The Best of Friends

Of Ryeowook and Kyuhyun

Kyuhyun could not stop the overwhelming fear and anxiousness inside his heart as they made their way to the hospital. There were about a million things going through his mind as he prepared himself for the worst possible scenario. The manager had only informed them of Ryeowook's accident but he didn't really relay on the details. They were told that they have to get to the hospital first to truly know how Ryeowook was doing and so Kyuhyun tried to stay strong, only failing miserably as he held on to his dying heart at any possible scenarios that might occur. Wait. Can he? Can he ever be prepared for the worst possible scenario? Just thinking about him made him sick to his stomach and his heart felt like it was struck by lightning countlessly. He can never be prepared when it comes to Ryeowook. The latter mean so much to him that he couldn't imagine anything bad happen to him. This was proven true enough because when he first heard the news he almost fainted but was quickly saved by Leeteuk who held onto him firmly.

 

'Ryeowook. Ryewook. Ryeowook.' Kyuhyun had lost his mind and kept mumbling Ryeowook's name. He found it hard to breathe as he thought of the man who had been his best friend for years. For the first time ever, he had realized how important Ryeowook was in his life and the thought of losing him was extremely terrifying.

'Oh God. Oh God. Ryeowook. Ryeowook.'

 

'Kyuhyun, calm down.' Leeteuk rubbed Kyuhyun's back gently. He looked at the younger man beside with worried eyes.

'Ryeowook will be fine.' Leeteuk then told him but if he was really honest, he was actually telling himself that Ryeowook would be fine. This might be the first experience for Kyuhyun to hear about a member's accident and not knowing if he'll survive or live but it was his third time. So it was actually harder for Leeteuk but he had to be strong for the younger and the other members. He was going to be the one that would comfort them when they're distress. 

'Please calm down.'

 

'But hyung! WE-WE HAVEN'T EVEN MADE UP YET!' Kyuhyun turned and pulled the edge of Leeteuk's shirt desperately. There were tears streaming down his face and he was trembling.

'WE HAVEN'T!'

 

Leeteuk's eyes softened as he looked at the vulnarable man beside him. He leaned forward and hugged him.

 

'It's okay. You can just made up later.' Leeteuk tried to assure Kyuhyun even though he himself wasn't sure of anything. He was in fact scared of not knowing anything. Not knowing can be scary and terrifying.

'Ryeowook would be fine.' Kyuhyun immediately sobbed, unable to contain himself any longer as held onto Leeteuk as if the older man was the only comfort than can ever save him from this nightmare.

 

'OH GOD. HYUNG. WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW???' Leeteuk held his tears back as he continued to calm Kyuhyun down.

'It's okay. It's okay.'

 

'I can't believe this is happening again.' Sungmin said quietly from the back seat. Leeteuk turned to looked at him and he could see that Sungmin was just as distorted as the rest of them. He felt his eyes getting wet.

'I just can't. Please tell me that this is a dream.' Sungmin's words welcomed silence through out the van as they prayed for a miracle with all their heart.

 

--------------------------------------

 

The ride had seemed forever to Kyuhyun and when they finally reached the hospital he got out the van so fast that the manager hyung yelled at him because the van hasn't fully stop when it happened. Kyuhyun ignored their calls and he raced down the hospital towards the reception counter.

 

'Excuse me, is there a patient named Kim Ryeowook here? Is he alright?? He's hurt isn't he??? It is bad??! Where is he??! I mean what room is he in?? Is he even in a room??? Is he even here??! Is this the right hospital??? OH GOD. Where is he for God's sake??!'

 

Kyuhyun bombarded so many questions at the same time that nurses in front of him where having trouble understanding his wishes.

 

'What was that again??' One of the nurse asked Kyuhyun with a disbelief look on her face. 

 

'Kim Ryeowook!' Kyuhyun almost yelled out loud exasperately. He didn't have time for this! He needed to know where Ryeowook was. That was the only thing on his mind right now.

'The patient named Kim Ryeowook. Where is he??!'

 

'Ah.' The nurse finally understood and nodded. 'Please wait for a moment.' She added as she clicked a few keys of the computer on the right side of the counter.

'He's on the fifth floor to the right. The number of his room is 22-'

 

Kyuhyun didn't even thank the nurses and sprang towards the elevator. Once there he quickly pressed on the button incrediously cursing to himself as he felt that the elevator was moving far too slow for his likings. 

