three.

i'm broken in my faith
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

On somedays, Joshua hates his alcohol tolerance. His gut isn't strong but his mind stays sober. He's two bottles and twenty-one shots in, and while his stomach is starting to feel funny, he's so awake and sensitive in the mind that it's become a point of frustration.

 

He spots Jisoo in one of the middle lounges, praying exaggeratedly, complete with the pastor hand-gestures, for the red solo cup in her hand to not be spiked with the Rohypnol drug, to make her friends crack up. They explode into guffaws, until that girl that looks like an anime character stops laughing.

"Wait, what's Rohypnol?" she asks.


The date drug, Joshua says to himself. At least after years of reading up on med chem, thinking he could do it, he could remember this. Once upon a time, i was good at it. Look at me now. Ugh. He at studying. Joshuae downs another three shots to drown his sorrows. He stares in Jisoo's general direction with so much pent-up frustration, he'd probably be able to pulverise her and everyone within a 10-mile radius. And almost like she feels him burning a hole through her body, she looks back with a steely gaze.

 

Usually, he'd look away. Today, he doesn't ing care. He doesn't ing want to talk about God. He's not the easily-happy, al Hong Jisoo from the past anymore.

Joshua makes sure Jisoo's looking. He grabs the waist of the girl next to him and pulls her close to his body.

"Hey, what's your name? Don't think i've ever seen you around. Although, yeah, I've seen you looking at me."

She laughs coquettishly, putting an arm around his neck. "Seolhyun. I'm don't attend your uni, probably. And yeah, I wasn't trying to be discreet."

Joshua gratifies the conversation with an obligatory laugh.  "Nice dress," he says as he watches Myungeun unknowingly drag Jisoo and friends closer to his general area. Awesome.

Seolhyun 'accidentally' trips (at this point he suspects it's on purpose) and manages to press her chest against his. "I know."

"Can I talk you out of it?" Joshua smirks, purposely projecting his voice louder so that Jisoo would hear. Take that.

"With a face like yours, I wouldn't refuse," she says. "However, your face could look even better."

He smiles winningly. "Oh, tell me."

"It'd look better... if i sat on it." Well that was forward. Jisoo grimaces and turns back to her conversation. Joshua can hardly catch a breath as the Seolhyun girl grabs his wrist and drags him away from the crowd, towards the bathrooms.

 

 

 

 

Seo Jisoo sometimes gets dragged to parties by her friends. She's street smart, and yet, not the lonely girl that sits by the bar, trying to chat up the nerdy bartender with a mid-life crisis too huge for a 23 year old. She's not the one you see huddled up in less than hygenic bathrooms with a college guy's tongue in ; she's the loud cheery girl that's facilitating a heated match of beer pong. always 200 percent sober, and filled to the brim with the lamest ing jokes you'll ever hear from a SNU freshman.

 

And that's exactly what she's doing now. Myungeun has a phenomenal alcohol tolerance and is currently pwning a very -faced Mingyu at modified beer-pong. Jisoo's pretty sure the girls around would be rolling around laughing if they were sober, but as far as she's concerned, most people around this table are either as drunk as or so drunk that they're up for ing this version of Mingyu.

 

Whatever. Her phone is out, and she's taking as many compromising unglams that her SD-card will allow.

 

 

 

It's 3 am. Jisoo gives up on any hope of Mijoo or Myungeun rescuing her. Mijoo goes to parties just for the dancing, to outdo others (like she did with that Soonyoung guy earlier on). She places bets on dance battle, that girl doesn't ever kid. She probably went home with Soonyoung, conveniently forgetting about her existence.

For all Myungeun complains about nobody ever seeing her as a girl, Wonwoo is drunk cuddling a sleeping Myungeun, being surprisingly vanilla with everything. Just yesterday, he was proclaiming that Myungeun's the naggy sister he'd never wanted, pretending he didn't see the grimace on Myungeun's face. Why the u lyinnnnnn, her mind sings.

