Chapter Two

Love of Red Moon

What's crazier than a person allergic to chicken gets herself a chicken jumbo box? It is probably that certain girl getting herself 2 chicken jumbo boxes, and this is exactly what her current situation is.

The 25-year-old Bae Joohyun pants rapidly after going upstairs with both hands fully-occupied. She has no choice but to press the doorbell button with her nose.

Typical doorbell melody penetrates the wooden material and echoes in the corridor. Undoubtedly, the front door remains untouched.

Joohyun loses her patience after her third but in vain attempt. She releases her grip and lets out a low grown, not caring whether the oily paper boxes will leave a trace on the ground.

“Park Sooyoung! Open the door!” She yells while bumping the door with her fists, hopefully the called girl in their shared apartment will take notice of her.

Accepting the fact that the door will not be opened anytime soon, she tries to fish out the key from her bag with her fingers moving like a claw crane which can be commonly spotted in arcade.

She turns the knob counter-clockwisely after successfully inserted the little shiny object. And slams it shut when she’s greeted with the sight of one’s back.

The resident staying really close to the computer monitor immediately leans back on her chair and removes her headset after the loud thud.

She turns around, just in time to catch the incoming flying metal.

“You should be glad I have joined the baseball team during schooldays. Otherwise you will be stood accused of domestic abuse right now.”

“You are no sister to me.” Joohyun states in a stern tone while kicking off her shoes.

Sooyoung puts down the key beside her mouse and walks to her sister, trying to make a formal greeting to the fuming woman.

“Sorry unnie. I swear to Satan I hear nothing before the door crashing into the doorframe.” She holds her older sister’s hand and guides her to the nearest chair, gently massaging the shoulders which belongs to a deflated-ball in human form.

Joohyun closes her eyes and hums in pleasure, enjoying the peaceful atmosphere she and her sister temporarily had. Few minutes later, she slowly rises from her seat as she feels that the pressure on her body has a noticeable loss.

“Go wash your hands. I buy you chicken.”

The younger girl gives her a quick peck on the cheek before leaping towards the bathroom.

 

 

“Did you lose your job by burning your client’s tuxedo again?” Sooyoung casually asks while devouring her favourite chicken drumstick.

“No! I have never getting anything burnt ever since I start working in the tailor shop!”

“How did you get sacked then?” Another drumstick vanished.

“Technically I am laid off due to the close down of the shop. Mr and Mrs Jung have decided to move back to America.”

“Who's in charge of the electricity and water bills then?”

"Wow dear, it sounds as if you have ever paid the bills." The older one mocks and shoots a death stare before taking out an envelope from her coat pocket. “Don’t worry. They have offered me 3-month salary in advance. I will take a short break before finding my next job.”

“Congratulations then. Can you pass me the chicken wings please?”

Joohyun rolls her eyes as she pushes the giant box to her sister. The barbecue sauce of the chicken wings smells good and the pure white sesame seeds seasoning look tempting. She takes a deep breath and exhales. It surely does help her to fight back the urge to take a bite of the juicy meat.

“It’s unnecessary to congratulate on my unemployment. We are jobless siblings after all right?”

“Not even close unnie." The younger one pauses as she gnaws on the bones.

"What do you mean?"

"I have got myself a home office job 2 weeks ago.”

“You do?”

“I do, I do, I do do do do do do do do~” Sooyoung playfully sings in response, completely unaware of the fact that her spit mixed with chicken fat has sprinkled all over the table.

"Yah this is unhygienic!" The frowning older girl quickly grabs some tissues to silence the chicken maniac, hoping that it is able to prevent her producing more long vowel sounds too.

 

 

Odetojoy: guise im back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jinri: wb

Yerimone: what took u so long?

Odetojoy: dinner with my sis

Odetojoy: we have chicken for dinnerrrrrr

Odetojoy: arrrrr that’s so good

Odetojoy: hey yeri where are u going?

