The Last Fight

The Last Fight

Luhan had been chasing after Minseok all day, demanding an answer from whom he thought was his best friend, until earlier that day when he learned Minseok didn’t like him singing Mirotic. “How can you say that to me?” Luhan demanded.

“Say what?” Minseok retorted. Upon receiving a glare from Luhan, Minseok relented. “Oh my god, can you just let it go already?”

“No, I won’t.”

“Luhan…”

“Don’t Luhan me. Answer me.” Luhan rested both his hands on his hips. He was standing in front of Minseok after he cornered him in the kitchen, not allowing Minseok to escape. “Did I really at singing Mirotic?”

“I didn’t say .” Minseok said, appalled and amused at the same time. “I said your voice isn’t made for that song, but hey let’s face it no group can cover the song and actually sing it better than DBSK.”

Luhan narrowed his eyes, still offended. “I practiced a lot before the performance.”

Minseok patted Luhan’s cheek. “I know you did. Now move!” He pushed Luhan to the side and walked past him.

Luhan followed suit, ing. “I can sing, you know.”

“I never said you can’t.” Minseok said, exasperated. “You asked my opinion about your singing, I gave you my opinion, can’t we just leave it at that? Please?”

Luhan quickened his pace and stopped Minseok from entering his room. “No! Because now, I am too insecure to meet them. Why can’t you lie to me, Minseok?”

“You will get so pissed off once you know I sugar coated my opinion.”

“No, I won’t.”

“Yes, you will.”

“No!”

“I know you.” Minseok said sternly. “Now, move or I will have to kick you.”

“Urghhh!” Luhan groaned, pacing in front of the door, still not allowing Minseok to enter. “If you know me so well, you would have lied. You would have told me I was great, then I won’t be so embarrassed to go now.”

Minseok rolled his eyes. “You shouldn’t have asked.”

Luhan stopped in his pace and glared at Minseok who was still wearing his white t-shirt and sweatpants. “And you are not coming with me?”

Minseok shook his head nonchalantly. “Nope.”

“Please?”

“No.”

“Don’t make me beg.”

“Please beg and I will rethink.” Minseok said, batting his eyelids. Luhan had been extra clingy and he had been desperate to avoid Luhan for at least one night.

“You are not a very good friend.”

Minseok squeezed Luhan’s shoulder and nodded slowly. “And don’t you forget that.”

Luhan gave way for Minseok. “Maybe I shouldn’t go too.”

Minseok walked into his room and sat on his bed, looking doubtful. “Nah. You will go.”

“No, I won’t.”

Minseok smiled up at Luhan who was now standing beside his bed. “You’ve been waiting to see them. Don’t let my stupid opinion stop you from going. I was just messing with you. You were great.”

Luhan studied Minseok intently. “Now, you are lying. Don’t lie to me.”

“See, I told you. You hate it when I sugar coat things.”

“I also hate that you aren’t coming with me.” Luhan admitted. He plopped on Minseok’s bed, hating his life. “Do you hate my singing?”

“No, I don’t hate your singing. I like your voice.”

“Like” Luhan scoffed.

“I love it.” Minseok rephrased. “Happy now?”

 “Yeah I am.” Luhan grinned. “I know you do.”

“Now go have fun.”

Luhan glared. “I can’t have fun now. I’ve been waiting for this my whole life and you ruined it.”

“Don’t be dramatic. You’ve seen them a lot during training.”

EXO was invited to a party held for DBSK to celebrate their new album and their twelve years anniversary but Minseok chose not to go and it annoyed Luhan very much. “I know but we were usually very busy when we met them. Maybe if we go now we can actually talk about something that isn’t work related. Plus, JYJ is coming too.”

“Do you want to be close to them?”

“I would love that.” Luhan said. He had been a fan of DBSK since he was fifteen. Thus the reason he pursued a career in entertainment. “If I just get to talk to Jaejoong hyung, wouldn’t that be nice. Just once.”

 

****************

 

DBSK was known to be playful when they were together. They were just a group of guys who never grew up. Luhan just watched from afar as the five members of DBSK roamed around the large handsome room, greeting their many guests. The youngest of them, Changmin, however was dragged by the leader, Yunho, and was practically forced to bow to everyone. Changmin could be heard protesting but Yunho didn’t seem to care.

Changmin had grown up to be a very handsome and matured young man but he was still treated like a kid by his hyungs. Especially by the oldest of them, Jaejoong, who in return received no respect from Changmin at all.

Junsu and Yoochun were bickering about something and it seemed like there was no ending to it. Few times Yunho had to stop from greeting everyone and yell at them to stop but they ignored him totally. Jaejoong just encouraged them to fight more not because he enjoyed it but because he was tired of it.

“You are so in love I am going to vomit butterflies and rainbows.” Minseok said from beside Luhan. He was forced to come after Luhan filed a complaint to their manager. “I could be in my room reading comics but here I am watching over you.”

“I am completely capable of taking care of myself.” Luhan balked at the accusation but it was true, the manager did also send Minseok to watch Luhan in case his inner fangirl finally decided to emerge. “You rarely get the chance to see them together. I mean, they are not even singing together anymore.”

“But they are still the best of friends. Nothing can break that bond they have shared for years.”

“Hmm...”

“What’s with the hmm?”

Luhan shrugged. “It’s just that I wish the company didn’t push them to their limits. They could still be singing together had the company cared more.  What if we become like them?”

Minseok wrapped his around his best friend. “We are strong enough to take it.”

