Not So Secret

Serendipitous

“Minseok, can you stand outside please?” Yoona pouted at her boyfriend, giving him the puppy dog eyes he knew he could never win against. Curse his heart for betraying him whenever his cute girlfriend asked him of things, no matter how small or simple they were.

 

Just last week, he had wanted to buy this awesome hat that he'd been eyeing for a few weeks but the minute his girlfriend had asked if he could buy her this purse, he didn't even hesitate to buy it for her. When she found out about the hat he was supposed to buy, she felt extremely guilty and bought it for him because he never told her that he had been saving up for it. Minseok gave her a chaste kiss and told that she was worth it.

 

The couple had been going strong for almost a year and each day was as blissful as the last. They met through Yoona's younger brother, who had been a resident of Minseok’s when he was a dorm residential advisor. Minseok and Kyungsoo had become fast friends despite the three year . When he was introduced to Yoona, he knew it was like (possibly even love) at first sight.

 

To prevent things from being awkward Minseok had decided not to pursue the older sister of his close friend. But every time he went over to Kyungsoo’s house, it was hard not to be even more enthralled with the doe-eyed beauty. He didn't want to seem cocky but he actually believed that Yoona may have also returned his feelings with the lingering gazes and the accidental touches whenever she joined the guys’ hang out.

 

A few months after their initial meeting, Yoona and Minseok had bumped into each other at a sandwich shop. Since he was eating alone, Yoona took it upon herself to join “Kyungsoo’s cute and hopefully single friend.” He hadn't quite expected her to be so bold but he was glad she was because he left the sandwich shop that day with a phone number and a date. Naturally, things progressed and a few dates blossomed into a newfound relationship. A relationship that was only known between the two of them.

 

There had been some sort of unspoken rule amongst Kyungsoo’s friends about being associated with Yoona. Ever since high school, Kyungsoo had been protective over his older sister and who she dated or who she was friends with. He knew that she was popular amongst a lot of the boys at school and as a boy himself he knew of their intentions. To Kyungsoo, no one was good enough for his sister. And that included his friends.

 

He had befriended a new kid one time and invited him to sit with his friends at lunch. Everything was going well until his sister decided to walk into the cafeteria laughing with her friend Yuri. Her insistent laughter caught the attention of many people including his table of friends. The new kid, he didn't even bother remembering his name after this incident, openly gawked at the girl and started saying obscene things about her and what he'd like to do to her, laughing and unaware of how quiet the table got.

 

Kyungsoo’s face had gone stoic and his knuckles had turned white from gripping the edge of the table so tightly. His friends Sehun and Jongin had tried to stop the new kid from continuing to talk but before anyone saw it coming Kyungsoo punched the new kid right in the nose. Needless to say, no one ever said anything about Yoona (in front of Kyungsoo anyway) ever again. Thus, the unspoken rule was formed.

 

Minseok had heard from Sehun about the unspoken rule but didn't really understand why there was any need for such a silly rule. Of course, when he met Yoona he could completely understand his younger friend. She was too precious.

 

That made him feel all the worst about breaking the unspoken rule but he couldn't deny his happiness or feelings for her. Yoona didn't have any clue about the unspoken rule but agreed to keep their relationship a secret nonetheless because Minseok asked her too (although she felt a bit hurt knowing that he didn't want to tell anyone about them when she wanted to shout it from the rooftop). Eventually, Minseok did tell her the reason which made her both happy and kind of angry with her brother.

 

“Why do I have to wait outside the store for you? It's not like I haven't seen you in any of this before.” Minseok looked around to all the bras and put on display in Victoria’s Secret and sighed. He would look like a ert if he just stood outside the store, waiting for his girlfriend.

 

“I want to surprise you Minseok but I can't do that if you are here to see what I'm buying for you.” She gave him a knowing look before winking and walking away.

 

Well, if Yoona's sultry tone wasn't enough to get rid of him, he doesn't know what would. He tried to calm himself before walking outside the store and sitting on the bench in the middle of the mall. Knowing Yoona, she would talk a long time deciding what would look best (although Minseok often argued that everything looked good on--and off--her) so he pulled out his phone to play a game to pass the time. He was too immersed in the game that it took about a few minutes until he finally heard someone calling out his name.

