Final

Maybe In Our Next Lifetime

We've been stuck in this endless cycle for ages.
Reincarnating, forgetting, finding each other. When will we ever have our happily ever after?
Please, just this once. I'm begging for a happy ending.
One where we can finally be together.

Please.
Give us one more chance to be together.


"Hoshi, what's taking you so long?" Hoshi's younger sister was pestering him to hurry, they were already late to the party. "Put a lid on it, Hana!" He groaned, giving himself a final look-over in the mirror. "Okay, my hair looks good, and this tie colour matches my shoes.." Hoshi burst out his room door, rushing down the stairs. Hana clapped her hands together, glad they could finally leave. "Sometimes I wonder if you're the older one, or is it just me." Snorting, Hana yanked her coat off the coat rack, and slid on her heels. "There's only a year's difference, Hana."

"Besides, you've gone through more reincarnations compared to me."


Sliding into the driver's seat, Hoshi inserted the car key into it's keyhole, and started up the engine. "C'mon, Hoshi! We need to get there before some random girl starts flirting with him." Hana's manicured hand found its way into , and she nibbled on the red nail. "Stop biting your nails, those weren't cheap." Hoshi drove off, heading towards the party's location. "I don't care, I'm just so nervous.. It's been so many lifetimes since I've been able to talk to him properly.." Hana looked out the window, a sigh escaping .

"At least you've found him. I haven't seen her yet. I can't even believe we're both reincarnated with our memories instead of our partners." Hoshi kept his eyes on the road, letting Hana turn on the radio. A light melody filled the temporary silence in the car, before Hana spoke up again. "Do you remember? What happened in your first life." Nodding, the elder of the two let a bitter smile cross his face.

"Who'd forget her?"


"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" Gasping, Hoshi picked up the books that had scattered all over the floor. "No, it's okay. Are you hurt?" The girl reached her arms out to take the pile from him. "No, I'm totally-" Hoshi's eyes met with the girl's, and his jaw dropped. She's the one. "..Fine." Finishing his sentence, he smiled sheepishly. "Can I accompany you to your next class? These are kinda heavy, aren't they?"

The girl laughed, "I can take a hint when I see one. And yes, I'm sure we're on the same wavelength. Everyone else seems.. Different from us." Smiling, she took a couple of the books from the stack Hoshi was carrying. "I know who you are too, you're the guy who all the girls from my class keep talking about." She walked down the corridor, Hoshi by her side. She called him by the name he was given in his first birth on this planet.

"You're Kwon Soonyoung, aren't you?"


"Hoshi, Hoshi!" His head snapped up, his sister's voice pulling him back to reality. "That wasn't safe at all! We could've died!" Sighing deeply, she smacked his head. "Now's not the time to be thinking about her. Let's go." Blinking, Hoshi realised he had subconsciously driven to the party's location, the house of a popular jock from Hana's school. Hana had already exited the car, and was waiting impatiently for Hoshi, tapping her foot. The two finally made it to the door, and were greeted by a slightly packed house.

"You're not even late, Hana. Come on!" The jock had dragged the two in, and sat them down on a nearby couch. "Just go ahead and get some grub, or drinks. All on me. See you around!" Hoshi and Hana waved to him as he disappeared behind moving bodies. "Hey, you're Kwon Hana, right? Jinyoung's been looking for you all evening." Her eyes lit up, and she disappeared as well. Hoshi could barely blame her, if he was in her position, he'd be reacting the exact same way.

Jinyoung was Hana's soulmate in their first life. However, fate is cruel, and decided to separate them. The universe works in surprisingly sadistic ways. Hoshi remembered when he'd found out his soulmate didn't remember him.


"Soulmate? Yeah right." The girl in front of him raised her eyebrows, hands wrapped around another guy's wrist. "Sorry, but my girlfriend doesn't have the time to entertain you. I know about the recent cases where people try to trick others into believing that they're soulmates when they're not. For money, or whatever. Try that on someone else." The guy pulled her away, despite Hoshi's protests. "I love her, I really do! Please, hear me out!" Crumpling to the ground, Hoshi felt defeated.

"How could she not remember me?" He held in his tears, quickly standing up and leaving the corridor as swiftly as he could. Moving himself to another, more private location, Hoshi sat down, wiping at the tears threatening to finally escape from his eyes. "I can't believe she doesn't remember, how could this be?" Slamming his hand down on the empty space next to him, he sniffled.

Someone sat down next to him, the empty side that didn't have his hand on it. "This must be your first time being born into this world. Sorry to break it to you kid, but reality ." The man next to him snorted. "Mr. Lee, what are you doing here?" Hoshi's voice definitely contained elements of surprise. Mr. Lee was his homeroom teacher, a kind older man in his thirties.

"Every alternate reincarnation, only one of you will retain your memories. You're starting the cycle, so you remember her. The next time you two are reincarnated, her memories of you will return, but you'll forget her. Tragic, isn't it? Sounds like a messed up fanfiction or some crap like that. I'm in the same situation as you, kiddo. I remember everything, but she doesn't." Letting out a bitter chuckle, Mr. Lee patted Hoshi on the back. After looking at the time on his watch, he got up to leave. "I'll see you in class tomorrow, first period. I saw you talking to that girl, and I know she's a stubborn one. I hope you'll be able to convince her."

"Mr. Lee, who's your soulmate?"

Pausing in his steps, the older male turned around slightly. "It's Mrs. Jeon. I'd never met her until I got this job." Hoshi's eyes widened as the teacher made his exit.

"But.. Mrs. Jeon is married.."

A gasp of horror left his mouth, as he realised the truth.

She could marry someone else.

That wasn't him.


Lifting the plastic cup to his lips, Hoshi's eyes swept across the room. Having gone to a different school from Hana, he'd simply accompanied her should anything happen. He was totally uninterested in any other girl, he wanted to keep waiting for his special girl. The one he'd loved from the start. Taking out his phone, he waited patiently for his sister's return. Opening a game he downloaded recently, he started a new level. This was going to take a while.

Minutes later, Hana came back. Hoshi's eyes were glued to the screen, and he barely noticed Hana's snivelling voice. "Let's go, oppa. Please." Tugging on his sleeve, Hana was clearly in a mess. Keeping his phone, Hoshi made his quick exit, with Hana in tow. She climbed into the passenger seat in the front as soon as Hoshi unlocked the car door. Starting up the car's engine for the second time that night, the car sped off into the darkness.

"Hana, what happened back there?" Hoshi wasn't one to beat around the bush, at least not in this lifetime. Giving Hana some time to regain her composure, he kept silent. "Jinyoung.. Told me he has a girlfriend now. He doesn't believe me, and he told me to get lost." Sobs escaped Hana's mouth, and she opened a packet of tissue. "I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up, Hoshi. What do I do now?" Hoshi couldn't stop the bitter smile that was appearing on his face, one that mirrored Mr. Lee's from his second lifetime. "You already know the answer, Hana."

"You can't do anything."


Hana had run up to her room, crying. This wasn't the first time she'd experienced rejection from the man she loved, but who could blame her? It would always hurt her. Hoshi shook his head, deciding to prepare Hana's favourite hot chocolate for her to drink. Her sobs could be heard from downstairs, and luckily, her parents were away for the holiday. I wonder if mom and dad are soulmates.. Hoshi sighed for the thousandth time that day, stirring the cocoa powder in some hot milk.

Walking up to Hana's door, Hoshi knocked on it. "Hana, I made you some hot chocolate." Frowning, Hoshi noticed the lack of sobs from Hana's room. "Hana, Hana!" He wasted no time in opening her room door. Nearly dropping the mug, Hoshi was shocked. Hana's room window was open, and her phone was left on the bed. Had she run off somewhere again? Hana was impossible to find, especially when she ran away. Groaning, Hoshi set down the cup of hot chocolate, and closed the window.

