The Friend

I Thought of You

 

“Of course, it was a simple friendship between a girl and a boy.” 
 
It was mid afternoon, the sun was busily sweeping the thin line of dust down from above. Lunch break was almost over. It was no wonder why the students were so noisily chattering, filling the hallways with their loud footsteps. Young boys cursing at each other and chasing one another down the long boarded walk resonated throughout the building. 
 
Victoria Song, 13, sitting at her desk finishing the last of her lunch turned to look out the door which was adjacent from her desk. A group of young girls were gathering beside the window across the hall whispering, crooning, and giggling over something. Was it a boy they admired? There were too many boys the girls admired in the school. 
 
Slipping her lunch box into her bag she slid out from behind her desk and slowly crept up behind the girls wondering what was so interesting. As she neared the window the sound of thick drums, bass, drowned within many other instruments floated up from the yard of the school. The voice of an American singer caught her ears before she reached the girls. 
 
Peeking out from behind their shoulders Victoria only spotted an old fashioned stereo sitting on the picnic table blasting away. She hated being short for one thing, why hadn’t her puberty done its job yet? 
 
“Oooh!! He’s so handsome!” 
 
“I’m going to write him a love letter during class!” 
 
Getting on her tip toes she tilted her head up. In the yard a scrawny boy with black hair dancing away like there was nothing in the world that could stop him. She felt envious of his courage to start doing something like that with the whole school watching. Even standing in front of her classmates to speak already made her nerves chitty-chattery. 
 
His moves were so smooth like waves flowing across the ocean naturally. The crowd of young boys and girls surrounding him outside suddenly thickened very quickly and Victoria saw a smirk climb onto his face. He was enjoying it. 
 
The girls shrieked when he waved an arm up at them and she felt their eyes lock for a split second before she turned around to walk away. 
 
“He looked at me! Did you see that?” 
 
Victoria watched the young girls come in with wide grins covering their faces. Sitting down she took out her notebook ready for the next class session. 
 
“Eh, Victoria, lets go pick up my boyfriend from the basketball court,” Seohyun caught her in the hallway after school. 
 
“Boyfriend? Which one?” asked Victoria playfully. 
 
“Come on!” Seohyun linked her arms with her and led her out of the school building. “He says that he’ll treat me to ice cream, do you want to come along?” 
 
“He asked you, not me,” she told grinning at her friend’s shyness, yet excitement. 
 
They crossed the yard pass the baseball field before coming across the open basketball court. Inside were what seemed like a pack of boys running back and forth tossing the ball back and forth. 
 
“Here!” 
 
“Over here, Shindong!” 
 
“Ryeowook, move!” 
 
“I’m open!” 
 
Victoria paused in step with Seohyun and ran her eyes over the boys before nudging her. 
 
“So, which one is he?” 
 
A tall boy with curly hair paused, turned around, and waved at Seohyun. 
 
Victoria laughed under her breath, “It’s him, huh?” 
 
Seohyun immediately turned shy and tightened her arm around hers. Oh, what a girl her friend was. 
 
“Yes!!!” the cries of the boys made Victoria turn her attention back to them. 
 
One of the boys, Siwon, had just dunked the basketball in. The boys were now clapping their hands, high-fiving each other, and patting the other’s backs. 
 
“Seohyun!” Cho Kyuhyun ran out from the door. 
 
He paused before them and smiled at Victoria. 
 
“I’m Kyuhyun.” he introduced. 
 
“Victoria.” 
 
“Hey, I’m leaving!” Kyuhyun turned back to the boys and waved. 
 
“Wait!” 
 
Victoria turned around to see a familiar someone run toward them. 
 
“You said you’d get me ice cream, liar!” the boy slapped Kyuhyun’s arm with the back of his hand. 
 
“My pet’s going to join us,” Kyuhyun turned to Seohyun. 
 
Seohyun smiled her unbelievably beautiful smile, “I told Victoria to join us as well.” 
 
Victoria only realized that Seohyun was still clutching onto her arm. 
 
She glanced at Seohyun, “Is something fishy going on? You’re setting me up, aren’t you?” 
 
Seohyun shook her head, “I didn’t know Kyuhyun’s friend was joining us. Honestly.” 
 
“I’m Eunhyuk,” the scrawny boy introduced himself, “I saw you earlier.” 
 
Victoria turned back to look at him and surely he was the dancer she’d seen earlier in the day. 
 
“Lets just ditch the two,” Eunhyuk whispered to her after they’d gone walking around the mall for the 20th time. 
 
Victoria glanced at Kyuhyun and Seohyun who were trailing far ahead of them and nodded. The two turned down the corner passing a hat shop. 
 
“Wait, lets go back!” Eunhyuk suddenly back tracked and led them back to the hat shop. 
 
Victoria followed him back and glanced into the hat shop where each various hat sat inside its cubicle along the wall. She didn’t know anything about hats nor was she a fan of wearing them. She suddenly felt something on top of her head and turned to look at Eunhyuk who was smiling. 
 
“This looks nice!” he commented. 
 
Victoria tilted her head up to look at the hat and laughed at his small play. Loud screaming and shouts made the two of them turn around. Quickly taking off the hat the two hurried outside and glanced down to the 3rd floor where a platform was suddenly coming to life. Within seconds music started pounding through the air. 
 
“Oh! BoA!” Eunhyuk shouted before running down the hall. 
 
Hurrying after him they found themselves stuck inside the crowd that was now loudly cheering. 
 
“Can you see?” Eunhyuk questioned. 
 
“I can’t see anything,” Victoria replied. 
 
“Aish…”
 
“If only we were taller,” Victoria muttered before turning to see Eunhyuk staring at her. 
 
The two burst out laughing.  
 
“Will you get in trouble staying out late?” he questioned. 
 
Victoria shrugged, “It should be alright as long as I get my homework done before bed. You?” 
 
“Me too,” he grinned. 
 
Without realizing it the two had made it to the front of her house. 
 
The next day during lunch period, Victoria didn’t hear any booming music coming from the open window across the hall. Slowly picking up the omelet her mother had neatly cut up for her a storm of screaming girls suddenly deafened her. Confusion infiltrated her when the screaming paused outside the open doorway and the others in the classroom silenced. 
 
When she looked up she saw Eunhyuk waving at her from the doorway with his gummy smile. Walking in he dragged a chair from a random desk and sat on the other side of her desk. Setting down his lunch box he turned to her. 
 
“Lets have lunch together,” he suggested. “I didn’t see you outside with the other girls.” 
 
“Ah…well…” Victoria began. 
 
He just smiled insanely. 
 
After class she was bombarded with love notes from the girls who begged her to pass them along to Eunhyuk. 
 
She didn’t spot Seohyun anywhere after classes finished. Victoria had planned on having Seohyun pass the love notes on to Kyuhyun who would deliver them to Eunhyuk. It was kind of embarrassing handing them over to Eunhyuk when they couldn’t be considered friends yet. 
 
Passing the baseball field she paused by the basketball court to see the boys playing. They were loud, but they were having fun. She stood and watched somehow amusing herself as well. And just like how Kyuhyun had turned to wave at Seohyun yesterday, Eunhyuk paused and waved at her. Victoria timidly waved back wondering if her ponytail was out of order and if she looked nice in the ugly school uniform they were forced to wear. 
 
“Do you want some water?” Eunhyuk questioned as they started down the sidewalk moments later. 
 
She glanced at the water bottle he had in hand and hoped that he wasn’t planning on handing it over to her. 
 
As if noticing, he lightly laughed before ping his backpack and handing her a new one. 
 
“Thanks,” Victoria thanked taking from him and just held onto it quietly. 
 
“So…” he began, “why did you come by? Do you want to go get some ice cream?” 
 
Victoria paused and ped her backpack. 
 
“I have a math test tomorrow,” she answered without looking at him, “here.” 
 
Eunhyuk glanced at the folded notes in various colors. 
 
~.~.~.~.~
 
Sitting at his desk in his small bedroom he stared at the notes he’d placed on his desk. After a long hour he finally picked one up and read it. 
 
“I like you. You’re so handsome. Oppa, lets go out!” 
 
Throwing it back onto his desk he turned to stare out the window. It’d been a while since he’d heard of that Chinese student. He’d been seeing her walk around alone, read alone, eat alone, and be bullied by the other girls. The boys in his class secretly talked about her. And it wasn’t as if he liked her, he just felt she was special so he wanted to get her attention first. 
 
The next morning Eunhyuk waited by the front door of the school and handed each girl he’d received a love note from a letter of rejection. That day after school the girls’ oppas gained up on him. 
 
“Hi,” he bloodily greeted Victoria from her front doorstep. 
 
Her enlarged eyes were shocked when she saw him. 
 
“Who is it?” her mother shouted from the kitchen. 
 
Victoria slammed the door in his face and he stood there blankly wondering if he’d over done it by scaring her. After a second the door opened again and Victoria led him to a nearby park where she handed him tissues to wipe his bloody nose. 
 
~.~.~.~.~
 
“You told Eunhyuk to reject us, didn’t you?” they accused the next morning. 
 
Victoria stared at the girls that had suddenly circled around her desk. Quietly ignoring them she turned back to her book only to find it being tossed across the room a second later. Repressing herself, she got up and picked up her book before eyeing the girls silently. The girls returned the stare and slowly backed up quickly dispersing to their seats when the teacher returned. 
 
After school that day, instead of meeting up with Seohyun as planned she walked pass the school toward an old school supply store. A small alleyway across stone stairs remained hidden from view and there she found the few boys smoking. 
 
“Oh? What’s this?” 
 
“Well, isn’t this the little Chinese princess…” 
 
Victoria lunged at them and pulled their hair fiercely kicking them with as much strength as she could summon up. 
 
Hours later, she found herself standing in front of Eunhyuk’s small home and knocked on the door. As the information Seohyun had relayed to her over the phone earlier, Eunhyuk should be the only one home since both his parents returned late from work. 
 
After a second the door clicked open and an Eunhyuk dressed plainly in long shorts with a dirty white shirt stared back at her. The bruise, the cuts, and her cut lip must have surprised him when he didn’t say anything. 
 
“Got a band-aid?” Victoria asked. 
 
And that was how she started becoming friends with him.   

***Well, I've decided to make this a short story instead of a one shot because it's impossible for me to write up a one shot with this type of story line    -__-

***And oh ^^ Hyuk's been keeping an eye on her since before he even approached her :DD Heh~ Revenge is sweet ;D

***And Ohhh~ I'm loving my poster! I chose the right pictures :DD