 

“Minseok hyung, what are you doing here?”

 

Minseok’s eyes widened as he recognized the voice calling out to him. How could he not know his younger friend's distinct low tone? The younger brother of his secret girlfriend was standing right in front of him, genuinely smiling at the older boy, with his other friend, Sehun.

 

Oh Kyungsoo, Sehun, funny running into you here. I'm out shopping with my girlfriend.” Minseok mentally prayed that Yoona didn't come out at that very moment and berated himself for letting that detail slip to the one person he was hiding it from in the first place. His nerves always took control of his speech and prevented him from filtering out his words carefully.

 

Oh hyung you have a girlfriend?” This time it was Sehun who spoke. Kyungsoo only smiled down at his elder friend, looking as if he was also hoping for answers.

 

“Oh um yeah, we've been um together for about a year or so. Sorry I didn't tell you guys.” Technically he wasn't lying or anything.

 

Just as he finished his sentence he saw Yoona walking out of the store with a big smile on her face, looking around for Minseok. Minseok tried his hardest to make eye contact with her as if to tell her not to approach him but it was obvious that they needed to work on their communication skills when she spotted him and practically skipped over.

 

He did the only thing he could think of. “How funny, Yoona you are here at the mall too?”

 

Yoona looked at him weirdly until she noticed the two figures standing in front of her boyfriend turning around to face her. Oh, now she realized what Minseok was doing.

 

“Oh yeah, I was just shopping at Victoria’s Secret for some things and when I came out I saw you guys. What a funny coincidence. What are you guys doing here?” She nervously chuckled.

 

Minseok tried not to facepalm himself as Yoona lied (quite horribly, he might add) through her teeth. He could only hope that Kyungsoo didn’t catch her blatant lies.

 

“Oh noona. Sehun and I came shopping for some clothes for the new semester. Minseokie hyung came shopping with his girlfriend.”

 

Oh you have a girlfriend Minseok? I bet she’s quite pretty.”

“Oh, she’s okay.” Yoona arched her eyebrow.

Kyungsoo laughed and hit Minseok’s shoulder, “Hyung you shouldn’t joke around like that about your girlfriend. What if she had heard you? I bet her feelings would’ve hurt. Right noona?”

 

“Yeah Minseok, your girlfriend might be pouting if she heard you talk like that to other people. Anyway, I have to get going. I came with a friend and I bet they are looking for me. So um bye guys.”

 

Yoona waved before walking off towards another store. Minseok, oblivious to other two boys still standing in front of him, watches her as she leaves so that he can meet up with her later.

 

“Hyung why are you staring so hard at my sister?” When Minseok didn’t respond Sehun waved his hand in front of the elder.

 

“What did you say Sehun?” Sehun only shook his head and pointed towards the upset looking Kyungsoo, whose arms were folded in front of  his chest.

 

“Hyung, don’t stare at my sister like that. You have a girlfriend and she has a boyfriend already so you can’t be giving her those eyes.”

 

Sehun looked at his best friend, “Yoona noona has a boyfriend?”

 

Kyungsoo nods his head in confirmation, “She doesn’t know that I know but one time I caught her talking on the phone with him. It was gross how lovey-dovey they were with each other. Plus she’s been on her phone a lot more and she even goes out more than usual. I’m not sure how long they’ve been together, though.”

 

Minseok averted his eyes elsewhere from the younger duo. Kyungsoo was treading on forbidden territory that could make or break their friendship. Of course, though, it was Minseok’s fault because he was the one who went after Yoona (or the other way around but same thing).

 

“Oh wow, ha ha I’m sure that if she were dating someone she would tell you or something.”

 

Kyungsoo pounded his fist into his palm in a serious manner. “I hope she does introduce me to him soon because I want to see if that guy is good enough for my sister. He needs my approval before anything else.”

