Part III

Accidentally in Love

Se Kyoung’s POV

“You look so pretty, Se Kyoung-ah…” said Chanyeol when he picked me up at my apartment.

I smiled, “Thank you.”

We were on the way to the party he had told me the other day. I felt a bit unwell today, but I have promised to go with him.

The time we entered the hall, a guy walked towards us and greeted him. “Hey, Mr. Park! It’s been a long time, right?”

“Glad to see you here, Kyungsoo-ya. Yeah, it’s been two years since the last time I heard about you.”

“Hey, where’s Kris?” he asked as he looked around.

Chanyeol shrugged, “I think he will be here soon. Ah, let me introduce you, this is Shim Se Kyoung.”

“Your girlfriend?” he gave Chanyeol a teasing smile which I saw earned a glare from him. He then extended his hand for a hand shake. “Nice to meet you, I’m Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo.”

I gave a thin smile and nodded, “Nice to meet you too.”

The night was still young but boredom already struck me. During the party, Chanyeol was busy talking with some of his co-workers, while I, who didn’t understand a thing just decided to stay seated on the sofa with my drink.

“Gosh, I should have not worn heels tonight,” I grunted as I massaged my foot. It’s chafed and started to get weary.

I heaved another sigh, bored. I think this party is not about welcoming someone, but stuffing people with the work that they could’ve done at work.

I was busy with my thoughts and my weary ankle when I lost track of Chanyeol. I looked around to find him but he was nowhere to be seen. I sighed as I turned my head to the other side of the room and saw Kris with a bunch of glamorous women around him.

“Is he that popular?" I scoffed as I stared at him. It took some seconds before our eyes met. I didn’t see it coming so I turned my head to the window, avoiding his stare. I felt so awkward that I decided to walk outside to get some fresh air.

 

----------

 

Author’s POV

Se Kyoung looked around, making sure that she was alone at the porch. Slowly she took off her pair of heels.

“Ah, I will never wear high heels anymore,” she grunted.

“What are you doing here, standing all alone with your bare feet?” said a voice which is Kris’. He was standing a few steps from the door.

Se Kyoung heaved a sigh and turned. “I just need some fresh air.”

Kris looked up at the sky. “When it’s cloudy as hell?”

“Uh, yeah, the breeze is refreshing. What about you? Why are you here?”

“Following you,” he replied as he walked towards Se Kyoung.

Her eyes widened, “You stalked me?”

“Oh, you’re so full of confidence, aren’t you?” he let out a laugh. “I’m here to give you this,” he said and gave her a shoebox that contained a pair of flat shoes.

“Oh, no, no. I don’t want to receive from you again,” she refused.

“Again? I didn’t buy the high heels for you, did I? So I still owe you.”

Kris was right. He didn’t buy the shoes for her, but his friend, Kim Junmyeon—the owner of the store—who had given the high heels for free because Kris is his best friend. That was the same thing. Se Kyoung really felt uncomfortable about that.

The tall guy stood before her, took the shoes out from the box, kneeled down and grabbed Se Kyoung’s foot.

“Hey! What the hell are you doing?!” she shouted, feeling uncomfortable yet blushed because of his sudden action.

“Ssh…” Kris reached out two band aids from his pocket and put them on both Se Kyoung’s ankles.

“Now, it’s done!” he said as he stood up. “You should wear these shoes, for now. Don’t push yourself for doing something you dislike.”

A reassuring smile etched on his face before he turned, walking back to the hall.

Se Kyoung extended her hand and grabbed Kris’ left wrist to stop him. Kris stopped and turned to her.

“Th-Thank you,” she stuttered, bent her head down.

He came closer to her, acted like he didn’t hear, “What? Sorry, I didn’t hear it clearly. Can you repeat it?”

As she looked up and faced Kris, heat spread over Se Kyoung’s face. “I said thank you,” she repeated.

A teasing grin grew on Kris’ face. “You are very welcome, Miss,” he replied before he leaned closer to her and pecked her lips.

Se Kyoung froze on her spot, couldn’t even blink. That was her first kiss after years being a single-workaholic woman. The last time she had her lips kissed was in the early college life when she dated a cute-petite guy named Kim Minseok.