 

It's about time she headed back to the dorms. It's a good thing she had Google mapped a public transport route out from Jeonghan's summer house back home. She doesn't really do parties, but thank God it's over!11!!!!!!!!1!! Dodging advances and shady stuff wasn't easy, and she had to physically stop herself from drinking more than half a glass of the Saku beer because what in the world it tasted so good?  She didn't actually know that her own roommate, Jiyeon, had gone to the same party. But Jiyeon's a tiny little flower straight from a shoujo manga, and Jisoo would be lying if she didn't feel the immense need to protect her and act as her personal security guard for the whole night until she headed home with her own friends at one thirty. She'd seen Jeonghan stare at Jiyeon like he'd been personally enthralled by an angel of the Lord and it just didn't sit well with her.

 

Absentmindedly, she wonders what Joshua's doing now. Probably sleeping with someone else in some kind of post- bliss. It's amazing, in a not really positive way, how he's changed. She still remembers him teaching her how to play the guitar back when they were sixteen, she still remembers how his eyes shone with passion and conviction. He probably doesn't remember, he taught others too. She remembers him sharing his testimony and talking about being stupidly, wonderfully content in the Lord. And i was the hilariously flustered girl that teared-up and tried, and failed, to cover the tears with a snapback. And he probably doesn't remember me there either.

 

Joshua Hong's now failing classes and not giving a single flying . He's getting laid on a regular basis, he's sweet-talking girls into willingly peeling their layers, he doesn't even want to talk about Christianity. And he goes out of his way to avoid her, which is stupid because if he's afraid his little reputation would get ruined if she says a word, Jisoo would like it to be known that she's less than interested in tearing down his empire. However, does that make everything he'd done in the past fake? All the songs they'd sung together, all the small little good things he'd done, all the raw, unabashed smiles on his face, all the embarrassing bouts of breaking down in tears?

 

Those were sincere. She knew. And somewhere in him, it still exists, tucked away in a little box labeled 'not cool enough for skool'.

 

But for now? She'll just pray for him. He's pretty special, and Jisoo knows God isn't going to let him waste away. But it isn't her call. They're nothing to each other.

 

She heads to the bathroom to pee. The ride home is pretty goddamn long, and she doesn't want to risk anything. Jisoo enters the bathroom, pushing open cubicle doors to pick one just because she has the choice to, and there's the faint stench of vomit that contrasts greatly against the whole hotel restroom interior. Why of course, somebody had to get so drunk they had to regurgitate their remains. Totally should have expected that.

 

What she truly doesn't expect, is a drunk guy slumped against the toilet wall of the cubicle at the far end. With vomit on his shirt. And a bloodied nose. In the ing girl's toilet, okay then. He doesn't look up, and she's mildly concerned.

 

"Hey there, you alive fam?"

The creature on the floor murmurs.

Jisoo is only slightly relieved. That bloody, scratch that, still heavily bleeding nose is a definite thing of concern. She kneels beside him to check the injury, and tilts his head up, only to discover that he's Joshua.

"Oh my god," she breathes.

 

He opens his eyes.

 

"Oh my god," he manages to gurgle. Jisoo stares with a mix of bewilderment and concern.

"I'm dreaming," Joshua says, smiling at the ceiling, "Seo Jisoo said "oh my god"!"

Jisoo wants to run away and hide. She settles for ignoring the accusation.

"Did somebody beat you up?" she asks.

And there, Joshua's eyes start filling up with tears.

 

"Wait," Jisoo grips his shoulders, "Really, did anyone beat you up? I'll call the police and punch them for you, okay? I know a bit of Aikido!"

He shakes his head drowsily.

"I'm just. A loser, you know?"

 

It gets too quiet.

"Anyway, get up. We gotta get out of here, you need to treat your nose." Jisoo turns around and gets up, her arm reaching for the door knob.

He grabs her hand.

Joshua sits on the ground, peering at her with puppy eyes. "Don't leave me."

 

"Relax, Joshua. I'm a good Samaritan."

Joshua's grasp on her hands tightens.

 

She doesn't have time to deal with this and feel weird, so she pulls him up. Or tries to. It doesn't help when he's a drunken, unstable mess. When Joshua finally stands on his two feet, he does so for three splendid seconds and stumbles again. She catches him by the waist, and he leans against her so much that she almost trips herself.

It's too close

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter