the soft words.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he watched from a cloud above.

Chanyeol would giggle, his own face dusted a shade of red, and accept the flowers that Jongin had brought forth, “You are too kind to me, Jongin.”

“There is no such thing as too kind to someone as fair as yourself.” Jongin retorted and Chanyeol let his fingers tangle with the shepherd’s.

Jongin smiled to himself before he squeezed ever so gently Chanyeol’s hand, “Might I kiss you today, Chanyeol?”

Baekhyun glowered at the boy, but he mostly waited in anticipation for Chanyeol’s answer. It was always ‘no,’ he knew this. He had been coming to the surface of the earth for two months now, once each week, to watch his beloved Chanyeol. The first time he had arrived on a Friday, he was horrified to see this young man, Jongin, courting his Chanyeol. It was offensive to the god and he had stormed back to Mount Olympus, demanding that someone strike him down, for he was no good. Jongdae14 had offered his services, taking a lightning bolt into his hands and aiming it at the young shepherd boy who was ultimately saved by an unimpressed Hera15 who had discovered the boy living in Jongdae’s chambers.

Fridays were the bane of Baekhyun’s existence, because they meant that Jongin would be coming to court Chanyeol. He grew to hate them with each passing week, wether he watched from closeby or from the looking pool in his own chambers, he despised the day. Today was no exception to that of course, but it was only made worse when Chanyeol had smiled sheepishly and tilted his head to the side, inclining far too closely to the boy named Jongin.

“Please.” Chanyeol whispered his consent and so Jongin did, letting their lips touch briefly.

Enraged, Baekhyun stood upon the cloud and aimed an arrow at Jongin, hoping if he pulled back far enough, he might be able to kill the boy. He was stopped suddenly, a jerking motion that made him slip and the arrow flew through the sky, only to puncture a tree before disappearing. Baekhyun huffed in annoyance as he spun around to face Minseok16 with his winged sandals.

“What was that for?” Baekhyun asked harshly.

“Anger is so unbecoming of you.” Minseok sighed, “I have a message from your brother.”

“Has he been watching again?” Baekhyun asked angrily and looked towards the sky and promptly mouthed, ‘I hate you.’

“He hates you too.” Minseok said pulling Baekhyun’s attention back to himself, “He thinks that if you are to shoot that boy with your arrow, you will only make him fall deeper in love with that other boy there.”

“This is none of his concern.” Baekhyun grumbled as he replaced his bow on his back, because as annoyed as he was, he knew Kyungsoo was correct on all accounts.

“Why are you here, Baekhyun?” Minseok inquired to which Baekhyun raised a brow, “I ask for myself, not your brother.”

Baekhyun sighed, “What is it like to be in love?”

Minseok sputtered, “In love?”

“That is what I said, yes.”

“I am not exactly,” Minseok shifted unnaturally and cleared his throat, “An expert in that aspect. Perhaps you should inquire with your mother-”

“I have,” Baekhyun sighed, “We disagreed, but I am beginning to believe that she may have been in the right.”

Minseok chuckled, “You cheeky fool. For how long have you spied on this poor boy? I have heard of no complaints from anyone about your trickery in love for so long. You must be entirely occupied with him.”

“Is there anything wrong with that?” Baekhyun quipped and Minseok shook his head.

“There might be if you do not make yourself known soon,” He gestured beneath them to Chanyeol and Jongin who embraced most tenderly, “Do not break your own heart.”

♡♡♡

“Leaving again?” Kyungsoo asked in mild amusement, “Were you not out only just yesterday, brother?”

“I am going hunting,” Baekhyun said flatly and somewhere in the distance he could almost hear the snort that came from Artemis.17

“Your sarcasm is not amusing,” Kyungsoo sighed, “Tell him not to go out again, Jongdae.”

Jongdae roared out in laughter and below the humans took cover from the impending storm, “Let him do as he pleases, Kyungsoo. Otherwise he will continue to sit around here and mope, rather unbecoming of a god.”

“What will you hunt for?” Yixing18 asked innocently and Jongdae melted at the sound of the feathery voice.

“A husband.” Baekhyun replied curtly which made Kyungsoo nearly spit out the wine that Yixing had so politely offered to him.