Kris leaned back and smiled before took off his blazer and put it on Se Kyoung. “You’d better head home and rest. Your fever is going to get worse if you stay here longer.”

 

----------

 

Piip Piip Piip

The thermometer beeped. “Ah, it’s 39.2 C°,” she breathed.

She grabbed her phone from the small drawer beside her bed and dialed Ye Rin’s number. Ye Rin was quite freaked out when Se Kyoung told her about the fever. The assistant then ordered her to stay in bed until she comes.

Se Kyoung had predicted that her condition would get worse since she couldn’t rest both her eyes and mind even for a second last night. The first cause might be her unwell condition at the first place. But the thing that happened last night might surely be the main cause of the high fever she had this morning.

After gathering some strength, Se Kyoung decided to get up and cook some ramen for breakfast. A call on her phone then made her startled. It was Chanyeol.

“Hello?”

“Se Kyoung-ah! You okay? How’s your fever now?” Chanyeol howled, worried.

“I’m okay. It’s just a mild flu. I’ll get better soon. Oh, how do you know?”

“I just felt like dropping by your office before heading to the company. As I arrived there, your assistant told me that you had a fever so you wouldn’t come to work.”

“Ah, yeah… Don’t worry. I just need to rest a bit.”

“Really? I’ll come to your place maybe this afternoon.”

“Thank you, Chanyeol.”

He then hummed before hung up the call. Honestly, she liked it when someone close to her worried about her condition at time like this, but just by thinking about what Kris had said last night made her heart somehow flustered.

After finished her breakfast, Se Kyoung went to the living room and sat on the couch. She continuously pressed the buttons on the TV remote, looking for something good to watch.

Ding Dong! Ding Dong!

Se Kyoung walked to the front door and opened it. “Eonni! You okay?” Ye Rin exclaimed as she barged in to her boss’ house without minding the guy who had driven her there.

“You’re so bad in taking care of yourself, aren’t you?” the guy said, mocking her.

Se Kyoung heaved a sigh, “I’m not in the mood for arguing, Kris. Are you coming in or not?”

Kris walked his feet in without bothering to answer Se Kyoung’s question just now. He then seated comfortably on the couch.

“Eonni, I knew it! You didn’t have any paracetamol! Now, eat the soup I cooked you and drink the medicine! You should get some rest after that,” ordered Ye Rin.

Se Kyoung shook her head, “I’ve eaten my breakfast. Just give me the medicine and I’ll get to sleep.”

Ye Rin clicked her tongue and rolled her eyes on Se Kyoung. “What did you eat? Ramen?”

Se Kyoung simply nodded her head which earned a sigh from Ye Rin.

“It’s okay, Ye Rin-ah. Just give me the medicine,” Se Kyoung told her assistant.

“Okay, please take a seat and wait while I get you some water,” Ye Rin said.

“Ye—” Se Kyoung stopped herself as her eyes met Kris’ eyes. Recalling what had happened last night at the party, she decided to turn and follow Ye Rin to the kitchen.

Avoiding Kris might be the best thing she could think of right now. Last night her thoughts wouldn’t give it a rest for what Kris has done to her. She was wondering the whole night without a blink of sleep and instead of getting the answer, her fever just got worse.

She had two choices, actually: sitting in one room as Kris with the awkward atmosphere and might get the explanation, or avoiding him for the time being with less awkward feeling but no explanation. Her worsened fever finally forced her to choose the second option since her condition right now won’t be able to tolerate anything good nor bad things that would probably happen.

“I thought I told you to sit and wait,” Ye Rin grumbled as Se Kyoung entered the kitchen.

“Actually, I was wondering how did you two come together?” the boss asked, ignoring Ye Rin’s words.

Ye Rin threw a short glance to the living room where Kris seated. “Ah, you mean Kris-ssi? I met him at the drugstore, and then he offered me a ride to your house. Did you by any chance, tell him about your fever?”

Se Kyoung shook her head, “Nope, why is it?”

“Is that so? The moment he saw me paid for the paracetamol, he asked me if the medicine I bought was for you or not. I was quite surprised when he approached me with that lucky guess. I’m sure that we didn’t know each other until this morning. Do you know him?”

