Silver Box

Vampire Be I

 

“So... what are we doing here exactly?” BI asked in a serious, almost demanding voice, not that he really had any other mode of speaking.

“Enjoying the view.” Bobby grinned, pointing out the window at the end of the school's East wing, where a lovely grey mist made sure they saw absolutely nothing.

“Riiight.” BI said unconvinced, his eyes darting from side to side so fast that it was hard to catch, but he was definitely surveilling their surroundings. There was absolutely no one around, since this part of school was barely in use anymore. BI seemed unconvinced that this was worth the storm of trouble that was headed their way.

“Who said the view was out there. I'm pretty nice to look at, even if I say so myself.” Bobby smirked, hardly believing that the source of those words was his own mouth, even though they were clearly spoken in his voice. What was he playing at? Was he flirting... with a vampire?? In an abandoned hallway no less, with no back up and nobody knew where they had gone. He couldn't believe how irresponsible he was being. This wasn't him, at all. He didn't even know how to flirt, and he certainly had no reason to be bragging about his unimpressive looks, especially in the presence of pure beauty. It was ridiculous, really. He started wondering whether he was really in control of his own faculties, or whether they were under outside influence. It was not like he had never read vampire stories, although he was doing his best not to let that cloud his judgment. He didn't want to stoop to the level of the school's gossips. However, even the tallest tales had their roots in reality. The stories about the vampires' power to control people, to put people under their spell, didn't seem as farfetched as they should have.

“No argument there.” BI stared at him with hungry eyes. Bobby swallowed, feeling drops of cold sweat crawl past his ear. His heart was pounding as hard as it could, begging him to save them both and get the hell out of there. Yet, there was a voice in his head that whispered 'kiss him' over and over. Was it BI's voice? Perhaps a mesmerizing spell to get him to commit suicide, offering himself up to him 'willingly', doing him the favor of letting him kill him, drinking up every last drop of his blood. The hairs at the back of his neck stood on edge, a shiver sneaking down his spine. Whatever method he was using, it was working. Bobby felt himself drawn to him, a force stronger than himself, slowly causing him to lean in.

Suddenly, the hallway was filled with the echoes of footsteps. Bobby snapped out of it. They were here. His heart did a double take. It wanted to escape, frustrated by its incarceration inside a lunatic's body, but he stood his ground. He positioned himself right in front of BI, watching as a team of big, armor-covered guards invaded the corridor, heading straight for them.

“Step aside. It's for your own safety.” a guard instructed him, his voice muffled by the black helmet he was wearing. Their gear was overwhelmingly over the top, sticking a sharp blade of fear through his gut as he wondered whether all this precaution was really called for. If so, it meant BI was more dangerous than he had imagined. Still. Against his own judgment, he didn't move an inch, holding his hands out, making a human wall between the guards and BI. He knew he wasn't strong enough to fight them and that he would unlikely last a full second if he tried, but he was counting on them having orders not to harm students.

“You can't treat him like this!” he gritted his teeth, disappointed in his shaky voice that fell short of sounding completely menacing. “He isn't hurting me or threatening me in any way. So leave us alone!” he added firmly, still holding his arms out even though they were growing tired.

The two front guys took a slow step forward, placing themselves within reaching length from him, their plan probably to grab him to get him out of the way before swarming in and subduing BI. He could sense BI stiffening up behind him like he was getting ready to fight back. Oh no. If there was ever a time to panic, now would be that time. If BI attacked, everything would be ruined. He would be sent to isolation, or worse, kicked out of the school and maybe jailed, and he would never see or hear from him again. And it would be his fault. He brought him here. BI hadn't wanted to come, but he had persuaded him to abandon his better judgment. And the only reason he was preparing to fight was to protect him, last time he had surrendered before anything bad could happen.