She'd come back soon, right?

Hoshi sat on the couch, and waited for a few hours. However, his eyes couldn't fight the sleep that came upon him. Resting his head on a pillow, he drifted off into sleep.


Knocks on the door woke Hoshi up. "Coming!" He yelled, groaning. It's already morning..? Hana's not back yet.. He got off the couch, hands flying to his head to fix his hair. When he opened the door to his house, his eyes widened. "Are you.. Jinyoung?" The guy standing in front of him nodded, a smile appearing on his face. "I'm looking for Hana, have you seen her? She gave me her address a while back." Shaking his head, Hoshi sighed. "She's been missing since yesterday, and I'm quite aware of why." Crossing his arms over his chest, Hoshi glared at Jinyoung.

Jinyoung's smile dropped, and he held a hand up. "I know, and I'm sorry." He turned and waved to someone, gesturing for them to come closer. "I wanted to apolgize to Hana, but she's not here. I want her to get over me, and understand why I'm happy the way I am now." Tugging at an arm that was barely visible in Hoshi's range of sight, Jinyoung pulled a girl into his embrace. "I wanted to introduce Hana to my girlfriend." Hoshi's jaw dropped, and he covered his mouth with his hand.

"It's you.."


A while later, Hoshi found himself sitting on the couch, Jinyoung and his girlfriend sitting opposite him. He'd explained himself, hoping they'd understand. "I see, what a terrible coincidence it is." Jinyoung chuckled, pulling the girl seated next to him even closer. "Too bad, I'm not interested in Hana. I have no intention of letting go of my girlfriend, and even if I do, what are the chances she'd like someone like you?" Scoffing, Jinyoung stood up. "I came here with good intentions, but you're really pissing me off. Let's go, babe." The girl bit her lip, clearly embarrassed by her boyfriend's words. "Sorry about that." Standing up to leave with Jinyoung, the girl turned her back to Hoshi.

"I can't believe you're Hana's soulmate."

Jinyoung locked eyes with Hoshi, glaring right at him. "Hah, why so?" Hoshi let a mocking smirk cross his face. "Hana described her soulmate as a sweet, nice guy who'd listen to others' perspectives and try to work out a compromise." Smirk dropping, Hoshi sneered at Jinyoung. "You're the exact opposite. A two-faced jerk, who only thinks of himself. You've been pushing and pulling your girlfriend around a lot today, and I really don't appreciate you doing that to any girl, no less my soulmate. I've given her up so many times in previous lives just because she's happy."

"If you can't treat her right, then get out of her life."


The door creaked open late that night, Hana peeking through the small opening. She gasped, and rushed in. Not forgetting to close the door behind her, Hana grabbed Hoshi's chin. "What happened to you?" His face was marred by bruises and cuts. It was obvious he'd tried to fix up his own face, and failed miserably. "Who did this? I'm going to kill him." Hana's face contorted into one of anger, and she tugged at the edges of her coat. Hoshi grabbed her by her wrist, and pulled her down so she'd sit next to him.

"I did it for her, Hana. I love her." Tears slid down Hoshi's face, and Hana gasped. "You managed to find her?" Nodding, the elder of the two smiled bitterly. "Hana.."

"She's Jinyoung's girlfriend."


"You talk a lot, punk. I'll teach you to respect other people." Jinyoung rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, and threw a punch at Hoshi's face. Gasping, his girlfriend tried to hold him back. "You can't, Jinyoung!" Shoving her out the way, Jinyoung continued to punch Hoshi, who couldn't dodge. Hoshi didn't even try to resist. Jinyoung had already won.

He'd taken the one thing Hoshi wanted.

His soulmate.