She heaved a sigh, “Unfortunately, yes. He’s Chanyeol’s cousin. Chanyeol brought him to the grand opening, Kris must have seen you there…” Se Kyoung replied.

“Ah, that explained much. But I’m still amazed with his wild yet lucky guess at the drugstore…”

Se Kyoung hurriedly gulped the medicine and spoke to her assistant, “I’ll get a shower.”

The thing is, Se Kyoung knew that it was obviously not a mere lucky guess since Kris was the one who told her about her fever.

 

……….

 

Se Kyoung’s POV

“Eonni, I put the medicine in the box near the fridge. You can heat up the soup for lunch. You have to get well soon, eonni, your work is waiting,” Ye Rin beamed as she walked to the door.

“Yeah, I know,” I replied shortly.

“I’ll send her off, you stay here,” Kris told me which I gave no response to.

Kris and I didn’t get a chance to talk anything about last night. Actually, I didn’t let a chance to because no matter how curious I was, I was still worried about the awkwardness between us.

About half an hour later I heard the doorbell rang. I thought it was Chanyeol because he told me that he would drop by my place this afternoon.

I heaved a sigh the time I opened the door and found out who the guess was.

“Is there something you left here?” I hissed.

Kris shook his head, “Can I come in?”

My head was still a little bit dizzy so to make it fast, I nodded my head and let him in.

“I’m here to tell you that Chanyeol won’t be able to come here,” he uttered.

I raised my brow, “Really? This morning he told me that he would come.”

“Yeah, he had to attend a sudden meeting and he asked me to give you a visit instead,” Kris replied.

My eyes obviously showed no interest in believing what he just said. I sighed and scoffed, “Don’t try to fool me, Kris. I know he will call me and tell me if something like this happens, instead of sending someone else to replace him.”

He shrugged then offered me his phone. “You can ask him now if you want.”

I snatched his phone and dialed Chanyeol’s number. It took a while before he answered, made me started to worry if Kris’s statement was true. The moment I finally decided to give up and hang up, Chanyeol answered.

“Hello? What is it, Kris? Is there something happened to Se Kyoung?”

I briefly looked up at Kris before turning my face away, avoiding his gaze. He was right.

“Chanyeol-ah, it’s me, Se Kyoung…”

“Ah, Se Kyoung I’m sorry, there’s a sudden meeting I should attend so I asked Kris to check on you. I’ll head to your place when it finishes. I’m really sorry…”

I bit my bottom lip and let out a short sigh. “No, no, it’s okay. I feel a lot better now, so you don’t need to worry…”

“Really? Ah, that’s such a relief, then. Oh, I think I need to go back in. See you, Kyoung-ah.”

“Yeah, see you…”

I inhaled some air as I pressed the end call button.

“See? I told you,” Kris sneered.

My lips pursued in to a thin smile then turned to face him. “Thank you for the phone and thank you for coming,” I said as I handed his phone back to him.

I should’ve trusted him on the first place, because it’s Park Chanyeol, the busiest man I have ever known. Is it really hard for him to pick up his phone to tell me about this matter? Well, I guess it’s supposed to be not that hard, since this guy sitting in my living room could get the straight order from Chanyeol.

“What’s wrong?” Kris’s question reached my ear, snapped me out of my thoughts.

I shrugged and simply shook my head. “Nothing.”

“I’m here to help you, so you can just ask anything from me but to leave you alone.”

He knew exactly what I wanted yet I couldn’t ask for it. Time like this, I feel like to be alone. Honestly, I really hate being alone, but being in a same room with Kris is the worst. First, he’s still quiet about what he did last night. Second, my fever isn’t getting any better. Third, for the umpteenth times I felt like being left out by Chanyeol. And last, I should stand these mixed up feelings with no other than Kris Wu.

We stayed silent for almost one hour. A great record though for me who dislikes silence. Both of us seated in our spot, watching a show in the television which is going to end in some minutes, I guess. My eyes were on the television this whole time but not with my mind. I didn’t even know what the show was about.

“That was a quite good show…” Kris broke in the silence.

