Dream’s Edge (5)

Question the Stars

The room into with the three boys gazed was indescribable. Indeed, it was made from the very essence of indescribability.

Minhyun could perceive it. Deeply. He knew it was there, more than he had ever known anything before. He understood that it was an ordinary room filled with ordinary, familiar things. But none of his human senses registered the slightest input.

Trying to see the room didn’t show darkness, it showed what one would see if humans never had eyes to begin with. The sounds coming from it were normal, unthreatening room noises and yet listening to them was as if his brain had never comprehended sound before – did not even have the proper channels for it.

“It’s beautiful,” Junior’s voice came dully from the side, making its way into Minhyun’s awareness, sounding wrong – incomplete.

“What do you see?” the leader asked. “Or, what do you feel?”

His own voice was wrong, too, but Minhyun did the best he could to describe the indescribable. “I see… feel floor… or, I know floor. And I know walls. I know the furniture in it. There is a bed and a desk and there are pictures.”

“Yes,” Aron added, “I think ’knowing’ is the right word. I’ve never seen or heard or felt any wall that is so… so wall. And the window and the bookshelf and-”

Junior sighed heavily. “Plato thought that all object in the universe that share a quality are instantiations of a universal thing. Every chair is a particular instance of chairness, every dog an instance of dogness, everything red an instance of redness, everything of which there are two an instance of twoness. And ever so forth. I think this is what we’re looking at… or ‘knowing’ at? In here, the platonic universals are real. This isn’t just a room. It’s roomness.”

“What happens if we enter?” Aron asked.

The group’s leader swallowed. “I dare not say. I can’t see past it. Or ‘know’ past it. We’d really need better words for this sort of thing.”

Not much happened for a few seconds. Then the boys took each other’s hands and stepped into roomness together. Their feet made carpet-noisesness over the floorness. Junior let go of Minhyun’s hand and sat down on the bedsheetness draped over the mattressness. If Minhyun looked – or ‘knew’ – closely he could perceive the sheetness’s drapedness.

Aron fiddled the leafnesses of potted plantness. It was all horribly surreal.

Timidly turning to ‘know’ at his surrounding, Minhyun decided to pull open the curtainness. To his surprise it let in sunshineness. Not that it got any brighter. He still didn’t see a thing, beside the other two boys. Even the air had a quality of airness. Absurd, and yet.

“So…” Junior said, “How do we destroy it?”

“What?”

“Come on, Minhyun. How else are we supposed to advance? There are no doors here. We have to take it apart again. Finding this room… roomness, isn’t even progress. There’s nothing in here. Not really.”

They pondered in silence for a moment. Minhyun used the break to inform the outsiders of their predicament. It was hard to make them understand what was going on.

Ren sent back, “Can’t you guys just summon destructionness?”

“I don’t think it’s that simple?”

“Why not?”

“Um.”

They talked it over and agreed there was no harm in trying. Unless one counted damaging the room as harm, which it might be.

As a first attempt, Junior conjured a knife which instead turned out to be knifeness. They knew right away that this was the way to go.

Afraid to summon the universal essence of black holes, they made due with bazookaness, firing projectileness onto the roomness’s wallness, causing huge explosioness’s.

Minhyun was getting a headache from all the abstraction.

A shock swept through the boys. Something indefinite broke. The universals vanished and the world fell apart.

 

***

 

“Foolish boys.” The voice was not accusing him. Its tone was sad more than anything. “What have you done?”

Minhyun looked up. The others were next to him, but the rope was gone. It was dark except for the spot where he and his friends stood as well as one more spot further ahead where a high, white shining throne perched atop an equally pure white hill of what could have been ice or crystals.

There was a woman so bright and glorious, that it hurt to look at her. Through the blinding light it was impossible to tell what she wore, what her face looked like or even the shape of her body. But the ponytail, that was visible in her silhouette.

“Sujin?”

Minhyun took a small step forward.

The shining woman raised her hand commanding him to stop. “Your sister I am not. Perhaps Sujin is among my names for I have oh so many. Centuries of names. Not all forgotten but few ever uttered. You mustn’t be here. You mustn’t return here.”

“Who are you?” Minhyun yelled, too excited to contain himself.

“I am known, as stated, by many names.”

The dream-walker grew impatient. “What are you?”

The ancient woman’s voice hardened. “Luck. For you and your kind. I am deeply sorry for all my mistakes. Please understand, I’m doing all I can to mend it. I will reveal myself to your kind in time.”

“But my sister-“

“You will not find her here! You will find nothing here. Do not come back. Do not bother. You will find yourselves unable to enter anew.”

“But-“

“Farewell, Junior and Aron. Farewell, my dearest son.”

“Please-“

 

***

 

In the trance chamber deep inside the head quarter five boys woke up in their beds too suddenly, as if hit by a gust of cold water. They were greeted by a grinning Jason and a concernedly glaring doctor Feng.

Aron rubbed his eyes. “What was all that?”

“Whatever,” Baekho said, “I’m exhausted. G’night.” He rolled over, pulled the sheets up and went back to sleep.

Minhyun cried. He couldn’t stop himself.

His boyfriend walked over to him and embraced him lovingly. Then the American reached out and turned Junior’s entire bed into the stickiest cotton candy possible. “I said I’d get you back for that.”

Even the screaming leader’s sugar related predicament couldn’t lift Minhyun up. He was heartbroken. And so terribly confused.