Hana held her older brother in her arms, as the two cried together. They cried for themselves, for the loss of their soulmates. They cried for their soulmates, who seemed to have changed so much. They cried for each other, not wanting the other to be hurt anymore. When their tears had run dry, Hana let out a laugh. "Would it be better if I killed myself? I wouldn't have to hurt anymore, and it would be over.. I'd just have to wait to be reincarnated again." Hoshi patted her back, "It wouldn't do you any good, and it wouldn't do mom and dad any good either."

"I guess blood really is thicker than water, isn't it?"


Hoshi's soulmate had packed up and left town, along with Jinyoung. Hana and Hoshi were devastated, but realised it was for the better. The soulmates they'd known were totally different people now. The two were better off elsewhere, happy. The one thing Hoshi wanted for his soulmate was for her to be happy. Even if it wasn't with him.

Years passed, and finally, so did Hana and Hoshi. The two siblings had lived together, both refusing to date anyone. It wasn't right to them, and they found it similar to cheating. Besides, why would you want anyone else when you knew who your soulmate was?

It was reincarnation time again, and Hoshi felt the same way as he'd felt before. Happy to be able to see his soulmate in another life, but he didn't want to lose his memories. Knowing his soulmate would be able to see what had passed in the life that had just ended, he sighed. It'd be different this time, right?

He repeated the same words again, the ones he always said before his next reincarnation. He had always hoped for them to be true, but his prayers hadn't been answered. He knew he'd be the one forgetting this time, so he changed his words.

"No matter what life we're reincarnated into, 
I promise to try my best.
I'll promise.
Promise to try my best to remember you.  
Even if I can't."


Kwon Soonyoung was walking down the street, looking for a present for his younger sister, Shinyoung. The two of them had a bond like no other, both not being able to remember their soulmates. Having made a pact, Soonyoung and Shinyoung promised to wait for the day their soulmates would find them. After that, the two became much closer, and cherished each other more. Soonyoung really loved his sister, and was determined to buy her the best present she could get.

When he'd finished his shopping, he stopped in a cafe, remembering she loved hot chocolate. Having mentioned her friend was coming over to do a project later that day, Soonyoung decided to buy three cups of hot chocolate. Leaving the cafe with a brown paper bag in hand, and a spring in his step, he had a good feeling about the day ahead.

Even though he tripped and faceplanted three seconds later.


Soonyoung creeped into his room to put down the present he'd bought for his sister. Taking out his cup of hot chocolate, Soonyoung took the paper bag containing two more drinks to his sister's room. "Shinyoung, I bought you some hot chocolate-" Having just opened the door, Soonyoung blinked, greeted by the sight of two girls. "Hey, you got me hot chocolate! How did you know I loved it? I never told you.." Shinyoung took the bag from Soonyoung's hand, scrunching up her face. "Just a gut feeling, I suppose.."

"Oh, by the way, this is my friend. The one coming over for a project, y'know?" Motioning to the girl seated on the bed, who hadn't looked up. She was wearing her earpieces, eyes fixed on her laptop. "Hey. Hey. Hey!" Shinyoung yelled at her friend, who pulled out the earpieces. "What?" The girl asked, and Shinyoung tilted her head towards the brother. The girl's eyes widened, and she put her laptop down on Shinyoung's bed. Locking eyes with Hoshi, she stood up.

Brief scenes of books falling on the floor, her smiling and her leaving his house with another man flashed through Soonyoung's mind. Could it be.. She's the one?

"I'm so sorry." She rubbed at her eyes, before throwing herself at Soonyoung. The Kwon siblings were obviously shocked, but let her continue. "I'm sorry for the way I treated you last time, Soonyoung. I'm sorry I left you behind, and hurt you again." Her arms were wrapped around Soonyoung's waist tightly, as if she was never going to let go. "I promise to treat you better this time, so don't run away from me."

"I love you, soulmate."


Thank you.
Thank you for answering my prayers.