“Oh—Y-Yeah,” I stuttered and sighed. “What do you want for drink? Snacks or something? I can cook you ramen if you want…” I continued as I stood up and walked in to the kitchen.

I heard some steps followed me to the kitchen and the second I turned, Kris was standing right behind me with his concern eyes. “I told you not to force yourself. Just stay seated and I—what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just my eyes are really sensitive to dust. It’s been a while since the last time I cleaned—”

“Stop,” he said as he grabbed both of my shoulders. He dragged me to the dining chair and seated me, facing him. “Now, please, can you just tell me what’s bothering you?”

His eyes gazed at mine while his hands slowly moving down then held my hands.

I don’t know what was gotten in to me. I just felt like he cared about me so much that I couldn’t help to finally open my mouth and told him my worry.

“I-It’s just I somehow doubt it that Chanyeol really takes this relationship seriously…”

Kris suddenly released his grip on my hands and leaned back on his chair. “Ah, Park Chanyeol it is. I’m sorry about my presence here instead of his…”

“No, no. It’s true that sometimes you can be so annoying, but you were the one who always there whenever I feel—you know, kind of desperate. I should be very grateful to you since Chanyeol asked you to come here…”

He let out a sigh and bent his head. “Do you really like Chanyeol?”

I raised my brow at this. This question should be easily to answer but suddenly doubt approached. “I-I don’t know why I should answer this question for you, but…of course I like him!” I replied. I didn’t even know why I stuttered.

“And what’s the matter, then? You have to believe in him.”

“Of-Of course I believe in him. I’m really sure that he’s good for me, but I can’t even believe that he never once held my hands.”

“Wha—Wait,” Kris choked as his eyes widened. I could see slight blushing red on his face before he covered it with his hand.

This scene strangely made me chuckled. “Why is it? Are you feeling uneasy? Then why did you kiss me that easily last night?” I blurted out.

His gaze suddenly softened before he cleared his throat. “It was just because I was concerned that you looked so lonely.”

I scoffed at this, “You even pitied me…”

“It’s not—”

I decided to rise from my seat and walk away from him. With those long legs of his, he could easily follow my steps and pull my hand to face him. “I did not and would never pity you.”

“Never mind, Kris, I should have opposed this set up thing. I’m now really wondering why I even said yes to this on the first place. Am I really looked pathetic that someone has to choose me a guy to marry with?”

My eyes started to teary, but I couldn’t stop right there. “Where is Chanyeol every time I feel alone? When I sick? I could barely feel his presence even when we’re together…”

“Se Kyoung—”

“I’m sorry for troubling you to come here. You’re not supposed to be here with all problems I have, Kris.”

Suddenly I felt arms wrapped my shoulders from behind, made my heart skip a beat. “I came here because I want to—”

“Because I look so lonely that you pity me, right?” I cut him off in frustration.

“Could you stop?” He turned me to face him. Our eyes met and that moment I saw his dark brown eyes clearly full with emotion that I couldn’t understand.

“Are you that dense?” He let out a sigh before turned his face away. “I could have kissed you more than last night, I could have driven you home straight as soon as I knew you were burning, I could have stayed by your side the whole night to take care of you, but know what? I had to stop myself because of only the fact that you’re going to marry Chanyeol. Chanyeol, who I see as a real sibling for me.”

I froze in my spot, shocked of what he just said. Actually, I couldn’t really get the whole thing altogether, but those words sure managed to make my heart raced faster.

Kris pulled me in his arms. I didn’t even care if he could hear my heartbeat because his embrace was really warm and comforting.

He rubbed my back slowly as he deepened the hug. “I-I’m sorry for saying this nonsense, but I don’t think I could hold it back anymore. I hate to see you like this. You know? I could have had let myself die at the accident, but no, hearing your voice made me realize that I have to stay alive so that I can see you…”

All this time I have always think that he hated me because of his teasing, but with this shocking acknowledgement he told me just now, my heart somehow feels at ease.

Ding Dong!

The doorbell startled us and made him broke the hug.

“I’ll go check it,” Kris said as he stepped out of the kitchen, but then stopped the moment he saw Chanyeol had walked in.

