Park Jimin

An Encore
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11: Park Jimin

 

    “You can’t possibly think to push the mission through after what happened!”

    “Sir, with all due respect, he beat Jungkook and Seulgi—“

    “—We’re just going to die if we fight him now!”

    Complaints arose from both teams, the most vocal ones being Irene and Namjoon. Jimin supposed those two felt a separate kind of responsibility, particularly towards Seulgi who was still resting in the hospital. Weirdly enough, Jimin could understand what the two felt. 

    Onew had immediately called for the meeting after visiting Seulgi in the hospital earlier, and everyone except Seulgi and Jungkook were present. The atmosphere at that moment was tense, with each member on their toes with nervousness. Jimin himself was on edge; he paced around the room as the others argued.

    Seulgi-yah. Jimin frowned as he remembered what she went through just this morning. And to think that she was so excited to visit Central Town, he thought. Jimin would love it if whoever was controlling the universe could give Seulgi a break. Hasn’t she been through enough already?

    What must she be feeling right now, he worried. She probably felt deeply confused and hurt—Jimin didn’t think Taeyong had ever used his Alice on Seulgi before, at least not with ill intent. How could Taeyong even think of using his Alice like that on his former comrade? Not even just a comrade, but a close friend? Was he ever the person they thought he was, if he could turn his back on them all just like that?

    Jimin didn’t like the thought of hurting people, not at all, but he really wanted to do some damage on Taeyong’s face. He didn’t think it was fair either to be good-looking while being the bad guy; that is precisely why people always underestimate him at first. It was a good thing Jimin never fell for his lies or his appearance.

    “If it was up to me,” Onew emphasized, cutting everyone’s words. “The switch wouldn’t have happened in the first place.”

    “Why even switch in the first place, sir?” Irene asked as she uncharacteristically lost her cool in front of their Dangerous Ability professor. The others looked up at her; it was rare for their leader to talk back to Onew. 

    Chanyeol exchanged a glance with Jimin: Is she okay? He mouthed. Jimin just pursed his lips in response.

    He shook his head in frustration. “The high school principal seems to think we’ll yield better results if the stronger team handles Taeyong.”

    “And now? What about now?” Irene replied. She was frightening when she took a stand against something; it was a characteristic Jimin had always admired yet feared about her.

    “He still wants to push through, unfortunately. We can’t afford to lose time—“

    “—I’m sorry to interrupt you, sir,” Namjoon cut in. “But, with all due respect, we’re going to get ourselves killed or kidnapped if we continue on with the mission.”

    Jimin rubbed his arms which were starting to get riddled with goosebumps. The weather inside the academy has always been strange, with the weather having a soul of its own, but today was peculiarly erratic. Earlier, the sun was shining brightly and the temperature was well over twenty degrees, but now clouds riddled the sky, bringing along with it humidity and a depressing 10 degree-drop in temperature.

    “That’s what I keep telling him!” Onew slammed his hands on the table. “What’s the point of making you kids do the mission if none of you will survive in the end?” There was silence in the room. Again, all Jimin could think of was: What are we fighting for?

    Jimin entwined his hands, clasping them tightly. Onew was a good professor and an even better mission leader, but they all knew he was powerless against the whims of the high school principal.

    He’s never met the high school principal himself. Apparently, it’s an honour reserved for those with the most powerful Alices, like Jungkook or maybe Namjoon. Jimin remembered a time when he asked how the principal was like to Jungkook, to which he only responded with an ominous, “Hyung, I sincerely hope you never get the chance to meet him. He’s no joke.”

    How could someone have so much power, so much strength, that even his fearless dongsaeng would say such words? Jimin wanted to know and didn’t.

    “Are you saying,” Namjoon replied quietly. “That we’re still pushing through with the mission even with Seulgi clearly not being well enough to take on Taeyong?”

    Onew sighed. “I’ll see if I can have the mission delayed. That’s the best I can do for now.”

    “Might as well prepare the letters you’ll send to our families,” Irene coldly said as she dusted the nonexistent dirt off her uniform skirt. “I still have to make the preparations for the ball, so if you’ll excuse me.” Without waiting for his response, she left the room, leaving behind a shocked Onew.

    “Should we—should we go after her?” Mark asked. The maknae, who was beside Chanyeol, looked frightened.

    Chanyeol stood up. “I think it’s best if we have the meeting when the other members can make it, sir,” His deep voice echoed throughout the room. “I really think that would be best.” He said carefully.

    Namjoon nodded. “I agree, sir. I’d like to talk to my team first as well, I think we’ll need it.”

    Onew started to gather his things. “One week,” He suddenly said. A week? “I’m giving you guys a week to prepare for the mission. Hopefully that should be enough.” And with that, he left the room with an awful scowl on his face.

    Jimin clenched his fists once more. It was an annoying habit he got ever since he became part of the Dangerous Ability class—it seems there’s always something to be frustrated about that he can’t voice out upon, and he always resented that he couldn’t.

    “One week should be enough? Is he insane?” Chanyeol muttered.

    “This is bull,” Yoongi suddenly stood up. Jimin noticed his hyung was quiet the entire time when even the maknae, Mark, was voicing out his complaints. He was sure Yoongi was also worried; in their position, who wouldn’t be? “Yah, Jimin-ah, let’s go. The others are waiting for us.” He looked at Jimin expectantly.

    Jimin did as he told and started to gather his things. It was fine; the room started to feel too stuffy for his liking, anyway.

    It was nearing dinner time, and Jin had pestered them all to have a meal together because it had been several days since they’ve been complete. Jimin doubted they would all be there tonight, considering that Jungkook was with Seulgi, but it didn’t matter. He was craving for his non-Dangerous Ability friends; it reminded him of a simpler time in his life, a time when his life didn’t hang onto life or death in any gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter