Follow the white rabbit

Bangtan in Wonderland

Jimin didn’t hop the way you remembered him doing in dreams. In dreams he occasionally made cute little jumps. Now that he was in front of you he just flung himself over tables by crouching down slightly and just launching himself into the air. Those were some powerful legs. You tried your best not to stare at them. Jimin placed the teacup he’d inexplicably caught on Suga’s head and stepped towards you, looking over you more judgmentally than you’d ever seen him.

“Have you accepted your name yet?” Without breaking eye contact Jimins left hand reached into his right pocket and brought out a pocket watch. “Hurry up girl, it’s almost four.” He then added, stuffing the watch back into his pocket. You blinked, glanced at Suga who was ignoring you, then nodded at Jimin. He straightened himself up and tapped his foot on the floor.

“My name is Alice.” In the background you saw Suga twitch, but he almost immediately went back to ignoring both you and Jimin. Jimin smiled, visibly content with your admission, and took your hand, pulling you after him. He was walking a little too fast for your comfort. In fact he was walking so fast that you could feel your shins starting to complain after just a few steps.

“Jimin.. Please.. Can you slow down a little?” You asked as Jimin dragged you into the forest. Jimin didn’t turn back to acknowledge what you were saying but slowed his pace down just a tad. Since you couldn’t influence him to do anything else you just let your eyes wander from the flopping white rabbit ears on Jimin’s head to the surroundings that were practically flashing you by. The forest was quite dense but Jimin was seemingly heading up a hill.

As you got further up there were fewer trees and you could see the grass drying out underneath your feet. Then your eyes landed on a fluffy white thing poking from underneath Jimin’s coat. He had a tail. Sure, Jungkook had a tail as well, but it wasn’t this adorable. You tried your best to stop looking at it, but it almost bounced into your sight every time you tried to look away.

Suddenly Jimin stopped walking. This time you caught yourself in time and actually didn’t crash into anyone, although you did stagger for a few seconds before regaining your balance. Jimin turned around and you quickly raised your eyes. He smiled and crossed his arms.

“Oh you can look if you want. It’s cute isn’t it?” He winked at you and almost turned around again, showing off the fluffy tail. You nodded, watching the little thing shake slightly. “My tail is the best of all bunny tails. And everyone knows bunny tails are the best of all tails.” The tail wobbled a little and you quickly averted your eyes.

“Your tail is very cute indeed.” You said, “why did you stop walking? Where are we even going?” Jimin narrowed his eyes and turned around again, leaving his tail in full view. Apparently you weren’t impressed by it enough. It took you a few seconds to realize that Jimin was pointing at the top of the hill you were walking on.

“There’s no time, Alice. We must hurry! From the top of the hill we can take a cloud. They go much faster than we do.” He huffed, stamping his foot on the ground once more. You didn’t bother to nod as he couldn’t see it, and started walking towards the top of the hill. Traveling by cloud didn’t seem possible but in this world it probably made sense. Maybe this was all just a big dream after all. You pinched your arm, but found that you didn’t wake up.

Jimin rushed past you, grabbing your hand once more and started dragging you again. His grip was almost painful. For a rabbit he sure had muscular arms, you thought, and tried not to look at those either. A lot faster than you’d thought to be physically possible you found yourself at the top of the hill. It was a lot higher in the air than you had thought it to be. There were no trees on the hilltop, and there were actual clouds drifting underneath the edge that Jimin was heading towards.

“Do you see?” Jimin asked, stopping too close to the ledge for your comfort. He motioned somewhere in the distance. Mountains and meadows stretched themselves out in front of you. Sometimes there were trees, but the bright green of the grass was overwhelming. Further into the distance you could see the colours and stone structures of a city, that was topped by a castle. The castle was white but that was all you could discern from this distance. You felt a tug on your arm and almost screamed. Jimin was leaning over the edge.

“Jimin I don’t want to die!” You yelped out. He looked at you with faint surprise, then glanced down.