“What a curious prey.” Jongdae mused.

Baekhyun shook his head, “Not for me.”

Seldom did Baekhyun grow jealous, but since Jongin had touched Chanyeol, he was nearly the epitome of envy - so much so that Hera had even made note of it. That was why Baekhyun followed Jongin about the city until he spotted the perfect man and devised the perfect plan that would indeed leave Chanyeol all to himself.

Drawing back his arrow as Jongin walked along the dirt path, he let fly his arrow so that it pierced Jongin’s back who stumbled forward and straight into the arms of the aristocratic Sehun13.2 who was shocked to have a sudden lapful of a man he did not know. This shock passed almost immediately as he was struck in his shoulder by another one of Baekhyun’s arrows and he smiled warmly at the shepherd boy. Their first look into each other’s eyes set the premise of the plan and Baekhyun nearly applauded his quick thinking as the two young lovers kissed in the streets of the marketplace.

Chanyeol had known it was too good to be true when he and Jongin had embraced nearly a week ago for the first time. He had known, deep inside of himself, that he and Jongin would not be married as promised. When Jongin told him that they could no longer meet for courtship, Chanyeol was not surprised, but his heart broke into a million pieces inside of his chest - the shards stabbing him from the inside and creating within him a pain that he had never before known.

Jongin had found another love, a young man who had come to him at night and the two had made love beneath the stars. That was the rumor about the town when the wealthy Oh Sehun had proposed to poor man, Kim Jongin. Chanyeol knew the truth of the story and it was not the ending he had desired. Jongin claimed it had been love at first sight, saying that he had never felt such a strong attraction to another before, no matter how much he had been in love with Chanyeol. There had been something so striking about Sehun when he had fallen headfirst into the arms of the man in the marketplace. It was then that Sehun had told him that he was feeling rather strangely about Jongin and asked him to gift him with a kiss. This story ended with Chanyeol alone once more. Jongin’s and Sehun’s pure love became his greatest affliction though he tried to smile.

Driven by this torment, Chanyeol found himself standing at the edge of a fierce river that had been known to take away the lives of those who fell into it. He knew of the stories, of the people who had willingly let themselves be washed away by the current and those who had held hands with their forbidden lovers and drowned in its watery grasp. People often spoke of the people’s souls trapped in the depths of the crystal water, the ones who would pray to Junmyeon19 for release from the wet prison. He wondered if he, too, would cry out for Junmyeon to save him once his last breath was stolen away from him.

One more step forward and Chanyeol would say goodbye forever to this life which he now regarded as unfit for any mortal creature. He took a deep breath and looked into the blue waters, shimmering with the light of the sunshine reflecting upon the surface. The eyes of a sad man peered back into his own and he realized it was himself that he saw - his own reflection. Damaged, was how he described himself at the sight. With that last thought, his dipped his foot into the water, feeling the coolness. He wondered if this was what death would feel like before he closed his eyes and prepared to throw himself in.

“No!” Baekhyun shrieked.

Startled, Chanyeol fell backward onto the bank near the rushing river, his breath caught in his lungs and his heart beating at a rapid pace so that he thought he might burst open at any moment. He looked about himself, but could see no one that could have spoken to him, this only worried him further. He his lips once, twice, before he opened his mouth to speak in the direction of the trees where he heard the voice come from.

“Who goes there?” He called out, his voice trembling.

Baekhyun was stunned by his own actions, “A… Friend!” he called back belatedly.

“A friend?” Chanyeol mumbled, “How do I know you are a friend as you say?” he asked the trees, feeling rather stupid as he spoke to himself.

“C-Come no closer!” Baekhyun gasped, flittering from one tree to another as Chanyeol took steps towards him.

“Who are you?” Chanyeol frowned, “Another come to court me? I do not wish to be courted any longer.”

“I am not here to court,” Baekhyun insisted, “I am here to… To propose.”

Chanyeol was thrown into a silence, confused and surprised that anyone would be speaking to him like this at all, much less someone he could not even see.

“Show your face.” He said slowly, “Show me your face and I will marry you.”

“Please!” Baekhyun gasped, “Do not ask to behold me!”

“Tell me who you are.” Chanyeol demanded in fright.

