summer at grandma's

what did we do?!

in a small town just outside of Seoul city a small car drove on a very narrow, rural road all the way to a small have with a yard that looked like it could go on for miles. The house had a small barbed wire fence around the perimeter as if it were a farm with little veggies and dry soil. The house was a one story and painted white with a green roof, and on the porch sat a rocking chair with a small woman with a hat made out of hay pulled over her face, and next to her lay a big hound dog, but he wasn't to scary, just old and cuddly, and was only used for show to scare off any thefts with a mean bark and a howl. and farther back from the house seemed to be a barn, but it was all run down and looked like it hadn't been used in years. The car finally pulled up from the long whining road it stopped and parked right in front of am ugly old ford truck that was painted the same colors as the house. The only difference was the houses wasn't chipped and screaming for a wash. as the newly arrived vehicle turned off it's horse a small foot hung over the border of car and land as the conscience of a child fought the authority of the adults, but it didn't take long for some long legs with black pumps the get the rest of the kid out along with his luggage, " Now Chan, this isn't because we hate you, it's because we love you, but you're getting into way too much trouble at home and i think spending some time with your grands will teach you a good lesson, so say hello to your home for the summer." the depressed boy looked at the reached place and gave a sick look to his mother. She, being a fighter, brushed it off and pulled on his arm up to the front step. Turning around to see if the boy's father was going to say his good byes before heading back to Seoul, so he could pack for a business trip to America. He sat at the wheel waiting for his wife to drop off the kid so he could head back. looking down as this phone he smiled excitedly, and than raised his head to see his wife nagging him with just facial excretions, but just than he got a call, so he held up his phone, and pointed at it to let his wife know it was important, but she didn't give in - no she gave him the one face no man wants to see, the " you're not getting anything if you don't listen to me" face, and recognizing that face he took the call, and got out as well. Standing out side of the car with the door still open he made his talk short and secretive, " Alright, you know i won't forget. yeah, just like that other time right? ok then, i'll be sure to take the next flight as siin as i get home." as he hung up the phone he started walking toward the rest of his family.

" Well, look who decided to grace us with his precents." his wife said sarcasticly. he jsut gave her a snuty smile then knocked on the wood to wake up the sleeping woman sitting in the rocking chair.

" WHAT! who's there." the old lady said. she looked around and saw her son and his family, and her fear became happiness, " Oh son, how have you been? it's been a ling time since i've seen you."

" Hey mom, i'm fine, and very thing is going great. where's dad?" he said looking inside the house .

"oh son, if you weren't so busy i wouldn't have to tell you this way, but your father died about a year ago from a farm accident. that's why this place ain't lookin' like it use to, and I'd do the work myself, but doctor says I'm too old, and got to keep out the sun, and avoid hard labor. cuz my back just ain't what it use to be." she said with a chuckle.

"well if you want to get this place up and running again my son is here for the summer."

" No no, it's too much work for one boy and besides this place hasn't looked the same and i don't think it ever will." she looked down with a bit of sadness than noticed the young boy standing in between the two adults, " Well hell, hey there youngin how are you? al' be i haven't seen you since you were just a speck wrapped up in a cotton swob, so tell me baby how old are you now?" she said leaning in the listen.

"i'm fine ma'ma, and im 12 years old now. it's nice to meet you." his gran laughed at how polite the younger version of her son was.

"well son, i think he is a spitting image of you. even acts just as well as you did too." she said histericlly. " so grandson, why are you staying here, and don't tell me no lies. trust me i've herd it all from yo daddy, and boy was he good at it."

" i got into truble at shcool on the last day."

"what did you do?"

" i throw a rock at another kid during class pitctures for the yearbook."

"damn, that is your kid son!" she said as she bersted with laughter and her son joined in, but not chan's mtoher. she was very disappointed in that behaveor.

" so mis chan sik, how is my son? is he loving you right?"

" oh, hardly - ever." she huffed

" well you're not the only one who got stick with a showed up pencil stub, well i think that's where he gets it from." she giggled

" mom!" he shouted embarrassed.

" well let me get your little love child settled in. I'll see you guys at the end of the summer." 

"ok, we'll see you at the end of the summer." with that they got back into their car and pulled off leaving Gran and Chan alone together.

" well, welcome home little chan."