 

'Damn it!'

 

----------------------

 

Ryeowook was important to him. Other people might have not known this nor had he ever spoken too much on the matter but Ryeowook was truly important in his life. They didn't get along right away when he first joined Super Junior but despite that, Ryeowook was never mean to him like the other members had been. Ryeowook might have dislike him during their first encounter but he had always kept his feelings hidden and gave Kyuhyun a chance to prove himself. He was also the first person Kyuhyun ever confide in to and he was never one that easily confide in other but yet he found comfort with Ryeowook. It was calming and a sort of a stress releaser for him to be tell Ryeowook the things that bothered him or hurt him. Ryeowook was his listener and his adviser and Kyuhyun had always been thankful to have him as a friend. Every time he was sick, no matter how many times he was sick, Ryeowook would always be the one that would take care of him and made sure he had a decent meal. He would always leave whatever he cooked for him wrap up safely so that the other members can't gobble down everything and leave him hungry. In return, Kyuhyun would protect Ryeowook from everyone and everything. He wouldn't even let the other members have their way around Ryeowook and made sure that Ryeowook was never harm or hurt. And that was how their friendship works. They need each other and at the same time they are always there for one another.

There were of course, times where they would get on each other's case and screamed at the top of their lungs but those usually don't last that long. They would always find ways to make up and forgive each other. The only time that one of their fights got too bad was before his accident. Kyuhyun remembered how that fight had took a toll on Ryeowook. Ryeowook was miserable the entire time he was in a coma and once he had fallen out of that state. the latter had apologised none stop to him and crying his heart out. Kyuhyun immediately felt shivers ran down his spine as he thought of how similar this situation was to then only vice versa. Was this God's way of punishing him for being a bad friend?

He should have known better. Ryeowook was never one to start a fight for absolutely no reason. The fights between them usually starts due to some misunderstanding between them or when they are emotionally strained and just said things they never really meant. Kyuhyun felt his heart pound as he realized this. Ryeowook never meant what he said at the bar. Something or someone must have tiggered the smaller man to behave that way and he was just so emotional and angry at that time because Ryeowook had ruined the fun they were having to even try and take confide in his surroundings and see how distorted Ryeowook really was. He suddenly remembered that the latter was shaking and there were horror flung inside his eyes. He didn't even give room for Ryeowook to explain and try harder the next time around. Kyuhyun hated himself even more for only realizing this now and he felt even more terrified. 

 

What if he can never make it up to Ryeowook?

 

Kyuhyun was trembling even more at this thought than before as he ran around the hallway of the fifth floor to search for Ryeowook's room. After running here and there like a complete maniac he finally found Ryeowook's room. Kyuhyun found himself unable to enter the room as fear took over his body. He wasn't sure what sort of sight he would be taken into but he brave himself anyways and entered the room. For a while, Kyuhyun just wandered his eyes around but then the sight he was welcomed with shocked him so much that he fell onto the floor, a sobbingg mess. If his heart felt like it was strike with lightning before, well now he felt as if it was being shredded into pieces. It was just too horrible to be true. In front of him, on top of the hospital bed, laid a body that was covered with a blanket until the head part, unmoving. Kyuhyun started to yell at the top of his lungs.

 

'NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' He punched the floor so hard many times that his hands bleed but he didn't stop.

'DAMMIT KIM RYEOWOOK NO! YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME YOU CAN'T!!!! YOU CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!!!' Kyuhyun pulled his hair as he started to have a panic attack.

'No this isn't real...this can-can't be happy NO NO THIS IS A LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' 

 

'Um..who are you and what are you doing here?' Kyuhyun turned around with tears smeared all over his face and looked at the voice that said those words. He stopped sobbing in an instant as he saw two unfamiliar figures staring at him with wide eyes.

 

'Who are you??' Kyuhyun questioned angrily, bitting his lip. 'Get out.'

 

'Excuse me?' The young woman that Kyuhyun was sure was the was who had asked him the previous question said.

'You're the one that needs to get out. Who are you even??'

 

'I'm his friend.' Kyuhyun suddenly felt the need to defend himself and stood up. Who the heck are these people coming in this room when this is Ryeowook's room. His Ryeowook.