“I am…” Baekhyun thought for a moment, “I am your husband and you are my love.”

“Have I met you before?” Chanyeol asked curiously now as he sat himself below a tree.

“No, but I have met you.” Baekhyun reassured, “I have seen you many times and I have been too afraid of showing myself to you so that we might speak.”

Chanyeol tilted his head to the side and watched as the water’s current continued to flow down the mountain in a calming fashion, “What is there to fear, but love?”

“I fear scaring you away,” Baekhyun admitted, “I fear you would reject me if you beheld me.”

“Nonsense.” Chanyeol said, “I do not believe love can be judged so and if I am your love and you are my husband, then we shall be married without my viewing your face.”

Baekhyun choked, “Pardon?”

“You have come to propose, you said so yourself.”

“I have. Yes, I have.”

“I will marry you.” Chanyeol said sniffling, “I will marry you, my husband, and I will be your love for eternity.”20

“You cannot rest your eyes upon my face.” Baekhyun spoke hesitantly, “That is my one condition for our love to continue its blossom.”

Chanyeol nodded slowly, “I would like to be first courted by you.”

“As you wish.” Baekhyun agreed, “I will court you for twelve days, and, if on the twelfth day, you deem my love true, then we will marry.”

“Do you have a name I might be able to call upon you with until then?” Chanyeol asked carefully and Baekhyun fluttered down to him so that he sat behind the boy.

He gently put his hands over Chanyeol’s eyes, feeling the boy jolt instantly before relaxing under the careful touch, “You may call me Cupid, Park Chanyeol.” he whispered in the boy’s ear before kissing the top of his head and disappearing into the sky.

“Cupid…” Chanyeol whispered, “My husband, Cupid.”

♡♡♡

On the first day of their courtship, Chanyeol wore a blindfold made of a black silk that blocked entirely his vision. It made Baekhyun laugh when Chanyeol reached his arms out in an attempt to feel his surroundings and Chanyeol pouted in return. He made some form of a remark in teasing about how awful his husband was which only spurred Baekhyun’s laughter further.

Baekhyun took Chanyeol’s large hands in his own and entwined their fingers together like lovers do. It was the second time that they had touched, but somehow it felt more real this time to Chanyeol, even though he could not see his future husband. The first time had been too much like a dream, too strange for Chanyeol to understand and so he had dismissed it as a fleeting delusion that he had coined in his own mind to keep himself from jumping into the river.

He almost believed this thought too, until the next day when he heard his parents making a commotion so that he rushed to the door of his home to find a letter waiting for him in a cream coloured envelope and a wax seal the colour of gold. It was almost too obvious to his parents as to what this envelope would contain and they were elated to discover that their middle child had finally found someone to marry. They boasted about it so much, in fact, that Zitao and Luhan were angry that they had not too received a magnificent dinner in their honour such as the one that they had for Chanyeol.

Inside the envelope were two curious things. One was the black, silk blindfold and the other was a small note. The note read that he ought to wear the blindfold in the presence of his beloved and that the presence of his beloved would be made known before he would have the chance to see him. In the black, inky scribbles upon the parchment, Chanyeol also read that he would spend the next twelve days in a manor home up in the mountains until an agreement could be made for their marriage.

Essentially, what Cupid had left at the door for him, was a contract that had in them both of their demands from each other until the twelve days were over. Chanyeol stared at the parchment long and hard before he faltered and took up a quill to sign his name at the bottom. Once that was completed, Chanyeol ventured to the location that Cupid had left for him in the letter, but not before saying goodbye to his parents and telling them that he would be well.

There he stood, in his new home in the mountains. He could hear the running of water and smell the sweet scent of honey and hibiscus. If there was anything that Chanyeol could perceive from the scents alone, it was that this person, his Cupid, was wealthy. He was sure that his parents would be ecstatic to receive that news from him, but that was the least of his concerns. What he most desperately wanted to know, was Cupid’s real name, for he knew that Cupid could not possibly be a real name to be called by.

“Will you tell me your name?” Chanyeol asked when Baekhyun took his hands.

“Not yet.” Baekhyun sighed softly, “I would like for you to love me for me right now. You can trust me, yes?”

Chanyeol nodded, “I trust you.”

