Welcome

SM High

“You will not believe what just happened!”

There was a flurry of movement in Sehun’s peripheral and then the school library table shook briefly beneath him as a huge black bag, no doubt expensive, was tossed down, accompanied by some haughty huffs as Zitao sat himself in the seat across.

“You accidentally liked Amber’s photo on instagram from forty weeks ago,” Sehun answered, not looking up from his phone. He had his textbooks and notes spread out across the table, because he liked the illusion of productivity that they gave, but anyone around him could see he was blatantly not studying.

“No!” Zitao gasped with relish. “Who do you think I am?”

“You and Yuri are wearing the same shirt.” Here Sehun raised one eyebrow, gracing Zitao a questioning smirk. “Again.”

“We don’t speak of that,” he answered scathingly, and Sehun rolled his eyes, turning back to his phone. “Last guess!”

Sehun pursed his lips, and then suddenly brightened. “Jongin finally came out?”

“No!” Zitao countered with a satisfied smirk, and sat back into his chair. “Besides, that’s old news. He came out like four months ago, when he decided to start using a maroon man-purse.”

“Fine,” Sehun sighed exorbitantly, and finally set down his phone, much to Zitao’s indulgence. “Tell me.”

Zitao leaned forward, clearly excited to once have the upper hand. “Mr. Park asked me to go to the science room during art because we needed rulers. And I walked in on Yixing and Jongdae making out.”

“Oh.” Sehun picked up his phone again, disinterested.

“Sehun!” Zitao snapped in surprise. “Yixing! And Jongdae! Yixing is like…like…” He threw his hands up in the air helplessly, unable to come up with a word that encompassed Yixing’s adorable, flouncy innocence.

“He’s not a , if that’s what you were going to say,” Sehun said indifferently.

What?!

“Don’t act all surprised. If anything, it’s Jongdae I’d be more worried about. Apparently Yixing gets really weird in bed.” Sehun wiggled his eyebrows and Zitao let out a loud groan.

“I need a latte,” he muttered under his breath, and reached for his bag.

“The cafeteria doesn’t serve those,” Sehun reminded him unhelpfully.

“Who said I was going to the cafeteria?”

Sehun sat blankly for a moment, and then pushed back his chair with a grin. “Oo, Starbucks! I’m coming with.”

-

 

Kyungsoo walked into the calc room and then stopped, deciding that this had to be the wrong class. For one, the room was half empty, even though he was already five minutes late. And secondly, all the students who were in there were either sleeping, on their phones, or crowded around some boy who was…knitting? in the back corner. Not to mention the teacher was nowhere in site. Nope, there was no way this was AP calc. Not a chance.

He glanced down at his timetable to look at the room number (32A) and then his heel to check the sign on the door again, only to crash straight into a very muscled shoulder.

Kyungsoo let out a surprised squeak and stumbled back, his eyes watering suddenly and blurring his vision.

“Oh my goodness, are you alright? I’m so sorry!” came a gentle, distressed voice, and a hand reached out to steady him. Kyungsoo blinked his eyes clear, and watched in fascination as a gorgeous, sun-kissed, god-like face came into focus mere inches away from his own.

“I- um- I,” Kyungsoo stuttered in reply, and when he realized his voice was failing him, instead settled on smiling weakly. The beautiful face in front of him crinkled into a laugh, and Kyungsoo felt a part of him melt because he wasn’t sure how it was possible but oh god he was even more beautiful now.

“I’m Kim Jongin,” the god-like creature smiled, and held out a hand. Kyungsoo shook it, dazed. “Are you new here? I don’t think I’ve seen you in this class before.”

Kyungsoo nodded, finding he was still rendered mute and not trusting himself to speak again until his tongue un-numbed itself.

“Jongin!” came a demanding cry from the door, and another boy barrelled through, his shoes clacking decisively against the ground. “Did you know that Yixing and Jongdae were ing?”

His language was what brought Kyungsoo into focus again and he straightened up, taking in the sight that was Zitao, from his designer shoes to his designer jeans to his giant designer bag, the picture finished off lavishly with a red Starbucks coffee cup and a styled mass of silvery-blonde hair.

“Well I didn’t think it was an ongoing thing,” Jongin answered his question demurely, and then shrugged thoughtfully. “As far as I was aware, they just hooked up once. But if you say they’re ing, as in still together,” he paused, another thought lighting up his face, “or, I guess you could mean they’re doing it right now, which is kind of ridiculous but I wouldn’t put it past Yixing, then well, no, I didn’t know.”

Zitao gave him an open-mouthed shake of his head, looking decidedly offended, and then brushed past him contemptuously to take a seat at the window. “Why am I last to know this?” he asked dramatically, and slammed his bag onto the desk. He then seemed to take notice of Kyungsoo’s presence and squinted. “Who are you?”

“He’s new,” Jongin answered cheerfully, and then joined Zitao at the window desks, motioning Kyungsoo to follow. “I ran into him on the way in. By the way, I really am sorry about that…uh…” Jongin frowned, realizing he still didn’t know his name.

“Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo answered quickly, finding his voice again, and then gazed awkwardly downward as Zitao proceeded to scrutinize his face. Some minutes later the teacher entered the room, ten minutes late (it’s usually fifteen, we got unlucky today, Jongin had told him with a sigh) and thus Kyungsoo was once again drawn back into the whirlwind that was his first day at SM High. If he’d ever gotten around to seeing the number on the classroom door, he would have seen that it was in fact, room 32A. But after meeting Jongin, the importance of it had seemed to slip his mind.

 

-

 

“What are you doing?” Luhan asked in exasperation. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Jongdae were seated at their usual lunch table, but for some reason they also had all of the sauces, spices, and condiments that the school cafeteria had to offer with them. Luhan took once glance at the dozen bottles of ketchup and gave a maddened groan. “You know what, I don’t even want to know.”

“We’re organizing them,” Baekhyun answered proudly, and gave Luhan a reproachful glance. “Being helpful.”

Luhan opened his mouth to explain that hoarding all the mustard was in no way helpful to anyone, but then thought better of it and just sat down.

“I say we do it by size,” Chanyeol was arguing. “Look, it looks better that way. The soy sauce bottle are the smallest so they go over here, then the salt and pepper shakers, and then the hot sauce…”

“No, no, no,” Jongdae interrupted impatiently. “You need to organize them by type first. Look, all the sauces go together, then all the spices go together like this…”

“That’s ridiculous!” Chanyeol countered. You three are all ridiculous, Luhan wanted to say, but instead listened silently to Chanyeol’s reply. “They look so bad like that. The sizes look weird, you need to organize it by height.”

“Everything’s height with you, Chanyeol,” Minseok chimed in cheerfully as he walked up, tray full. He sat down and then shot Luhan a concerned glance. “What are they doing?”

“Don’t ask me,” Luhan sighed, instead focusing on the growing group of people by the condiments table who had finished ordering food and were completely mystified at the disappearance of the salt.

“Would you believe,” came Zitao’s indignant voice, and he sat down opposite Luhan and Minseok, Kris on his arm. Kris was nodding, making small agreeing noises as Zitao continued to rant on, clearly bored out of his mind.

“Hey guys,” Luhan smiled at the couple, interrupting Zitao’s in-depth analysis of the ‘girl whose hair reminds him of carpets’, and Kris shot him a thankful glance. “What’s up?”

Kris started, “Well, I was just going to ask-”

“I can’t believe you!” Baekhyun screeched from beside them, and the four of them glanced up to see him wrestling a bottle of ketchup from one of the sophomores. “Give it back! We are doing a duty to this lunchroom!” he hissed angrily, and wrenched the bottle from the student’s hands triumphantly, only to accidentally squeeze it and have an arc of red splatter itself across Jongdae’s white shirt.

“Are you kidding?” Jongdae cried out, and he reached for a bottle of mustard, aiming it deftly at Baekhyun’s new jeans.

“Why would you do that?!” Baekhyun gasped as a splat of yellow appeared on his kneecap. “Jongdae, you hoe! I hit you by accident!”

“Well I didn’t!” Jongdae replied viciously, and within seconds the table was in full-out condiment war, Chanyeol angrily defending his boyfriend by letting salt and pepper rain across the table. Luhan and Minseok, who were smart enough to clear out before the fight had even begun, ran to the corner as soy sauce splayed itself decoratively across their seats. Kris had quickly dragged Zitao away before anything off his expensive designer wardrobe became a condiment art piece, and the four of them settled in the corner to watch the war, Minseok staring forlornly at his tray full of food which he had been forced to abandon in the trenches.

Just as the hot sauce was being chucked into the air, Jongin and Sehun walked in with a short red-haired boy, conveniently at the entrance that the four had gathered around. “What…?” the red-haired boy began in awe, seemingly unable to finish his question as he drank in the site of the lunchroom, which was now drenched in various amounts of liquid, the ketchup looking nauseatingly like blood.

“Let me guess,” Sehun sighed dryly. “Junmyeon tried the ‘team bonding’ thing out again.”

“No, actually,” Minseok answered. He glanced around, momentarily puzzled. “Actually, where is Junmyeon?”

“And where’s Yixing?” Jongin followed that up.

“Probably ing Jongdae,” Zitao replied stonily, rather loud.

“Nah, he has band practice or something,” Sehun said lazily. He glanced back at their table, where the fighting had not yet died down. “I’m out.” With that he turned and walked out of the cafeteria, giving no explanation as to what he was doing or where he was going.

“What is this school?!” the red haired boy suddenly burst out and glared around at all of them, as if it were their fault. “What in the hell is happening?”

Luhan raised his eyebrow at the stranger’s face and then glanced up at Jongin, who was hovering protectively behind him.

“This is Kyungsoo,” Jongin told them apologetically. “He’s new.”

There was a pause in which Luhan, Minseok, and Kris all stared at him, unsure what to make of his small, angry presence.

“Welcome to SM High,” Kris drawled out after a minute or so, and then grabbed Zitao by the elbow. “Come on Taozi, let’s go get lunch. I’ll drive us downtown.”

 

A/N: Uhhh... so what was that? I don't even know? I don't know what I'm doing, so if you have some highschool situations/events/something or other that you'd like to see these guys written into, let me know lol. Ah, I regret this already.