 

Minseok gulped and scratched the back of his nape. Well, this conversation just got all the more uncomfortable. Minseok didn’t want to die at the hands of his younger friend. “Well, I’m just going to go find my girlfriend now, it was nice seeing you guys here.” With that, he scurried away.

 

The two college seniors stared at the back of their elder friend.

 

“Kyungsoo, you were so mean to Minseokie hyung.”

 

Kyungsoo pouts, “No I wasn’t. I was just playing around. I wanted him to tell me that he was dating my sister by himself. But actually, I think I did scare him away.”

 

Sehun shrugged, “Well, I think it’s funny that they still think they are being discreet about their relationship when we already know. Both of them looked so worried that I had to bit my lip to not to laugh at their reactions.”

 

“Well they’ll eventually tell us about it, I guess. Come on let’s go.”

 

Kyungsoo turned his attention away from the retreating Minseok and pulled Sehun’s arm to drag him towards the store they were going to.

 

--

 

Yoon huffed a sigh as she checked the time on her phone. She had texted her boyfriend to meet her near one of the shoe stores on the other side of the mall but he had yet to show up. It had been around five minutes and she was desperately getting impatient. She just wanted to watch the movie they planned on going to and get back to his apartment to show Minseok what she bought.

 

Outside, she seemed calmed and collected, but on the inside, she was giddy with excitement. Spending time with alone time with Minseok always made her heart flutter whether they just sit in silence, playing on their phones or if they being intimate and cuddling.

 

A panting Minseok leaned on his knees, trying to catch his breath, broke her out of her reverie. When she saw her out of breath boyfriend she smacked his shoulder and frowned.

 

“Where were you? I was waiting for like five minutes. I thought you left right after me.”

 

Minseok shook his head and stood up straight grabbing Yoona’s hand to intertwine it with his, “If I left right after your brother would have been suspicious. Plus, he and Sehun were talking about how they think you have a boyfriend and how he’s basically going to make you introduce him to your brother. I just had to go along with it.”

 

“Well we could always just tell my brother now, Seok. It’s been about a year already, besides if he was really your friend he would just learn to accept that you make me happy and that’s that.”

 

Minseok smiled and pecked his girlfriend's cheek, “You’re absolutely right. I just need to man up and tell him. But we can do it tomorrow when we aren’t busy.”

 

Yoona grinned and nodded her head, “Let’s head to the movie theater now before we miss the showing.”

 

The couple walked together hand in hand to the end of the mall where the movie theater was located. After almost being caught by the one person they were avoiding, they decided to cut their shopping trip short and just finish off their day with a movie before leaving. It was too risky to be anywhere in the mall right now anyways.

 

The only reason they were content with holding hands now was because both knew that Kyungsoo’s favorite shops were on the other side of the mall and that Sehun doesn’t like watching movies in theaters no matter how hard his friends try to convince him.

 

It only took about ten minutes for them to get to the theater and buy their tickets. Before they actually got into the theater, Minseok was stuck on bag duty as Yoona went to the bathroom.

 

For the second time that day, Minseok had no idea what to do with himself. He was stuck sitting outside waiting for his girlfriend to return. Minseok combed his fingers through his hair before realizing that he was in possession of his girlfriend’s Victoria Secret bag (and purse).

 

He looked around briefly before opening the bag and moving the tissue paper to the side to take a peek at the lingerie inside.

 

But before he was able to see and hand gripped his shoulder. He closed his eyes in guilt. He knew his girlfriend wanted to surprise him but he couldn’t help it, he really wanted to see what she had bought.

 

“You are not allowed to peek Minseok! Now come on let’s go before the movie starts, I want to get good seats.”

 

MInseok rolled his eyes in mock annoyance, “Why does it matter where we sit, it’s not like we are going to watch the movie anyways. Besides this movie came out like two months ago, I doubt anyone would come see it.”

 

The doe-eyed girl ignored her boyfriend and made her way towards the theater, with a little skip in her step. Minseok could only trail behind Yoona with his shoulders slumped. There was no winning against Yoona.“Minseok, why are you walking so slow come on.” Yoona stopped walking and turned around, holding her hand out for her boyfriend to grab a hold of.