As demented as Chanyeol thought himself to be for trusting a complete stranger such as this one, his words could not be further from the truth. He trusted this young man unlike anyone he had ever trusted before. In the same way that Chanyeol trusted Baekhyun, Baekhyun, too, trusted Chanyeol. This entire relationship was building upon that foundation of faith and love. Chanyeol was not sure if he should be fearful or not, but for the first time since Jongin had left him, he was happy, if not happier.

The third time the two touched, Chanyeol would never forget, he was sitting in the grand gardens on their second day of courtship as he hummed a pretty tune, fingers plucking the strings of a lyre. Cupid had told him that he had some business to take care of and that Chanyeol could remove the blindfold and explore his new home and the splendour of it all. The boy was excited and as soon as he realized that he was alone, he gently removed the black fabric from around his eyes and finally caught a glimpse of the sweet flowers he had been enjoying.

Flowers were beautiful, Chanyeol knew this, he saw plenty of them while spending his days in the thicket and by the freshwater pool. Roses he liked best for their beautiful nature and second to that were the daisies that sprung in white and reminded him of purity. When he opened his eyes in the garden of his new home, he was surprised to see that everything was roses and daisies, growing even though the weather was cold and dreary. He delighted in everything, basked in the sunshine that should not be and touched the soft petals of flowers that should not be in bloom.

When he sat on one of the marble benches near a bush of pretty, pink wild roses, that was when Cupid came to him again. It was like the first time, but it was so much more sincere, as Cupid let his slender fingers cover Chanyeol’s eyes so that he was in darkness once more. He shuddered under the delicate touch and let his head lean back to rest upon the man he knew was behind him. He felt a rumble of laughter and could feel the rise and fall of an unseen chest as his Cupid breathed in and out.

“Do you like them?” Baekhyun asked in a hushed tone that sent a shiver up Chanyeol’s spine.

“Very much so.” Chanyeol admitted.

“Which do you most prefer?”

“All of them,” Chanyeol replied with a blush, “However, if I have to choose by my Cupid’s command, I would have to say that white roses make me feel the warmest. They are pure and sweet.”

“I could not agree more, my love.” Baekhyun said with a smile and kissed the top of Chanyeol’s head for the second time, causing a grin to spread on Chanyeol’s pink lips.

The days passed like this. Chanyeol wandered around his new home and spent every second that he could in his Cupid’s embrace, waiting in the utmost of anticipation for the moment that he would tell the man that he would marry him, most certainly. For if there were anything that Chanyeol had decided within only the first three days of being with Cupid, it was that he was hopelessly in love with a man he did not even know.

It was not until the sixth day that Cupid came to Chanyeol in the middle of the night in such darkness that he could not possibly be seen, did the two finally kiss. They embraced each other lovingly and let their actions hold their conversation for them until they fell asleep together with the remnants of their love still clinging to them well into the morning. And when Chanyeol woke up, all he saw was black.

At some point in the night, Cupid had placed the fabric back over his lover’s eyes again so that when the two awoke, Chanyeol would not spoil their contract. It made Chanyeol’s heart flutter in his chest to know this and when he realized that he was curled into Cupid’s warmth, he began to cry until his tears were soaking the blindfold, because Chanyeol was in love and loved in return.

“Are you alright, Chanyeol?” Baekhyun asked worriedly and Chanyeol nodded, nuzzling his face into the man’s chest.

“I love you.” He said suddenly and Baekhyun froze.

“Repeat yourself, please, Chanyeol.” Baekhyun requested hesitantly after a few moments of silence.

“I love you,” Chanyeol breathed and kissed the bare skin against his face, “I love you.”

♡♡♡

Trust was not some simplistic concept for lovers. In a relationship, trust meant everything. If one could not trust his or her partner, then the very foundation of all that their love had come to be was shaken and the bond that was once was broken. Chanyeol strongly believed that trust was what would help him through this excruciating twelve days before his lover would be revealed to him. The more time that went by, the more anxious he became. He already knew that he was in love and that he would marry Cupid, or whatever his name may be, so he had no idea why it was that he should have to be patient much longer.

