Choices

Vampire Be I

 

“Dude!” Junhoe waved him over, he was standing on the opposite side of the hallway, across from his classroom. It kind of looked like he had been waiting for him. Intrigued, he crossed the hall, feeling himself get shyer with every step.

“Are you alright?!” he asked in a hushed voice, concerned.

“Eee.. yeah? What's up?” Bobby replied confused. Had something happened?

“Seriously dude, you shouldn't hang out with that thing!” Junhoe insisted, adding “...that... guy.” when he saw Bobby's frown at the sound of 'that thing'.

“I mean, you saw how it.. he.. was earlier at lunch, he was crazy, he looked like he was going to eat me alive! I couldn't get out of there fast enough! He's dangerous, really dangerous. You shouldn't go over there anymore, who knows what could happen, you know. You don't want to take any chances when it's your life we're talking about. Like, what would your mom say? Think about that!” Junhoe pleaded. He was dead serious. Bobby thought he was being a bit dramatic, but it was the cutest drama fit he had ever seen. He couldn't believe he was actually concerned about him. He had always thought he was completely invisible to him. He swallowed a giggle, since it would have been highly inappropriate to laugh when Junhoe was talking like he was the lead in a vampire movie, trying to give advice to the clueless student that would die by the hands of the vampire before the first act was even over.

“Look, if you need a place to have lunch, you can always come over to my table. You're welcome anytime.” Junhoe sent him a wink that went straight through his heart like an arrow, turning his feet into jelly, making it hard for him to keep his balance. At that very moment, he felt like an iron claw had gotten its hold on his upper arm, locking itself around it with super strength, whisking him away with such force that he felt like he was flying.

It took a few seconds for him to realize what was happening. BI had grabbed his arm and was pulling him at an alarming speed down the hallway and out of the school. He was surprisingly strong, almost scarily so. Maybe Junhoe was right. Maybe he was dangerous. He wanted to tell him to let go, to beg him to stop, but he couldn't find his voice. His arm hurt something fierce, so much so that the tears were lining up, waiting for their chance to escape.

“Stop! What are you doing?!” he yelled once they reached the stairs in front of the school entrance. He had been aiming for an indignant, empowered tone of voice, but instead he sounded like a frightened little schoolgirl.

“Oh..” BI stopped at once and let him go. “Eh.. nothing.” he added before he turned around and left.

“Wait!” Bobby automatically shouted after him, starting to chase him although he wasn't really sure why. Did he want an explanation for the injustice he had just suffered? His arm still stung even though it had been a while since BI released it. Or was he perhaps curious where he went every day after school? He couldn't deny it, he did want to know that. What had his intentions been? Had he intended to feast on him, not realizing what he was doing in his blood crazy monster mode?

Bobby realized that he was only chasing the air, BI had disappeared in the blink of an eye. Weird. How did he do that? He was nowhere to be seen. It hardly seemed possible, for there were not many hiding places in sight. Could he... fly? Or did he have super speed? Man, he was starting to sound like Jinhwan.

 

Bobby walked home in a daze, rubbing his arm that was still seriously sore, when suddenly it hit him. Junhoe had asked him to join his table. Anytime, he had said. Anytime! For the first time since he started this school, Junhoe had acknowledged his existence. For the first time since he developed his very one-sided, very intense crush on him, he actually had a chance. Or he could at least easily kid himself that he had a chance.

He couldn't believe he had really been considering whether to choose him or BI. For it was clearly one or the other. He had to choose. He got the feeling he couldn't be friends with both of them at the same time. But he was not in his right mind if he didn't take this rare and wonderful chance to finally hang out with Junhoe. To see if he really had a shot at being with him. He couldn't remember how many times he had dreamt of this very day, this very moment. There was no way he was going to let his misplaced empathy ruin the chance of a lifetime. So what if BI would go back to being completely alone and isolated. It wasn't his problem. BI could reach out to the other kids if he wanted to. Heck, he hadn't even properly reached out to him, and he had been more than generous with his lunchtime, spending all of it with him, even starving since he didn't dare eat in front of him. He was that thoughtful. And what had he gotten in return? One answer to one question. One.

It was true that BI was strangely often on his mind and he was oddly drawn to him when he was in his presence. The image of his puckered lips from earlier flashed before his eyes and he remembered how much he had wanted to kiss them. He could almost feel it. No, that had definitely been the product of the use of some creepy vampiric powers that would only get him in trouble. Junhoe was right. Hanging out with him was dangerous. And even if it wasn't, he was in love with Junhoe. Ah, Junhoe. Sweet, beautiful Junhoe. Yes, of course he chose Junhoe, a million times Junhoe.