Prologue

"But... You're My Boss!"

“Keys?”

“Over on the table beside the door.”

“Wallet?”

“In your jacket pocket.”

“Jacket?”

“Slumped over the chair in the kitchen.”

“Thanks babe.”

With one kiss on the cheek of his beloved he grabbed each of the items and quickly left the house, leaving his husband standing in the middle of the hallway simply sighing as he watched the front door shut. It was a regular routine every morning, he and his husband woke up, shared one peck on the lips before each of them roamed to their separate bathrooms to get ready for the day ahead. After each of them had gotten ready, they make their way downstairs together, and drink a cup of coffee. Afterwards, he and his husband kiss one more time before the questions began. And he’s left standing in the hallway alone, every time.

The one left alone, downing his second cup of coffee of the morning, was named Kim Joonmyun, a simple secretary who wasn’t due at work until another half an hour. His husband was Zhang Yixing, a rather famous CEO of a large pharmaceutical company that he inherited from his father.

And they had the perfect marriage…

Supposedly.

Although it was becoming way to repetitive and predictable for one of them – and it wasn’t the CEO. Joonmyun loved his husband to death, but just to add on to their regular morning routine, the rest of the day (and night) was the exact same every single day. His work was never exciting and he was ordered to do the same things for his boss as you would expect, you’d think that when he came home to his loving husband that it wouldn’t be all boring.

Except in was. If he got home before Yixing (which happened a lot), the first thing he’d do would be to make something to eat for himself and his partner.

Then Yixing would get home, they’d eat, make small talk and then Yixing would go to his study room to complete forms and such for the next day. That would be the end of their small talk until Joonmyun insisted they go to bed so they had enough rest. In bed, they’d watch a movie or read a book, peck each other good night and go to sleep.

Joonmyun was in a boring, predictable and mostly less marriage.

Sighing into his now third cup of coffee as the time passed by – he may have a slight caffeine addiction – Joonmyun got up and fixed his skinny blue tie, shoving on his grey jacket and rushing towards the front door to unlock it and get ready to work.

He jumped into his white SUV and drove straight to work.

Joonmyun worked for a large cosmetic company. He actually enjoyed working there since his boss wasn’t the most overworking sadist in all of Korea, and he was pretty much appreciated, at least he hoped so, by his boss. And his co-workers were friendly enough. As he got into the company, he smiled pleasantly at the everyone he passed since he knew just about everyone that worked there.

As far as he knew, he was mostly liked by everyone, and he never did anything that would garner dislike or disrespect towards him.

He got to his office – that was situated outside his bosses – and threw his jacket around his chair before he sat down. Joonmyun sighed sweetly as he stared at the clock noticing he was ten minutes early meaning, he had another ten minutes to relax before his boss made his way into the office.

“Joonmyun, hey!” His co-worker shouted as he arrived to his own table which was situated right across from Joonmyun’s. When he looked up, he smiled at the boy who was at least a few years younger than him.

“Hey Jongin.” Joonmyun replied, waving a little before standing up and walking over to the coffee maker.

Jongin watched his co-worker moved and he smiled.

“How’s married life?” He asked, walking up behind Joonmyun so he could get a cup of coffee after him. Joonmyun shrugged and smiled at him, before answering him back.

“All good.”

“Really?” Jongin asked, narrowing his eyes a little suspiciously at the handsome co-worker of his, before he continued on. “Is that why I’m guessing that’s your, I don’t know, fourth cup of coffee this morning?” After those words left his mouth, Joonmyun froze as he was filling up his cup. Well, he couldn’t exactly deny it was the truth.

“How did you know that, exactly?” He asked whilst Jongin just shrugged back at him.

The silence between them was a little awkward since Joonmyun was rather positive that Jongin thought his marriage to Yixing was crumbling beneath his fingertips. It was snipes like that every day but Joonmyun was too nice to call him on it. He got back to his seat and his computer, ready for the day ahead of him. Ah how he hoped that it was going to be an easy day.