Those words that Baekhyun had spoken to him as they had conversed in their private bathhouse still stuck to Chanyeol’s mind like honey. ‘I hope for you to love me for me, to love me as an equal. I do not wish to scare you… Chanyeol, please be patient.’ Cupid had said that to him as he poured water down Chanyeol’s back and kissed his shoulders sweetly before they embraced again in the warmth of the tub. The scent of blossoms was the scent of their love as they found their way to each other’s arms.

The faith that Chanyeol had placed in Baekhyun and Baekhyun in Chanyeol was great. So great, in fact, that even Jongdae was impressed by the way that they loved each other, more than he had ever loved his own wife. However, faith was a funny thing, much like love. As a mortal, Chanyeol had faith in many people - his parents, his brothers, the gods, his lover - and he trusted them all in different ways. He trusted that his parents had his well-being in mind, he trusted that the gods would protect him, he trusted Cupid would love him properly and he trusted his brothers when they said that they were worried for him. What he should have realized when they said this during their visit was that they were up to no good as always.

Zitao and Luhan were prone to jealousy the same way that they were prone to breathe air from birth. They were also prone to lying to get what they wanted and what they wanted most when the laid eyes on Chanyeol’s extravagant new home, adorned with marble statues, luscious gardens and many rooms, was to have it all. Thoughts of their own husbands evaded them when they saw the style of life that Chanyeol had stumbled upon with a stranger from the woods and they grew envious with each passing moment.

It was not until Baekhyun returned from his time in Mount Olympus did the two brothers begin to devise their plan. They were so bewildered to see that the young god of love was the man their brother was to marry that they discussed in the private of the wine cellar the ways in which they could ruin the arrangements between their brother and his lover. Their plan of sweet revenge was put into motion when Chanyeol explained to the two that he was not allowed to view his husband until the twelve days were over otherwise their contract would be broken.

“He is a monster,” Zitao whispered, the first to plant the seed of doubt in Chanyeol’s mind, “I saw him, Chanyeol, for I am permitted to view him unlike yourself. He is a beast.”

“Indeed,” Luhan insisted in a hushed voice, “I have, too, seen the man - if one can call such a thing a man - and he is quite possibly a demon come to take you away, Chanyeol. I fear for your safety.”

“Not so,” Chanyeol gasped quietly, “My Cupid can be no such thing.”

“Have you before seen him?” Zitao inquired, “I should think not.”

“You do not know him as I do.” Chanyeol stated, but new thoughts entered his mind. The seed of doubt began to sprout, stretching its roots into a dark soil of deceit.

“I do not need to know him to understand that he is fiend.” Luhan retorted, sprinkling the sprout with the water to grow.

And grow the sprout did, into a venomous weed that was so far rooted into Chanyeol’s mind that he could not remove it though he tried. It was all of these new thoughts and ideas that his brothers had given him that made Chanyeol decide he should peer at his beloved just once in the night to make sure what the two said was untrue. When night time befell them and the stars shined amongst the black velvet skies, that was when Chanyeol grew most restless, the anticipation of the crime he was about to commit causing in him some strange feeling of apathy.

‘Just one glimpse,’ he told himself as he lit the candle beside his bed and turned to his lover who slept peacefully next to him.

The candlelight was only very dim, but even by the pale glow, Chanyeol knew that he should have never risked the glance at his lover, for next to him slept the most ethereal being he had ever seen before, with white feathered wings and skin that gleamed. His name was not Cupid, but Baekhyun, and he was no ordinary man, but a god. Terrified by this knowledge and overcome by the perfection in Baekhyun’s soft features, Chanyeol stumble backward and fell clumsily to the ground, still clutching the burning wax, only to let out a small screech as he landed and pricked himself on something sharp.

Baekhyun stirred awake from the commotion and gasped in horror at the sight of Chanyeol bleeding and wounded by one of his own arrows that had been cast aside in his quiver. Panic-stricken, Baekhyun pulled from Chanyeol’s side the arrow and tossed it away, fretting instead over the injury on his beloved. That did not stop Baekhyun from feeling just a tad angry with his love, for the boy had not waited the twelve days he had promised and had, in turn, destroyed their trust.

“One more day!” Baekhyun exclaimed in anger, “Chanyeol, could you not contain yourself for just one more day?!”

Chanyeol cried loudly and grasped at his side, “I am not worthy of this love!”