Yerimone: go offline

Odetojoy: what? Boss’s gonna spawn soon

Yerimone: u2 go kill it, im tired alr

Jinri: hey wait

[Yerimone has left the team.]

[Yerimone has disconnected.]

Jinri: …

Odetojoy: …

Jinri: I doubt if we can kill dat stupid spider with the absence of a mage

Odetojoy: ^

Jinri: dismiss then

Odetojoy: kk

[Odetojoy has left the team.]

[Your team has been dismissed.]

 

 

Sooyoung leaves her chair and heads back to the bedroom. Her older sister looks struggling hard with the old laptop as expected.

“Alright unnie, I am free now. Need tutorial?”

“I can’t even download the game! It says that this computer has not connected to a network.”

The younger girl checks the computer and presses an orange signal on top of the “Esc” key. The webpage starts loading when the signal flickers and end up in blue.

“This is the internet connection sign unnie. It means disabled if it appears orange.”

Joohyun nods and clicks the “download game” button. She follows her sister retreated to the dining room since the installation may take a long time.

There’s a tall girl dresses in black robe wandering around an abandoned temple. Joohyun wonders how is her sister able to find her way when the dim paths look almost the same.

“What are you doing here?”

“To find the great shaman and execute him.”

She stops at one pillar and opens her inventory, making sure that the fragment matches the totem on the pillar. When she drags the fragment from her bag to the round emblem, it slowly transforms into oval. To be exact, she has finally discovers the secret portal after 10-minute exploration of the ancient structure.

A white bearded man with a huge staff eagerly approaches when she sets foot on the newfound area. Sooyoung doesn’t hesitate to shoot him a skull blast. The scroll icon blinks right after he lies lifelessly on the stone floor.

“Savage.” The spectator concluded.

“Showing mercy to your enemy is the same as being cruel to yourself.”

“Why do you need to kill your fellow magician?”

“He’s from the light side. I am a dark mage.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Joohyun chuckles as she walks back to her room, surprised by the enormous crimson moon on the screen.

 

 

“Sooyoung-ah! I am ready!” The game rookie shouts of excitement. She nervously scrolls around the ranch, following the guards or the animals’ fixed movement. The grassy meadow, the barn, and the small stream do recall her good old days in Township.

“Sorry unnie I’m not coming. I am invited to explore a new dungeon.”

“What should I do then? Where can I harvest the crop?”

“You are not here to farm unnie! Kill the animals to level up!”

Joohyun cannot help but laughs hysterically during her slaughter time with the wooden hammer, which is her very first weapon given by a farmer. Because it’s more than weird when every creature, including the animal itself has a name above its head. She finds out that their names are not even unique when another ox named “Peter” has been knocked out.

The scroll icon blinks when she has reached level 10. She clicks on the icon and a new quest pops up.

[Make your way to CrescentVille. Find Sooman the mentor (73,102) to apply for retraining.]

"Sooyoung-ah! I am leaving the ranch now." The older girl yells and soon the approaching footsteps can be heard.

"Wow unnie, I can't believe you are still alive in the ranch."

"How can I die when the animals are so weak?"

"You surely did't try to attack the NPC, did you?"

"What's the meaning of NPC?"

"Non-player character. Like the guards, the farmers and the villagers in the ranch." Sooyoung explains while pointing at the moving characters on the screen.

"Why would I attack the civilian?"

"You will be killed."

"And then?" Confused, she shifts her gaze to the younger one.

"Then you go type "for the name of crimson moon and the greater good" in map channel. Players below level 20 can revive by casting this spell."

"I don't think I can remember this long sentence."

"Easy. Don't die if you don't want to resurrect." She winks at Joohyun while giving her a thumbs up.

"Thanks for the advice. It's very useful." Joohyun rolls her eyes and heads to the portal on the far right of the map.

"My pleasure."

 

---

Thanks for the upvote, subscriptions and comments! Please do not be shy and share your thoughts with me.

Hopefully I will be able to post the next chapter around Seungwan's big day.

See you!

[Purplecacao has disconnected.]