001/1

I Thought of You

Chanyeol rubbed his temples with a deep sigh. His pen that was in his hands a second before collided with his desk and rolled until it fell off the surface. His assistant standing in front of him cringed at every move he made, for he was the deliverer of bad news to the young police chief. 


“Please tell me you're kidding.”


The assistant shook his head. “I wish I was. The team that made it to the scene first collected the boy’s phone. There is no pass code and it seems there was was a video recorded right before he hung himself.”


Chanyeol finally opened his eyes and allowed his back to rest against his chair. He took one last breath before pushing the chair behind him with the back of his knees, walking past the assistant while straightening out his button up. 


With high school seniors exam results in and released, the suicide rate flourished. Every year, during this time, there was the most suicides from high school seniors. This particular case was, with respect, the fifth call that afternoon. 


Chanyeol forced his feet not to drag behind him as he felt the contents of lunch rumbling. He bit his lip in frustration as he entered the room where forensic and police were waiting for him. They greeted him and without a word handed the phone to him. It was already on, the thumbnail of the young boy sitting there. He clicked play and prepared himself emotionally for this. 

“Hey Mother, Father. Thank you both so much...for always loving me. For taking care of me from before birth to now. I just wanted to let you know that I tried hard. I really did. I stayed at school the latest I could. I stayed up all night studying everyday. I'm sorry I was born so dumb.”

Chanyeol sat down, his legs almost giving out as the boy lost control and began crying. He glanced quickly up and saw the tears welling in Kris, the policeman who had handed him the phone. 

“Its not you, mom and dad. It's not your fault at all. It's all me. I'm sorry I failed you both! I can't live knowing that I brought dishonor to you both. I'd rather be dead than see your disappointed faces.”

He blinked the tears away as the boy stood up to turn the phone off. After that, Chanyeol presumed the boy went through with his intentions. Closing his eyes, he sighed. He handed the phone back to Kris and stayed put. 

“Name?”

“Baekhyun. Lee Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol felt his heart lurch forward. 

“Okay. You know what to do. I'll be in my office if you need me.”

He didn't wait for a reply and pushed past the crowd of police officers rushing in and out from calls. He took refuge in his room, out of breath and shaking terribly. He sat into his seat with heaviness, dropping his head down onto his desk. Memories were coming back from a time that he didn't want to remember. When he closed his eyes, he saw the same tear-streaked face at the edge of a building, but even with them open, everything reminded him of that time. 

His hands were beginning to be clammy and tears had made it through the slits of his eyes.

There was a light knock before the door opened. He already knew who it was going to be. A rough hand combed through his hair and he could smell the woman's flowery perfume. 

It was Mrs. Byun.

“I heard.”

He nodded.

“I just wanted to remind you again that it isn't your fault.”

He couldn't control his emotions any longer. He sat up, letting his tears fall freely as he looked into the aging woman's eyes. Those same downward eyes. Her eyes glimmered with tears as well. 

In that second, Chanyeol felt sorry that he was still like this. He felt sorry that even though ten years since his last high school year had passed, he wasn't able to move on and marry a nice girl who could conceive or man who would be faithful. He was sorry that he would forever remind Mrs. Byun of her son. The son she had lost. The one he was intent on spending the rest of his life with.

She let out a defeated cry for help before walking over to him and embracing him. Her embrace and comfort was all too familiar.