Baekhyun frowned and dabbed the wound which soaked the white sheets a lovely shade of crimson red with his own silk garments which he tore off himself so that he could try and save his lover. The problem with Baekhyun’s arrows was that they were harmless if shot by Baekhyun and instead of inflicting harm, they brought with them love and ual desire. If one pricked themselves on the tip of the arrow by their own self, then the arrow became lethal, almost like a poison.21 It was almost certain death unless someone were nearby with the ability to heal.

“B-Baekhyun,” Chanyeol sputtered and gasped for air, “Save me, please. I want to live with you, please.”

“Oh, Chanyeol, what have you done.” Baekhyun sobbed, “Will you die before we have the chance to wed?”

“What has happened here, Baekhyun?” Minseok asked as he arrived with his winged sandals and staff in hand, shaking his head at the mess he found the two lovers in.

“Why are you here?” Baekhyun asked in a panic and wrapped his arms around his lover, “Cannot be!”

Minseok gave Baekhyun a look of pity, “I am to take him to Hades…”

“No!” Baekhyun cried, hugging Chanyeol’s body closer, “Not true! He is not dead!”

“Baekhyun,” Chanyeol whimpered, “Hurts…”

Baekhyun loosened his hold on Chanyeol and regarded Minseok with tearful eyes, “Please. Please do not steal him away from me.” he choked on his tears and buried his face into Chanyeol’s chest, “Do not take him.”

“You know it is not by my choice that I have to do this,” Minseok sighed sadly, “I know that he is your love, but I have to take him now. He is dying, Baekhyun.”

"No," Chanyeol gasped out, he was slipping away, but he wanted so badly to stay with Baekhyun that his will struck a chord with the gods above who watched.

Just then, a loud crack whipped through the air outside, the sound like thunder and the skies opened to let lightning strike the ground where then appeared Yixing with a small horn in his hands. He rushed into the home of the two lovers and nearly tripped over his own two feet as he produced the liquid and handed it to Baekhyun.

“By orders of Jongdae,” Yixing heaved as Baekhyun accepted the flask, “Chanyeol shall not die here tonight.”

Baekhyun peered into the cup and recognized the scent immediately as the ambrosia from the fountain upon Mount Olympus. Hastily, he parted Chanyeol’s soft lips with his fingers and poured the drink down the boy’s throat, hoping that he had been quick enough to save his soul. Minseok watched nervously and Baekhyun waited anxiously for any sign that Chanyeol had survived the prick.

Chanyeol’s eyes fluttered open and he coughed, “Baekhyun?” he croaked.

“Chanyeol!” Baekhyun exclaimed and began to cry once more, “Oh, Chanyeol! You are alive!”

“I am so sorry, Baekhyun, I failed you…” Chanyeol whispered, but Baekhyun shushed him with a smooth press of their lips.

“You have failed nothing, Chanyeol. It is I who has failed you.” Baekhyun sighed against his lover’s mouth, “I should have let you marry me much sooner.”

Chanyeol laughed breathlessly against Baekhyun’s lips, “Is it too late for us to wed now?”

♡♡♡

February 14, 2016
Seoul, South Korea

“They were married the very next day, on February 14. And that’s how Valentine’s Day came to be. We celebrate the true love of their holy matrimony each year.” Baekhyun finished with a triumphant smile and leaned back in his chair.22

Chanyeol drummed his fingertips on the top of his coffee cup, the brown liquid mostly gone cold now, “You have quite the imagination, Baek.” he laughed.

“You’re one to talk!” Baekhyun accused and nudged Chanyeol’s foot with his own beneath the table.

“Why’d you use our names though?” Chanyeol asked shyly, scratching the back of his head in confusion.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes, his best friend was terribly slow. He had been dropping hints about his love for the younger for months now. “Because, I’m in love with you, stupid.” he sighed in exasperation and threw his arms up in frustration.

Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he reached across the table to grab Baekhyun’s wrists, nearly tipping over Baekhyun’s cup of tea with his lanky limbs, “Repeat yourself.” he demanded in awe.

“I said, I’m in love with you, stupid.” Baekhyun groaned and then smiled brightly at his best friend.