'AND WHO ARE YOU TWO?'

 

'We're his daughters.' Kyuhyun almost fell down as he heard this.

 

'What are you -' He was about to yell when he heard a familiar voice coming from behind the two women standing in front of him.

 

'Kyuhyun! We've been looking for you!' Leeteuk said as he walked into the room. 'What are you doing here?' Kyuhyun was so confused that he was speechless.

 

'Um. To see Ryeowook?' He finally said as he pointed to the body behind him on the bed. His heart clenched and he started sobbing again when he remembered Ryeowook's unmoving body.

 

'HUH??' Leeteuk widened his eyes and stared at the younger man.

'What are you talking about this isn't Ryeowook's room.'

 

Kyuhyun stared at Leeteuk exasperately.

 

'It's-it's not?'

 

'No you've got the wrong room. Ryeowook's room is 226 which is further into the hallway.' Leeteuk answered as he pulled Kyuhyun's hand. His other hand wiping the tears on Kyuhyun's face.

'Come on lets get going. We're so sorry about this misunderstanding.' Leeteuk bowed to the two women who just stared at them bewilderedly.

'And I'm sorry for your lost.' He added and quickly pulled Kyuhyun out of the room.

 

'Hyung.' Kyuhyun looked at Leeteuk once they left the room. His eyes were hopeful and fearful at the same time.

'That was not Ryeowook?' He asked with so much hope inside his heart.

 

'Nope.' Leeteuk smiled. 'You've got the wrong room. Like I said before Ryeowook's room is 226.'

 

Kyuhyun wanted to smile with relief but he was soon take over by fear because he still didn't know how Ryeowook was doing so he immediately turned around and ran towards Ryeowook's real room. Leeteuk was startled by Kyuhyun's sudden gesture but he said nothing and quickly ran after the younger man.

 

---------------------------------

 

'You gave us a fright!' Sungmin cried as he hit Ryeowook's shoulder.

 

'Ouch! Hyung! I'm still injured!' Ryeowook gasped in pain, rubbing his shoulder. As soon as they entered his room, the members had been giving nothing but nags and lectures but the older man was the only one that decided that he needed the hit.

 

'Well you deserved it!' Sungmin was not sympathetic by the least. 'We almost got a heart attack!'

'What were you thinking!!'

 

'You're lucky you only broke your leg with minor injuries.' Donghae said as he ruffled Ryeowook's hair gently.

'Honestly Ryeowook please be more careful the next time around. What if you got really hurt?'

 

'I know. I'm sorry.' Ryeowook apologised from the bottom of his heart. He truly did feel bad for worrying s. It must have been quite a shock to them. Ryeowook soon found his eyes wandering around looking for something or someone.

 

'If you're looking for that brat. He's here.' Heechul who was sitting with a cross legs on the sofa informed him.

'He just got lost that idiot. Teukie is looking for him now.' Ryeowook smiled in appreciation and nodded his head.

 

As soon as he did that, a maniac looking Kyuhyun came storming through the door. He was breathing heavily, as if he had ran all the way here and his body was shaking. Ryeowook stared at his best friend weirdly. Kyuhyun inhaled a whole lot of air and releasing them a few times to calm himself down. He then quickly looked up at Ryeowook and as soon as he did, he felt so much relief that he fell onto the floor to his knees his eyes never leaving Ryeowook.

 

'Kyu...' Ryeowook was shocked and tried to get up to get to Kyuhyun.

 

'I...' Kyuhyun tried to utter. '..I...I thought you were de-dead...'

'..I thought you were dead..I really thought..I really thought...dead...' Kyuhyun found himself trembling once again as tears felt down his cheeks.

'OH GOD!'

 

'Kyu...' Ryeowook's heart fluttered at the sight as he tried to walk to Kyuhyun with the help of his walking stick. He grabbed Kyuhyun's shoulder and pulled him into a warm hug.

'I'm okay. I'm alright. It's okay.' Ryeowook rubbed Kyuhyun back gently as Kyuhyun's cry turned into a heavy.

 

'We didn't even made up!' Kyuhyun spilled all the things that was killing his mind to Ryeowook as he burried his face inside the latter's chest.

'I-I thought..I..I was so..so scared!'

 

'I'm sorry.' Ryeowook hugged Kyuhyun even tighter.