“Ah, you’re here,” Chanyeol said as he walked past Kris, approaching me. “I’m sorry, I should have come sooner.” He grabbed my hands and held them tight as he wouldn’t let them go.

I looked at him and frowned. It was just odd when Chanyeol didn’t even drop a ‘hi’ to Kris.

 

……….

 

Author’s POV

“Eonni, don’t you think that this dress is too revealing for winter outfit?” Ye Rin asked when she saw the newest design her boss is working on.

After some seconds hearing no answer from Se Kyoung, Ye Rin shifted her attention to the woman beside her. “Eonnie, are you okay? Hasn’t your fever gone already? Is there something bothering you?”

Se Kyoung then reached out her phone and unlocked it to see if any new messages or calls received. “Where the hell is he?” she grunted as she found none of them.

“Pardon?” Ye Rin asked which got another silence from Se Kyoung.

Ye Rin let out a sigh and decided to walk back to her desk. Not long after she leaned her back to her chair, Se Kyoung approached her with confusing look.

“Ye Rin-ah, it’s my friend’s story, not mine,” Se Kyoung finally spoke which gained a puzzled look form Ye Rin because of Se Kyoung’s sudden utterance and not to mention, her odd behavior for the last three days. She cleared then went on, “A guy who just recently, uh, kind of confessed to her suddenly disappeared and I didn’t—no, I meant she didn’t get a word from him since the last time they met. He didn’t even text me—I meant her. Yeah, her. I told you this is about my friend, not mi—”

“Wait, Park Chanyeol proposed to you and left without a word?” Ye Rin cut her off.

Se Kyoung eyes widened, “Wait, what? Proposed? No! I-I told you this is not about me!”

This assistant of her threw some suspicious gazes to Se Kyoung. She acted so weird these days and yet she told her about this thing all of a sudden. “What do you want me to do about it?”

“Well, you can give me your opinion about this guy, I guess.”

Ye Rin put her index finger under her chin. “Hmm, you know, eonni, I don’t really know what to say about this since I don’t know much about dating or relationship-related stuff, but this guy you told me about, I think he’s just a coward.” Ye Rin sensed a slight change of expression on Se Kyoung’s face.

“A coward? What do you meant by that?”

“Because I think he’s not even serious about it. It looks like he’s only playing around with you—ah, I meant with your friend. He kind of confessed and left without caring of how the person will feel after that. If he’s being serious, he wouldn’t have left.”

Her reply made Se Kyoung silent for a moment. Her mind agreed with this, but her chest was tightening as her heart felt the other way around.

A knock on the door snapped her from the wondering thoughts. Ye Rin rose from her seat to open the door, but then Se Kyoung gestured her to remain seated and walked herself to the door.

A bouquet of red roses surprised Se Kyoung as she opened the door. “Good afternoon, Ms. Shim,” greeted a tall guy with a sweet wide smile on his face behind the bouquet.

“Ah, thank you,” Se Kyoung’s lips pursued a thin smile the moment Chanyeol handed the bouquet to her.

“Are you busy?” Chanyeol asked as he threw glances around her office then smiled when he saw Ye Rin.

Se Kyoung shook her head, “No, I’m not. I-I’m sorry you have to see this messy room. I should have cleaned it a bit if I had known that you were coming.”

“It’s okay. I have finished my works earlier and with some free time I got today, I thought of dropping by your office and asking you out for lunch. Do you mind?” he asked as he offered his arm for her to hold.

After a short doubt, she finally nodded and held his arm before stepping out of her office.

 

……….

 

Kris placed the cup on the coffee table before grabbing his black blazer and stood up.

“Where are you going?” asked the guy who has been sitting with him for the last two hours.

“I’m going back to Canada,” Kris replied.

“Wait, when? Why so sudden?”

“As soon as possible, I guess.”

“Like, right now? Why is it?”

The tall guy sighed as he put on his blazer. “Junmyeon, tomorrow is the 14th of May.”

Junmyeon shook his head. “I thought you’ve moved on from that tombstone.”

Kris let out another sigh, “I’m just keeping the promise I’ve made.”