 

Minseok smiled at his cute girl friend’s gesture and intertwined their fingers, “Sorry.”

 

Just as Minseok predicted, the theater was entirely empty when they walked in to find their seats. Yoona squealed in delight as she picked the row third from the top, leading Minseok by their joint hands. Once they sit down, the lights dim for the start of the previews before the movie.

 

“There no one can disturb us now.”

 

With that Minseok leans towards Yoona to plant a sweet, chaste kiss to her lips. Yoona smiles into the kiss and grabs Minseok’s nape to pull him in closer for a longer, harder kiss. Their lips moved together in synchronization with each others as their tongues glided past one another.

 

The couple were so lost in their own bliss that they failed to realize that a pair of boys sneakily entered the theater as well. The pair made their way up to the seats in the row about Minseok and Yoona and sat directly behind them.

 

“I can’t believe that they are literally making out in the theater. This is extremely weird,” one of the boys whispered to the other.

 

“I know, huh, they probably don’t realize we are here, Sehun.”

 

After their initial meeting with the couple, Sehun and Kyungsoo decided to follow the duo out of curiosity. Of course, they had already known that the couple was together thanks to their other friend however both had secretly wanted t witness it with their own eyes. It seemed strange to imagine their friend and Kyungsoo’s sister dating together.

 

They hadn’t expected the couple would be making out in the movie theater, though. Kyungsoo figured that Minseok was waiting outside of Victoria’s Secret for his sister for whatever reason he doesn’t want to know earlier. But now that he’s actually caught them in a moment of intimacy he wanted to clean his eyes and turn back time to make sure that he and Sehun don’t follow them. It’s one thing to hear about public displays of affection by someone you know, but to actually witness it, it was truly horrifying, or at least in Kyungsoo’s case.

 

“Maybe we should tell them to stop?” Kyungsoo nodded his head.

 

Both of the boys started throwing popcorn kernels at the couple. The kernels kept getting stuck in their hair and clothes, but neither Minseok nor Yoona let up with their kissing. When popcorn kernels didn’t work, they settled with tossing gummy worms. They had expected the gummy worms would do the trick but it proved futile as the couple continued making out.

 

Sehun sat back with a huff in his breath. “Don’t they need to breathe or something. Geez, you would think they would take a hint with us throwing popcorn and gummy worms but I guess not.”

 

Yoona must have recognized the voices because a few second after Sehun spoke she pushed Minseok away and looked back with wide eyes, hoping to not find who she thinks is the owner of the voice. Sehun had been at her house enough to recognize his voice anywhere.

 

Just as she suspected, she saw Kyungsoo and Sehun sitting in the row behind them, smirks adorning on their face.

 

“Oh, uh, what are you guys doing here?” Luckily for her, the dark theater hid the creeping blush on her cheeks. There was nothing more embarrassing than getting caught making out in a theater, especially by your own brother.

 

“Pfft. Noona, are you really trying to make conversation right now? We should just address the elephant in the room.”

 

Minseok, who tried to avoid being caught by his friends, sunk down into his seat. He hoped that by not turning around the guys would never know that it was him and would not ask him any questions. For all they knew, it could be Yoona making out with some random guy, although Minseok would never let that happen.

 

“You can try to avoid us Minseokie hyung but we know it’s you.”

 

Minseok winced at the mention of his name and straightened up in his seat. He gave an apologetic look to his girlfriend before turning around in his seat to face his younger friends.

 

“How’d you know it was me?”

 

Kyungsoo chuckled. “Well, we saw you guys come into the theater so we thought we would surprise you and join you guys. But it looks like we were surprised. Did you guys really not feel the popcorn or gummy worms we threw at you?”

 

Minseok gave a puzzled look before turn to Yoona. When they made eye contact both laughed at each other. Somehow they had just realized the kernels and gummy worms stuck in their hair and on their shoulders. They really hadn’t felt these things being thrown at them.

