Track 2 ♪

The Break Up Playlist
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

2 weeks after Comeback stage: Sowon Entertainment Company photo shoot

Oct. 21

 

Taeyeon: Every year the company rounds up all the Artists to take a "family photo." It’s the one time in the year, apart from company parties, that all of us come together. A lot of us are busy with our own activities so these kinds of things are scheduled in advance—months in advance.

 

I was one of the first artists to arrive on set with my manager. Today's photo shoot would be taken in the studio and later we'd move outdoors to take photos for a photo book the company produces every year in addition to the family photo. It's another way to show off the artist line up and make money. I believe we’d be taking the additional photos in the meadow somewhere and maybe near the river—somewhere near nature.

 

“It looks like we’re the first ones here.” I say looking around. The people on set were staff and crew who were setting up for the shoot.

 

“Looks like it.” Tiffany responds. “Come on let’s go to the dressing room so you can get changed and get your hair and makeup done.” Tiffany led the way to one of the dressing rooms where the stylists and makeup artists were on stand by.

 

It wasn’t long before artists from the company started trickling in. I’d just finished getting my outfit on for the first few shots and now I was getting my hair and makeup done.

 

In the ladies dressing room it was just Tiffany and me with some of the stylist Unnies and makeup artist Unnies. As expected, the ladies of the company were running late.

 

“Unnie!” A voice called out. I’d recognized that voice anywhere. A voice I hadn't heard in a long time—at least within close proximity.

 

Krystal.

 

“SooJungie!” I heard Tiffany call out to the girl. Did they know each other? Krystal had just walked in. "Oh My God! You've grown so much since I last saw you."

 

“Unnie what are you doing here?” Krystal asked in English. I'd recognized they were speaking in English because I couldn't understand them. They were definitely not speaking Chinese or Japanese.

 

“I’m working.” She said. "Wait, why are you here?" Luckily, they'd switched back to Korean and I was able to understand them—they were loud enough for me to hear.

 

“For the company?” Krystal was surprised by the confession—she and I both. I was surprised the two knew each other. “Since when? I'm an artist for the company. It's been 2 years now. How come I’ve never seen you before?”

 

“Since late last year.” Tiffany replied. “I can't believe I never saw you."

 

"It's been a busy year. I was in China filming for a drama the first half of the year." Krystal says.

 

"I've been busy managing my artist. That reminds me...I want you to meet her. You may already know her. But come over anyway.” Oh no, they’re coming over. I tried to look natural.

 

“Taeyeon-ah,” I heard Tiffany call out to me.They came into view from behind; I saw their reflection in the mirror. As if on cue, the makeup artist that was taking care of me had just finished and I turned to face them.

 

I looked up at the two and tried to maintain a poker face, “ Yes?”

 

“Taeyeon-ah, I want you to meet a dongsaeng of mine. You might know her as the actress Krystal Jung. Krystal this is Taeyeon, the artist I manage. You two may know each other already, but--”

 

“Ani, this is our first meeting.” I sighed with relief when Krystal was first to speak. I honestly wouldn’t know what to say if she hadn’t spoken first. “Annyeonghaseyo, Krystal imnida.” Krystal greeted me with a bow. “It’s nice to meet you in person.” She smiled. She has her smile.

 

“Ah, ne.” It was somewhat awkward. We were pretending to be strangers when in fact, we’re far from strangers—she was going to be my sister-in-law. “Annyeonghaseyo. Taeyeon imnida.” I smiled back.

 

“Ppani!” Yoo Jin Unnie, Krystal’s manager, called.

 

“Yeah, Unnie?” We all turned our attention to Yoo Jin Unnie who'd just walked in.

 

“We’re being called for a manager’s meeting.”

 

“Alright,” Ppani replied. “One second.”

 

“SooJung-ah, stay out of trouble while I’m gone.” Yoo Jin Unnie looked at Krystal sternly.

 

“I will Unnie. Don’t worry.” Krystal says with a smile.