'Um, I'm sorry but do you think you could give us some time alone?' Ryeowook asked the other members that hadn't said a single word since Kyuhyun walked it and merely became witnesses for Kyuhyun's sudden meltdown.

'I think that Kyu and I have a lot of talking to do.'

 

'We understand.' Leeteuk replied knowingly and gestured for the other members to leave the room.

 

'Thank you hyung.' Ryeowook bowed his head and said.

 

----------------

 

'Kyu, come on lets get off the floor and sit on the bed.' Ryeowook said once Kyuhyun's sobs had died down. Kyuhyun nodded and helped Ryeowook walked to his bed.

'You okay now?' Ryeowook asked the other once they've sat on the bed side by side.

'Do you need water?'

 

'I'm fine, thanks.' Kyuhyun shook his head as he wiped off his tears.

'Are you really fine?' He then looked at Ryeowook and asked worriedly.

 

'I promise that I am.' Ryeowook assured him. 'I just broke one of my leg and have a few scratches on my face and arms but that's just about it.'

 

'I was seriously scared. No. I was terrifed.' Kyuhyun looked down and played with the edge of his shirt.

'I didn't want to lose you. We haven't even made up. It reminded me of the thing of the past. I would never be able to forgive myself.'

 

'I'm sorry that I've terrified you.' Ryeowook uttered as he played with Kyuhyun's hair.

'And I'm sorry that we fought.'

 

'I'm sorry too.' Kyuhyun honestly said.

'I was a jerk to you. I didn't even give you the chance to explain yourself.'

 

'You didn't even know why we were fighting in the first place I was the one that triggered the fight.' Ryeowook explained.

'You can't help to being a jerk if you were suddenly treated that way. I'm sorry.' Ryeowook stopped playing with Kyuhyun's hair and looked down.

'To be honest, I was scared as well.' He admitted.

'When I was laying down on the road losing my consciousness I thought about you and our fight. I regretted having a fight with you and the thought of not making up  and probably never will scared me so much. Is this how you felt before when you had that accident?' 

 

'Yes.' Kyuhyun nodded. 'I was scared of losing you too and never giving you the chance to explain yourself. I was scared that I'd never get the chance to ask for your forgiveness for not trying to understand you better. But I was mostly scared that I'd never be able to forgive myself. Is that how you felt before too?' Ryeowook nodded and smiled.

 

'I'm really sorry for fighting with you Kyu.' Ryeowook apologised. 'It wasn't even your fault. I was just shocked tha-'

 

'It's okay forget about it.' Kyuhyun said. 'It doesn't matter what the reason was I know it was because of that something that bothered you and hurt you emotionally made you freaked out that way. You don't have to force yourself to explain. When you're ready tell me I promise I'll listen better than last time.'

 

Ryeowook smiled. 'I can tell you now. It's not a big deal to me now anyways. Things happened.'

 

'I don't want to spoil the positive energy between us plus it's not important anymore. That fight. The reason. What's important is that you are here with me, alive.' Kyuhyun held Ryeowook's hands tightly. Ryeowook nodded in agreement.

 

'Ryeowook.' Kyuhyun called out to him. Ryeowook looked up questioningly.

 

'I'm really sorry for fighting with you too.'

 

Ryeowook smiled widely at this and patted Kyuhyun's head. 'You know I would always forgive you.' 

 

'This is so deja vu isn't it?' He then said after a while, laughing a little.

 

'Nope.' Kyuhyun disagreed. 'It's ALMOST like deja vu and I'm glad that it is that way instead of the other.' 

 

'Ah you're right about that.' Ryeowook agreed and soon found himself grinning widely.

 

'What's so funny?' Kyuhyun eyed the other questioningly.

 

'Nothing it's just that, I'm glad too that it's almost like deja vu too.' Ryeowook uttered and Kyuhyun smiled at this.

 

'Lets try not to fight each other and kill one another next time around kay?'

 

 

'Deal.'

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is it, the final chapter. Hope you're enjoyed it and thanks for reading!

Do drop some comments it'll make me so happy ;)

 

Btw Happy KyuDay! I will post a special fic about Kyuhyun soon to celebrate his birthday so be sure to check it out later kay.

Ouh and don't forget to check out my other fics as well <3

 

Lots of love,

Haruhi