 

Minseok, clearing the food out of Yoona’s hair, shrugged his shoulders, “I guess we were caught up in the moment. We, or at least I, didn’t feel anything. Did you?”

 

Yoona shook her head before clearing off the food of Minseok’s clothes.

 

Once both were clean, Yoona scratched her head with an embarrassed smile. “Well since the cat is out of the bag, I guess now is the best time to tell you that Minseok and I are dating. We have been for about a year already. I hope you can accept us graciously.”

 

Kyungsoo softly smiled down at the couple, who had been looking up and him and Sehun, waiting to hear what they had to say about the whole relationship.

 

“Well, I’m not heartless noona. Of course, I approve of you and Minseok hyung. I honestly would rather you date him of all my friends. He’s the best.”

 

Minseok and Yoona looked surprised. “Really?”

 

“Yeah really. I was actually going to try to set you guys up but Minseok mentioned something about him having a girlfriend and so I just let it go.”

 

Minseok hesitated before speaking, “But what about the unspoken rule? Aren’t you mad that I lied to you?”

 

“I guess at first I was a little upset but it was only because you didn’t tell me. Even though there is an unspoken rule it was mostly amongst friends my age like Sehun or Jongin. I knew you were mature and that you had a genuine heart and that you wouldn’t treat my sister badly so I didn’t think much of it. I guess it’s also my fault for setting up that rule.”

 

“I can’t believe you set up a rule about who can and can’t date me, Kyungsoo. I am older than you! I should be allowed to date whoever I want.” She jokingly scolded him, a grin threatening to spread across her lips.

 

Kyungsoo lowered and nervously scratched the back of his nape, “I just did it to so that you could find a good guy. You’re my sister and I love you so you deserve only the best. Maybe i took it a little too far though.”

 

Yoona stood up and motioned for Kyungsoo to do the same. Once both were standing, Yoona wrapped her slim arm around Kyungsoo and pulled him in tightly for a hug. Kyungsoo, relieved that his sister wasn’t mad at him, secured his arms around her waist.

 

“You are a little twerp but I love you too Kyungsoo. Thank you for trying to protect me. But next time maybe you should just ask me instead of sneaking around.”

 

“How did you-”

 

“I’m your big sister. Of course, I know all! Including you Oh Sehun! I may not be your biological older sister but I consider you to be my little brother. You guys got it?” She looked between Kyungsoo and Sehun, who were staring down at the floor.

 

“Yes, noona,” they said simultaneously.

 

“Good.”

 

“Actually, noona,” Sehun spoke up, “We’ve known about you and Minseok hyung for awhile now.”

 

Minseok who had been silently watching the whole ordeal, tilted his head, “How did you know?”

 

“Jongin saw you guys at some cafe a few weeks ago and told us. He said that he didn’t know Minseok hyung and Yoona noona were dating. Me and Sehun were really confused but he said you guys kissed and were holding hands so yeah.”

 

“Oh, um…”

 

Minseok interrupted Yoona, “Why don’t we forget about this whole situation and just got eat lunch. We can answer any questions you guys might have and then we can start afresh. Sound good?”

 

Everyone agreed.

 

On their way out, Kyungsoo must have noticed the knocked over Victoria’s Secret bag in the row Yoona and Minseok were sitting in because he walked over to pick it up. When he bent down, he say the contents spilling out of the bag.

 

“Noona!” He shouted.

 

Minseok, Yoona and even Sehun turn around to see Kyungsoo holding up the bag with her lingerie spilling out.

 

Yoona widened her eyes and rushed up to where her brother was. “Uh you weren’t meant to see that Kyungsoo.”

 

He looked at his sister with wide eyes, “You--Minseok--and he--but you--oh my gosh is this what you wear when you are with Minseok hyung?”

 

“Kyungsoo!” Yoona felt the heat rushing into her cheeks as Sehun and Minseok started roaring with laughter.

 


Michi: I think there's a misconception. We are not writing chaptered stories. Only drabbles/one-shots. Feel free to give us suggestions on couples or ideas but there are no guarantees that we'll do the idea.