 

“That worries me even more.” Yoo Jin Unnie jokes earning a laugh from us. “I mean it.”

 

“Dae.” Krystal says.

 

“You’ll be fine here right?” Tiffany asked me. “You’ll have Krystal here with you.”

 

“Yeah.” I responded.

 

“I’ll be back you two.” Tiffany says before she leaves to follow Yoo Jin Unnie. We were left alone with each other. The makeup artists and stylist unnies had all gone to the other dressing rooms to tend to the other artists.

 

There was an awkward silence between us.

 

“Kry--” “Unnie.” We both spoke at the same time.

 

“You first.” I say.

 

Krystal shook her head and motioned for me to speak first. “You first Unnie.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“No problem. It would’ve been awkward anyway if I’d said anything.” She smiled.

 

“Krystal--”

 

“Krystal?” She quizzically looked at me, which caused me to falter. “Unnie no need to put up the act; it’s just the two of us. Besides, you never used to call me by my English name.” That was half true. After I’d gotten close to her, I stopped calling her by her English name and addressed her by her Korean name.

 

“SooJung-ah…”

 

“That’s much better!” She smiled.“What was it you wanted to say?”

 

I took a deep breath before asking my question, “Do you hate me?”It was a question that bugged me for a long time now—ever since she’d entered the company.

 

“Hate you? Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” She replied. “You know…after everything that’s happened.”

 

“Do you? I broke my promise.”

~*~

 

8 years ago; Jeonju, South Korea

 

I'd been invited over for dinner with the Jungs. Today was finally the day that I'd get to meet Sooyeon’s parents and her younger sister, Krystal, in one setting. I've met Krystal on some occasions, but never in this kind of setting. It was even more nerve-racking because I'd be meeting the wonderful people who brought my Sooyeon into this world.

 

“Sooyeon-ah will you help me in the kitchen?” Mrs. Jung calls from the kitchen.

 

"Dae Omma." Jessica calls out, but before she leaves, she turns to Krystal and I. "Play nice. Especially you Soojung-ah."

 

"Of course Unnie." Krystal says with a smile.

 

"I'll be back." Jessica left us outside on the patio and joined her mom inside.

 

I felt a sudden chill. No, it wasn't cold outside. I looked up to meet the younger Jung's gaze. She sat on the chair next to me. Her smile had vanished and was replaced with a straight face. I felt uncomfortable; her gaze was intense—it must run in the family because Jessica has the same gaze. It was intimidating. I swear the Jungs will be the death of me.

 

The silence between us was deafening. I reached for my glass of lemonade.

 

"Do you love my Unnie?"

 

"M-mwo?" I nearly choked on my lemonade.

 

"It's a simple question Taeyeon Unnie. I know you heard me the first time. Yes or no?" I was taken back by her straightforwardness. Baby Jung definitely sensed my nervousness, but she didn't back down. She maintained her chic attitude.

 

"Y-yes."

 

"Now was that hard?"

 

"..."

 

I tried to maintain composure in this sudden interrogation but my body went against me. I was nervous and it showed.

 

"I'm gonna be straight with you." She went straight to the point. I gulped waiting for what to expect next. "My Unnie likes you."

 

"S-she does? A-are you sure?" I stuttered not expecting this confession.

 

"I'm her sister; I know these kinds of things." She gives me an are you kidding me look. Her next statement signaled my heart to palpitate. "Are you serious about my Unnie?" She stared me down looking for an answer.

 

This time I answered with confidence; I didn't falter with my words. "Yes. I am."

 

"Good!" She smiled. What just happened? She went from Ice Princess (like her Unnie) to a sweet little dongsaeng. If there's one thing I've learned about the Jung sisters, it's that underneath the Icy exterior is a sweet fragile girl.

 

"Good?"

 

"Yeah, I see how much you make my Unnie happy. She's happier these days. She doesn't usually open her heart to anyone, but she's opened it for you."

 

"Me?" I was still trying to pr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter