Chapter 4: Dreams

We Are Family

Chapter 4: Dreams

The twins stared at each other and then back at the blank paper laid on their desk. Their teacher had given them a final week to make their decision, as it was important for their future. Who would have thought it would be so difficult to fill up a blank column which listed as "Future Career".

"Eunji-ya, let's just talk to Chorong-unnie about this. Thinking about this makes me hungry." said Bomi as she stood up from her desk.

"Again? As expected of Bomi, let's go get some bingsu on the way home." smiled Eunji as the two left the school compound. Today was a Friday which meant third-year schoolers stayed in school longer thus, Naeun and Namjoo were already back at home. Walking and taking a bus back home didn't really make much difference unless they wanted to exercise for 40 minutes. The twins didn't mind as they were used to walking far distances.

Soon, they reached a market near their home. But, there appears to be some event going on as several people crowded the centre. A huge banner was placed across the roof which read "Win prizes through talents!". As the twins went closer, there were all kinds of things that could be won. One thing in particular which caught their eye, was a radio. It was something all their sisters wished to have, as there was no other form of entertainment at home. The twins looked at each other and smiled.

"Thank you sir for showcasing your talent. You win a microwave! Now, is there anyone else who would like to participate?" said the MC.

"Excuse me sir, what do I have to do in order to win the radio?" said Eunji as she raised her hand.

"That's the grand prize young girl! Would you be willing to fight for it?"

"Uh....sure!" said Eunji as she suddenly went blank as to what she should do.

"I'll go first!" said Bomi as she bravely went up the stage first.

"Alright! What are you going to do? Sing? Showcase a unique talent? Dance?" asked the MC.

"Uh....I'll dance." answered Bomi as she suddenly became nervous.

"Is there any particular music you want us to play?"

"Anything will do...." said Bomi as she laughed nervously. She didn't really know what were the latest hits these days.

Then, music began to play loudly at the market's speakers. The sound resounded the entire place as Bomi slowly moved her body to the beat. Unconciously, Bomi found herself dancing even though she hasn't done it before. She twisted her body, moved her hips, did a wave. Strangely, she felt this sudden urge of enjoyment as the audience clapped for her.

"Wow, those are some good moves! You win a rice cooker!" said MC.

"Eh? Just a rice cooker?" said Bomi with a frown as she accepted the prize.

"Sir, I'm up next!" smiled Eunji as she went up the stage while patting Bomi's shoulder.

"Ok, what will you be doing?" asked the MC.

"Uh, I'll sing. Actually, it's a very old song that I heard when I was young. Big Mama's Yeon." replied Eunji as she took a deep breath.

As soon as she sang, the entire market turned silent. They were in awe of her powerful vocals which resounded their ears, her emotion moved everyone's hearts. For 3 minutes, everyone listened to this young high school girl who sang passionately all for a radio.

"Thank you." said Eunji as she finished her last line and bowed. Everyone clapped and cheered which made Eunji froze for a while. For some reason, she really enjoyed this thrill, she loved hearing the sound of claps echoing in her ears.

"Wow! You have an amazing talent! I think no one will be able to beat you! You win the grand prize, the radio is yours!" said the MC as he too, clapped in amazement.

"Yay! Bomi-ya, I won the radio!" grinned Eunji in joy as she lifted the radio up.

"Oh....nice!" said Bomi as she was still in awe at her twin's secret talent.

~On the way back home~

"Who would have thought that we would win something today?" laughed Bomi as she hugged the rice cooker while walking.

"I thought people would laugh at us for doing all that. But hey, you danced pretty cool." said Eunji as she looked at her.

"That's nothing really...it's just that I haven't been listening to music for awhile so my body just..."

"I think I know what I'm gonna write for my future career." said Eunji.

"Me too. Let's say it together." smiled Bomi.

"I'm gonna be a singer!" said the twins at the same time. Then, the two looked at each other with their eyes widened.

"I knew you were gonna say that." grinned Bomi.

"But weren't you gonna choose a dancer, since I saw you enjoying yourself and all that..." said Eunji, surprised at Bomi's decision.

"Actually, your singing inspired me. I thought it would be cool if I could sing and dance at the same time."

"Ah..well, dance isn't really for me."

"It's okay, singers don't really need to know how to dance anyway." smiled Bomi.

~At home~

"I wonder where your sisters are." sighed Chorong as she could only worry.

The three other sisters stared at the table, dinner was already ready but Chorong had insisted to wait for Bomi and Eunji to return before eating.

Naeun swallowed her saliva while Hayoung placed her head on her shoulder and slept. Namjoo however, secretly stole food and ate first when Chorong wasn't looking. Naeun saw this but didn't do anything, she could smile at her sister's cheekiness. Soon, there was noise at the entrance and Chorong went towards the door.

"Where were you? Do you know how late it-"

"Surprise!" grinned both Bomi and Eunji brightly as they showed their prizes in front of their sister.