It only took Chanyeol a single second to grab Baekhyun out of his chair and kiss him in the middle of the cafe until a friend of theirs, the barista, walked by and cleared his throat. Baekhyun looked up into Chanyeol’s eyes feeling rather shy at this point and Chanyeol could only laugh at his hyung’s rosy cheeks. He cupped Baekhyun’s face and kissed his forehead gently.

“I’ll be your Psyche if you'll be my Eros.” Chanyeol quipped and Baekhyun snickered.

“Sounds like a deal to me.” Baekhyun grinned before landing another soft kiss on Chanyeol’s mouth.


Notes:

1.Baekhyun is Eros from Greek mythology - most of you will know him as the Roman god, Cupid. The god of love.

2. Mount Olympus was the home of the gods and goddesses, only immortals could reside there.

3. Ambrosia is the drink of the gods and those who consume it become immortal. This is what saves Chanyeol's life.

4. Yifan is Dionysus, the god of wine.

5. Aphrodite, goddess of love and mother of Eros.

6. Kyungsoo is Erebus, brother to Eros in some stories of classical mythology and the god of shadows/darkness.

7. Chaos, the first thing that came into existence and from it sprung other gods, including Eros and Erebus. It is the void.

8. The rivers Styx are the link between earth and the underworld.

9. Hades, god of the underworld. The place where souls go after their deaths to be purified and returned to the earth in a new form - this is not the same concept as reincarnation, but I will spare you the details of the differences.

10. Chanyeol is Psyche, the young, beautiful woman that Eros falls in love with.

11. Zitao and Luhan both play brothers of Chanyeol and act as the sisters of Psyche who had been jealous of her.

12. The Moirai were the three fates, often old hags, that were in charge of the lives of everyone. These lives were often depicted as strings. Even Zeus had no control over their power.

13. Jongin and Sehun are simply their own characters and have no mythological counterparts.

14. Jongdae is Zeus, god of the gods and lightning.

15. Hera, goddess of marriage who was known to have a temper. This is why it is significant that she is surprised by Baekhyun's anger.

16. Minseok is Hermes, the messenger of the gods and the only one who had free access to Hades. His winged sandals were iconic and helped him to travel quickly.

17. Artemis, goddess of the hunt. Both Artemis and Eros use bows and arrows, but only Artemis is a hunter - this is why she laughs when Baekhyun says that he's going hunting.

18. Yixing is the Trojan hero, Ganymede, that Zeus was supposed to have thought so beautiful that he kidnapped him so that he could serve as his wine-pourer/cup-bearer - essentially, he was Zeus' young, male lover.

Fun fact: for those of you who have read 'Perchance to Love,' the story of Zeus and Ganymede is supposedly where the Greek custom of paiderastia originiated

19. Junmyeon is Poseidon, god of the waters. This is why Chanyeol thinks he will pray to Junmyeon before he jumps into the river.

20. Marriage between two men would never have been considered possible during the classical period for one reason: survival. Two men could not reproduce, but there was no objection to them having relationships with one another (unless they were in the army).

21. I don't actually know anything about Eros' arrows, I made this up... So sue me ~

22. This story is not the reason that we celebrate valentine's day today, not even in the slightest. The closest celebration that the Greeks and Romans would have celebrated around this time was Februa, a purification ritual held on February 15. But, it's a cute idea!

Final Note:

This story is very, very loosely based on the love of Eros and Psyche. The only thing that remains the same from that myth to this fic is the fact that Chanyeol is not able to look at Baekhyun in return for love and that Chanyeol has jealous siblings that wish to sabotage his happiness. There is also one scene that is very similar to the one in the myth and that is the part where Chanyeol wakes up in the middle of the night to look at Baekhyun. In the myth, Psyche actually intends to kill Eros, because she believes him to be a disgusting beast due to what her sisters had told her, and she is startled to find that Eros is actually a divine being. The myth doesn't end there and, in fact, Psyche has to go through many trials before she is able to finally be with Eros again. It's actually written by a Roman author, Lucius Apuleius, but I stick to the Greek side of the gods. You can read the story from the Metamorphoses here if you feel so inclined to ^^ ~ thank you for reading! ps: I like to think that Baek is top & Yeol is bottom lol mmk bye