For a moment, the panic took over. He had lost control of the situation. He would be the reason for the failure of the whole integration program, since this incident would no doubt be used by skeptics to prove that integrating legends was indeed insanity, of which they had warned every day since the program started. No, he couldn't let that happen. He took a deep breath and reached back until he found BI's hand. It was balled into a fist. Softly, he put his hand over BI's fist, gently squeezing it until it relaxed enough for him to weave their fingers together, preventing him from forming a fist at all. The skin to skin contact sent a jolt of electricity up his arm, affecting his heart much like a defibrillator would.

“Let me speak to whomever is in charge!” he demanded, not backing down. This time his voice didn't disappoint, rather he was surprised at how authoritative and confident it sounded.

“Are you sure you're not being coerced in any way?” the guard closest to him asked. Good question. He didn't think so, but...was he? If you were being mind-controlled, were you aware of it? He didn't know what signs to look for, other than he had never in his life done anything as daring. His body was vibrating from all the adrenaline coursing through his body at the speed of light.

“I'm not! He's a person just like the rest of us, he isn't hurting anyone, so leave him alone! He has the right to live his life, so he should be able to walk down a simple corridor without being tackled by a swat team and taken heaven knows where! If you don't leave him be, I'm going to the media. Integration does not mean incarceration.” he threatened, his whole being on fire. He realized he really believed in what he was saying. It felt good to actually fight for a cause, the right cause. Good, and terrifying. He had no idea what was going to happen to him. They had all the means to just make him disappear.

There was a moment where nobody did anything, nor said anything while his words silently echoed around them. The only sound he heard was his heart, beating desperately. And then, without warning, the guards just turned around and left.

It took a moment to sink in that he had won. He had actually won. Him against a whole squad of heavily armed guards, and he came out victorious. Nobody was ever going to believe that, he didn't either. And then he realized they were still holding hands. He froze, all his courage evaporating like an ice cube in the Sahara dessert. Before he could decide what to do, BI used their linked hands to twirl him around like they were ballroom dancing. He came to an abrupt stop right in front of him, BI looking him right in the eyes without even blinking. He was staring right into his soul, reading all there was to read, and he didn't even try to stop him. Without meaning to, Bobby's body started leaning forward as if he was going in for a kiss. BI's powers were strong, they were impossible to fight. It was out of his control now, his body was on autopilot, getting its instructions from BI and not him. Slowly, steadily, his lips got closer and closer to BI's. He wondered how it was going to feel, kissing a guy for the first time, and then not live to tell about it.

“Why'd you do that?!?” BI growled, stopping Bobby in his tracks. Their faces were so close that he could feel his breath on his face. It was warm. For some inexplicable reason he had expected it to be cold, but that didn't really make sense since BI was warm to the touch, just like everyone else. BI looked mad. Furious. It was almost scary, but he just couldn't find it in himself to be afraid of him. Maybe he was lacking some basic survival instinct, a gene abnormality or some kind of fundamental flaw in his system.

“You could have been seriously hurt! Don't ever do that again!!” BI snarled at him, his nostrils flaring.

“I don't have to, I've already shown them who's boss.” Bobby smiled cockily, ignoring the intensely angry vampire standing well within biting distance. But then the most amazing thing happened. BI chuckled. It gave him much more of a shock than the anger. He didn't know he was capable of laughing or anything remotely like it. The chuckle tickled something hidden deep inside him.

“The only kind of boss you are, is the boss of bull!” BI scoffed, but he looked genuinely pleased. Or no, he had the same stoic, unreadable expression as always, but Bobby could feel it, sense it.

“So you going to let go of my hand now?” Bobby smirked, worrying that he was starting to sweat since his hand felt like it was on fire. He didn't want to gross him out.

“No.” he simply said and lead him down the hallway.

 

The next day at lunch not only was BI waiting for him at the corner table, but so was a feast of food and a small little silver box.

 

 

______________________________________

A/N: Happy Bobby-solo!!

Ah, that smile in the 'I Love You' mv, SO PRETTY!!

*flails*

*dies*

*comes back to life to flail some more*