When he heard the door to the office opened, he and Jongin stood up almost immediately to welcome his boss in for the week. When he walked in, Joonmyun wasn’t expecting someone following him closely, laughing whilst his boss looked murderous.

They stopped directly in the middle of the room before they even got to the boss’s own private office. Joonmyun stayed standing as he watched the confrontation.

“Why are you even here Jongdae?” Joonmyun’s boss shouted, turning around on his heel to stare at the random person in the room. It looked like they knew each other very well. When Jongdae just laughed, his boss almost growled out loud at how offensive he was being. “Jongdae, just tell me.”

Jongdae sighed and stopped his manic giggling before finally answering the CEO of the company he was currently in. Moving a couple of steps closer to the older man, he placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled in a way that had no kindness in it whatsoever.

His voice was low and deep.

“You know why, my dear cousin, what you’ve been waiting for – that’s why I’m here.”

“…Why? After all of this time?”

“Well because it’s my inheritance. And I’ve finally come to realise that I need to actually do something with my life and taking over my father’s company is something that will help me do that. Which means, sadly, we need to discuss your removal from CEO status.”

Joonmyun and Jongin were simply staring at the encounter in the middle of the room. They couldn’t believe what they were hearing and how sudden it was, but more so, they were interested in hearing what the current CEO was going to do about it. The man looked annoyed and he tapped his foot out of impatience of the entire situation. He looked up at Jongdae and motioned him to follow him into his office, earning a grin in return.

As the two men walked past the secretaries, the one named Jongdae turned and looked at Joonmyun who was staring directly back. There were a few seconds of awkward silence between them.

Then Jongdae finally moved into the CEO’s office and shut the door.

“Holy crap that was intense.” Jongin said at the other side of the room, sitting on his chair finally and letting out a sigh of relief that it was over. Then he looked at Joonmyun who had a blank stare on his face. “You alright Joon?” He asked slowly.

Joonmyun shook his head and chuckled at his friend before nodding and getting his boss’s schedule up on his computer. He wondered if the encounter was going to change the day.

He better ask.

Jongin watched as his friend stood up and walked over to their boss’s office, wondering if the boy was crazy enough to actually go in.

It looked like he was.

Joonmyun knocked on the clean white double doors twice before entering, aware that both of the men’s eyes were directly on him but he was only interested in one of them – the one that was due in a meeting in five minutes, and he was pretty sure it wasn’t this one. Nodding at the two men, he moved closer to the CEO and reported about the meeting. But he was met with silence which was unusual.

“Sir?” He repeated, looking at his boss who was currently just staring at his clasped hands as if he was in deep thought about something.

Joonmyun looked waited for a second longer before he was finally acknowledged. The CEO stood up from his desk and buttoned up his suit jacket before looking at Joonmyun and giving him new orders whilst he pointed at Jongdae who was still sitting and smirking at the secretary.

“Please accompany Jongdae to the meeting room, you’ll have my resignation notice when you get back. It was lovely working with you Kim Joonmyun, now, if you’d excuse me.”

The CEO (or ex CEO) left the room and left the two men inside in silence. Joonmyun wasn’t entirely sure what had just happened. Did his boss just quit on him? Was he now supposed to help this man who had literally just arrived and looked like he knew nothing whatsoever about the cosmetic company? With a sigh, he turned around to Jongdae and smiled at him with a nod before speaking as calmly as he could – although he was hardly happy with the entire situation. Jongdae stood up as the secretary began to speak.

“Well sir, if you’d follow me to the meeting room, I can prep you along the way on the topics.” The secretary explained before motioning to the door.

“Well, well, well, if I knew you’d come with the job I would have taken over the position a long time ago.” Jongdae complimented, moving over to the other who seemed rather surprised at the comment. It was hardly appropriate. “Now, I’ll follow you…” Jongdae smirked as his eyes travelled down the others body, “anywhere.”



A/N: Just a little prologue for you guys! Hope you enjoy the idea, mwah~ <3