“Alice.. We did this very often. There’s no need for you to be scared. The clouds are very sturdy. You just have to think very hard about your happiest memories, so you can keep floating. Trust me.” He smiled, turning so his back was facing towards the ledge. You felt even less comfortable now that he’d said that, but Jimin had now grabbed both of your hand. You tried to squirm out of his grasp but Jimin let himself drop backwards off the cliff.

And you both fell. For a few moments you felt the wind rushing past your face. Then something cushioned your fall. It felt like a pillow, except you bounced upwards again. The clouds were indeed sturdy, but you didn’t trust them. As if it could somehow help you in case the clouds lost their density, you held on to Jimin’s hands as tightly as you could.

“Calm down Alice! We can travel faster now, you see?” Jimin grinned, “think of your fondest memories.” You tried to do what he told you, but concentrating wasn’t as easy when you were absolutely terrified of plummeting to your death. To his credit Jimin didn’t let go of your hands.

Slowly you managed to think about something other than the clouds. The images that came to you weren’t things you’d remembered when you were in your classroom less than a day ago, but you knew they were real memories. You remembered hanging out with a younger Namjoon, probably a lot longer ago. Namjoon was practicing some rapping abilities, and someone beside you was applauding him. Although you didn’t recognize who it was, you remembered the moment being one of the happiest in your life.

Suddenly something was shifting underneath you. The clouds were moving. Jimin beside you smiled and lied down on his stomach, glancing down at the ground that was moving underneath you. The mountains drifted underneath you so peacefully and so seemingly slow that it calmed you down. You lied down next to Jimin and brushed your fingers over the cloud. It had become moldable in your hand like clay.

“JHope’s manor is hard to reach when you’re not travelling like this, you know? It’s in a weird place. I think he did that on purpose.” Jimin chattered, rolling onto his back. You let out a squeak as he rolled towards an edge and grabbed his arm. “Why don’t you stop worrying for a moment? Right now we have time, all the time in the world..” He smiled, letting the arm you weren’t clutching dangle over the side of the cloud.

“Because where I come from clouds are made of gas. They don’t carry weight..” You muttered. Jimin shrugged, still smiling at you.

“Isn’t this better? Feed the cloud your memories Alice. It will carry us where ever you want to go.” After uttering those words Jimin pulled his hand out of your grasp and rolled off to the side, falling over the edge. You let out a scream. You could hear Jimin laughing beneath you, but you couldn’t see him through the white cloud. And you had a bigger problem. The cloud had been becoming softer under you touch, and you were sinking into it as if it was quicksand.

“Help!” You cried out. Jimin’s laughter stopped.

“You have to accept it, Alice. You can only live in this world if you let go of the rest.” You found yourself sinking deeper and deeper, rolling around to try and get out of the mess. Then you found yourself falling over the edge. You were expecting something more painful than falling into a pair of open arms. Even before you dared to open your eyes you knew it was Jimin.

“You have to live right now, Alice. Don’t think about anything else.” He smiled, glancing up at the white clouds drifting over you. This carelessness wasn’t something you remembered, but it wasn’t all that strange. Of course Jimin wasn’t just a haste driven bunny. He was a full-fledged person, and those are never just one characteristic.

“Were you always this reckless?” You asked, clinging onto the rabbit for dear life. Nothing here was the way you remembered it. How were you supposed to make your way through this world if you didn’t know where to go? You leaned your head back and noticed that you were slowly drifting towards one hill in particular. There was a manor house on it. Instinctively you knew it was JHope’s house.

“That’s it, you’re getting it now.” Jimin hummed softly beside you. You had no idea what he was talking about but were more than happy to see the ground you were approaching. The cloud lowered slowly and you could see something prancing in front of the manor house now. Something wearing a rather fancy coat. You turned over onto your side and sat up.

Jimin sat up as well. The rabbit seemed slightly more worried now that you were becoming more confident. The ground was only a couple of meters away. You could recognize the fancy coat and the person inside it as JHope. The duke smiled, his smile was so radiant it could be seen from a distance, and waved over at you. Without hesitating you let yourself slide off the cloud.

The ground was a little further away than you had estimated, but it didn’t hurt too much when you landed on it. In front of you was a loud screech and seconds later you were helped up by a very ecstatic JHope.