“She will be very sad to see you act like this. I know that you’ve promised her that you will never leave her, but Da Eun is not in this world anymore, Kris.”

Kris gave no answer to this.

Junmyeon rose from the sofa and walked towards his best friend. “Da Eun won’t be happy if you’re not happy here…”

“She is my happiness.”

“She was your happiness. I’m not telling you to totally forget about her. You can treat her as a precious memory, but not as a living one. You know, it’s been three years since her decease and I could clearly see your interest in that ‘heels’ girl.”

“Don’t kid around. It might be true that I like her, but I won’t be able to have her, so why do I have to fight for it?”

“Hey, this is not Wu Yi Fan I’ve known. The one I knew was always optimistic to get what he wants. Do you want to lose the woman you love again?”

“I’ve lost her when she’s not even mine yet,” Kris heaved a sigh.

Junmyeon frowned at this. “Why is it? She has a boyfriend?”

“She has her parents set her up with a guy to marry with. And the thing that makes it worse is the guy is Chanyeol.”

“Chanyeol? Do you mean your cousin Park Chanyeol?”

Kris nodded in despair, “Yeah, I wouldn’t take it so serious if it was another Chanyeol.”

No answer heard from Junmyeon after that. He just kept his mouth opened in shock.

“And, observing how he acted towards me these days, I think he figured out my true feelings to Se Kyoung.”

“H-How come?” asked Junmyeon.

“I was at her house, telling her about my feelings towards her and suddenly there he was, started to act like I wasn’t there.”

“Wow, this one is tough.”

Kris let out a short chuckle, “I don’t think he would let me take her away from him. He obviously showed it through his glares.”

“Well, I got it. I won’t interfere anymore. I’ll support any way you choose. It’s just… I don’t like seeing you concede in vain, Kris,” Junmyeon remarked as he patted Kris’ shoulder.

 

……….

 

Se Kyoung stirred her soup in front of her with her spoon before letting the umpteenth sigh out of .

“Why is it, Se Kyoung-ah? Are you feeling sick? Or is it the food you dislike?” asked Chanyeol who seated across from her. He realized that Se Kyoung has been acting weird since he came to her office.

The woman just shook her head and gave him a thin reassuring smile.

It was obvious, what has made her acted like this. A scene that Chanyeol witnessed the other day at Se Kyoung’s place drifted to his mind. His cousin, Kris, was clearly confessed to her and her odd behavior somehow made Chanyeol felt restless. He was afraid that this girl sitting in front of him will leave him for Kris.

Chanyeol then took a grip, decided to move forwards before it’s too late. “Se Kyoung-ah,” he called her to gain her full attention. Se Kyoung narrowed her brows, confused as he stood up and kneeled before her.

“I know that it’s been only five months since we’ve seen each other again, but I would like to make sure that we’re on the same boat. I’ve been thinking about this whole thing our parents set for us and I see no problem with it because the girl is you, Se Kyoung. I’m sure that you’re the best for me and I hope that I can be the best for you too,” said Chanyeol then pulled out a small box from his pocket.

He inhaled some air and went on, “I won’t force you with anything, but I wish you could consider it.”

This is too sudden for her. Her mind has been quite busy with Kris and Chanyeol sudden proposal made her even more flustered. But then, whatever happened or will happen in the future, she has to decide what her priority is and where this relationship should go.

Besides, Chanyeol is right. Her parents did not set her up with a stranger. The guy is Chanyeol. He is good to her and not to mention, both of the families have a really good relationship for a long term.

She glanced around to find out that most of the customers in the restaurant had their eyes on both of them. Some of them even looked more excited than she was.

After some thoughts, Se Kyoung finally decided to nod her head and gave Chanyeol a smile which means a ‘yes’. Chanyeol couldn’t find himself happier that his lips smiled from ear to ear. He then opened the small box and took a white gold ring with a cushion cut diamond on the top of it. The ring looked simple yet still stunning that made some of women customers gasped at it.

Chanyeol took her left hand and put the ring on her ring finger. He stared at her hand for a moment before landed a peck on it. Se Kyoung then wrapped her arms around him who couldn’t stop smiling. “Thank you, Se Kyoung-ah. Thank you…”

 

-TBC-