Chapter 1: That Night

We Are Family

Chapter 1: That Night

"I promise you, Dad, Mum that I will raise them well. Please watch over us, Yookyung too." said Chorong, the eldest of the six as she mumbled in her prayers at the funeral.

For a young 16-year old to carry the burden of a parent was far too much. No one would have thought that one night would change everything.

 

~Flashback~

It was past midnight, the household was fast asleep. Chorong, the eldest of the seven sisters woke up. She felt being a little dry and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. However, she noticed her sister, Yookyung sitting down on the sofa. She didn't look very well.

"Are you feeling okay, Yookyung-ah?" Chorong asked gently as she sat down beside her, staring at her face.

Yookyung didn't respond which Chorong immeditely put her palm onto her forehead only to be in shock.

"Dad! Mum! Yookyung is having a very high fever!" shouted Chorong as she bursted into her parents room.

Immediately, the two quickly took Yookyung into the car and left for the hospital. However, Chorong could not leave this uncomfortable feeling in her heart as she saw dark clouds outside the window.

"I heard some noise unnie, is there something wrong?" a voice from behind.

It was Eunji, the younger half of the twins. 

"Yookyung had a really high fever. Don't worry, Dad and Mum took her to the hospital so go back and get some sleep. You have school tommorow." said Chorong with a comforting smile as she rustled her hair.

"You also have school tommorow too, unnie." smiled Eunji.

"Shush, I'm a high school student. Sleep doesn't matter to me. Now, go to sleep."

"Okay, unnie~"

After making sure Eunji went back to bed, Chorong too fell asleep until she was waken by a ringing sound. It was her phone. But what was strange was that, it was a call from their grandmother, often called as Sunny ( because she didn't liked being called Soonkyu). She rarely called at times but picked up anyway.

"Hello?" said Chorong.

"Chorong. It's me, Sunny. Now, I am going to tell you something that will put you in great shock. I need you to calm down and do this carefully. Wake up the rest of your sisters, make sure they eat and then, take a cab to Seoul Hospital."

"Why? Did something happen?"

"I'm sorry Chorong-ah. Last night...." there was a silence.

"Both your parents and Yookyung died in a car accident."

That was the day where the life of the six sisters turned upside down.

~Back to the present day~

The six sisters took turns to see their parents and sister, Yookyung's face one last time as the funeral procession came to an end. 

"This is just such a sad sight, honey." sighed Sunny to her husband.

"The oldest is only 16, the twins are barely 14, Naeun is 13, Namjoo is 12 and Hayoung is just 11 years old ! It breaks my heart for these kids to be left by themselves at such a young age!" mumbled Sunny as she wiped her tears. She was especially fond of the oldest, Chorong and wanted to give her a big hug.

"What do we do now, unnie?" asked Bomi quietly as she and her other twin held hands tightly.

"Where are the other three?" asked Chorong as she wanted to put her family first.

"They're fast asleep in the car." answered Eunji as she stared at her older sister. She was more sharp than her other twin, knowing that Chorong would feel the most pain right now. She made sure that she wasn't crying.

"I decided to drop out of high school." said Chorong with a sigh.

"What?!" shouted the twins.

"I need to find a job so that we can afford to bring both you and the others to high school."

"You don't have to do that unnie!" said Bomi as she immediately hugged her sister.

"Just because you're the oldest doesn't mean you have the burden of everything! Let's think of something else alright?" said Eunji as the three embraced each other.

At that moment, their grandmother arrived.

"Girls, I have something to tell you." said Sunny as she moved closer to them with something in her hand.

"I want you to take this. As you three are the eldest, I believe in you. This is the best I can do as your grandmother." said Sunny as she handed them a cheque of 1 million won.

"Grandmother! We can't take this!" said Chorong as she quickly pushed her grandmother's hand away.

"No, keep it. An old lady like me would be a waste to this. After all, this is all that's left of your parent's hardwork. Cherish it well."

After a long thought, Chorong took the cheque.

This was simply the start of a new journey.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my first time writing & I admit I'm having difficulties with the editor >< I hope you have enjoyed this as I would have the next chapter up soon! Thank you for reading!