Luhan peered into Minseok’s eyes searching for any sign of truth. “You actually meant that? You were the one almost fainted the other day.”

“We have to be strong. This is our dream. I don’t want it to crumble like theirs.” Minseok answered indecisively as he pointed to DBSK.

“That’s not my question.”

“What is your question, Luhan?” Minseok looked away and removed his hand from Luhan’s shoulder.

“Do you believe that you are strong enough to take on everything the company puts us through, even when it affected your health?”

“Yeah.”Minseok sighed. He stood up from his seat and walked away, not wanting to discuss on the sore topic.

Luhan followed him. “Minseok.”

“I don’t want to think about this.” Minseok told Luhan as he quickened his pace.

Luhan pulled Minseok’s hand, making him stop from trying to run away. “Are you okay?”

“I am okay.” Minseok relented. “I just try not to think about it. I don’t even want to come. I didn’t even want to read comics I just want to sleep.”

Luhan didn’t release his hold. “You don’t have to ignore your health just because you don’t want to disappoint the fans or the company. If you need some rest you should have told us.” Luhan looked around for their manager. “Maybe we should go now.”

Minseok’s eyebrows met. “You haven’t talked to any of the DBSK members.”

“I will someday. We have a concert next month I think I can cover what I’ve missed today.”

“You’d do that?”

Luhan made a face. “You are far more important.”

“I am?”

“I do not want you to give up on the group. I’ll talk to the manager about this. We all deserve some rest.” Luhan was looking more mature now than he had been for all the years that they knew each other.

“I’d never said I would give up our group.” Minseok said perplexed.

Luhan nodded slowly. “I know. It’s just that things like this are what causing members to leave their group. Maybe it doesn’t look serious at first but it’s dangerous. We should never let it happen.”

Minseok punched Luhan’s shoulder lightly. “Hey. Are you okay?”

“Me?”

“Yes. You.”

“I... I am. Why’d you ask?”

“Luhan, you are freaking out.” Minseok said, concerned.

Luhan opened his mouth but was unable to even say a word. “Umphh...I...”

Minseok grabbed Luhan’s shoulder. “What’s wrong?”

“I... I do not want EXO to end up like... like them.” Luhan said in all difficulty. “I mean, they are doing okay but still...”

“Is that what you’ve been thinking all day? Is that why you are so nervous to see them today?”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to leave our group.” Luhan stuttered. “I mean I don’t want any of us to leave the group.”

Minseok’s eyes narrowed on his best friend. “Luhan...”

“What if EXO becomes like them?”

“Luhan!” Minseok snapped. “Is this because of Kris hyung?”

Luhan’s eyes rounded at the mention of their former group member. He removed Minseok’s hand off his shoulder and held it tight. “What if? What if?”

“We are doing just fine now aren’t we? Just because I am a bit tired it doesn’t mean I want to quit the group.”

“You were lying when you said you could handle the pain of being an idol.”

Minseok was confused at where Luhan was getting at. “Yes, I was lying.”

“Then, would you ever give up?”

“I won’t, Luhan. This is my life right here. With you and with the members.”

“So, promise me you will open up more and tell us if you are sick.” Luhan urged.

“Okay, I promise.”

Luhan’s expression instantly softened. “I am glad to hear that. I really am.”

Minseok studied Luhan intently, there was something nagging at the back of his mind. “Luhan? What is it?” He probed deeper.

Luhan rubbed his face as if he was sweating.

“I am just glad that you’d stay.” Luhan smiled in relief before he was dragged away by Sehun.

Minseok’s eyes followed the two members as they headed to the middle of the room where the DBSK members were gathering.

 Minseok never got the chance to check if Luhan himself was okay because when he finally noticed something was wrong with Luhan, he was too late.

 

*******************************************************************************

 

Minseok stared at the empty room and the empty bed. His heart sank when he thought he heard Luhan’s screaming at Sehun because the maknae sat on his bed again. He was almost sure that he had lost his mind when he heard Luhan’s laughter on the last night they were together. He was filled with delight as he watched Sehun mimicking his expression when he first met JaeJoong.

It was just a memory replaying all over again in his mind.

He collected himself as he walked over to the empty bed and sat carefully as if he didn’t want to erase any last evidence that Luhan used to sleep there.

No one made the bed after the day they rushed Luhan to the hospital. Luhan’s pillows were still on the exact position when Luhan last used them.

It was just too much to take in two days. He still couldn’t believe how normal everything was and suddenly everything became final.

The last conversation, the last food they shared together and their very last fight.

Tears rolled down his cheeks when he felt Luhan hugging him from behind.

It was just the cold wind from the opened window.

Part of Minseok knew this at some level that Luhan never wanted Minseok to give up on their group while in the same time worrying about the future of EXO because he, himself was leaving. It was bad enough that two members left the group, Luhan wanted to make sure EXO never had to lose three.

When he told Luhan they were strong to take on anything, this situation he was in, was not on his mind. He wasn't strong to face this. Minseok couldn’t take the pain anymore and he abruptly stood up. He headed to the door and before he stepped out of the room, he whispered. “I love your voice... and I love you.”

Luhan left not because he didn’t want to stay. He left because his time on earth and as EXO member was over. 

 

*************

 

Luhan was found unconscious by a horrified Sehun on early January morning.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading. Check my other stories 

 

Figure It Out

Great Friendship (XiuHan)

Something More

Angry Sehun

The One Who Left

Kai, KyungSoo Hyung and Breakfast

Chen, Frozen and the bickering duo