"What's this?" asked Chorong as her anger dissapeared.

"We won this at the market today! Now, we can finally listen to music!" said Bomi as she quickly went to the corner, and plugged the radio into the power socket.

"And unnie, that rice cooker's so old and rusty. You can use this one, brand new." smiled Eunji as she placed the rice cooker aside.

"Alright, let's eat first." said Chorong as she smiled. She felt a sense of reassurance and relief at the items her sisters brought back.

~X~

"Thank you for the food!" said everybody as dinner was over.

"Bom-ah, you have something on your cheek." said Chorong as she placed her thumb over and removed a rice grain.

"Hehe, thanks unnie." grinned Bomi as she kissed her thumb, only to have a beat in return.

"Don't do that!" screamed Chorong in shock.

"Hehe, why can't I? Saranghae~" giggled Bomi as she always found it cute whenever her sister was surprised.

"By the way unnie, we were supposed to pass up that form weeks ago. But, both of us finally decided what we wanted to do." said Eunji.

"Go ahead." said Chorong.

"We've decided on being singers." said Bomi.

There was only silence. The twins looked at each other and wondered whether they made a wrong decision. The other three sisters however, were quite happy with their decision.

"You're gonna be a singer? Sing a song for me unnie!" said Hayoung excitedly.

"Later. I'll sing it you while you sleep." smiled Eunji.

"Kids." one word from Chorong and everyone turned silent, heads turned to her.

"Dreaming to become a singer will be difficult. What if the public doesn't recognize you, you will also have to be ready to face all harsh criticisms. Are you sure this is what you want to do?" said Chorong as she stared at the twins seriously.

"We won these through singing and dancing unnie. That's where we discovered our talents." said Bomi.

"We won't regret it." said Eunji.

With folded arms, Chorong could only sigh and then, smile lightly. "I'll support your decision."

~That night~

The girls had only one bedroom with a single mattress. The three youngest slept there while the other three used the floor as their beds. Eunji's harmonic vocals filled the air as she sang a lullaby for her sisters to sleep. At the bed, Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoung clinged to each other as it was cold. They were so close that they could smell each other's hair. Their arms wrapped around each other, the three fell deep into the dream world.

On the floor, Bomi hugged her sister Chorong like a pillow. Chorong didn't mind, in fact she felt more at ease as she wrapped her arm around Bomi. Everyone else had fallen asleep except for Chorong who continued to stare at the blank ceiling. She was reminded of the past, when she was still 16-years old.

~Flashback~

"Ok, one more time. One, two, three." said the instructor as he observed the girl's movement. Among them, was Chorong who was one of the diligent members. She was part of a dance club in high school and was the leader.

"Alright, you can take a break!" said the instructor as he left the room.

Chorong took a deep breath as she sat against the large mirror, gulping down chunks of water.

"Chorong-ah, aren't you going to audition? asked a friend.

"Which one?" 

"JYP. It's a huge entertainment company. I heard if you get in, you're guaranteed to be a hit star!"

"Let's go there tommorow!" smiled Chorong as she felt that she could do it.

She looked at the leaflet for JYP auditions and smiled. It was always her dream to become a star but she had to keep it a secret from her family, especially her parents. She even kept it a secret that she was part of a dance club.

However, she was never able to attend it. Because the audition day was the day her parents and sister died in a car accident. It was then, Chorong had decided to give up her dreams and raise her sisters.

~Back to the present day~

It was now morning, it looks like Chorong fell asleep thinking about her past. Luckily, it was weekend and Chorong had a day off. 

"Unnie, wake up. We're hungry." said Bomi as she lightly tapped Chorong's shoulder.

"Right, what shall we do for breakfast?" said Chorong as she sat up and noticed Eunji still fast asleep on her left side.

"I wanna eat ddukbokki!" said Hayoung with a smile as she entered the room brushing her teeth.

"Let's also get chicken feet, Chorong-unnie loves it." said Naeun as she began to change clothes.

"Alright. I'll get changed, Naeun will follow me out to the market."

~X~

After the girls left, Hayoung and Namjoo were busy playing with the radio. They haven't had one in ages and were delighted to hear music again. Bomi on the other hand, was busy washing the dishes while Eunji continued to sleep. 

"Wake up Eunji-ya, are you going to sleep until noon?" said Bomi as she lightly kicked her.

"Ok, five more minutes." yawned Eunji as she turned to the other side.

"Mm? Did Chorong-unnie forgot her bag?" said Bomi as she noticed a small, gray bag tucked away in a corner of the room. She went to open the bag, only to be in surprise.

"This is...." mumbled Bomi to herself.

"What is it?" said Eunji sluggishly as she woke up and headed towards Bomi only to have her eyes wide open.

It was a leaflet of a JYP audition two years ago.

~End of Chapter 4~

----------------------------------------------------

If you've noticed, one of the scenes were inspired by the Sassy Go Go drama :P So the secret of the oldest has finally been discovered..what will happen?